Why the name "Jehovah"?

Since: Aug 08

Eugene, OR

#1 Nov 23, 2012
Why is the use of the name "Jehovah" so essential in the JW faith?
bystander no more

Elk Grove, CA

#2 Nov 23, 2012
Do you have a close relationship with anyone whose personal name you do not know? For people to whom God is nameless he is often merely an impersonal force, not a real person, not someone that they know and love and to whom they can speak from the heart in prayer. If they do pray, their prayers are merely a ritual, a formalistic repetition of memorized expressions.

True Christians have a commission from Jesus Christ to make disciples of people of all nations. When teaching these people, how would it be possible to identify the true God as different from the false gods of the nations? Only by using His personal name, as the Bible itself does.(Matt 28:19,20; 1 Cor 8:5,6)

Since: Aug 08

Eugene, OR

#3 Nov 23, 2012
The rendering "Jehovah" however, is a mistranslation. In fact, we only have the tetragrammaton "YHWH". The adding of any vowels is mere guesswork.

Secondly, the writers of the New Testament felt perfectly justified to replace "Yahweh" with "Kurios". It seems that JWs place an unnecessary emphasis on something that is quite trivial.

Thirdly, God has many names. In fact, it is believed that "YHWH" is derivative of the description God gave Himself in Ex 3:14 — "ehyeh" — meaning "I AM". His "name" therefore is a description of His divine aseity. God often uses attributes as His name in the Bible, but it is not the audible or written name that is important, but what the name represents and whether we believe it about God.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5 Nov 23, 2012
Victoruto wrote:
The rendering "Jehovah" however, is a mistranslation. In fact, we only have the tetragrammaton "YHWH". The adding of any vowels is mere guesswork.
Secondly, the writers of the New Testament felt perfectly justified to replace "Yahweh" with "Kurios". It seems that JWs place an unnecessary emphasis on something that is quite trivial.
Thirdly, God has many names. In fact, it is believed that "YHWH" is derivative of the description God gave Himself in Ex 3:14 — "ehyeh" — meaning "I AM". His "name" therefore is a description of His divine aseity. God often uses attributes as His name in the Bible, but it is not the audible or written name that is important, but what the name represents and whether we believe it about God.
Jesus' name appears a little over 800 times if the NT.

What would have happened if translators decided to remove Jesus' name, and replaced it with "man"?
apple

Singapore, Singapore

#6 Nov 23, 2012
dun know

Since: Aug 08

Eugene, OR

#7 Nov 24, 2012
Richardnak wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus' name appears a little over 800 times if the NT.
What would have happened if translators decided to remove Jesus' name, and replaced it with "man"?
We need not concern ourselves with "what ifs". We need to look at what is in fact the case.
little lamb

Saint Albans, Australia

#8 Nov 24, 2012
In the new covenant..Jesus is the mediator between God and men

And the new covenant Jesus mediates God Jehovah promises to become our God and we his people.Heb 8.

Many don't understand the signidicance of Jesus being our mediator...because through his blood there is forgiveness of our sins and through the Holy Spirit there is sanctification...Because it gives us a right standing with our great God Jehovah.

Also once you know the Jehovah means .."I will prove to be who I will prove to be"

Then you understand that just as Jesus name means " Jehovah saves"

You begin to experience the saving power of Jehovah God in our lives

he is the God that saves

he saves us from evil...sickness death , distress...Psalm 107.

We are the 'reclaimed ones of Jehovah, who he has reclaimed from the hand of the adversary...Hallelujah.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#9 Nov 24, 2012
Victoruto wrote:
<quoted text>
We need not concern ourselves with "what ifs". We need to look at what is in fact the case.
The fact would be, that no one would have the close feeling with Jesus as they do knowing and using his name.

The same is true of Jehovah. When you don't use His divine name, you don't have as close and endearing of a relationship with Him, just thinking of Him in some abstract way, an impersonal god.

“Christmas ONLY for Christians!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#10 Nov 24, 2012
The fake, fabricated word, "jehovah" is not in my Bible except for the following footnote:

jehovah in scripture…

Isaiah 47:11 (Mischief is actually the same as jehovah)

This Hebrew word is “hovah” and means
ruin or mischief. It is where the name
Jehovah comes from, which cannot be the
Father's name as there is no letter 'J' in
Hebrew, and Yahweh is not Elohim of
mischief. Jehovah is a false combination of
taking the four letters for the name Yahweh,
Y H W H and putting in the vowels for
Adonai. Jewish Rabbis started this tradition
during second temple times as they began to
think the sacred name YAHWEH was too
holy to pronounce. So not to inadvertently
pronounce the name they changed the
vowel pointing in the Masoretic text with
the vowels of Adonai.
Steve

Nanaimo, Canada

#11 Nov 24, 2012
its not only essential for JW's but anyone who wants to survive the end of this system of Satans. JOHN 17;3,25,26; Romans 10:13 quting Joel 2:31,32; 2Timothy 2:19,Rom.10:13;Isaih 26:13; Zephaniah 3:9.
and for the comment on YHWH we do not know the vowels we do not know Jesus either for positive

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#12 Nov 24, 2012
Victoruto wrote:
Why is the use of the name "Jehovah" so essential in the JW faith?
. Why ??? because it is the name their founders gave their Church.. Oyi! And .. you have to know that after their copious use of the name.. WELL! it would be down right embarrasing to have to Change the name of their Church.. IF they ever came up with the real name of GOD.. So..they use it.. And tell people that it's okay..as everyone is used to it..and know who is refered to..
WELL.. as far as the members go.. They could have been Phreds Witnesses.. And yup!..they would have gotten use to that to.

Since: Jan 12

United States

#13 Nov 24, 2012
Richardnak wrote:
<quoted text>

The same is true of Jehovah. When you don't use His divine name, you don't have as close and endearing of a relationship with Him, just thinking of Him in some abstract way, an impersonal god.
no kidding?.... so unless you call your parents by their first name, you think of them as some abstract impersonal parents?
oh my!!!

guess what folks, jws don't really have a relationship with the father or the son.... they just know how to dress up and pretend.....as they follow the latest instructions their governing body gives them, including what to say at your door.
little lamb

Rye, Australia

#14 Nov 24, 2012
The name Jehovah, means I will prove to be, who I will prove to be"

Jehovah said he allowed Pharaoh to remain, to show his power and make a beautiful name for himself"

To have a God, who proves to be our God is wonderful..and just like he used Moses he uses Jesus to guide us through every aspect of our lives to reach the promised land.

And God this time in the new covenant he mediates through Christ, promises to give us a heart that will never leave him..he will act for us and unite himself with us..its such a wonderful promise.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#15 Nov 24, 2012
red blood relative wrote:
<quoted text>
no kidding?.... so unless you call your parents by their first name, you think of them as some abstract impersonal parents?
oh my!!!
guess what folks, jws don't really have a relationship with the father or the son.... they just know how to dress up and pretend.....as they follow the latest instructions their governing body gives them, including what to say at your door.
RBR,

Try reading some of David's prayers and musings of Jehovah in 2 Samuel 7:18-24, or in the Psalms, such as Psalm 38 or 51.

Use a translation that uses God's name, and see how David's use of God's name was what brought him closer to his Creator, and brought him comfort by thinking on God's name.

Did David ever just use the term "Father" in his prayers, as you suggest we should do?

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#16 Nov 24, 2012
Victoruto wrote:
Why is the use of the name "Jehovah" so essential in the JW faith?
In 1931 when the JW founder, Joe Rutherford, was considering a name for his sect, he had several choices open to him. Since old Joe was a Missouri lawyer, he felt that his religion's name should include the term "witness." As old Joe felt more comfortable with the Old Testament rather than the New, he decided to use the Divine Name, but which form? While Yahweh was the more correct pronunciation, he chose the lest correct form, Jehovah. Why? Because Joe wanted his religionists to also give some honor to him as their leader. Notice that Jehovah, when pronounced in English contains Rutherford's name, Joe. And when you say Jehovah's Witnesses in rapid succession it soon comes out "Joe's Witnesses."

Joe really liked the name and now the JWs are stuck with it. Moreover, they can't change their name to Yahweh's Witnesses as a breakaway group of JWs already uses that name.

Since: Jan 12

United States

#17 Nov 24, 2012
Admiral Kolchak wrote:
<quoted text>
In 1931 when the JW founder, Joe Rutherford, was considering a name for his sect, he had several choices open to him. Since old Joe was a Missouri lawyer, he felt that his religion's name should include the term "witness." As old Joe felt more comfortable with the Old Testament rather than the New, he decided to use the Divine Name, but which form? While Yahweh was the more correct pronunciation, he chose the lest correct form, Jehovah. Why? Because Joe wanted his religionists to also give some honor to him as their leader. Notice that Jehovah, when pronounced in English contains Rutherford's name, Joe. And when you say Jehovah's Witnesses in rapid succession it soon comes out "Joe's Witnesses."
Joe really liked the name and now the JWs are stuck with it. Moreover, they can't change their name to Yahweh's Witnesses as a breakaway group of JWs already uses that name.
i'll bet this is actually more true than a joke, cause i can see old joe sitting there with a cuban cigar and some of the finest boot leg whiskey in town and some coke, laughing his arse off about his 1925 invention that was getting him a free mansion in sandiego, while he was dreaming all this up to hold it together while the tax free donations were rolling in and his members were slowly forgetting about the 1914 armageddon joke that made hundreds of thousands of tax free US dollars.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ecclesiastes 9:5 Dead have no consciousness 3 min red blood relative 225
New Today music thread 19 min _bebe girl_ 1,171
"RESURRECTION"- meaningless in Churchianity! 29 min red blood relative 210
If Jesus is NOT Your Mediator, How Can you Pray... 48 min red blood relative 195
WHY did your GodJesus PRETEND to die, lose his ... 56 min red blood relative 537
yt 1 hr Honey Bee 13
Run, run, RUN, Churchoids! 1 hr red blood relative 123
JWs are so correct that Jesus is Michael? 4 hr dee rightful 558
Read all about it: The WTS ADMITS THAT JESUS IS... 8 hr ihveit 212
More from around the web