This is a Cult?

Jul 18, 2008 Full story: www.lifeway.com 593

Cults gain members because they actively recruit and because potential converts aren't familiar enough with the truth.

Read more
First Prev
of 30
Next Last
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#1 Jul 18, 2008
I see no previous posts, so I will be the first.
The pope would definitely say, that any denomination outside of the catholic chuch is a cult. That includes all 10,000 or more denominations. Can anyone explain why he is wrong?
Thanks

Since: Apr 07

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jul 18, 2008
A cult by psychological definitions is any religion that socially isolates themselves to the detriment of their members. Do the Jehovah's Witnesses socially isolate themselves to the detriment of their members?

Since: Aug 07

Houston

#3 Jul 18, 2008
HaShomer wrote:
I see no previous posts, so I will be the first.
The pope would definitely say, that any denomination outside of the catholic chuch is a cult. That includes all 10,000 or more denominations. Can anyone explain why he is wrong?
Thanks


Would definitely say?

He either said it, or he didn't.

If he indeed said it, provide your source?
unlisted

Greensboro, NC

#4 Jul 18, 2008
he would definitely say????

roflmao ok show us the quote and the place and time he said this..

and look up the word cult and look up Lifton and see what he says about cults this org.

but first where did the pope say that?????

wow there are a lot of people getting desperate here on these boards.. loll

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#5 Jul 18, 2008
I think the term 'cult' is very acceptable to the Catholics. I think they use it to refer to sub-beliefs within Catholicism.
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#6 Jul 18, 2008
You ask and I comply.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19692094/
Thanks
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#7 Jul 18, 2008
Everyone that follows the beast is part of the beast!
Pray for wisdom and deliverence from the deception of Satan.
The trinity is one of the main doctrines of the catholic church! Due diligence while there is still time.
Shalom!
dee

Greenville, SC

#8 Jul 18, 2008
Gareth wrote:
I think the term 'cult' is very acceptable to the Catholics. I think they use it to refer to sub-beliefs within Catholicism.
What are sub-beliefs within Catholicism?
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#9 Jul 18, 2008
Hi dee,
Here are some of sub-beliefs founded by the catholic church, according to the "authority they claim to have directly from god.
1)Council of Nicea 325AD. Please go online and due diligence. Basically this is where the trinity theology comes from, along with the changing of the true festivals of YHVH Leviticus 23 to Easter, Xmass, the mass itself, eucharist.
2)Council of Laodicea 327AD. By decree of the universal church, they changed YHWH Sabbath, from Saturday the 7th day Exodus 20:8 to Sunday.
3)Sprinkling, instead of immersion.
4)Priests not allowed to marry.
These are just a few. I can post more later if you like.
Thanks for reading my post.
Shalom in messiah Yahuahshua!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#10 Jul 18, 2008
dee wrote:
<quoted text>
What are sub-beliefs within Catholicism?
Im not an expert but I think they refer to a 'cult' as a form of veneration or worship.

The cult of Mary, cult of the martyrs, cult of the cross... I think these are the kinds of cults you get within Catholicism.

Since: Aug 07

Houston

#11 Jul 18, 2008
HaShomer wrote:
You ask and I comply.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19692094/
Thanks
An excerpt from the doctrine that was released:

It is possible, according to Catholic doctrine, to affirm correctly that the Church of Christ is present and operative in the churches and ecclesial Communities not yet fully in communion with the Catholic Church, on account of the elements of sanctification and truth that are present in them.[9] Nevertheless, the word “subsists” can only be attributed to the Catholic Church alone precisely because it refers to the mark of unity that we profess in the symbols of the faith (I believe... in the “one” Church); and this “one” Church subsists in the Catholic Church.[10]

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregatio...

This is a far cry from your assertion that the pope has declared all religions cults.

Is that why you didn’t provide a link to the actual doctrine?
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#12 Jul 18, 2008
Proclaiming Truth,
Why don't you post the whole statement found in http://www.catholic.org/international/interna...
Here is the exerpt
The doctrinal congregation made clear that Vatican II did not modify but rather clarified and made explicit what may have been uncertain or unclear in the field of ecumenical relations.“The Second Vatican Council neither changed nor intended to change” Catholic doctrine on the church, it said,“rather it developed, deepened and more fully explained it.”

It said that the Second Vatican Council was clear in stating that Christ’s church “subsists in the Catholic Church, governed by the successor of Peter and the bishops in communion with him.”

That phrase affirms that the “historical continuity and the permanence of all the elements instituted by Christ” are only present in the Catholic Church, the congregation said.

It noted that the Orthodox faith communities are called “churches,” though separate from the Catholic Church, as they have retained apostolic succession, the ordained priesthood and the Eucharist. Because of those close bonds, the congregation said, they merit the title of churches and are seen as “sister churches” of specific Catholic churches.

Yet, Christian communities “born out of the Reformation” do not share that union as they “do not enjoy apostolic succession in the sacrament of orders,” the Vatican congregation said.

“These ecclesial communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood, have not preserved the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic mystery cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called churches in the proper sense,” it said.

In a “commentary” issued with the document, the congregation said that “ecumenical dialogue remains one of the priorities of the Catholic Church.”

Yet, it stressed that such dialogue must be founded on “not just mutual openness of the participants but also fidelity to the identity of the Catholic faith.”

The congregation noted that, while "Catholic ecumenism might seem, at first sight, somewhat paradoxical,” the Second Vatican Council has sought to “try to harmonize two doctrinal affirmations” that, despite existent Christian divisions,“the church of Christ continues to exist fully only in the Catholic Church” and that “elements of sanctification and truth do exist … in ecclesial communities that are not fully in communion with the Catholic Church."

“The fullness of the Catholic Church, therefore, already exists, but still has to grow in the brethren who are not yet in full communion with it and also in its own members who are sinners.”
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#13 Jul 18, 2008
The catholic church through its ecumenical power decreed all religions outside of catholisism as heretics. http://www.maryisgod.org/Catholic-Decrees-Ecu...
jace

Manassas, VA

#14 Jul 18, 2008
HaShomer wrote:
The catholic church through its ecumenical power decreed all religions outside of catholisism as heretics. http://www.maryisgod.org/Catholic-Decrees-Ecu...
repost

"On October 31, 1517, in Saxony (in what is now Germany), Martin Luther nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Castle Church"

I guess this is where it took off at in terms of the the Protestant Reformation-

bottomline is--

these guys no longer bought the belief that the Pope's Ice is "Colder" than everyone elses-

When on christian faith declares they got the coldest Ice because OTHERS are teaching stuff NOT IN THE BIBLE, they better make sure that the ruler they measure others is not able to be used on them

and that is the problem with dogmatic religions so many times, they end up with EGG ON FACE

when you look into their closet and see man made dogmas being sold as the Gospel of Christ

Since: Aug 07

Houston

#15 Jul 18, 2008
HaShomer wrote:
Proclaiming Truth,
Why don't you post the whole statement found in http://www.catholic.org/international/interna...
Here is the exerpt
The doctrinal congregation made clear that Vatican II did not modify but rather clarified and made explicit what may have been uncertain or unclear in the field of ecumenical relations.“The Second Vatican Council neither changed nor intended to change” Catholic doctrine on the church, it said,“rather it developed, deepened and more fully explained it.”
It said that the Second Vatican Council was clear in stating that Christ’s church “subsists in the Catholic Church, governed by the successor of Peter and the bishops in communion with him.”
That phrase affirms that the “historical continuity and the permanence of all the elements instituted by Christ” are only present in the Catholic Church, the congregation said.
It noted that the Orthodox faith communities are called “churches,” though separate from the Catholic Church, as they have retained apostolic succession, the ordained priesthood and the Eucharist. Because of those close bonds, the congregation said, they merit the title of churches and are seen as “sister churches” of specific Catholic churches.
Yet, Christian communities “born out of the Reformation” do not share that union as they “do not enjoy apostolic succession in the sacrament of orders,” the Vatican congregation said.
“These ecclesial communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood, have not preserved the genuine and integral substance of the Eucharistic mystery cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called churches in the proper sense,” it said.
In a “commentary” issued with the document, the congregation said that “ecumenical dialogue remains one of the priorities of the Catholic Church.”
Yet, it stressed that such dialogue must be founded on “not just mutual openness of the participants but also fidelity to the identity of the Catholic faith.”
The congregation noted that, while "Catholic ecumenism might seem, at first sight, somewhat paradoxical,” the Second Vatican Council has sought to “try to harmonize two doctrinal affirmations” that, despite existent Christian divisions,“the church of Christ continues to exist fully only in the Catholic Church” and that “elements of sanctification and truth do exist … in ecclesial communities that are not fully in communion with the Catholic Church."
“The fullness of the Catholic Church, therefore, already exists, but still has to grow in the brethren who are not yet in full communion with it and also in its own members who are sinners.”
Just how does that translate into 10,000 cults?

I'm not a catholic, so of course I don't agree with the statement, but I'm not offended by it, either!

Unlike the WTS' presumptiveness, the pope's presumptiveness does not occlude me from the Body of Christ, and he doesn't declare my beliefs satanic.

His statement reflect my thoughts on the Catholic faith, they are babes in Christ, and have yet reached their full potential in Christ!
unlisted

Greensboro, NC

#16 Jul 18, 2008
who="Gareth"]I think the term 'cult' is very acceptable to the Catholics. I think they use it to refer to sub-beliefs within Catholicism.

where did you find this information??
unlisted

Greensboro, NC

#17 Jul 18, 2008
ho="HaShomer"]Hi dee,
Here are some of sub-beliefs founded by the catholic church, according to the "authority they claim to have directly from god.
1)Council of Nicea 325AD. Please go online and due diligence. Basically this is where the trinity theology comes from, along with the changing of the true festivals of YHVH Leviticus 23 to Easter, Xmass, the mass itself, eucharist.
2)Council of Laodicea 327AD. By decree of the universal church, they changed YHWH Sabbath, from Saturday the 7th day Exodus 20:8 to Sunday.
3)Sprinkling, instead of immersion.
4)Priests not allowed to marry.
These are just a few. I can post more later if you like.
Thanks for reading my post.
Shalom in messiah Yahuahshua!

are you for real??? rofl are you a jw??? you are hilarous.. and a joke
unlisted

Greensboro, NC

#18 Jul 18, 2008
who="Gareth"]
Im not an expert but I think they refer to a 'cult' as a form of veneration or worship.
The cult of Mary, cult of the martyrs, cult of the cross... I think these are the kinds of cults you get within Catholicism.

YOU THINK????? someone who has no religion posts something and says I think???? i have never in my 55 years of life heard what you just said..

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#19 Jul 18, 2008
unlisted wrote:
who="Gareth"]I think the term 'cult' is very acceptable to the Catholics. I think they use it to refer to sub-beliefs within Catholicism.
where did you find this information??
Okay. My info is half remembered from a conversation I have maybe 2 years ago with a Catholic on another DB. I seem to remember it was something like that but I could be wrong.
HaShomer

Fort Myers, FL

#20 Jul 18, 2008
unlisted wrote:
ho="HaShomer"]Hi dee,
Here are some of sub-beliefs founded by the catholic church, according to the "authority they claim to have directly from god.
1)Council of Nicea 325AD. Please go online and due diligence. Basically this is where the trinity theology comes from, along with the changing of the true festivals of YHVH Leviticus 23 to Easter, Xmass, the mass itself, eucharist.
2)Council of Laodicea 327AD. By decree of the universal church, they changed YHWH Sabbath, from Saturday the 7th day Exodus 20:8 to Sunday.
3)Sprinkling, instead of immersion.
4)Priests not allowed to marry.
These are just a few. I can post more later if you like.
Thanks for reading my post.
Shalom in messiah Yahuahshua!
are you for real??? rofl are you a jw??? you are hilarous.. and a joke
Hi Unlisted,
I am not a JW nor have I ever been a JW. I am a messianic jew and follower of Yahuashua the messiah. What are you disagreeing with. Trinity, Sabbath, Easter, Christ-mass or Christmas?
Please let me know if I can answer your concerns.
Shabbat Shalom!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 30
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I got baptized this Sunday 23 min abe 128
Christian Trucker and OSAS Doctrine 44 min PVA 15
3 "Divine Essences/Natures" - what Translation? 1 hr little angel 78
Do Jehovah's witnesses believe in Jesus for sal... 1 hr sanctus2015 219
48 hours last night, about one of Jehovah's Wit... 1 hr hMMMMM 3
Grandma pleads with Jehovah's Witness Granddaug... 1 hr hMMMMM 1
The Twinity Dogma- the Most Ridiculous Dogma of... 1 hr the Mad JW 22
YES-Jesus WAS once known as Michael (Sep '14) 1 hr sanctus2015 2,916
What is the trinity? (Apr '13) 8 hr curtjester1 18,717
What Event marked the Start of the Gentile Times? 9 hr LineCalier 96
More from around the web