First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lemmy

Bankstown, Australia

#1 Nov 5, 2012
If the Holy Spirit is just an active force,how can it speak and lead,as in Acts chapter 13?

“The proof is in the pudding!”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 5, 2012
Lemmy wrote:
If the Holy Spirit is just an active force,how can it speak and lead,as in Acts chapter 13?
The bible personifies holy spirit. That's why it's spoken of as speaking etc.
Do you know what personification is?
Lemmy

Bankstown, Australia

#3 Nov 5, 2012
Duh-boy wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible personifies holy spirit. That's why it's spoken of as speaking etc.
Do you know what personification is?
To give human characteristics to animals,objects,etc

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 5, 2012
I have asked this question many times, Lemmy. I will not attempt to answer it, but I DO think you deserve a much better answer than what you have been given.

“The proof is in the pudding!”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#5 Nov 5, 2012
emmaswish wrote:
I have asked this question many times, Lemmy. I will not attempt to answer it, but I DO think you deserve a much better answer than what you have been given.
The answer I have given is the truth! The bible personifies holy spirit. It is not actuall a person.

Here is more detail for anyone interested:

*** rs p. 380 - p. 381 Spirit ***

What is the holy spirit?

A comparison of Bible texts that refer to the holy spirit shows that it is spoken of as ‘filling’ people; they can be ‘baptized’ with it; and they can be “anointed” with it.(Luke 1:41; Matt. 3:11; Acts 10:38) None of these expressions would be appropriate if the holy spirit were a person.

Jesus also referred to the holy spirit as a “helper”(Greek, parakletos), and he said that this helper would “teach,”“bear witness,”“speak,” and ‘hear.’(John 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26; 16:13)

It is not unusual in the Scriptures for something to be personified. For example, wisdom is said to have “children.”(Luke 7:35) Sin and death are spoken of as being kings.(Rom. 5:14, 21) While some texts say that the spirit “spoke,” other passages make clear that this was done through angels or humans.(Acts 4:24, 25; 28:25; Matt. 10:19, 20; compare Acts 20:23 with 21:10, 11.)

At 1 John 5:6-8, not only the spirit but also “the water and the blood” are said to ‘bear witness.’ So, none of the expressions found in these texts in themselves prove that the holy spirit is a person.
The correct identification of the holy spirit must fit all the scriptures that refer to that spirit. With this viewpoint, it is logical to conclude that the holy spirit is the active force of God. It is not a person but is a powerful force that God causes to emanate from himself to accomplish his holy will.—Ps. 104:30; 2 Pet. 1:21; Acts 4:31.
Lemmy

Bankstown, Australia

#6 Nov 5, 2012
emmaswish wrote:
I have asked this question many times, Lemmy. I will not attempt to answer it, but I DO think you deserve a much better answer than what you have been given.
Thank you,i think it's just more jw twisting of scriptures,i believe in the Godhead,not the trinity as such,but 3 equal beings, all God,after all when you are baptized it's in the name(not names)of the father,son and holy spirit.the nwt is just a satanic bible inspired by spiritists Westcott and Hort.

“The proof is in the pudding!”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 5, 2012
Lemmy wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you,i think it's just more jw twisting of scriptures,i believe in the Godhead,not the trinity as such,but 3 equal beings, all God,after all when you are baptized it's in the name(not names)of the father,son and holy spirit.the nwt is just a satanic bible inspired by spiritists Westcott and Hort.
If holy spirit is a person, what is the personal name of holy spirit?

The Father has a name, YHWH/Yahweh/Jehovah (whatever floats your boat), the Son has a name Yeshua/Jesus, what is holy spritis name? Since he has no name, your understanding falls flat. Since you can't refute this, why should I believe holy spirit is a literal being?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#8 Nov 5, 2012
Because "he" is called the "comforter" and is given gender. Why is the Holy spirit not referred to as it? Do you look at Holy spirit as a name or a title? The Father has a name and a title.

I am sure Lemmy can refute this.

What is problem Duh, you just came on this forum this morning looking to start fights with everyone. Won't work, they laugh at you, check out an "Open letter to Topix".
Lemmy

Sydney, Australia

#9 Nov 5, 2012
emmaswish wrote:
Because "he" is called the "comforter" and is given gender. Why is the Holy spirit not referred to as it? Do you look at Holy spirit as a name or a title? The Father has a name and a title.
I am sure Lemmy can refute this.
What is problem Duh, you just came on this forum this morning looking to start fights with everyone. Won't work, they laugh at you, check out an "Open letter to Topix".
I agree with you,jw's believe anything the wts tell them,without question,thats why they will end up in the lake of fire with the catholics etc.Who said do not be misled?
Lemmy

Sydney, Australia

#10 Nov 5, 2012
If you translated Genesis 1:2 from hebrew to english how does Spirit of God,become God's Active Force?

“The proof is in the pudding!”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#11 Nov 5, 2012
Lemmy wrote:
If you translated Genesis 1:2 from hebrew to english how does Spirit of God,become God's Active Force?
Why go on to another question when you have not successfully responded refuted to the answer given to your first question!? Holy spirit is personified in the bible.

“The proof is in the pudding!”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 5, 2012
Lemmy wrote:
If you translated Genesis 1:2 from hebrew to english how does Spirit of God,become God's Active Force?
Just to answer the question for those actually interested in the answer:

“And . . . active force (spirit).” Heb., weruach. Besides being translated “spirit,” ruach is also translated “wind” and by other words that denote an invisible active force. See 3:8 ftn,“Breezy part”; 8:1 ftn.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#13 Nov 5, 2012
Duh-boy wrote:
<quoted text>
If holy spirit is a person, what is the personal name of holy spirit?
The Father has a name, YHWH/Yahweh/Jehovah (whatever floats your boat), the Son has a name Yeshua/Jesus, what is holy spritis name? Since he has no name, your understanding falls flat. Since you can't refute this, why should I believe holy spirit is a literal being?
lets see now, the holy spirit has a name, it is yhwh, and when he speaks he speaks in the first person of himself-yhwh

so.... the holy spirit shows up in the form of a messenger angel of god, flesh and spirit,.....and it is god showing up, not someone else.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#14 Nov 5, 2012
Acts 5:3-4
King James Version (KJV)

3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
Unknown

Australia

#15 Nov 5, 2012
Lemmy wrote:
If the Holy Spirit is just an active force,how can it speak and lead,as in Acts chapter 13?
The Spirit of God is His channel of communication, just as a radio is a channel communication. The radio isn't a person and neither is the Spirit of God. The Spirit of God can perform a wide range of duties for God as His channel.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#16 Nov 5, 2012
Unknown wrote:
<quoted text> The Spirit of God is His channel of communication, just as a radio is a channel communication. The radio isn't a person and neither is the Spirit of God. The Spirit of God can perform a wide range of duties for God as His channel.
the person talking on the radio is himself, not the radio...
...so please stop bs-ing and lying and trying to mislead everyone with tricky talk

the holy spirit is god, not someone else.... its god, not an impersonal additional force..... its god talking to you, not someone else

you anti trinitarions sure hate the nature of god..... i can tell you are jealous of his nature and power.
apple

Singapore, Singapore

#18 Nov 5, 2012
holy spirit teaches you the secret of the bible
and how to be an obedient child of God.
Unknown

Marion, Australia

#19 Nov 5, 2012
Lemmy wrote:
If the Holy Spirit is just an active force,how can it speak and lead,as in Acts chapter 13?
Luk 11:49 Therefore also the Wisdom of God said,'I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and persecute,'

Just because something is recorded as having spoken, that doesn't make the thing speaking a person. If that were the case the 'Wisdom of God' would be the 4th person of the GodHead.
Unknown

Marion, Australia

#20 Nov 5, 2012
red blood relative wrote:
<quoted text>
the person talking on the radio is himself, not the radio...
...so please stop bs-ing and lying and trying to mislead everyone with tricky talk
the holy spirit is god, not someone else.... its god, not an impersonal additional force..... its god talking to you, not someone else
you anti trinitarions sure hate the nature of god..... i can tell you are jealous of his nature and power.
Since you are claiming that the Holy Spirit is YHWH, the onus is upon you to prove that. What evidence is there that the Holy Spirit is YHWH.

Don't bother using the evidence of the Spirit speaking, as that doesn't prove the Spirit is YHWH (refer to above post)
Lemmy

Marrickville, Australia

#21 Nov 6, 2012
Unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
Luk 11:49 Therefore also the Wisdom of God said,'I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and persecute,'
Just because something is recorded as having spoken, that doesn't make the thing speaking a person. If that were the case the 'Wisdom of God' would be the 4th person of the GodHead.
Then when you get baptized it's in the name(singular)of the father,son and actve force,doesn't make sense.You should read the bible as it reads and not clutch at straws to fit your doctrine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the trinity? (Apr '13) 6 min Christian Trucker 16,773
The Anointed 22 min Lordylordy9111 136
mars. 1 hr Icaris 12
Why does umanity pay whe God is at fault? 1 hr Questioning 9
Matrimonial difficulties 1 hr Remnant 143999 3
What are the new heavens and the new earth? (Mar '13) 1 hr joe 1,447
PARADISE-Heaven or earth? 1 hr Remnant 143999 49
JW'S are 100% right about the trinity? 3 hr the Mad JW 1,195
Why I'm STILL one of Jehovah's Witnesses... 4 hr the Mad JW 293
Was C.T. Russell a con artist or a man of God? 6 hr Sisters Of The Moon 77
•••

Jehovah's Witness People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••