Has God ever spoken to you?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve Lowry

Marietta, GA

#1 Jun 25, 2007
In the spring of 1984, I was at an all time low in my life. I drove to the beach and it was that there I asked God to come into my life for the first time. The very next morning He began working. I smoked cigarettes back then and it was His first order of business for me to quit. The cigarette lighter in my new car, all of a sudden stop working that morning and it never worked again. I still kept smoking, but I was suspected it was He. That very morning a young woman came up to me and started talking to me about her church. I went the following Sunday and made life long friends there. A few months later I was driving early one morning before sun-up and as I started to light my next cigarette, someone beeped their horn at me. Though I saw no other car around, it frightened me, so I pulled the car over and stopped for a moment. Not seeing anyone else, I pulled back on the road. A moment or two later I started to light up again, and again I heard someone beeping at me. Once again I pulled over. But this time I was convinced there was no other car around and that it must be my own horn beeping though I hadn’t even touched the horn! Something inside me told me that God was telling me to stop smoking. However shaken, I once again started driving. I waited a little while before lighting up again. My horn was quiet. Then as I started to light up one more time (hands trembling), my horn started beeping again! I then knew in my heart that this was God getting my attention and telling me to stop smoking. I kept driving along, horn beeping all the time. I put the cigarette down but the horn kept beeping. I ‘knew’ that I had to throw everything related to cigarettes out the window as I drove along. When I had thrown everything out (cig’s, matches, etc.) the horn immediately stopped beeping. I had that car for several years after that event and the horn never blew “independently” again after that morning.(I’m convinced that if I had kept smoking all these years I would be dead now, and that wasn’t His plan for my life.) That really happened, and it’s a very personal story for me to share. I think it honors God to share with others what He has done in our lives.

Has God ever done anything ‘supernatural’ in your life?
jimi

San Antonio, TX

#2 Jun 26, 2007
steve,

"Has God ever done anything 'supernatural' in your life?"

Some Large Things, some small things, ALWAYS SUPER THINGS!
diogenes

Plano, TX

#3 Jun 26, 2007
Steve, you say God told you smoking was wrong. Why didn't God tell all the other born agains and their churches that smoking is wrong? Doesn't he want to save their lives too?

BTW, a doctor could have told you the same thing. In fact there is a warning on every pack.
Steve Lowry

Marietta, GA

#4 Jun 26, 2007
diogenes wrote:
Steve, you say God told you smoking was wrong. Why didn't God tell all the other born agains and their churches that smoking is wrong? Doesn't he want to save their lives too?
BTW, a doctor could have told you the same thing. In fact there is a warning on every pack.
Yea, but I have a better relationship with God than I do with my doctor!(Smile) As for why doesn’t God work with everyone, every time the same way, well, I guess you’ll have to ask HIM that. Twenty-seven years now a non-smoker. Beep Beep!
Steve Lowry

Marietta, GA

#5 Jun 26, 2007
jimi wrote:
steve,
"Has God ever done anything 'supernatural' in your life?"
Some Large Things, some small things, ALWAYS SUPER THINGS!
God is good all the time! And He is always working. Care to share any personal stories? I'd love to hear em'.
RedhorseWoman

Providence, RI

#6 Jun 26, 2007
Quite often things have occurred that I can only ascribe to divine guidance.
Steve Lowry

Marietta, GA

#7 Jun 27, 2007
Hey guys thanks for the replies. Sometimes you just know that you know that you know, that that’s God working in your life. I find it especially so when I have a need, and then that need is filled/covered. That doesn’t mean of course that every time I have a need and it that resolves itself, that that’s necessarily the hand of God. I think a balance is important in these things. But, I guess I’d rather error on the side of giving God too much credit for the things that happen in my life, than to not give Him enough credit for those things that may seem ‘questionable’. I prefer being grateful for the good things that happen to me, than just shrugging my shoulders and thinking that’s just happenstance. I like thanking God for those good things that happen to me in my life. I think its pleasing to God to thank Him. My experience as a JW was that God only got involved with the really big things, like world events and such. I was never taught as a JW that God really got involved with our day to day personal lives (hands on as it were). Maybe it’s a kinda, you don’t receive if you don’t ask kinda thing? I dunno. As for my horn beeping experience, I know that was the hand of God. I have asthma and if I would have kept smoking it would have evolved into emphysema by now and I would either be dead or in the process of dying. Some might say,“Why doesn’t God beep everyone’s horn to get them to stop smoking”, like diogenes has kind of suggested here. Well, maybe, God uses many “horns” in people’s lives to get their attention to stop doing the negative things in their lives. The key is, you gotta be listening. In my case it was my car’s horn. Obviously this story of mine sounds ridiculous to the atheist or someone who has a preconceived notion about what God does or doesn’t do in peoples lives. I only know what He has done in MY life. And I am grateful for His loving provision. He has ALWAYS provided my needs.

Thank you, Father. I know that I am not worthy of your loving provisions, but for all that read this, I want to give thanks to You for all those things that happen in my life. I know you love me, as well as everyone one else. I’m no one special, just your child.

“I don't know”

Since: Dec 06

Zagreb,Croatia

#8 Jun 27, 2007
RedhorseWoman wrote:
Quite often things have occurred that I can only ascribe to divine guidance.
Same here
Setfree

Loudon, TN

#9 Jun 27, 2007
I Heard trumpets and bells during a song we were singing during worship Sunday night at church. I asked my friend who was standing next to me if she or her husband could hear them and they couldn't.
During the benediction I heard them again when the song was being played.
We have a full orchestra on Sunday morning but we only have a piano and drums on Sunday night.
A woman we (my friend and I and another friend) had gone to visit two weeks before came to worship Sunday night and went forward. we joined her and I heard the trumpets and bells again, only louder.
As we were praying at the altar, I heard the sound of voices singing but thought it was other church members.
When the woman turned around she was crying and I asked her if she would like to accept Jesus' offer, join the church and be saved.
She said Yes.
I have never had anything like that happen since Jesus saved me and wonder if I heard the angels rejoicing?

Of course, the Witchtower says I am demonised for leaving God's ONLY channel of communication. they always have an answer for everything, or so it seems on the surface.
Steve Lowry

Marietta, GA

#11 Jun 27, 2007
Setfree wrote:
I Heard trumpets and bells during a song we were singing during worship Sunday night at church. I asked my friend who was standing next to me if she or her husband could hear them and they couldn't.
During the benediction I heard them again when the song was being played.
We have a full orchestra on Sunday morning but we only have a piano and drums on Sunday night.
A woman we (my friend and I and another friend) had gone to visit two weeks before came to worship Sunday night and went forward. we joined her and I heard the trumpets and bells again, only louder.
As we were praying at the altar, I heard the sound of voices singing but thought it was other church members.
When the woman turned around she was crying and I asked her if she would like to accept Jesus' offer, join the church and be saved.
She said Yes.
I have never had anything like that happen since Jesus saved me and wonder if I heard the angels rejoicing?
Of course, the Witchtower says I am demonised for leaving God's ONLY channel of communication. they always have an answer for everything, or so it seems on the surface.
Wow! It would seem you were allowed a glimpse into Heaven, if only audibly! Its amazing what God allows us to experience when we are open to His involvement.

Sadly, the JW’s have got Him so predetermined and boxed up that I would think that even God He would need a checklist before moving in their lives. You ain’t gonna box God. He will move the way He desires. The problem is, if you not looking in the direction He’s moving’ cuz you “know” He doesn’t move that way, you’ll miss Him. Yes, I know the Watchtower Society has an “answer” for everything. But I’ll take, I don’t presume to know the mind of God, for a hundred Alex! I think that when we get to Heaven and we stand before God, on His desk we will see a little plaque. It will say,” Welcome to the Universe. I’m God and you’re not.”(Smile)
Paul

Auburn, CA

#12 Jul 30, 2007
I have a problem with the concept of KNOWING that god exists and KNOWING anyone is listening to my prayers.
My supposed "god given" reasoning tells me that I don't or can't ever know for sure unless there is proof. I can't say this proof has surfaced for myself, or anyone else in the history of mankind.
I suppose that is why it's called faith but that is still just that....faith.
Not KNOWING that god exists.
I also realize that it's plausible that god may, by nessesity, keep this proof from us for the purpose of having a "pure" observation of our morals and a accurate measure of our deeds.
But I still find this bothersome and although I try to maintain a relationship with god, sort of "just in case", sometimes I feel like like there's a very good chance, that I'm praying to no one.
Can anyone relate to this or offer any advice other than "just know without KNOWING"? because that's not fair for a mortal trying to truly understand life.
Steve Lowry

Miami, FL

#13 Jul 31, 2007
Paul wrote:
I have a problem with the concept of KNOWING that god exists and KNOWING anyone is listening to my prayers.
My supposed "god given" reasoning tells me that I don't or can't ever know for sure unless there is proof. I can't say this proof has surfaced for myself, or anyone else in the history of mankind.
I suppose that is why it's called faith but that is still just that....faith.
Not KNOWING that god exists.
I also realize that it's plausible that god may, by nessesity, keep this proof from us for the purpose of having a "pure" observation of our morals and a accurate measure of our deeds.
But I still find this bothersome and although I try to maintain a relationship with god, sort of "just in case", sometimes I feel like like there's a very good chance, that I'm praying to no one.
Can anyone relate to this or offer any advice other than "just know without KNOWING"? because that's not fair for a mortal trying to truly understand life.
I like your question and I will respond tonight with my two cents.
howdeedoodee control

Jerseyville, IL

#14 Jul 31, 2007
has the jw`s ever use inhalants on people inorder to create delusions about God?
God told me

Cape Coral, FL

#15 Jul 31, 2007
I saw God one night in a dream.
And told me to be better to my fellow man.
I said,"everyone God?"
He said,"yes everyone,Oh except liberals they suck."

LOL!!!!

“least in His Kingdom”

Since: Jul 07

Richmond Calif.

#16 Jul 31, 2007
My apologies to the person with the username of clyde, as I had posted earlier as a non-member. As my father was Clyde Sr., I am using my family name. As the posts I used earlier only allowed a finite amount of characters, I will give this a try and re-post if necessary. This is my testimony of part of my journey with my Lord and His speaking to me in signs and happenings. Steve and whoever else may read this, you be the Judge, am I crazy?
In 1959 at the age of 12, my neigbor friend and I took a bicycle ride to Cumberland Indiana, about a five mile trek. On the way back it started to rain and we were close to a church, we ran to the door and it was locked. I remember jumping back and saying "this cannot be the church of God." The rain stopped as quick as it had begun and continued home. I am telling years passed before this came to my mind again. In the summer of 1978 I was hitchhiking back from the west after

“least in His Kingdom”

Richmond Calif.

#17 Jul 31, 2007
delivering a truck. I don't know how you people write these long posts. Anyway, I slept along the hihgway, I-70, in east St. Louis. I woke up with hungry pains like I'd never felt before. A man stopped and I asked if he could drop me at place to eat. We rode a little ways and go into a cafe. I eat and he drinks a cup of coffee, never says a word. We get back into the car and go two miles and he pulls over to side, I said Something wrong? As I had told him I was going to Ind, I hadn't noticed we had come to a fork in the road. to be cont'

“least in His Kingdom”

Richmond Calif.

#18 Jul 31, 2007
He says " I am going to the left to Chicago." Now I had hitched over 100,000 miles by this time and had never witness such an act. Later that year my son was born and I was reading the bible all the way thru for the first time and reaching Timothy I felt the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I cried of joy and sorrow and realized the worth of my creator for the first time and what a low-life piece of **** I was. to be cont'

“least in His Kingdom”

Richmond Calif.

#19 Jul 31, 2007
In 1991 I got stuck in Albuquerque for three days and three nights in the rain on my way back to Indiana. I was half way thru the bible for the eighth time. I closed the book and I said Lord this Day forth I shall seek your living word. On the 3rd night I said unto my Lord Enough of this, for 13 years I have sought to know your Name. Is it Jehovah? Is it Jesus? It is Whatever? You show me, so that I may set in my heart forever. cont
Omerta

United States

#20 Jul 31, 2007
No....God has never spoken to me....as I am far too sinful.
blackprearl

Thornlie, Australia

#21 Jul 31, 2007
Yes God has spoken to me through music, litriture, especially the bible , he has spoken to me through nature, family, enimies, friends.
He has always been there with or without religion especially without.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's try this again, 144,000 ONLY? No jw has b... 2 min Jparkh81 3,109
Equal to God! 5 min rsss1 206
Proof that the WTBTS was a member of the United... (Dec '08) 14 min dlmacoop 73
For the Few that QUESTION~ 47 min dlmacoop 180
YES- People WILL get OUT of HELL! (Nov '15) 56 min dlmacoop 4,663
Masonic eye in pyramid assembly hall 1 hr dlmacoop 12
Reinstatement and the prodigal son. 1 hr DR SOS 41
The Mad JW's board 2 hr DR SOS 53
"The soldier knew what he signed for" so said T... 2 hr DR SOS 47
More from around the web