Ruling on baby's blood transfusions

Ruling on baby's blood transfusions

There are 127 comments on the Bicester Advertiser story from Mar 3, 2014, titled Ruling on baby's blood transfusions. In it, Bicester Advertiser reports that:

A High Court judge has given permission for a baby boy to undergo blood transfusions during an operation notwithstanding his parents' objections on religious grounds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bicester Advertiser.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Supremeliberal

Lufkin, TX

#1 Mar 3, 2014
The courts have generally rule children has right over their parent religious beliefs, and have sent parent to prison for not getting proper medical treatment for their children based on religion, do a Non Witness spouse have the right to give his Jehovah Witness spouse a blood transfusion over her objection ,spouse generally have legal authority on the treatment of their spouse ,when they cannot make an medical decision on their own
Billy Bonehead

London, UK

#2 Mar 3, 2014
In the uk a judge in chambers can make a decision if the recipient was not fit to agree. or disagree.if however such a person made a legal document saying they did not want to take blood its up to the judge and could be over ruled if say the person made the decision long ago and say the husband stated she had informed him she no longer objected or had lost faith.
no one has the right to terminate someone's life or even aid them take their life in most of Europe
but Switzerland allow people usually with terminal illness to end their own lives by utilizing a self injectable poison.
also there is a difference in not transfusion an otherwise healthy young person. and someone who would recover for a short time and be in great pain with no quality of life
In the same way a life support system would be turned off.
many make living will saying do not resuscitate in the event of brain injury.

“New one man.”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3 Mar 3, 2014
If an adult JW has a living will and advanced directive stating they want no blood, I think the spouse should uphold that.
I feel differently about minors, however.
Even if the spouse disagrees, it's no different than if they said they wanted no life support or wanted to be cremated. As adults we should all have that right to decide for ourselves.
Even without the AD if the spouse knows the others wishes they should abide by it.
A child however should not be forced to lose their life or suffer because of choices someone else has made.
Billy Bonehead

London, UK

#4 Mar 3, 2014
Most people on life support are not in a condition to agree and will be given life support automatically in the event of say an auto accident. No one can just just turn life support off.
Cremation is after death and so not a life or death decision.
Most doctors will treat rather than not, but giving unwanted treatment can be considered assault.
Blood transfusion are a specific procedure , if you are aware when admitted to hospital for almost any condition, you will be asked " is there any reason we will not be able to give a blood transfusion should the need arise"
If you are against it for religious reasons you would be informed of the possible consequence. and asked to sign a form.

but as I said in an auto accident if your unconsciousness with no one to speak for you then you could be given blood
Most Jw do carry a card but this could be overlooked in an emergency

of course if you were given blood you could later take your own life to make up for the error.
all this was caused by some old drunk called Rutherford in the 1930s
it really is a ludicrous doctrine

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#5 Mar 3, 2014
I believe it's becoming more common to make the elders in the congregation your, 'power of attorney' when it comes to medical issue's so the unbelieving spouse will have no say so what so ever.
True Christian witness

Chandler, AZ

#6 Mar 3, 2014
Billy Bonehead wrote:
Most people on life support are not in a condition to agree and will be given life support automatically in the event of say an auto accident. No one can just just turn life support off.
Cremation is after death and so not a life or death decision.
Most doctors will treat rather than not, but giving unwanted treatment can be considered assault.
Blood transfusion are a specific procedure , if you are aware when admitted to hospital for almost any condition, you will be asked " is there any reason we will not be able to give a blood transfusion should the need arise"
If you are against it for religious reasons you would be informed of the possible consequence. and asked to sign a form.
but as I said in an auto accident if your unconsciousness with no one to speak for you then you could be given blood
Most Jw do carry a card but this could be overlooked in an emergency
of course if you were given blood you could later take your own life to make up for the error.
all this was caused by some old drunk called Rutherford in the 1930s
it really is a ludicrous doctrine
John 8:44

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#7 Mar 3, 2014
Matt9969 wrote:
I believe it's becoming more common to make the elders in the congregation your,'power of attorney' when it comes to medical issue's so the unbelieving spouse will have no say so what so ever.
. Then the question is.. how is that the Elder's can circumvent a husbands authority ..As the wife is to be..in subjection to him.. NOT.. them.??
Dub

Saint Augustine, FL

#8 Mar 3, 2014
The poor elders will be held responsible for any litigation as the WBTS throw them under the bus as in the Conti case.

Here is an example how one elder in Ireland years ago passed the buck, on the responsibility for authorizing blood transfusion for children.

****"When it comes to the crunch a doctor has the right, if he feels the child is going to die, under common law to administer blood. All he needs is to have a colleague okay it. Why pre-empt the whole thing by getting a court order?"******

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/be...

Freddie Franz is responsible for this twisted teaching of scripture, presumably for the free advertisement and free exposure in the media at the cost of children's lives. This "doctrine" it seems has backed fired on the pocket books and bad media attention to the WBTS and they are washing their hands of any responsibility as they pass the buck down the line to elders and elders to doctors !

It is admirable that the elder took this action to save children's lives, however, if a blood transfusion is a sin, that would be like saying if the doctors say you must have sex to live then they can authorized it...it's passing the buck, plain and simple !
Billy Bonehead

London, UK

#9 Mar 3, 2014
Maravilla wrote:
<quoted text>
. Then the question is.. how is that the Elder's can circumvent a husbands authority ..As the wife is to be..in subjection to him.. NOT.. them.??
if its an emergency situation and no card is found then a blood transfusion will be given as a matter of course. only if the doctors are aware of a person being a jw and have this information would blood be withheld.any attempt to prevent a minor having such a procedure in the UK would result in the child being made a ward of court and any objections would be overridden.
All hospitals have lawyers who can be consulted and if doctors consult a lawyer they are not likely to be subject to any malpractice suit.
Billy Bonehead

London, UK

#10 Mar 3, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
<quoted text>
when the bible was written blood transfusion were unheard of it was to do with the drinking of blood.
The watchtower has used a few lines to outlaw something obviously not intended by the writers of the bible.
and if you say any blood well this was not the case until One man deemed it so
and its just his opinion if every line of text in the bible was adhered to Jw would be unable to live.and slavery would still be sanctioned.
The watchtower are stuck with this they cannot say it is OK now because of all the deaths.
In the same way all predictions have come back to haunt them..
little lamb

Port Augusta, Australia

#11 Mar 3, 2014
Our prayer is to Jehovah

" May your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.'

In the end every matter being heard ' fear the true God and keep his commandments.'

"Keep abstaining from fornication things strangled and blood"

Keep the children in the love of God.
Dub

Saint Augustine, FL

#13 Mar 3, 2014
****B L O O D ******= Symbol of LIFE !

The SYMBOL of LIFE was never intended to become greater than the reality of LIFE itself ! we don't let children die, their life is worth more that a transfusion, given to save life.

Leviticus 17:
11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.

This was the symbol of blood, to make atonement for the penalty of sin.
The reality of that payment was made in Christ Jesus death !

The symbol is no longer needed, the law was fulfilled in. Christ !

Location hidden

#14 Mar 3, 2014
Billy Bonehead wrote:
<quoted text>
if its an emergency situation and no card is found then a blood transfusion will be given as a matter of course. only if the doctors are aware of a person being a jw and have this information would blood be withheld.any attempt to prevent a minor having such a procedure in the UK would result in the child being made a ward of court and any objections would be overridden.
All hospitals have lawyers who can be consulted and if doctors consult a lawyer they are not likely to be subject to any malpractice suit.
. Okay.. so say I go in there .comatose ..and have lost a lot of blood..and they don't know me from Adam... They treat me as they see fit ..and they see fit ..to pump blood in my veins... First off they only did what the felt they needed to do... SECOND..and a biggy here... I'm comatose ..remember.. therefore I am not able to make my feeling known... my feeling on the subject.. NO Guilt.. on either side.. GOD.. saw what happened.. AND ..it's no bodies business ..and that ..includes the ELDERS.. The very ELDERS that would sit back and say they couldn't do anything ..as there was no two witness to a rape... DO you get the drift on this... Yet.. if Sister busy body.. who works in billing ..and knows me...types up my bill..and then goes and tells the elders ..Guess what transpires....

Location hidden

#15 Mar 3, 2014
Dub wrote:
****B L O O D ******= Symbol of LIFE !
The SYMBOL of LIFE was never intended to become greater than the reality of LIFE itself ! we don't let children die, their life is worth more that a transfusion, given to save life.
Leviticus 17:
11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.
This was the symbol of blood, to make atonement for the penalty of sin.
The reality of that payment was made in Christ Jesus death !
The symbol is no longer needed, the law was fulfilled in. Christ !
. Atonement on the altar.. seems at the point .. the blood..was from ANIMALS..
KILLING OFF humans was not something that was suppose to be done.. There fore it would not be human blood being placed on the Altar.. second of all the blood of a dead man.. is not used for transfusion..as the blood begins to rapidly to deteriorate as soon as a person dies.. These ..are facts.. When referring to ( anything in the meat market ..you can eat ) it again was referring to animals.. not humans... And this is the blood ..we were told to abstain from... I think it falls under.. Some people eat meat ..and others veggies... It depends on YOUR faith and how YOU view the scriptures on it... THE fact is.. Animal blood is not compatible with man's ( DON'T know why..never bothered to waste my time on something I found totally irrelevant to my life.
I... for myself..chose not to take blood on two occasions.. People..do not govern their FAITH by what other do or do not do..They have to decide ..for themselves..

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#16 Mar 3, 2014
Maravilla wrote:
<quoted text>
JW's play lip service to this area. When one becomes a jw they assert all authority to the elders, even on believing spouses, or non believing children. Of us 6 children, not one of us is allowed to make any medical decisions for our jw mother. All that authority has been given to the elders in her congregation. So in a sense, even us kids had to submit legaly to the elders. There's nothing we can do.
little lamb

Port Augusta, Australia

#17 Mar 3, 2014
No one can do anything unless God allows it...a small piece of information most don't know.

Jehovah God allowed Shadrach and Meshach and Abednego to be thrown in the fire..but their faith was such they were not deterred from obeying him...and God protected them in the fire..

Our God is wiser and stronger and able to do all we ask or can even conceive..I wouldn't worry about any other authority, then him

: We must obey God as ruler rather then men'

And we have his promise of protection.

Location hidden

#18 Mar 3, 2014
Matt9969 wrote:
<quoted text>
JW's play lip service to this area. When one becomes a jw they assert all authority to the elders, even on believing spouses, or non believing children. Of us 6 children, not one of us is allowed to make any medical decisions for our jw mother. All that authority has been given to the elders in her congregation. So in a sense, even us kids had to submit legaly to the elders. There's nothing we can do.
. Look at it this way.. she has put things the way... she.. wants them... It's kind of like a do not resuscitate order...you love her...for who she is.. and let the rest go... knowing that she wants it that way..

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19 Mar 3, 2014
True Christian witness wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, TCW, that verse describes the JW religion.
tao itness

Darby, PA

#20 Mar 3, 2014
Jesus constantly rebuked the Pharisees for their negligence of compasion tword human life due to their strict adherence to their interpretation of the mosaic law. The Watchtower is NO different!
Also these men have no right anyway due to their changed doctrines that have caused THOUSANDS of witness deaths!

Since: Dec 07

Melbourne, Australia

#21 Mar 3, 2014
When the WTS (Gene Smalley) wrote "JWs and the Question of Blood", he/they consistently misquoted and misrepresented medical sources.

http://www.jwstudies.com/Handling_Medical_Evi...

Information on the authorship by Gene Smalley: http://www.jwstudies.com/Letter_from_Ray_Fran...

It is of course not a medical issue. It is not about medical dangers, it is only about the ability to interpret Scripture. My comments on that are available at:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Blood_is_a_religious...

In addition, I prepared a STudy that I aimed at the medical and legal professions:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Loyalty_Test.pdf

Doug

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jehovah's Witness Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ONE God 16 min Yakob 90
TORTURE- a Godly Virtue? 1 hr CIA Agent 603
Why we JWs are so HAPPY! (Apr '15) 1 hr CIA Agent 2,518
Some have lived through hell, literally! 1 hr Geronimo Spirit 233
For rsss1 Zechariah 2 1 hr rsss1 57
Does anybody have a testimony to share? 2 hr truthsetsfree 598
Another REASON why the NWT is the best Bible ever! 4 hr Tricarbonopolis 1,863
If Jesus is God Wed Holy dr Shrink 532
More from around the web