is election interest a sin?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
meho

Trenton, TN

#1 Oct 6, 2012
Do the JWs believe its a sin to watch anything about politics? Where can their interest in politics and elections start and where does it have to end? As long as they don't vote I guess. Have any of you JW folks ever secretly voted?
little lamb

Australia

#2 Oct 6, 2012
Jesus knew about the politics of his day

He said " Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar , and give to God what belongs to God"

What belongs to God is the question isn't it?

And its contained in Jehovah Gods name

I AM... provider. healer, comfort, peace, etc..

So do people give to Caesar what belongs to GOD?

Do they look to Caesar for peace and security and freedom and their daily bread?

Interesting isn't it??
hMMMMMM

Aurora, IL

#3 Oct 6, 2012
meho wrote:
Do the JWs believe its a sin to watch anything about politics? Where can their interest in politics and elections start and where does it have to end? As long as they don't vote I guess. Have any of you JW folks ever secretly voted?
Jws are hypocrites.
Of course some vote, just like some smoke
apple

Singapore, Singapore

#4 Oct 6, 2012
don't think so, we need to elect our rightful leader.
little lamb

Australia

#5 Oct 6, 2012
A Christians rightful Leader is Jesus

And Jesus wasn't elected..he was anointed by God.

If Jesus was only a Leader based on an election , most of the world would not have elected him.

“Paradise Earth”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#6 Oct 6, 2012
meho wrote:
Jesus said to "keep on the watch". I think quite a few Jehovah's Witnesses take a certain amount of interest in the way the world is going. Nothing wrong with that.

But being a Christian means avoiding getting drawn into trying to patch-up Satan's system. Jesus said his disciples are no part of the world, so Christians do not try to shape its future through politics but by spreading the words of Jesus Christ.

I can't imagine one of Jehovah's Witnesses wanting to vote. When you know that, whoever you vote for, the government always wins then why bother?

“I m no jws”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#7 Oct 7, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus said to "keep on the watch". I think quite a few Jehovah's Witnesses take a certain amount of interest in the way the world is going. Nothing wrong with that.
But being a Christian means avoiding getting drawn into trying to patch-up Satan's system. Jesus said his disciples are no part of the world, so Christians do not try to shape its future through politics but by spreading the words of Jesus Christ.
I can't imagine one of Jehovah's Witnesses wanting to vote. When you know that, whoever you vote for, the government always wins then why bother?
are you a singaporean?
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#8 Oct 7, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
I still refuse to vote. I could care less which crook gets elected.
I don;t watch them and have zero interest in them.

I find it odd when JW's and their supporters say they are interested in polotics. I think it shows they don't really have much faith in God and his arrangments.

“Paradise Earth”

Location hidden

#9 Oct 7, 2012
Pam wrote:
I find it odd when JW's and their supporters say they are interested in polotics. I think it shows they don't really have much faith in God and his arrangments.
Do you think Jesus was wrong to tell us to "keep on the watch"?
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#10 Oct 7, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Jesus was wrong to tell us to "keep on the watch"?
Not at all. Do you know what you are watching for?
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#11 Oct 7, 2012
Do you think he meant to watch politicians? I sure don;t think he did.
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#12 Oct 7, 2012
I think he meant for us to keep watching ourselves and make sure we are following him and no one else. and that we need to watch our hearts and thoughts.

Can you show me where he meant to watch the politics of this world?
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#13 Oct 7, 2012

New International Version (©1984)
Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."
New Living Translation (©2007)
Keep alert at all times. And pray that you might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man."

English Standard Version (©2001)
But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

“Paradise Earth”

Location hidden

#14 Oct 7, 2012
Pam wrote:
I think he meant for us to keep watching ourselves and make sure we are following him and no one else. and that we need to watch our hearts and thoughts.
Can you show me where he meant to watch the politics of this world?
I am sure, in places we are told to watch ourselves.

HOWEVER:

*** Mat 24:15,16 "When, therefore, you see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.

Please explain how we are to see "the abomination of desolation" (United Nations) that Jesus says we will see if we don't take note of what is happening in the world?

*** Mat 24:32,33 "Now from the fig tree learn this parable. When its branch has now become tender, and puts forth its leaves, you know that the summer is near. Even so you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Please explain how we are to see "all these things" if we do not pay attention to what is happening in the world?

*** Mat 24:37-42 "As the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ship, and they did not know until the flood came, and took them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and one will be left; two women grinding at the mill, one will be taken and one will be left. Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord comes.

Jesus gave us clear SIGNS that we are to WATCH for, because the Bible does not give the date of Armageddon.

And we are told that the day (Armageddon) will not take us by surprise because of our watchfulness:

*** 1 Thess 5:3-6 For when they are saying, "Peace and safety," then sudden destruction will come on them, like birth pains on a pregnant woman; and they will in no way escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness, that the day should overtake you like a thief. You are all children of light, and children of the day. We do not belong to the night, nor to darkness, so then let us not sleep, as the rest do, but let us watch and be sober.

Oh, but Pam, you are NOT on the watch for these things (by your own admission) are you?
Pam wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses have FULL FAITH in Jesus and his appointed disciples who say that by watching the events of the world in the last days they will not be taken by surprise to the same degree that everyone else will be.

“Family comes First”

Since: May 11

Weston super Mare

#15 Oct 7, 2012
meho wrote:
All due respect to your good self, but US politics are about as interesting as watching paint dry!

Our own Prime Minister David Cameron is allowed to spend no more than £100,000 on an electioneering campaign. So we don't get all that TV hype.
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#16 Oct 8, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
HOWEVER:
*** Mat 24:15,16 "When, therefore, you see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
Please explain how we are to see "the abomination of desolation" (United Nations) that Jesus says we will see if we don't take note of what is happening in the world?
*** Mat 24:32,33 "Now from the fig tree learn this parable. When its branch has now become tender, and puts forth its leaves, you know that the summer is near. Even so you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Please explain how we are to see "all these things" if we do not pay attention to what is happening in the world?
*** Mat 24:37-42 "As the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ship, and they did not know until the flood came, and took them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and one will be left; two women grinding at the mill, one will be taken and one will be left. Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord comes.
Jesus gave us clear SIGNS that we are to WATCH for, because the Bible does not give the date of Armageddon.
And we are told that the day (Armageddon) will not take us by surprise because of our watchfulness:
*** 1 Thess 5:3-6 For when they are saying, "Peace and safety," then sudden destruction will come on them, like birth pains on a pregnant woman; and they will in no way escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness, that the day should overtake you like a thief. You are all children of light, and children of the day. We do not belong to the night, nor to darkness, so then let us not sleep, as the rest do, but let us watch and be sober.
Oh, but Pam, you are NOT on the watch for these things (by your own admission) are you?
<quoted text>
Jehovah's Witnesses have FULL FAITH in Jesus and his appointed disciples who say that by watching the events of the world in the last days they will not be taken by surprise to the same degree that everyone else will be.
Nope, I am makingsure I am following Jesus words about what he really wants from us for us and for us to do.
You see, those scriptures you quoted happened in 70AD.
I see rising grocery priv=ces, and I see how people teat others today. I also see the false teachers and those who try to make scripture fit an agenda.
Satan likes it when people are diverted like that, like you.
Now, go look up the sctipure about being happy with what you have.
I do not care about the United Nations at all. Let them do what they want. I already know that Jesus is going to do his Fathers will and take care of everything. I am free from the burdens you have.
The truth set me free.
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#17 Oct 8, 2012
Mikronboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All due respect to your good self, but US politics are about as interesting as watching paint dry!
Our own Prime Minister David Cameron is allowed to spend no more than £100,000 on an electioneering campaign. So we don't get all that TV hype.
I feel that way about all politics everywhere. The President was here in Bakersfield today and I could have cared less.
But my poor husband got caught in a traffic jam when he went to the feed store to buy mats for the horse paddock caused from everyone wanting to seehim as he drove around.
He had to divert 6 miles out of his way to get around it.

My trust isn;t in politicans nor do I care to watch them or what they do.
It is going to happen the way it is supposed to anyway.
My faith is in BGod and his Son and their kingdom to set everything straight in their own time.
Until then, I just keep on keeping on.
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#18 Oct 8, 2012
Aneirin wrote:
<quoted text>
HOWEVER:
<quoted text>
Gareth, if you want to waste your time worrying about the UN and politics go ahead.
Fine by me.
I do not watch the world or care to.
We have already seen more than enough to know where we are in the stream of time.
Nobody knows when the hour will come right?
So just worry that you are found in good standing with Jesus...not a WTS or Govt or whatever it is you want to worry about.
I am not wasting time worrying. It doesn;t add a day to your life but might take a few away.

“Christmas ONLY for Christians!”

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#19 Oct 8, 2012
"In no country do Jehovah's witnesses take part in politics. They are not of this world.(John 17:14) Therefore they do not take part in voting at elections. They do not compromise their neutral standing in matters of politics, however, if they go to the polls and make the ballot void in some manner, either by crossing it out or by putting down, for example, the words "For God's Kingdom.""

1964, 15 may, p 308

"Jehovah's witnesses keep separate from all politics, not even voting,"

1973, 15 oct, p 627

"as well as being clean from all political involvement, not even voting"

1977, 15 nov, p 686
Pam

Bakersfield, CA

#20 Oct 8, 2012
That definatly shows they added "not voting" as an afterthought in avioding all politics. Seems they can't understand that part today.

I remember some dummy even sdayingthat some JW's do vote... cause it is a "concience matter."
Sems they were wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two-class System of JWs explained. 2 min PrufSammy 361
How Could God Essentially Turn an Angel Into God? 3 min Spike 510
POSTINGS ON THE TRINITY IN 39 posts 5 min Anonymous Brother 99
Churchoid Bible Question Challenge - # 1 32 min sidgi 8
Trinity on the decline? 1 hr The Real Karen 25
John 1:1 1 hr the Mad JW 83
The JWS are the Happiest people on earth. 1 hr the Mad JW 27
Loving the taste of wormwood. 13 hr BetheljudgmentDan... 294
More from around the web