First Prev
of 34
Next Last

“Family comes First”

Since: May 11

Weston super Mare

#1 Nov 19, 2012
Feb 2013, Study edition.

>>>As we grow older, we may become so concerned about arranging for material security for our old age that we could begin to justify working overtime on meeting nights or begin to neglect our Christian responsibilities in some way. Should we not guard against such an inclination? Or we may be in our youthful years and realize that there is no better career than full-time service. Still, do we put off pioneering, reasoning that we should first become financially secure? Should we not do our best now to be rich toward God? Who knows whether we will be alive tomorrow?<<<

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 19, 2012
that coming from a group of elitists that have been looked after for decades.

Location hidden

#3 Nov 19, 2012
love how they attack the elderly that have given all their lives to donating what they can afford to house these elitists, bet many older JW could never afford to go on holidays like the GB and their wives.
Reverend James

New Paltz, NY

#4 Nov 19, 2012
Retire now with watchtower sponsered cayman island account

“Paradise Earth”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#5 Nov 19, 2012
Mikronboy wrote:
Feb 2013, Study edition.
>>>As we grow older, we may become so concerned about arranging for material security for our old age that we could begin to justify working overtime on meeting nights or begin to neglect our Christian responsibilities in some way. Should we not guard against such an inclination? Or we may be in our youthful years and realize that there is no better career than full-time service. Still, do we put off pioneering, reasoning that we should first become financially secure? Should we not do our best now to be rich toward God? Who knows whether we will be alive tomorrow?<<<
What Mikronboy "forgot" to mention is that the article is talking about the warning given to us by JESUS CHRIST and suggesting things to think about based upon Jesus Christ's words.

Here is the part of the article immediately before the out-of-context quote Mikronboy provided:

*** Feb 2013, Study edition.

The pursuit of material things. The desire to satisfy our physical needs is natural. However, Jesus gave a warning example concerning attaching undue importance to material things. In one of his illustrations, Jesus invites us to consider the case of a rich man whose storehouses were full. Therefore, he had no place to store produce from another good harvest. The man intended to tear down his storehouses and build larger ones. He reasoned:“There I will gather all my grain and all my good things; and I will say to my soul:‘Soul, you have many good things laid up for many years; take your ease, eat, drink, enjoy yourself.’” However, this rich man failed to take into account an inevitable fact: His life could end that very night.—Luke 12:16-20.

People wanting to read the WHOLE article can download the magazine here:

Watchtower Feb 2013 (study)
http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/...

You may also be interested in other publications:

Jehovah's Witnesses' publications:
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/
Reverend James

New Paltz, NY

#6 Nov 19, 2012
What happened to those witnesses who believed all this and now are not able to retire? Was it because they stored their riches in heaven? Guess it is hard to access your money in heaven.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#7 Nov 19, 2012
Ok, I'll bite, since Aneirin claims to be representing the position of the WT
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
the article is talking about the warning given to us by JESUS CHRIST and suggesting things to think about based upon Jesus Christ's words.
Yes, very true. So let's consider them..but I'll the quote from the WT as it's accurate
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus invites us to consider the case of a rich man whose storehouses were full. Therefore, he had no place to store produce from another good harvest. The man intended to tear down his storehouses and build larger ones.
I've typed out longer responses to you before Aneirin and you've become somewhat confused, so I'll ask a simple question instead:

In Jesus' parable here, what was the financial status of the man?
Remnant143999

Rio Rancho, NM

#8 Nov 19, 2012
Would all the real estate holdings aquired by the wtbts be considered material things?

Location hidden

#9 Nov 19, 2012
Remnant143999 wrote:
Would all the real estate holdings aquired by the wtbts be considered material things?
well yes but the GB have been approved by Jesus to own all those material things, but only the GB not any other anointed they haven't been approved yet. ROFL

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#10 Nov 19, 2012
-

From post 7[1]:
acrobat wrote:
I've typed out longer responses to you before Aneirin and you've become somewhat confused, so I'll ask a simple question instead:
In Jesus' parable here, what was the financial status of the man?

That’s the incisiveness I could see in you when you first began participating here. Glad to see it again.

Keep asking those kinds of questions and you’ll help folks learn from the Master.

Marvin Shilmer
http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

1. Post 7: http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/jehovahs-...

“New one man.”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#11 Nov 19, 2012
Mikronboy wrote:
Feb 2013, Study edition.

Pretty good scare tactic. Scare them, then save them.

“New one man.”

Location hidden

#12 Nov 19, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>What Mikronboy "forgot" to mention is that the article is talking about the warning given to us by JESUS CHRIST and suggesting things to think about based upon Jesus Christ's words.

Here is the part of the article immediately before the out-of-context quote Mikronboy provided:

*** Feb 2013, Study edition.

The pursuit of material things. The desire to satisfy our physical needs is natural. However, Jesus gave a warning example concerning attaching undue importance to material things. In one of his illustrations, Jesus invites us to consider the case of a rich man whose storehouses were full. Therefore, he had no place to store produce from another good harvest. The man intended to tear down his storehouses and build larger ones. He reasoned:“There I will gather all my grain and all my good things; and I will say to my soul:‘Soul, you have many good things laid up for many years; take your ease, eat, drink, enjoy yourself.’” However, this rich man failed to take into account an inevitable fact: His life could end that very night.—Luke 12:16-20.

People wanting to read the WHOLE article can download the magazine here:

Watchtower Feb 2013 (study)
http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/...

You may also be interested in other publications:

Jehovah's Witnesses' publications:
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/
All this is talking about is abundance. The org would have you live off social services rather than to make sure your needs will be met, so that you actually can go out in service and not 'miss' the meetings.

“Paradise Earth”

Location hidden

#13 Nov 19, 2012
array wrote:
<quoted text>well yes but the GB have been approved by Jesus to own all those material things, but only the GB not any other anointed they haven't been approved yet. ROFL
The GB do not own ANY of the "material things". The WTS does, which is the whole point. People don't own the "material things" the "material things" are entirely used to help with the preaching work.

“Paradise Earth”

Location hidden

#14 Nov 19, 2012
MixedMedia wrote:
<quoted text>
All this is talking about is abundance. The org would have you live off social services rather than to make sure your needs will be met, so that you actually can go out in service and not 'miss' the meetings.
If you read the part of the article that Mikronboy "forgot" to post it clearly states that it is talking about attaching UNDUE importance to material wealth.

It is NOT talking about providing for your needs:

Quote: "Jesus gave a warning example concerning attaching undue importance to material things."

“Family comes First”

Weston super Mare

#15 Nov 19, 2012
Reverend James wrote:
What happened to those witnesses who believed all this and now are not able to retire? Was it because they stored their riches in heaven?
I'm one of those. I'm 66 years old and still climb up and down ladders every day repairing and replacing fascia boards and guttering.

I don't mind too much - the upside is that hard physical work does keep me fit. I've survived 3 mega operations and am aware that if I hadn't had the physical strength to carry me through I wouldn't be here now. I'm very worried about later life though. I will get the minimum state pension, although we will need to downsize to realise some of our capital tied up in our property.

I would say to anyone that you need to provide for old age. The WT aren't going to give anyone a pension, so, IMHO their advice is very immature and stupid in the extreme.
Predictoress

Middletown, NY

#16 Nov 19, 2012
Reverend James wrote:
What happened to those witnesses who believed all this and now are not able to retire? Was it because they stored their riches in heaven? Guess it is hard to access your money in heaven.
I notice that no Watchtower defenders have addressed this.

“Family comes First”

Weston super Mare

#18 Nov 19, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>

Bless you Aneurin, you're naivety is a joy to us all.

“New one man.”

Location hidden

#19 Nov 19, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>If you read the part of the article that Mikronboy "forgot" to post it clearly states that it is talking about attaching UNDUE importance to material wealth.

It is NOT talking about providing for your needs:

Quote: "Jesus gave a warning example concerning attaching undue importance to material things."
This part is included and its not talking about wealth.

">As we grow older, we may become so concerned about arranging for material security for our old age"
man711

United States

#20 Nov 19, 2012
Mikronboy wrote:
Feb 2013, Study edition.
You must plan for your future and use common sense.
man711

United States

#21 Nov 19, 2012
Predictoress wrote:
<quoted text>I notice that no Watchtower defenders have addressed this.
What was stated is a mistake that they have made.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 34
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why we JWs are so HAPPY! 8 min Maravilla 40
No Marriage for all the Ressurected? (Apr '13) 10 min Maravilla 45
WHAT is the name of the 'Holy-Ghost-God'? 13 min sonny 231
'God-the-Word'? 24 min array 2
Does "One" REALLY mean THREE? Seriously! 25 min array 568
Did God send...HIMSELF? 35 min the Mad JW 56
Love God, love people 36 min QueenOfBondage 16
Christian Trucker and OSAS Doctrine 1 hr dee lightful 485
What is Armageddon.. an actual future event? 3 hr Dogen 377
Why Are JW's So Unhappy? 4 hr Dogen 151