First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Pottstown, PA

#386 Dec 16, 2010
dee lightful wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us look at Strong;s # 1943 where hovah means ruin, disaster/ Hence Je-hovah is a god of disaster.
Also look at Strong;# 5753 where ahvah means to do perversely.Hense J-ahvah or Y-ahvah means a god that does perversily.
Neither of these words have anything to do with the rendering of the Hebrew tetragrammaton of the Holy Name into English as the one word, Jehovah. "Jehovah" is based on the Masoretic text; somebody has used his or her imagination so as assume that it is formed from the above two words.
dee lightful wrote:
Look at Strong's # 5773 ahvah, meaning distorting and perverting.
Jehovah was first used in 1278 and is not found in the Torah, which is much older than the OT so it is obviously not the true name of God .
The Holy Name from which the English form "Jehovah" is found in the Torah. You will not find Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joshua, etc., in the Torah either.

I have no reason to believe that either the English words Jehovah or Yahweh, neither of which English words may be found in the Bible Hebrew text, are not true representations of the Holy Name in English.
dee lightful wrote:
When YHVH appeared in the Torah, Adonai was what was spoken orally.
You will not find either the English characters YHVH or the English transliteration Adonai in the the Torah. Indeed, the Hebrew form from which Adonai is transliterated may not have even existed when the Torah was written. They formed the word we often transliterate as Adonai (or Adonay) by adding a vowel point wherever they thought it applied to God.

No one can, however, be certain that whatever transliteration device they are using is perfect. Not all use the same transliteration devices, and thus not all transliterate the Strong's #136 as Adonai. Strong transliterates it as " 'Adonay ".
dee lightful wrote:
I believe it was Timsdale who first inserted the false name for God in the bible.
If the word JEHOVAH is a false name of God, then so are all the other English words used of every person in the Hebrew Bible that Tyndale used false "names", which is ridiculous. We certainly have no evidence that Tyndale took his rendering of the Holy Name from the Hebrew words represented by Strong's #s 5775 or 5753 or 1943. "Jehovah" is used to represent the single Hebrew verb that represents the Holy Name.
dee lightful wrote:
I believe after much study and research that the newest bibles are removing that name because it was found to be false. It was unknown to the Herew.s.
Most of the newest translations change the Holy Name to "The Lord" or "God", neither of which actually represent the active form of the Hebrew verb that represents the Holy Name. The Most High has not given anyone any authority to change His Holy Name to that of words that do not actually represent the Holy Name.

And so were the words Jesus, John, Joshua, Isaac, Jacob, etc., unknown to the ancient Hebrews.

I can say, however, that one can become idolatrous toward a word, even to the words "Jehovah" or "Yahweh", as they might of many other things that are used in the Bible, regardless of translation. Both the forms "Jehovah" and "Yahweh" have been used by some as though the words themselves have some kind of magic. Many who think that they have to come up with the way that God pronounced His Holy Name to Moses do this very same thing, by the way they would attribute some kind of magic to whatever assumptions of pronunciation of the Holy Name they come up with.
bible scholar

Bensenville, IL

#387 Dec 16, 2010
Gareth wrote:
Jehovah is the correct way to spell God's name in English.
We don't speak ancient Hebrew so the ancient Hebrew spelling is of no relevance to us.
Perhaps you think that God doesn't speak English?
Wrong little guy. Jehovah is a misspelled version that a catholic monk made way back in 1270 A.D. while writing a book.So your little cult is using a misspelled name for their cult!!! It dont get any goofier than that!!!

Since: Nov 08

Pottstown, PA

#388 Dec 22, 2010
bible scholar wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong little guy. Jehovah is a misspelled version that a catholic monk made way back in 1270 A.D. while writing a book.So your little cult is using a misspelled name for their cult!!! It dont get any goofier than that!!!
I am not with the Jehovah's Witnesses, but, in view of all that I have posted, the above statement that Jehovah is a "misspelled version" should already be seen to be irrelevant.

Nevertheless, the English word "Jehovah" is spelled J-e-h-o-v-a-h; I know of no other spelling for this English word. How else should this English word should be spelled that would make this English spelling of the English word to be misspelled?

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#389 Sep 8, 2011
ResLight wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not with the Jehovah's Witnesses, but, in view of all that I have posted, the above statement that Jehovah is a "misspelled version" should already be seen to be irrelevant.
Nevertheless, the English word "Jehovah" is spelled J-e-h-o-v-a-h; I know of no other spelling for this English word. How else should this English word should be spelled that would make this English spelling of the English word to be misspelled?
"jehovah" is a fake, fabricated word.

The first time this fake, fabricated word appeared in the Bible, it was placed there in 1525 and it was written as, Iehouah.

The King James Bible changed the spelling to Jehovah for the 1762-1769 edition.

The Divine Name Brochure p.10, by the Watchtower Society states:

"Even though the modern pronunciation Jehovah might not be exactly the way it was pronounced originally, this in no way detracts from the importance of the name. &#133;

While many translators favor the pronunciation Yahweh, the New World Translation and also a number of other translations continue the use of the form Jehovah because of people's familiarity with it for centuries."

BECAUSE OF PEOPLE'S FAMILIARITY WITH IT...
JOHN

Islamabad, Pakistan

#390 Aug 26, 2012
Jehovah is name of god proved 100% from bible

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why the NWT is the best ever! 10 min I_know_better_now 725
Trump apologizes then reverts back to course. 12 min TempleMicrowave 56
Jesus NEVER died- was NEVER Resurrected: CHURCH... 3 hr rsss1 479
Seek and you shall find! 4 hr Ben Avraham 20
What do you think of Isa 38:10-11 and 17-19? 4 hr Ben Avraham 8
Psychology of White Supremacy 5 hr jace 22
Let's try this again, 144,000 ONLY? No jw has b... 5 hr red blood relative 894
Trinity...why does it matter?! 12 hr ihveit 922
Real JW's for your good should leave this forum! 13 hr dlmacoop 465
New Today music thread 15 hr GreatSouthbay4040 1,683