Native American 10 Commandments (& ot...

“BIBLE TRUTHS *NEVER* CHANGE”

Since: Aug 09

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4008 Nov 20, 2012
On Dwayne Lewis's first night home on the reservation in northeastern Arizona, he sat in the kitchen, watching his mother prepare dinner. Etta Lewis, 71, set the cast iron skillet on the burner, poured in corn oil, and lit the stove. She began moving a ball of dough back and forth between her hands, until she'd formed a large pancake.

She then pierced a hole in the center of the pancake with the back of her thumb, and laid it in the skillet. The bread puffed, and Etta turned it once with the fork, and flipped it over. It's not easy to fashion the perfect piece of frybead, but it had only taken Etta a few seconds to do it. She'd been making the food for so long that the work seemed part of her.

For Lewis and many other Native Americans, frybread links generation with generation and also connects the present to the painful narrative of Native American history. Navajo frybread originated 144 years ago, when the United States forced Indians living in Arizona to make the 300-mile journey known as the "Long Walk" and relocate to New Mexico, onto land that couldn't easily support their traditional staples of vegetables and beans.

To prevent the indigenous populations from starving, the government gave them canned goods as well as white flour, processed sugar and lard—the makings of frybread.

Why are some Native Americans so eager to celebrate a food that represents the brutality of the past and may be harming them in the present? One reason is the food's central role in powwows, intertribal fairs that bring together native artists, religious leaders, musicians—and food vendors.

Throughout the 19th century, the Federal government often prohibited intertribal gatherings, and as proud expressions of Indian identity, today's powwows are partly a reaction against that past suppression.

Many powwows host frybread competitions, and you'll typically find long lines at frybread stands. Last winter, Leonard Chee, a high-school history teacher who works part-time as a frybread vendor, drove his concessions trailer 330 miles from the Navajo capital in Window Rock to the Thunder in the Desert Powwow in Tucson, Arizona. Eating a slice of frybread at a powwow is like "absorbing everything about the event," he says, adding: "A powwow won't function without frybread."

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/f...

~~~~~~~~~~

FRY BREAD RECIPE

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
4 cups shortening for frying

Directions

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water. Knead until soft but not sticky. Shape dough into balls about 3 inches in diameter. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick, and make a small hole in the center of each patty.
Fry one at a time in 1 inch of hot shortening, turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4009 Nov 20, 2012
Nedoba wrote:
<quoted text>
TPMP.....When was the last time that YOU engaged in Field Service and "shared YOUR time, effort and gas money in what you seem to now think is "true love and sacrifice?"
You talk a lot of trash here but for all your boasting, are you really "exerting yourself" in WTS pursuits and activities common to WTS followers?

James 4:17 NCV ...Anyone who knows the right thing to do, but does not do it, is sinning.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4010 Nov 20, 2012
"We are friends; we must assist each other to bear our burdens."
-Native American Proverb.(Osage Nation)

"Help carry each other’s burdens. In this way you will follow Christ’s teachings." GAL 6:2

Since: Jul 11

Portadown

#4011 Nov 20, 2012
TPMP wrote:
A witness sharing God's message in a native American reservation.
True love and sacrifice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/preach/630518465...
A witness spreading the good news of the Gospel according to the watch tower."TPMP" Wrote in post No.3646.
Quote.
Gee...I wasn't aware that you still had hair.

LOL!

“KeepProclaiming Christ Death ”

Since: Dec 09

Darby, PA

#4012 Nov 21, 2012
Nedoba wrote:
"We are friends; we must assist each other to bear our burdens."
-Native American Proverb.(Osage Nation)
"Help carry each other’s burdens. In this way you will follow Christ’s teachings." GAL 6:2
I have missed you ladies here on NA 10 Comm. I will be finished with this semester on December 7th. I am taking several semeters off. I think I will return in the winter semeter next year. I can't work full time and go to school full time. It's too pressing on resources. I hope you have been well.

It saddens my heart Russell Means lost his battle with cancer and his families loss. Even though we know we will unite with our family in the future it is still a loss. We need to support those who have lost loved ones and help carry their burden in their loss.

~Hugz~

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4013 Nov 21, 2012
Lordylordy9111 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have missed you ladies here on NA 10 Comm. I will be finished with this semester on December 7th. I am taking several semeters off. I think I will return in the winter semeter next year. I can't work full time and go to school full time. It's too pressing on resources. I hope you have been well.
It saddens my heart Russell Means lost his battle with cancer and his families loss. Even though we know we will unite with our family in the future it is still a loss. We need to support those who have lost loved ones and help carry their burden in their loss.
~Hugz~
I am SO glad that you posted here today and very happy to see that you are okay. I have been thinking of you a lot and hoping you were just busy with more vital and beneficial things.

It seems wise to adjust your schedule to fit your needs. It is a stiff and demanding schedule what with all the other activities you have to face. Bravo to you!

Yes....I am still heartsick learning of Russell Mean's death...it was so unexpected. Hubby and I were just talking about him a few days ago. It is comforting knowing that he is at peace now and his trials are all over.

I am doing pretty well, thanks....and hope you are too. I am eagerly looking forward to the festivities here tomorrow. We have been enjoying fabulous weather with no snow as yet.

I have another (this makes four) scrip that carries a warning label that it may cause dizziness and drowsiness.(sigh) I usually take 2-3 much needed naps per day....and still sleep very well at night. I just dislike spending so much time SLEEPING when I could be doing something else.

Take care...I missed you...and I hope that you will be able to post here a bit more often now :o).....Love & hugs coming your way!

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4014 Nov 21, 2012
Thanksgiving Remembrance

A time to reflect on the year that has passed.
A time to look forward, not dwelling on the past.

A time to give thanks and know we are blessed.
A time to not worry and not to be distressed.

A time to think about some things I have done.
A time to thank Our Creator knowing that His children are all one.

A time for missing my family, so many are far away.
A time knowing that one day, everything will be okay.

1 Timothy 4:4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,

Thessalonians 5:18 – In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Darby, PA

#4015 Nov 21, 2012
I am glad your not sick. I personally can deal better with sleepiness than being sick.

I don't celebrate holidays. I don't even celebrate birthdsays. I try focusing on building on the message of the Lord. I find that there is a need to draw close to him in times when people are lead about and hurt by demons. In Jesus day he expelled many of them. You wouldn't really think there were that many Jews possessed but there were too many. That is how this system is structured. Prayer keeps up strengthened so we can strengthen others. I am always strenghtened after coming here.:)

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4017 Nov 21, 2012
Lordylordy9111 wrote:
I am glad your not sick. I personally can deal better with sleepiness than being sick.
I don't celebrate holidays. I don't even celebrate birthdsays. I try focusing on building on the message of the Lord. I find that there is a need to draw close to him in times when people are lead about and hurt by demons. In Jesus day he expelled many of them. You wouldn't really think there were that many Jews possessed but there were too many. That is how this system is structured. Prayer keeps up strengthened so we can strengthen others. I am always strenghtened after coming here.:)
I did remember that you didn't celebrate any holidays....so I made it a point NOT to personally wish your family a Happy Thanksgiving. I only mentioned that I was busy with preparing for ours because this IS what I've been doing off and on for a few days. The poem I posted and the videos I just put up....were meant to be "in general" for those that would enjoy them....not singling anyone out.

This is one of the options that I find so interesting about those of us who have left the WTS. We can express our likes and dislikes, and express what we choose to celebrate or not, and any number of things that we could see as a problem with at one time....but we CAN AND DO remain friends no matter what paths we choose to follow when worshiping God in the way that we feel is the correct one for us. If we felt we were heading the wrong way.....we would change our views and practices, LOL! We no longer have to pass inspection by or be obedient to religious leaders with huge egos.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4019 Nov 24, 2012
IT'S SNOWING!!!! We had a dusting last night that only covered the picnic table and sidewalks....but now it is snowing for real! It looks so pretty out there!

I always love seeing the first ground-covering snow of the winter. It makes everything look so pristine and gentle. I'm going out for a few moments to see if there are any critter's tracks out there. Hubby installed a new light (haha I just noticed that :o) on the back porch that lights up the yard rather than the porch. It makes it nice to see what's out there before it comes up onto the porch.

Hoping to get some of the lights and decorations up tomorrow...going to get outdoors and clip pine and holly greens for wreaths and boughs for ourselves and the kids and have a soup to get into the crock pot early on.

Looking forward to my morning coffee and enjoying the last of the caramel/apple doughnuts we bought this afternoon...boy were they good!

We had a fabulous Thanksgiving and enjoyed the company of someone we didn't expect to see here but were so happy to share our meal with and had a great time. He even did the dishes!

We had some interesting conversations about many subjects.(Day of Mourning was one topic and *I* didn't bring it up, LOL!) There wasn't a lull in the conversation from 10 AM when people began arriving....until about 7PM. Like I said, it was a very nice day and I will remember it always.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4020 Nov 25, 2012
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" ...CS Lewis

Lynchburg, VA

#4021 Nov 26, 2012
Nedoba wrote:
<quoted text>
I did remember that you didn't celebrate any holidays....so I made it a point NOT to personally wish your family a Happy Thanksgiving. I only mentioned that I was busy with preparing for ours because this IS what I've been doing off and on for a few days. The poem I posted and the videos I just put up....were meant to be "in general" for those that would enjoy them....not singling anyone out.
This is one of the options that I find so interesting about those of us who have left the WTS. We can express our likes and dislikes, and express what we choose to celebrate or not, and any number of things that we could see as a problem with at one time....but we CAN AND DO remain friends no matter what paths we choose to follow when worshiping God in the way that we feel is the correct one for us. If we felt we were heading the wrong way.....we would change our views and practices, LOL! We no longer have to pass inspection by or be obedient to religious leaders with huge egos.
Exactly! We don't have to pass the white glove inspection with a swipe of a finger and a nose in the air. I hate those who are prudish, covert, and hypocritical and would rather talk about you behind your back than say it to your face. I have grown sick of hypicracy. I would rather snuggle with a baboon than a cold hearted hypocrite like my mother and her friends that have bullied the sheep at the kingdom hall. It is sickening. Here we can be honest and accept each other for who we are. That's why I love coming here.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4022 Nov 26, 2012
Lordylordy9111 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! We don't have to pass the white glove inspection with a swipe of a finger and a nose in the air. I hate those who are prudish, covert, and hypocritical and would rather talk about you behind your back than say it to your face. I have grown sick of hypicracy. I would rather snuggle with a baboon than a cold hearted hypocrite like my mother and her friends that have bullied the sheep at the kingdom hall. It is sickening. Here we can be honest and accept each other for who we are. That's why I love coming here.
I agree with what you have said.....in fact, I have chosen to let go of the people in my life that are just as you described and knowing they are "going to talk" anyway, they can very well talk away with me being absent from their lives. I see no reason to be rude to them or be confrontational....but just let them drift from mine. It has worked very well for me, LOL!

I have gathered many friends since the WTS-worshipers labeled me as unacceptable association and dumped me because I no longer put my faith in the GB...and my surprising large group of new friends have all been very warm, generous, sweet and kind....the way friends are supposed to be (or they would not be considered AS friends!)

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4023 Nov 26, 2012
Sometimes we learn the hard way that time for ourselves is all-important. Personal time is as necessary as eating right, resting well, and refusing to allow negative thoughts to linger within our spiritual hearts.

Quality time is far more important than large quantities of time. How we use what we have makes all the difference. Even a walk in the woods or in a park, or lunch-time spent near a flowing fountain can refresh us; a weekend may be a real treat.

Quality time, for many people, also means quiet time—sitting, praying, meditating or perhaps doing some kind of needlework, artwork or hobby that is calming and quieting. Pay attention to what nourishes you in your personal time—then find ways of incorporating that into your schedule.

When you take care of yourself, you will find not only that your life is more enjoyable but also
that you make life more enjoyable for others as well.

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4024 Nov 26, 2012
Native Wisdom: Beware of malice of the heart

"the voice and the heart are not working together."

--Barney Bush, SHAWNEE Nation

We can say any words we want with our voice but we cannot hide the true meaning and the true spirit behind the words. The true meaning is always understood.

Our voices are heard in the physical world, but the meanings are also transmitted into the spiritual world. If our voice says one thing but the heart is saying something else, it's the "something else" that is heard.

It is said that the truth will set you free. Reaching the truth means your voice and your words will be in alignment with your heart.

Great Creator, let my tongue always speak the truth.
Florida is the best

Merrill, WI

#4025 Nov 26, 2012
I LOVE fried bread,...
Can you please make me some?
Thank-you sweet lady:)

“NO, YOU MOVE.”

Since: Dec 06

Republic of Elbonia

#4026 Nov 26, 2012
Pill Popper MethShell aka Florida is the best wrote:
I LOVE fried bread,...
Yeah, you look it.
Cold Wisconsin

Merrill, WI

#4027 Nov 26, 2012
FH Chandler wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you look it.
***Where is Your Picture Coward,Fake,Lying chandler?***

I am proud of what I look like,and dont have a issue with posting my photo, however people just like you, whom are jealous and have a insecurity problem of what your nasty azz looks like are affraid to post their picture...lol

Dont need to be a hater and jealous, I cant help it you look hideous and dont want people to laugh at your picture...lol.lol.lol.

Jealousy is a ugly thang!!!!!

“NO, YOU MOVE.”

Since: Dec 06

Republic of Elbonia

#4028 Nov 26, 2012
Pill Popper MethShell aka Cold Wisconsin wrote:
I am proud of what I look like...
You also proudly date registered sex offenders.

Pill Popper MethShell: however people just like you, whom are jealous...

Reply: Of who? Your sex offender [former?] fiance who looks like Ron Jeremy's fatter, retarded brother? Or the other morbidly obese sex offender you dated?

LET GO AND LET GOD

#4029 Nov 26, 2012
We are nearin the end of another November.....remembering that November is American Indian & Alaska Native Heritage Month.

Heritage Month is a time to celebrate the rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and histories and to acknowledge the important contributions of Native people.

Heritage Month is also an opportune time to educate the general public about tribes, to raise a general awareness about the unique challenges Native people have faced both historically and in the present, and the ways in which tribal citizens have worked to conquer these challenges.

visit NativeAmericanHeritageMonth.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you churchoids agree with IrishDumb & Dumboy? 6 min Irishdub 25
YES-Jesus WAS once known as Michael (Sep '14) 13 min PrufSammy 7,521
News Jehovah's Witness conventions will draw 11,000 ... 15 min Analytical7 41
1914 26 min red blood relative 236
Jehovah, the God of "Truth" 35 min sidgi 57
How Could God Essentially Turn an Angel Into God? 46 min dee lightful 118
News 'Remain Loyal!' theme of Jehovah's Witnesses co... 50 min I_know_better_now 235
You know, churchoids- 1 hr Brother P 527
News Judge sanctions Jehovah's Witnesses 12 hr red blood relative 32
More from around the web