Mary Magdalene and Jesus
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Apr 4, 2013
MM seems to hold a special relationship with Jesus. When Jesus was crucified by the Romans, MM was there in his last moments. She stayed with him at the cross after the male disciples, except John had fled the scene. She was at his burial, and it was to MM that Jesus first revealed himself after the resurrection.

With women relegated to an almost inferior position in the Bible, especially when it came to spiritual instruction, I think it is noteworthy to have MM in such a intimate relationship with Jesus.

How far the intimacy went has been speculated over for years, but I wonder what was it about MM that made Jesus keep her companionship in a male dominated ministry.

“Close enough”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#2 Apr 4, 2013
Arkham Bravo wrote:
MM seems to hold a special relationship with Jesus. When Jesus was crucified by the Romans, MM was there in his last moments. She stayed with him at the cross after the male disciples, except John had fled the scene. She was at his burial, and it was to MM that Jesus first revealed himself after the resurrection.
With women relegated to an almost inferior position in the Bible, especially when it came to spiritual instruction, I think it is noteworthy to have MM in such a intimate relationship with Jesus.
How far the intimacy went has been speculated over for years, but I wonder what was it about MM that made Jesus keep her companionship in a male dominated ministry.
He healed her. That's what kept her close to him. Luke 8.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#3 Apr 4, 2013
miseracord wrote:
<quoted text>
He healed her. That's what kept her close to him. Luke 8.
Then why not the gammot?? He healed a lot of people.. But this one was rather close to his mother and family.. Not just a follower..
apple

Singapore, Singapore

#4 Apr 6, 2013
being close to jesus does not mean having any special relationship.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#5 Apr 6, 2013
Jesus was only human. He had urges the same as any man. If God somehow took those urges away, the merits of his sacrifice suffers.

“Close enough”

Location hidden

#6 Apr 6, 2013
Arkham Bravo wrote:
Jesus was only human. He had urges the same as any man. If God somehow took those urges away, the merits of his sacrifice suffers.
Something for you to think about, and your point is reasonable.

Would you say that Jesus might have controlled his desires for a family? Only asking a question here to think about. Sacrificing himself for the sake of God, in other words, putting God first before himself. I'm assuming that's what you mean.

As a side note, humans have to eat, drink, and sleep, etc. Jesus did those things. If we do not do those things, we die. A person does not necessarily die because he resists "temptation," or does not get married, etc. He can resist those things for God's sake, especially with prayer.(Do you not think so?)

“Close enough”

Location hidden

#7 Apr 6, 2013
Jesus healed Mary Magdalene, cured her. She ministered to him after that, loved him to the point that she, with other men and women, stayed with him and respected him as a teacher, and Lord. He also showed love and respect for her and his disciples. Really for anyone to say much different shows they are not thinking properly, in my opinion.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#8 Apr 6, 2013
Serious question from someone who is open to being a Christian... is Jesus FOR White Genocide, or AGAINST White Genocide?

And yes, that is serious... because it is happening. Is there an "official" Christian position?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9 Apr 6, 2013

I had meant to put this in my prior post...

“Close enough”

Location hidden

#10 Apr 6, 2013
Eight Hooves wrote:
Serious question from someone who is open to being a Christian... is Jesus FOR White Genocide, or AGAINST White Genocide?
And yes, that is serious... because it is happening. Is there an "official" Christian position?
wow is all I can say.
little lamb

Mentone, Australia

#11 Apr 6, 2013
miseracord wrote:
Jesus healed Mary Magdalene, cured her. She ministered to him after that, loved him to the point that she, with other men and women, stayed with him and respected him as a teacher, and Lord. He also showed love and respect for her and his disciples. Really for anyone to say much different shows they are not thinking properly, in my opinion.
Good post...Jesus knew he was going to give his Body up to be broken for us..a sacrifice ..and his blood was to be poured out for forgiveness of sins ..

So he focused on his mission, and it was not the time for him to think about marriage and children because he knew what his purpose was..

He loved out of a clean and holy heart , for he is called the Holy One.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Apr 6, 2013
Arkham Bravo wrote:
Mary Magdalene was probably Jesus' wife. That's why they had a close relationship.

“Close enough”

Location hidden

#13 Apr 7, 2013
Admiral Kolchak wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary Magdalene was probably Jesus' wife. That's why they had a close relationship.
That's even further than saying there is a trinity (no biblical proof), or there is conscious torment in hellfire (again, no real substance to that assertion). For you or anyone to say that Mary Magdalene was "probably" Jesus' wife shows you have absolutely no understanding of the scriptures.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#14 Apr 7, 2013
miseracord wrote:
<quoted text>That's even further than saying there is a trinity (no biblical proof), or there is conscious torment in hellfire (again, no real substance to that assertion). For you or anyone to say that Mary Magdalene was "probably" Jesus' wife shows you have absolutely no understanding of the scriptures.
. Was he human??? yes... do they expect that he would have no human feelings... Apparently... In this day and age.. What is a woman who.. would wash a guys feet and dry them with her hair...or dump expensive oil on him... or hang in there ..when he was being murdered or be the first to the grave and be told don't touch me as i have yet to assend to my father... hello! A stocker??? A groupie??
former JW

Monticello, NY

#15 Apr 7, 2013
Here's a thought: Don't you find it interesting how this Creator got so bent out of shape at this little, bitty planet filled with all those naughty earthlings that nothing would suffice but to destroy everything and send their twisted souls to everlasting Hell?(That'll show those ingrates!!)
But wait!!! His motherless Son comes to the rescue and thru the mystery of Divine Insemination and Virgin Birthing, emerges as Baby Jesus, changes water into divine grape juice, vanishes for about a dozen years, reappears and forms a posse of twelve homeless men. After curing lepers, cripples and at least one dead man, he goes on to walk on water and make lots of fish and magic bread. But His fate is sealed when, after failing to adequately vet one of the Band of Twelve, He is betrayed and made to suffer in a manner pleasing to his unmarried Father. He then rises from the dead and goes on to perform the first human launch into outer space. His earthling mother follows later in the same manner. Amen.
And you think sleptics are the ones who are suffering from delusions??

Location hidden

#16 Apr 7, 2013
miseracord wrote:
<quoted text>That's even further than saying there is a trinity (no biblical proof), or there is conscious torment in hellfire (again, no real substance to that assertion). For you or anyone to say that Mary Magdalene was "probably" Jesus' wife shows you have absolutely no understanding of the scriptures.
There are hints in the NT that Jesus was married. The wedding feast in Cana was probably his. Why would a guest to a wedding be required to furnish the wine? He was also called Rabbi, requiring him to have a wife. There is circumstantial evidence in the Apocryphal NT that Jesus and Mary M were married.

“Close enough”

Location hidden

#17 Apr 7, 2013
Admiral Kolchak wrote:
<quoted text>
There are hints in the NT that Jesus was married. The wedding feast in Cana was probably his. Why would a guest to a wedding be required to furnish the wine? He was also called Rabbi, requiring him to have a wife. There is circumstantial evidence in the Apocryphal NT that Jesus and Mary M were married.
Your statement as well as others' statements here make the presumption preposterous. Why, because if Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene, there would be no need to keep it secret, as you and others are suggesting. And the more you reveal yourselves, the more I see how some people think. Yes, preposterous. Rabbi means teacher, and not all rabbis are married, now or then. Most are, perhaps, but not all. And Jesus was not the run of the mill teacher, or rabbi. According to Jewish thought, it is not necessary for a rabbi to get married, it is recommended that he do so, however. Don't believe me; check it out.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 7, 2013
miseracord wrote:
<quoted text>Your statement as well as others' statements here make the presumption preposterous. Why, because if Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene, there would be no need to keep it secret, as you and others are suggesting. And the more you reveal yourselves, the more I see how some people think. Yes, preposterous. Rabbi means teacher, and not all rabbis are married, now or then. Most are, perhaps, but not all. And Jesus was not the run of the mill teacher, or rabbi. According to Jewish thought, it is not necessary for a rabbi to get married, it is recommended that he do so, however. Don't believe me; check it out.
Rabbis of all branches of Judaism are required to marry and have at least two children.

Regarding Jesus' marriage in the NT, you might find this site interesting: http://truth-out.org/news/item/11993-was-jesu...

“Close enough”

Location hidden

#19 Apr 7, 2013
Admiral Kolchak wrote:
<quoted text>
Rabbis of all branches of Judaism are required to marry and have at least two children.
Regarding Jesus' marriage in the NT, you might find this site interesting: http://truth-out.org/news/item/11993-was-jesu...
I don't know where you got your information about rabbis being required to marry, but it is not true. It is recommended, not required. As for the rest of your assertions, or suspicions, believe whatever you want, in any case, or about anything.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#20 Apr 8, 2013
Arkham Bravo wrote:
You shouldn't view Dan Brown's book "The Da Vinci Code" as if it was a factual documentary.

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-Gay Jehovah's Witness Cartoon Tells Kids T... 15 min Jesus Latter Day ... 89
The Two Creation Stories of Genesis 16 min sidgi 34
YES- People WILL get OUT of HELL! 29 min lovewithin 1,995
Hating on the truth.. 34 min Analytical7 714
So how many are awaiting paradise? 57 min Analytical7 48
Praise Jehovah (Jul '13) 1 hr little lamb 5,075
Mainstream media lies to everyone 1 hr little lamb 194
JW.org....the only GB approved JW tattoo! 2 hr Matt9969 42
NWT is by far the best Bible 3 hr jsmith 515
What is the trinity? (Apr '13) 4 hr Matt13weedhacker 22,900
News Purple Faith: Prince's Life as a Jehovah's Witness 14 hr McFerret 862
More from around the web