Watchtower states if husband hits wif...

Watchtower states if husband hits wife, she must remain in "subjection."

Posted in the Jehovah's Witness Forum

First Prev
of 32
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1 Nov 17, 2011
Watchtower, February 15, 2012 page 29 (on jw.org ) "may be win her husband over....by being in subjection and showing deep respect for him, even if he treats her harshly." Gives an example of husband had "hit" her, but "After 17 years,***accepted the truth." Not possible for a woman to respect a man who hits her, she may 'fear' only. What kind of backward organization suggests a woman to accept this. Revolting!! Spousal abuse organizations need to be informed that this religion has such a devastating teaching.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 17, 2011
this is a crime, and must be reported to the police. As JW say if a crime is commited must be reported to the police.
UNchained

Sevierville, TN

#3 Nov 18, 2011
Gayle in NW Phoenix wrote:
Watchtower, February 15, 2012 page 29 (on jw.org ) "may be win her husband over....by being in subjection and showing deep respect for him, even if he treats her harshly." Gives an example of husband had "hit" her, but "After 17 years,***accepted the truth." Not possible for a woman to respect a man who hits her, she may 'fear' only. What kind of backward organization suggests a woman to accept this. Revolting!! Spousal abuse organizations need to be informed that this religion has such a devastating teaching.
Now you know why the JW's on this board are supporting and defending one of their own who was recently arrested for physically assaulting his wife.

JW women are conditioned to accept spousal abuse as behavior that should be met with by being in subjection and showing deep respect for him, even if he treats them harshly instead of reporting his criminal actions to the proper legal authorities.
Caligula

United States

#4 Nov 18, 2011
So after 17 years the abusive bastard caught on that he would have sanctuary in the Jdub religion.

Sounds about right. what a freakin joke that religion is.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#5 Nov 18, 2011
Well, Gayle, it looks like you sucked in several individuals ready to stone the Witnesses, without bothering to read the article. You totally mischaracterized the circumstances surrounding the "hitting" of the woman, and the "sister's" advice. It seems the husband's behavior had been going on long before the woman met the witnesses, and she didn't leave him. Should she have been counseled to leave him immediately, or to give him and ultimatum, or have him arrested? That would show him.

You are a trouble maker, and not interested in truth. Believe me, I don't support the Watchtower Organization, but twisting things, out of hatred, doesn't do anything except cause mob behavior; the same kind of behavior that the Pharasees and Priests stirred up against Jesus, with the same type of mind-set.

sidgi
UNchained

Sevierville, TN

#6 Nov 18, 2011
sidgi wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Gayle, it looks like you sucked in several individuals ready to stone the Witnesses, without bothering to read the article. You totally mischaracterized the circumstances surrounding the "hitting" of the woman, and the "sister's" advice. It seems the husband's behavior had been going on long before the woman met the witnesses, and she didn't leave him. Should she have been counseled to leave him immediately, or to give him and ultimatum, or have him arrested? That would show him.
You are a trouble maker, and not interested in truth. Believe me, I don't support the Watchtower Organization, but twisting things, out of hatred, doesn't do anything except cause mob behavior; the same kind of behavior that the Pharasees and Priests stirred up against Jesus, with the same type of mind-set.
sidgi
I was dragged into the belief system when I was 6 years old.

I never saw or heard of my dad ever hitting my mom.

After I became an adult and was 'appointed by holy spirit' I saw, heard and had to deal with spousal abuse on numerous occasions with a couple of cases that involved elders and minsterial servants.

You can deny til the cows come home but spousal abuse is a problem within the JW denomination.

However, in all fairness I must say that spousal abuse is not as big of a problem in the denomination as child molestation, which has reached epidmic porportions in many circuits.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 18, 2011
UNchained wrote:
<quoted text>
I was dragged into the belief system when I was 6 years old.
I never saw or heard of my dad ever hitting my mom.
After I became an adult and was 'appointed by holy spirit' I saw, heard and had to deal with spousal abuse on numerous occasions with a couple of cases that involved elders and minsterial servants.
You can deny til the cows come home but spousal abuse is a problem within the JW denomination.
However, in all fairness I must say that spousal abuse is not as big of a problem in the denomination as child molestation, which has reached epidmic porportions in many circuits.
I do not doubt your word, on the incidents you experienced, or only heard about, second hand. Unfortunately, anecdotal, hearsay, he said-she said accusations, aren't worth a hill of beans. How about some verifiable statistics on the "epidemic proportions" or is that more inflammatory rhetoric, to support your position. I'm sorry, but a mob is a mob, no matter how you look at it, and emotional instigation is what it is.

sidgi

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#10 Nov 18, 2011
sidgi wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not doubt your word, on the incidents you experienced, or only heard about, second hand. Unfortunately, anecdotal, hearsay, he said-she said accusations, aren't worth a hill of beans. How about some verifiable statistics on the "epidemic proportions" or is that more inflammatory rhetoric, to support your position. I'm sorry, but a mob is a mob, no matter how you look at it, and emotional instigation is what it is.
sidgi
I will give you a first hand experience, my father beat my mother for years. I witnessed it, and when she contacted the Elders about it, she was ask what she did to antagonize him. She was told to be calm, not hit him back or say things to make he continue, and maybe he would see her meekness and come to Jehovah. Until he passed away, he continued to abuse her and never came to Jehovah. This is not inflammatory rhetoric but first hand experience. I also have sit and listened to 2 other women in the same congregation tell my mother of their abuse by the hands of their non witness husbands, and how the Elders told them the same thing. This is 3 sisters in one congregation that were being abused and told by Elders not to antagonize their husbands to the point of being beat.

Location hidden

#11 Nov 18, 2011
The Real Karen wrote:
<quoted text>
I will give you a first hand experience, my father beat my mother for years. I witnessed it, and when she contacted the Elders about it, she was ask what she did to antagonize him. She was told to be calm, not hit him back or say things to make he continue, and maybe he would see her meekness and come to Jehovah. Until he passed away, he continued to abuse her and never came to Jehovah. This is not inflammatory rhetoric but first hand experience. I also have sit and listened to 2 other women in the same congregation tell my mother of their abuse by the hands of their non witness husbands, and how the Elders told them the same thing. This is 3 sisters in one congregation that were being abused and told by Elders not to antagonize their husbands to the point of being beat.
Look, I am not defending Jehovah's witnesses. Your anecdotal evidence is entirely that, anecdotal. It doesn't stand to vilify a whole organization. If you would like to hang the whole body of elders that misapplied the scriptures to your family's detriment, fine, stir up a mob and go after them. I'm not going to convince you one way or the other. It doesn't even matter, one way or the other. It is based on the same thought as the current "occupy movement" going on in the rest of this country. Stupid, misplaced, hatred. Lashing out at everything deemed responsible, regardless of reality. Reality Be Damned, I Say!!!! Throw them all into Gehenna!!

sidgi

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 18, 2011
I never said that it was the whole organization now did I? I said I witnessed it happen to my own mother, and heard with my own ears how 2 others women were going through the same thing. If it happens in small congregations like I attended, it probably happens in all congregations. The elders misapplied the scripture in my mothers case and the 2 others sisters cases. AND in the OP comments case.
I am stating fact, not fiction here, whether JWs want to admit they got it wrong or not is not anything that caused me to leave them, but the truth is truth and needs to be told. I love many JWs still left inside and if I can save one of them from being left behind, I will do everything I can to open their eyes to the fact that the fact that they are JWs will not save them but only Faith and belief in Jesus will.
You cannot stand by and watch a person drown, you must save them.

“Tight lines”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#14 Nov 18, 2011
hMMMM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving Florida Native the fool that he is.
I will repeat, when my cousin's JW husband held a loaded gun to her head, and like a good JW woman, she went to the elders, instead of trying to protect her, they instructed her to be a more submissive wife.
This cult is dangerous to all women and their children.
Very proud of my cousin, who was young in the time, and fully brainwashed by a life in the jW cult, that the lightbulb went on, and she put her children first, left her JW abusive husband, and the JW cult forever.
Many women and children of the Jehovah's Witness cult are not so lucky.
I am not sure why you decided to drag my name into this and call me an idiot but, I forgive you for insulting me.
You have an unhealthy obsession with me and I pray that you seek help not only to understand that you and I will never be together but also that you can get over your obsession and work on your relationship within your own house.

“Orlando, FL”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#15 Nov 18, 2011
What if a baptized adult Christian sexually molests a child? Is the sinner so wicked that Jehovah will never forgive him? Not necessarily so.

Depending on the law of the land where he lives, the molester may well have to serve a prison term or face other sanctions from the State. The congregation will not protect him from this. Moreover, the man has revealed a serious weakness that henceforth will have to be taken into account. If he seems to be repentant, he will be encouraged to make spiritual progress, share in the field service, even have parts in the Theocratic Ministry School and nonteaching parts in the Service Meeting.

A dedicated adult Christian who falls into the sin of child sexual abuse reveals an unnatural fleshly weakness. Experience has shown that such an adult may well molest other children. True, not every child molester repeats the sin, but many do.

Location hidden

#16 Nov 18, 2011
The Real Karen wrote:
I never said that it was the whole organization now did I? I said I witnessed it happen to my own mother, and heard with my own ears how 2 others women were going through the same thing. If it happens in small congregations like I attended, it probably happens in all congregations. The elders misapplied the scripture in my mothers case and the 2 others sisters cases. AND in the OP comments case.
I am stating fact, not fiction here, whether JWs want to admit they got it wrong or not is not anything that caused me to leave them, but the truth is truth and needs to be told. I love many JWs still left inside and if I can save one of them from being left behind, I will do everything I can to open their eyes to the fact that the fact that they are JWs will not save them but only Faith and belief in Jesus will.
You cannot stand by and watch a person drown, you must save them.
Whether you said it or not, you were posting in opposition to my post, and therefore in support of the posts I was objecting to. you can't claim higher ground here, you are experienced enough on these forums to know that. My post stands in spite of your fishtailing.

sidgi

Location hidden

#17 Nov 18, 2011
The Watchtower Society and all of it's supporters can't claim any real love for any of it's membership, or fellowship. They have cast them off, whenever there has been a legitimate complaint in the child molestation category, and other obvious wrongdoing, especially by their elder body; the Watchtower Society in particular, and their supporters, because they are supporting such behavior.

If anyone has been an elder for a year, and hasn't stepped down, they are already guilty by knowledge. They are into the deep things that the rank and file members don't know about. If they continue, it's because they've decided that the direction the GB and different branches have taken is the correct one, in spite of the pricking of their own conscience on certain matters. For many it is way less than a year.

sidgi

“BIBLE TRUTHS *NEVER* CHANGE”

Since: Aug 09

LET GO AND LET GOD

#18 Nov 18, 2011
REFUSE TO BUY THE LIE wrote:
<quoted text>
This non-Christian, satanic cult has a lot of problems which seem to have reached epidemic proportions.
The closer you look at the cult of jehovah's witnesses the more you can see how Satan rules this evil organization.
This is absolutely true!

Oh yes...on their carefully contrived surface one can be easily duped into believing the WTS is something it is not....it is then that one begins to see the definite cracks in their facade.

Although they parade around carrying their sparkly banner of "we only follow Christ"....on deeper inspection of their many unscriptural "requirements", lies and deliberately twisted doctrines....their shining image rapidly tarnishes in the light of the glory of the Creator.....and their hatred of ALL others but them....emerges very strongly.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#19 Nov 18, 2011
circuitoverseer wrote:
What if a baptized adult Christian sexually molests a child? Is the sinner so wicked that Jehovah will never forgive him? Not necessarily so.
Depending on the law of the land where he lives, the molester may well have to serve a prison term or face other sanctions from the State. The congregation will not protect him from this. Moreover, the man has revealed a serious weakness that henceforth will have to be taken into account. If he seems to be repentant, he will be encouraged to make spiritual progress, share in the field service, even have parts in the Theocratic Ministry School and nonteaching parts in the Service Meeting.
A dedicated adult Christian who falls into the sin of child sexual abuse reveals an unnatural fleshly weakness. Experience has shown that such an adult may well molest other children. True, not every child molester repeats the sin, but many do.
If someone finds sexual pleasure in children then they will never change. Just like heterosexuals, you dont wake up one day and decide to switch sides. If children turn you on sexually then they will always turn you on sexually and just because they might act like they have changed, they have not. The only treatment for them is removing the offending part with something unpleasant like a chainsaw or small butter knife. Death is also an option.

You can not change someones sexual preference. People have tried to do that with the homosexual community for years with no success. Homosexuals do not hurt anyone and should be treated no different than heterosexuals. Pedophiles do, so they need to die. There should be 0 tolerance for anyone that would harm a child.

“Paradise Earth”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#21 Nov 18, 2011
As usual the magazine has been grossly misrepresented.

People who want to know the TRUTH about what the magazine ACTUALLY says can read it here:

http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/...

I thoroughly recommend that you do, its a great read throughout.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#22 Nov 18, 2011
so the husband didn't hit her is that what you are saying Gareth.

how loving of you, image if one of your parents was being bashed.

Its a crime and should be reported to the police, once a man hits a women they will always have that tendenciy regardless of what your magazines says.
Santurino

New York, NY

#23 Nov 18, 2011
If a wife is in a abusive relationship as a witness, she has the option open to her of seperating from her husband.

If he is very abusive. He can ,in fact, be disfellowshipped.

She is NOT forced to stay in the marriage.

However, divorce is NOT encouraged if it is not not on biblical terms.

The husband is FULLY REPONSIBLE for supporting her any children finacially during the separation, according to whtever agreement they personally arrange betwen them.

Howewver it is his biblical "reponsiblity" to care for his family need's.

Reconciliation is strongly encouraged at some point, in most instances... Although it is not for the elders to determine that.

That is strictly the decision of the couple and the couple alone.
Santurino

New York, NY

#24 Nov 18, 2011
Correction: if it is not, whatever, between, responsibility

However

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 32
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terraforming Mars. Will Jehovah Allow It? 2 min Icaris 6
Anybody know about Mrs. Stachowiak (Oct '11) 2 min Prime_LA 453
News 'Remain Loyal!' theme of Jehovah's Witnesses co... 5 min rsss1 1,160
An ode to pat and Bob. (Jun '15) 8 min Prime_LA 60
Religion or Publishing Company? (Oct '10) 14 min Prime_LA 1,340
merlioncity THE RETARD vs PreacherOfTruth (Aug '13) 16 min sidgi 11
Love=Eternal Torture - CHURCHianity 17 min rsss1 320
Fist face transplant patient dies 19 min Prime_LA 298
TPMP you liar (Dec '10) 34 min Prime_LA 876
What are the new heavens and the new earth? (Mar '13) 2 hr imagoodboy 3,687