Why are they called "Jehovah's Witnes...

Why are they called "Jehovah's Witnesses"?

Posted in the Jehovah's Witness Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#1 Jun 9, 2009
Why are the JW's called, "Jehovah's Witnesses" and not "Christians"?
If JW's appeal to Isa. 43:12 and Isa.44:8 for scriptural support that they should be called, "Jehovah's Witnesses" then what was the "new name" prophesied in Isa. 62:2?
Can't be "Jehovah's Witnesses", for God already used it 20 chapters earlier.
Could the new name be "Christian" after our savior "Christ"?
Nomi

Elliston, VA

#2 Jun 9, 2009
The name is based on the scripture at Isaiah 43:10-12.
hollieberry wrote:
If JW's appeal to Isa. 43:12 and Isa.44:8 for scriptural support that they should be called, "Jehovah's Witnesses" then what was the "new name" prophesied in Isa. 62:2?

Since: Nov 08

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Jun 9, 2009
hollieberry wrote:
Delusions of grandeur.

AlanF

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#4 Jun 9, 2009
hollieberry wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses are called Christians.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#5 Jun 9, 2009
Or more correctly Christians are Jehovah's witnesses.

Jesus Christ was Jehovah's witness and so are all who follow Christ.

*** Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness....
little lamb

Australia

#6 Jun 9, 2009
The name comes from Isaiah 43 [10] "you are my witnesses ' is the utterance of jehovah " even my servant whom i have chosen , in order that you may know and have faith in me .."
The problem comes about because if you go to Isaiah 43 [1] the beginning of that chapter god actually states who he is addressing as his witnesses
"jehovah has said your Creator O Jacob ..
and your former O Israel".
So he is calling Jacob and Israel his witnesses.
Now if you ask a witness which one is refering to him
Most do not see themselves as grafted on the tree of israel because they don't see themselves as being one of the 144,000
So then you ask them if they see themselves as Jacob?
Well their publications always refers to jacob as fleshly Israel
So who are gods witnesses really?
They are the Israel of God, those in union with jesus christ.
And jacob - fleshly Israel because god is going to prove himself their god by some hard lessons.
So who are these people who believe they are neither israel or jacob?
They are vulnerable people being misled in one of the cunningest schemes thought up by Satan.
2 Thessalonians 2 [9] but the lawless one's presence is according to the operation of satan with every powerful work and lyiong signs and portents and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing because they did not love the truth [ christ is the truth] "
Now i believe this has been going on since the Apostles left the earthly scene, and has been going on for generations, we are now at the end tail of the deception.
unlisted

Greensboro, NC

#7 Jun 9, 2009
no they are not Christians..

Christians do not go to memorials and turn their back on Jesus.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 9, 2009
Nomi wrote:
The name is based on the scripture at Isaiah 43:10-12.
<quoted text>
I already stated that Nomi, my question is:
What was the "new name" prophesied in Isa. 62:2?

Location hidden

#9 Jun 9, 2009
Gareth wrote:
<quoted text>
Jehovah's Witnesses are called Christians.
No, they are called Jehovah's witnesses.
Pat

AOL

#10 Jun 9, 2009
Are the Jehovah's Witnesses teaching and preaching what the apostles did?

Acts 3:20"and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before,

Notice what was proclaimed all throughout the book of Acts, the crucifixion and the Resurrection,
Acts 2:23: " Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death."

Acts 4:2:." they taught the people and preached in Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

Acts 4:10: " Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11:This is the stone which was rejected by you builders, which is become the chief cornerstone. 12: Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Acts 8:5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them.

Acts 10:43 Through his name whoever believes in him will receive forgiveness of sins.”

Acts 10:36 Peter preached peace through Jesus Christ- he is LORD OF ALL .“

Acts 11:20 Barnabas and Paul Preached Jesus

Acts 13:33-39 The death and resurrection are preached,v.38 " through this man is preached the forgiveness of sins."

Acts 17:2-3: "Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ."..." V.18 Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, "What does this babbler want to say?" Others said, "He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods," because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection."

Rom. 1:16-17 In every sermon his death is given prominence The good news centers on the person and work of Jesus.(Rom. 4:16 Rom..5:2) Not on paradise earth. You can't inherit paradise earth until your born again into the kingdom by the Spirit- you must accept Jesus as your savior.

2 Tim 1:10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel," Notice this was revealed by the saviors appearing not in some future time. as it says in Heb 9:15" And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance."

Resurrection Acts 2:23,31,33,4:2 Acts 4:10, 13:33-39 death and resurrection 17:18 believing 8:37,10:36 Peter preached peace through Jesus Christ - he is LORD OF ALL ."

This is not the same one the JWs bring today!

We must conclude the gospel the disciples preached is not the same gospel the JW preach .It is another gospel.
Pat

AOL

#11 Jun 9, 2009
(Paul) 9:20 Immediately after Paul’s conversion he "Preached Christ in the synagogues that he is the SON OF GOD." vs. 22 proving Jesus is the Christ 9:42 many believed on the Lord (Jesus)
(Philip) Acts 8:5 'Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them..." 12 " But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, " v.35" Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him." V.37 Philip when sharing with the eunuch was asked to be baptized, he agreed with the qualification "If you believe with all your heart you may." He replied "I believe Jesus is the Christ the SON OF GOD."

(Peter)Acts 10:36 Peter preached "peace through Jesus Christ"- he is LORD OF ALL . " 10:43 "Through his name whoever believes in him will receive forgiveness of sins."

Acts 11:20 Barnabas and Paul Preached Jesus. Over and over we find it centers on his work and his personhood.

So all the Apostles were Jesus witnesses
and so should we be .Jesus shows us the Father to know the Father we have to know the Son .

“To God be the glory!”

Since: Feb 09

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#12 Jun 9, 2009
little lamb wrote:
The name comes from Isaiah 43 [10] "you are my witnesses ' is the utterance of jehovah " even my servant whom i have chosen , in order that you may know and have faith in me .."
The problem comes about because if you go to Isaiah 43 [1] the beginning of that chapter god actually states who he is addressing as his witnesses
"jehovah has said your Creator O Jacob ..
and your former O Israel".

So he is calling Jacob and Israel his witnesses.
Now if you ask a witness which one is refering to him
Most do not see themselves as grafted on the tree of israel because they don't see themselves as being one of the 144,000
So then you ask them if they see themselves as Jacob?
Well their publications always refers to jacob as fleshly Israel
So who are gods witnesses really?
They are the Israel of God, those in union with jesus christ.
And jacob - fleshly Israel because god is going to prove himself their god by some hard lessons.
So who are these people who believe they are neither israel or jacob?
They are vulnerable people being misled in one of the cunningest schemes thought up by Satan.
2 Thessalonians 2 [9] but the lawless one's presence is according to the operation of satan with every powerful work and lyiong signs and portents and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing because they did not love the truth [ christ is the truth] "
Now i believe this has been going on since the Apostles left the earthly scene, and has been going on for generations, we are now at the end tail of the deception.
Wonderful post. Very insightful. Thank you LL. Just a couple of silly things I can't help pointing out:
1) most cunning sounds a lot better than cunningest,

B) I think it is "tail end" not "end tail." ;o)

Agape,
Dave
Nomi

Elliston, VA

#13 Jun 9, 2009
We follow Jesus...that makes us Christians. Hollie this is what I meant, concerning how you feel about us.
hollieberry wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are called Jehovah's witnesses.
Nomi

Elliston, VA

#14 Jun 9, 2009
Jesus preached about GOD's Kingdom, as the hope for mankind, and his part in bringing this about. Exactly what we preach.
Pat wrote:
(Paul) 9:20 Immediately after Paul’s conversion he "Preached Christ in the synagogues that he is the SON OF GOD." vs. 22 proving Jesus is the Christ 9:42 many believed on the Lord (Jesus)
(Philip) Acts 8:5 'Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them..." 12 " But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, " v.35" Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him." V.37 Philip when sharing with the eunuch was asked to be baptized, he agreed with the qualification "If you believe with all your heart you may." He replied "I believe Jesus is the Christ the SON OF GOD."
(Peter)Acts 10:36 Peter preached "peace through Jesus Christ"- he is LORD OF ALL . " 10:43 "Through his name whoever believes in him will receive forgiveness of sins."
Acts 11:20 Barnabas and Paul Preached Jesus. Over and over we find it centers on his work and his personhood.
So all the Apostles were Jesus witnesses
and so should we be .Jesus shows us the Father to know the Father we have to know the Son .

Location hidden

#15 Jun 9, 2009
Nomi wrote:
We follow Jesus...that makes us Christians. Hollie this is what I meant, concerning how you feel about us.
<quoted text>
I follow Jesus and I am not an Jehovah Witness.
Jehovah witness means exactly what it says "Jehovah's witness", do you really not see that?

I am a witness for Jesus Christ, as taught in the Bible.
Nomi

Elliston, VA

#16 Jun 9, 2009
You and I believe very differently too.
hollieberry wrote:
<quoted text>
I follow Jesus and I am not an Jehovah Witness.
Jehovah witness means exactly what it says "Jehovah's witness", do you really not see that?
I am a witness for Jesus Christ, as taught in the Bible.
SonofObed

United States

#17 Jun 9, 2009
hollieberry wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses choose this name, or rather their leaders in Brooklyn did, so that they could more effectively communicate the fact that they had a direct line to God. Jehovah tells them what to write, sometimes it's new information, stuff that contradicts old teachings....regardless this special relationship the GB enjoys with Jehovah God Almighty is reflected in the name they chose for their religion.

Location hidden

#18 Jun 9, 2009
Nomi wrote:
You and I believe very differently too.
<quoted text>
Stating the obvious.
Just trying to get you to see this:
Jehovah's Witnesses was the "new name" prophesied in Isa. 62:2, right?
Well, it can't be "Jehovah's Witnesses", for God already used it 20 chapters earlier.

Location hidden

#19 Jun 9, 2009
SonofObed wrote:
<quoted text>
Jehovah's Witnesses choose this name, or rather their leaders in Brooklyn did, so that they could more effectively communicate the fact that they had a direct line to God. Jehovah tells them what to write, sometimes it's new information, stuff that contradicts old teachings....regardless this special relationship the GB enjoys with Jehovah God Almighty is reflected in the name they chose for their religion.
That is interesting.
May I ask, are you a JW?
Nomi

Elliston, VA

#20 Jun 9, 2009
The scripture is Isaiah 43:10-12. AND we are Christians, because we follow Christ. Others claim the same...I am not saying they can't. Doesn't mean we agree tho.
hollieberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Stating the obvious.
Just trying to get you to see this:
Jehovah's Witnesses was the "new name" prophesied in Isa. 62:2, right?
Well, it can't be "Jehovah's Witnesses", for God already used it 20 chapters earlier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trinity...why does it matter?! 5 min Frindly 83
How the anti-trinitarian Watchtower doctrine is... 7 min Samson 138
Let's try this again, 144,000 ONLY? No jw has b... 10 min BiblePreacher 249
If Jesus is NOT Your Mediator, How Can you Pray... 15 min Jparkh81 241
The Mysteries: Beauty and the Beast = Adam and ... 1 hr JesusCristos2015 1
What is the KINGDOM of GOD to YOU? 1 hr rsss1 13
"666" - Trinity doctrine identifies sea beast 1 hr Frindly 2
Just WHERE are the 'Immortal Souls' of Adam & Eve? (Nov '16) 2 hr red blood relative 1,875
JWs are so correct that Jesus is Michael? 3 hr Spike 698
More from around the web