Surveillance and Watchtower

Posted in the Jehovah's Witness Forum

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 18, 2013

Today I added a new article to my blog documenting the Watchtower organizationís longstanding and prevalent use of surveillance to police and enforce its policies among Jehovahís Witnesses.

Current Watchtower strategy is to direct this surveillance be performed by its local appointed representatives but without sharing the same policy information with Jehovahís Witnesses. This article shows itís a longtime habit of Watchtower.

My article is titled "Surveillance and Watchtower" and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2013/01/sur...

Marvin Shilmer
http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com
jace

Clinton, MD

#2 Jan 18, 2013
Marvin Shilmer wrote:
Today I added a new article to my blog documenting the Watchtower organizationís longstanding and prevalent use of surveillance to police and enforce its policies among Jehovahís Witnesses.
Current Watchtower strategy is to direct this surveillance be performed by its local appointed representatives but without sharing the same policy information with Jehovahís Witnesses. This article shows itís a longtime habit of Watchtower.
My article is titled "Surveillance and Watchtower" and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2013/01/sur...
Marvin Shilmer
http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com
surveillance is problably not used as much in the USA and other western countries due to stalking laws

but as a new elder it was interesting to be at elders meetings afterward and listen to the War Stories of elders being on surveillance

for example- reports of a single sister seeing a "man" and how the elders would take turns staking out her house to see if any strange car showed up

even when i was at bethel- some young folks had the CO and Elders stake out a LARGE GATHERING IN BROOKLYN

the CO and local elders were watching the coming and going of young folks and taking license plate numbers down- there were some bethelites i knew who had attended this "large gathering" and decided to roll early. Turned on the CO and some elders decided to roll up inside to check it out

Elder kids and World jw kids were all there together

but elders don't do that as much as they did back in the day
man_711

Everett, WA

#3 Jan 18, 2013
I doubt that publication is still in use given the Elders manual. But it is surprising to see the term surveillance actually used.
UNchained

Loudon, TN

#4 Jan 18, 2013
man_711 wrote:
I doubt that publication is still in use given the Elders manual. But it is surprising to see the term surveillance actually used.
If the taking of a blood transfusion is the first offense of a dedicated, baptized Christian due to his immaturity or lack of Christian stability and he sees the error of his action and grieves and repents over it and begs divine forgiveness and forgiveness of Godís congregation on earth, then mercy should be extended to him and he need not be disfellowshiped. He needs to be put under surveillance and to be instructed thoroughly according to the Scriptures upon this subject, and thereby be helped to acquire strength to make decisions according to the Christian standard in any future cases.
January 15, 1961 Watchtower
Page 64

July 1, 1963 Watchtower
Page 410

*** What Disfellowshiping Means ***

So today when wrongdoers have not practiced sin, but show they are cut to the heart and pledge not to continue in a course of sin, they are dealt with very mercifully by Jehovah and need not be cut off from the congregation. If the sin has not caused public notoriety and does not endanger the congregation, the one involved may be placed on probation. The terms of the discipline would be made clear and the one under such surveillance would report to the overseer once each month for the specified period as a loving arrangement to assist the individual to regain himself.

February 15, 1967 Watchtower
Page 127:
In most cases it is the unrepentant who insist on Ďpracticing siní that are expelled, disfellowshiped from Godís organization.(1†John 3:4; 1†Cor. 5:11)ĎA man who takes some false step before he is aware of ití does not fall into the class of such incorrigible sinners. However, there may be occasions, due to the seriousness of the sin, when the congregation committee finds it necessary to place a person on a probation of surveillance, as a helpful, corrective measure.

May 15, 1968 Watchtower
Page 320
Now, if a dedicated Christian allowed herself to get into a situation that led to adultery, she has given proof that she needs help and surveillance. The mature servants in the congregation will provide spiritual aid for her, working to strengthen her spirituality and her ability to live as a Christian.(Gal. 6:1) But her husband is one flesh with her, and as the one living closest to her he is an appropriate one to provide assistance, encouragement and the close surveillance she obviously needs, possibly aiding her to avoid association with the one with whom she sinned.
jace

Clinton, MD

#5 Jan 18, 2013
man_711 wrote:
not really , when you consider it was during the Cold War period and such terms were used all the time

the need to Watch people, report people, turn folks in to the authorities, was part of the american culture

so for the wt to say this in regards to ITS MEMBERS IS NOT OUT OF LINE

note other uses of this word was always in connection with Satan and now it is being used in connection to a FELLOW CHRISTIAN BROTHER

########
########

*** w50 6/1 p. 173 A Completely New World for This Globe ***
As a result, the wicked spirit creatures were placed under surveillance

*** w56 8/1 p. 462 Jehovahís Message Against Gog of Magog ***
where Satan and his demons are now held under divine surveillance

*** w56 4/1 pp. 214-215 Communist Leaders Fear Bible Truth ***
Today, in the vast country of Russia, truly every manís hand is against his neighbor. There everyone has been taught to watch the person next to him, and especially to fight against Jehovahís witnesses. No matter who you are, you are under surveillance; and when mail for you comes to a post office it is read by the postal clerks

*** w61 1/15 p. 64 Questions from Readers ***
If the taking of a blood transfusion is the first offense of a dedicated, baptized Christian due to his immaturity or lack of Christian stability and he sees the error of his action and grieves and repents over it and begs divine forgiveness and forgiveness of Godís congregation on earth, then mercy should be extended to him and he need not be disfellowshiped. He needs to be put under surveillance

*** w63 7/1 p. 410 What Disfellowshiping Means ***
The terms of the discipline would be made clear and the one under such surveillance would report to the overseer once each month

*** w67 2/15 p. 127 Avoid the Snare of ďSaving FaceĒ***
when the congregation committee finds it necessary to place a person on a probation of surveillance

*** w68 5/15 p. 320 Questions from Readers ***
Now, if a dedicated Christian allowed herself to get into a situation that led to adultery, she has given proof that she needs help and surveillance
jace

Clinton, MD

#6 Jan 18, 2013
UNchained wrote:
<quoted text>
If the taking of a blood transfusion is the first offense of a dedicated, baptized Christian due to his immaturity or lack of Christian stability and he sees the error of his action and grieves and repents over it and begs divine forgiveness and forgiveness of Godís congregation on earth, then mercy should be extended to him and he need not be disfellowshiped. He needs to be put under surveillance and to be instructed thoroughly according to the Scriptures upon this subject, and thereby be helped to acquire strength to make decisions according to the Christian standard in any future cases.
January 15, 1961 Watchtower
Page 64
July 1, 1963 Watchtower
Page 410
*** What Disfellowshiping Means ***
So today when wrongdoers have not practiced sin, but show they are cut to the heart and pledge not to continue in a course of sin, they are dealt with very mercifully by Jehovah and need not be cut off from the congregation. If the sin has not caused public notoriety and does not endanger the congregation, the one involved may be placed on probation. The terms of the discipline would be made clear and the one under such surveillance would report to the overseer once each month for the specified period as a loving arrangement to assist the individual to regain himself.
February 15, 1967 Watchtower
Page 127:
In most cases it is the unrepentant who insist on Ďpracticing siní that are expelled, disfellowshiped from Godís organization.(1†John 3:4; 1†Cor. 5:11)ĎA man who takes some false step before he is aware of ití does not fall into the class of such incorrigible sinners. However, there may be occasions, due to the seriousness of the sin, when the congregation committee finds it necessary to place a person on a probation of surveillance, as a helpful, corrective measure.
May 15, 1968 Watchtower
Page 320
Now, if a dedicated Christian allowed herself to get into a situation that led to adultery, she has given proof that she needs help and surveillance. The mature servants in the congregation will provide spiritual aid for her, working to strengthen her spirituality and her ability to live as a Christian.(Gal. 6:1) But her husband is one flesh with her, and as the one living closest to her he is an appropriate one to provide assistance, encouragement and the close surveillance she obviously needs, possibly aiding her to avoid association with the one with whom she sinned.
i didn't see your post but we had the same thought in mind
wt is into keep watch on folks
UNchained

Loudon, TN

#7 Jan 18, 2013
jace wrote:
<quoted text>
i didn't see your post but we had the same thought in mind
wt is into keep watch on folks
They have to 'help' them become 'stronger in the truth' by keeping a loving eye on them.

Since: Jan 13

Marlinton, WV

#8 Jan 18, 2013
watchtower 1961
"If the taking of a blood transfusion is the first offense of a dedicated, baptized Christian due to his immaturity or lack of Christian stability and he sees the error of his action and grieves and repents over it and begs divine forgiveness and forgiveness of Godís congregation on earth, then mercy should be extended to him and he need not be disfellowshiped. He needs to be put under surveillance."

Isn't it great to know that a jw sinner needs to beg forgiveness not only from God but also from the congreagation. Never noticed a staement like that before. More twisting of theology to empower the org.
As far as surveillance, i found most Jws had a paranoid side to their mind.(persecution is here/ armageddon is over the hiorizon, etc) If you could widely distribute the thought that they just may be under surveillance there may be a massive meltdown of JWs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Watchtower buys QCS Telecom 3 min Ex-JW 122
What if the Child just isn't Interested? 4 min little lamb 48
Found this today about Gods name. 5 min The Real Karen 308
Witnesses turning into zombies lately? 10 min florida native 2
Pat 13 min The Real Karen 42
Who is the saving SEED to ALL mankind ? 16 min Ex-JW 5
Last Night's JW Child Abuse TV Programme here: 16 min Mikronboy 48
Why I'm STILL one of Jehovah's Witnesses... 1 hr Kenneson 612
YES-Jesus WAS once known as Michael 2 hr Brother P 178

Jehovah's Witness People Search