Since: Aug 12

London, UK

#529 Sep 24, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing God means more than knowing his name.
There you have it folks, Thirdwitness has finally admitted it!

Hurray!

So why is it that JWs are so special in using the tetragrammaton (something Jesus never mentioned)?
Thirdwitness

Oklahoma City, OK

#530 Sep 24, 2013
Jesus gave Revelation to John. In Revelation 19 God's name is used several times. I'm certain Jesus approved of this since the Revelation was by Jesus.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#531 Sep 24, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
<quoted text>
There's another one who does not see God's name as of any importance.
You see, I keep telling you only JWs make known his name worldwide. Its a fact.
. Ever wonder why it was that the scripture .. Didn't I preach in your name and expel demons in your name.??? was responded to by GOD in the manner that he did??? Could it have been that they might have used his name as a soap box to preach the words of men???
Thirdwitness

Oklahoma City, OK

#532 Sep 24, 2013
Brother P wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody gets it except them lol
JW logic says that knowing someone's name is more important than their character - WHO they are.
What difference does it make? Am I going to get the "gods" mixed up in heaven? Is God going to say "I can't hear you...say my name!"
If someone prays, might their prayers go to Satan instead of God?
Sorry but anyone's "god" who is like that is pretty stupid.
According to the the bible, God doesn't care about outward appearances or saying some ritualistic magic words to make Him hear you better; the content of your prayers and your lifestyle speaks louder to Him than anything else.
(Matthew 6:6-8) But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
No God doesn't care about magic charms but he does have a book of remembrance of those thinking upon his name. Perhaps you've read it but never thought about God's name afterward.

London, UK

#533 Sep 24, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 4:So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me,...Then he started to say to them:“Today this scripture that YOU just heard* is fulfilled"
Jesus did not abide by unscriptural Jewish superstition therefore we know he spoke God's name when he read the scripture.
So he used it in passing, nice "proof".

Since the Jews were so superstitiously fearful of using it, why didn't Jesus stress to the 12 apostles how important it is to use? These JEWISH apostles and disciples were the foundation of the message, a message which shortly would be preached to the gentiles. Surely if the tetragrammaton were that important to Jesus he would have made sure it wasn't lost in the preaching mission to the world?

Show us the scriptures...

London, UK

#534 Sep 24, 2013
Maravilla wrote:
<quoted text>
. In our prayers to God.. we were instructed to call him ( our father Which art in heaven... That does solidify in my mind that not only were we to speak to him with the respect we are to show to our earthly fathers.. but that in a more intimate manner then is generally looked at in the manner of addressing one by there given name.. Not one of my children have ever addressed me by my given name.. Yet.. they certainly.. know me...
Very true. If a father were to adopt a child, his heart rejoices when that child finally starts to call him FATHER, not John or whatever.

(Romans 8:15) For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry,“Abba! Father!”

Jesus' consistent use of the affectionate term "Father" is the example for us.
Thirdwitness

Oklahoma City, OK

#535 Sep 24, 2013
Third witness wrote
Brother P wrote:
<quoted text>
There you have it folks, Thirdwitness has finally admitted it!
Hurray!
Our publications have always said that just knowing God's name is not all that is required in knowing God. You just like to pretend and invent straw men, don't you?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#536 Sep 24, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
Third witness wrote
<quoted text>
Our publications have always said that just knowing God's name is not all that is required in knowing God. You just like to pretend and invent straw men, don't you?
. Well the fact is ..you seem to be contending that it is the most important piece of knowledge we need to know..
dee lightful

Easley, SC

#537 Sep 24, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already agreed with you that you prove my point. You and your hodgepodge Christian friends do not think God's name matters and so you dint make it known.
So since you think it doesn't matter, why do you have such a hard time admitting that only JWs unitedly make God's name Jehovah known worldwide unlike any others?
Why aren't you fervently proclaiming the name of Jesus?
I didn't hear your answer as to where to find the scripture that Jesus returned invisibly to pick the WTS to be God's mouthpiece.
Where is the scripture that says the WTS is necessary for salvation?
Philippians 2:9-11 KJV
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
.?

“BIBLE TRUTHS *NEVER* CHANGE”

Since: Aug 09

LET GO AND LET GOD

#538 Sep 24, 2013
sonny wrote:
The WTBTS cannot be Gods channel on earth because they are no diferent from the pharisees of old.

As much as they like to contrast themselves from the pharisees they are very much alike.

Pharisees do not mix with "others" because they feel too important and righteous.

JWs do not mix with other christians and even their own blood relations, both like to set themselves apart, even the name pharisees means "to set apart".

JWs and pharisees are more concerned about their righteousness,

they both feel superior to others,

they both add things to the law or scriptures making it a burdensome for people to follow,

loading people down with rules and works.
I agree with this very good and informative post....filled with REAL accurate knowledge!
little angel

Malone, NY

#539 Sep 24, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have made your name known and will make it known"--John 17:26.
Sure to his promise, Jesus now makes known God's name by means of his organization.
Thanks for asking.
If Jesus made it known, then what is it in the Greek? Which verses have that form, whatever it is, in the early manuscripts?

And, it can't be YHWH, because that is not even a word...has no vowels. It would be like writing Wm for William, or Chas for Charles. If we didn't know the names, William and Charles, do you think anyone would be able to come to the conclusion that the shortened forms were those names? If yes, how would they know to put "illia" in Wm and put "rle" in Chas?

Pure guesswork for the form, Jehovah. Even the Bible does have a shortened form with one vowel: Jah. Why is Jehovah used for the shortened form, Jah? What reasoning was used to change an "a" to an "e"?
Hollytrinitybatm an

Huntington, IN

#540 Sep 24, 2013
little angel wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus made it known, then what is it in the Greek? Which verses have that form, whatever it is, in the early manuscripts?
And, it can't be YHWH, because that is not even a word...has no vowels. It would be like writing Wm for William, or Chas for Charles. If we didn't know the names, William and Charles, do you think anyone would be able to come to the conclusion that the shortened forms were those names? If yes, how would they know to put "illia" in Wm and put "rle" in Chas?
Pure guesswork for the form, Jehovah. Even the Bible does have a shortened form with one vowel: Jah. Why is Jehovah used for the shortened form, Jah? What reasoning was used to change an "a" to an "e"?
Is Jesus name Pure guesswork from the Hebrew to English you foolish imbecile? The name Jesus has come to us in this manner. The Hebrew name given at birth to the Messiah was [vwhy(transliterated YHUShA). The reason we know this is that the Messiah's name as given in the Greek New Testament is the same name as Joshua son of Nun, as indicated by the usage of this same Greek name in Hebrews 4:8. The name for Joshua, when rendered into the Septuagint Greek text is VIhsou/j, the same name in the Greek New Testament which is rendered Jesus by our English Bibles.

So what happened was this: YHUShA, the given Hebrew name of Joshua and of the Messiah was rendered VIhsou/j (I-ay-sous) in the Greek text, because the closest Greek name to the Hebrew YHUShA was I-ay-sous. From the Greek VIhsou/j the English Bible translators took the first Greek letter "I" and rendered it "J" (which was actually a normal thing to do in that day). The "ay" sound got shortened to an "e" sound. And the "sous" ending was shortened to "sus". Putting it together, the Hebrew "Yahusha" became in Greek "I-ay-sous" and then into English as "Jesus". Holy trinity batman, It is the holly ghost with no name, Joker.

London, UK

#541 Sep 25, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:
Third witness wrote
<quoted text>
Are you not following?

I put that strawman up there on purpose (that JWs worship a name on a piece of paper) for the sake of you correcting it :)

In the process of you correcting it, you will actually back up the point I made from the very start - that KNOWING God is more important than a bunch of letters that JWs are so proud about spreading.

JWs spread the tetragrammaton? So what? How does that distinguish them? How does that help a person to know God? Does telling someone "God's name" suddenly reveal WHO God is? What good would that do if you know a name but "you worship that which you don't know" (John 4:22)?

JWs preach that God is one? So what? How does that make you a truer Christian (better person)?

(James 2:19, 20) You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

Never thought I'd have to use a JWs favourite scripture against them lol

You don't claim that you know God (and your religion is true) by knowing some letters, or understanding that He is one "person"; you do so by the way you live your life.

London, UK

#542 Sep 25, 2013
Thirdwitness wrote:

Maravilla wrote:
<quoted text>
. Well the fact is ..you seem to be contending that it is the most important piece of knowledge we need to know..
Bingo!

London, UK

#543 Sep 25, 2013
If the CHARACTER is more important than someone's name, that means that the people who emphasise THAT character (love, mercy, tolerance, forgiveness, kindness, goodness etc) are the true followers of Jesus because that's how Jesus "made God's name known" (showed them what God is like).

THEY are the ones who are following Gods guidance by imitating the "only true God". John 17:3

THEY are the ones who have taken in "accurate knowledge" of this true God. John 17:3

Anything less is just shallow JW rhetoric.
SusieB

Richland, WA

#544 Sep 26, 2013
Brother P wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true, and sadly the JW leadership have even twisted a parable (Matthew 25:31-46) with a very basic "moral of the story" and turned it into something it's not - even the opposite of what Jesus taught! They teach that one only has to love their own brothers (144,000). One only has to feed and clothe those of ones own sect.
How far removed from the truth can you get???
(Matthew 5:46) If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
It is very sad to see the way they even treat their own! Their little cliques are very telling...the rich look down on the poorer JW's and try not to include them in anything.
When I was a JW I pioneered for about 12 yrs and saw so many people being hurt by the "higher ups" who thought they were something!
Of course I'm talking about the Elders wives and the Ministerial Servants wives...I was pretty fortunate and seemed to get along with them all, but I concentrated my efforts on those who I saw being hurt and shunned. Some were shunned because either they or some of their family members had mental, physical or emotional problems.
There is a great lack of love, compassion and sympathy. My husband and I went to many different KH's [going where the need was greater] and always took up helping the ones less fortunate and those shoved to the outside.
Even after leaving the JW religion, we continue to be obedient to Christs command and help people who are in need. Yes we also continue to help a few JW families and an elderly JW couple who had gone without food, electricity and even medications until we stepped in to help them.
We run a non profit community outreach program and help everyone regardless of religious standing, and we are also partners in an overseas orphanage with many needy children.
The WTBTS has plenty of money to help many hundreds of thousands of people a year...why won't they use it to help their own?
Jesus gave up His life so people could live, you'd think HIS ORGANIZATION could cough up a few bucks and feed some homeless people so they can live!
Blessings to you :)

Since: Feb 07

RI

#545 Sep 26, 2013
SusieB wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very sad to see the way they even treat their own! Their little cliques are very telling...the rich look down on the poorer JW's and try not to include them in anything.
When I was a JW I pioneered for about 12 yrs and saw so many people being hurt by the "higher ups" who thought they were something!
Of course I'm talking about the Elders wives and the Ministerial Servants wives...I was pretty fortunate and seemed to get along with them all, but I concentrated my efforts on those who I saw being hurt and shunned. Some were shunned because either they or some of their family members had mental, physical or emotional problems.
There is a great lack of love, compassion and sympathy. My husband and I went to many different KH's [going where the need was greater] and always took up helping the ones less fortunate and those shoved to the outside.
Even after leaving the JW religion, we continue to be obedient to Christs command and help people who are in need. Yes we also continue to help a few JW families and an elderly JW couple who had gone without food, electricity and even medications until we stepped in to help them.
We run a non profit community outreach program and help everyone regardless of religious standing, and we are also partners in an overseas orphanage with many needy children.
The WTBTS has plenty of money to help many hundreds of thousands of people a year...why won't they use it to help their own?
Jesus gave up His life so people could live, you'd think HIS ORGANIZATION could cough up a few bucks and feed some homeless people so they can live!
Blessings to you :)
It was exactly this type of attitude on the part of many JWs in most of the congregations with which I was associated, that made me realize that JWs were NOT the one true religion.
SusieB

Richland, WA

#546 Sep 26, 2013
RedhorseWoman wrote:
<quoted text>
It was exactly this type of attitude on the part of many JWs in most of the congregations with which I was associated, that made me realize that JWs were NOT the one true religion.
Its rampant in that religion. Sad to see people clamoring for acceptance only to be shoved around and ultimately rejected by the very people who vehemently proclaim they are GODS CHOSEN PEOPLE!
Those cliques cause emotional damage...lots of suicides and self inflicted injuries occur in that religion and its clear why it happens. Its a shame and its disgusting.
little lamb

Collingwood, Australia

#547 Sep 26, 2013
Maravilla wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely..it is the first name the Disciples were told to baptize people of the nations in
..." Go make disciples of people of the nations, baptizing them in the name of the FATHER......."
UNchained

Loudon, TN

#548 Sep 26, 2013
little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely..it is the first name the Disciples were told to baptize people of the nations in
..." Go make disciples of people of the nations, baptizing them in the name of the FATHER......."
11 "...This [Jesus] is
The stone despised by you builders,
who has become the cornerstone.
12 There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people by which we must be saved.”

13 When they observed the boldness of Peter and John and realized that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed and knew that they had been with Jesus. 14 And since they saw the man who had been healed standing with them, they had nothing to say in response. 15 After they had ordered them to leave the Sanhedrin, they conferred among themselves, 16 saying,“What should we do with these men? For an obvious sign, evident to all who live in Jerusalem, has been done through them, and we cannot deny it! 17 But so this does not spread any further among the people, let’s threaten them against speaking to anyone in this name again.” 18 So they called for them and ordered them not to preach or teach at all in the name of Jesus.
19 But Peter and John answered them,“Whether it’s right in the sight of God [for us] to listen to you rather than to God, you decide; 20 for we are unable to stop speaking about what we have seen and heard.”
Acts 4:11-20

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In Azerbaijan, Jehovah's Witnesses Can Face Up ... 5 min TERRENCE 51
Found this today about Gods name. 7 min Jackie 3,774
So Christians are dying for satan instead of be... 8 min sonny 4
EX-Jehovah's Witnesses or EX- Watchtower follow... (Jun '13) 19 min truthsetsfree 413
Wanted Honest JW's 31 min array 1
memorial 39 min truthsetsfree 2
Watch Jace avoid these questions 47 min truthsetsfree 84
Photo of redhorsewoman 51 min truthsetsfree 459
YES-Jesus WAS once known as Michael 2 hr lovewithin 2,472
racial diversity and the wts; white angels only? 3 hr hMMMMM 59
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 5 hr little lamb 662
More from around the web