Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 256266 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#194150 Oct 31, 2013
if i cannot find even one true, here in TheTorah. before the next visit with G-D. i have absolutely truly nothing, to negotiate with G-D about. there is no way, i can ask G-D to postpone or not nearly destroy the whole world again. and the clock is still ticking, ever closer until the year 5844. there is no way, for me to negotiate with G-D, gone for the day of rest.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#194151 Oct 31, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you saw my other post where I mention the Mechon Memre translation, and this is why you are still using Chabad. And future prophecies are often written in present tense form.
I saw that post but for the point I was trying to make a translation or another was irrelevant. The point was that looking that the time of verbs and when it was written, we can be sure it's not about Yeshua. Hope this time is clear.

But in which form of present tense the prophecies were written?

Anyway all the prophecies about the Messiah that come in my mind are written in Simple Future:

Isa 2:4 And he shall judge between the nations and reprove many peoples

Isa 11:1 And there shall come forth a shoot out of the stock of Jesse, and a twig shall grow forth out of his roots.

Isa 11:4 And he shall judge the poor justly, and he shall chastise with equity the humble of the earth, and he shall smite the earth with the rod of his mouth and with the breath of his lips he shall put the wicked to death.

Isa 11:12 And He shall raise a banner to the nations, and He shall gather the lost of Israel, and the scattered ones of Judah He shall gather from the four corners of the earth.

Zech 8:23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts: In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold, out of all the languages of the nations, shall even take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying: We will go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.

Yechez 39:9 Then the inhabitants of the cities of Israel will go forth and make fires and heat up with the weapons, the bucklers, and the encompassing shields, the bows and the arrows and the handstaves and the spears, and burn them as fires for seven years.

And more... Please note that all the quotes are related to the messiah and the events around him.
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I think it means he's in. Nobody fits this prophecy of peace without end, and from now and to eternity. The only person who could at this point would be Jesus if he returned to rule the world as he promised. As I said, in many cases future prophecies are said in present tense as if they are saying what someone should say when it actually happens. It's weird, but that's the way they are often said, maybe to show the surety of them coming to fruition. If it meant during Isaiah's time, clearly then this would be a bogus prophecy as nobody actually met what Isaiah said.
I agree with you when you say no one fits the prophecy, and that no body met what Isaiah said; therefore Yeshua is not a valid option. The verse is clear about peace.

I failed to see this many prophecies in present tense.

By the way there is nothing in the Tanakh/OT whereclaim that the final messiah have to die and resurrect.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#194152 Nov 1, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that post but for the point I was trying to make a translation or another was irrelevant. The point was that looking that the time of verbs and when it was written, we can be sure it's not about Yeshua. Hope this time is clear.
Isaiah 7: 10-14

The Jews are looking for a social political Messiah.
But that is not what God had in mind when He sent Jesus.
God is concerned about the eternal spirit life of man.
Genesis 3:15
New International Version (NIV)

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel.”
The coming Messiah is to defeat Satan and free the Jews of eternal punishment for their sins.
Jesus fulfilled that prophecy.

The Jews interpret the Scripture from the stand point as a nation of people, misinterpreting their role as being the chosen people.
The Jews resented God bringing the gentiles into the covenant.
The Jews rejected Jesus because on the cross Jesus united the Jews and Gentile into one people.

Moreover the Lord spoke again to Ahaz, saying,“Ask a sign for yourself from the Lord your God; ask it either in the depth or in the height above.” But Ahaz said,“I will not ask, nor will I test the Lord!” Then Isaiah said,“Hear now, O house of David! Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will you weary my God also? Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold,[Alma is translated in the Greek as Virgin] the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. Curds and honey He shall eat, that He may know to refuse the evil and choose the good. For before the Child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land that you dread will be forsaken by both her kings. The Lord will bring the king of Assyria upon you and your people and your father’s house–days that have not come since the day that Ephraim departed from Judah.”

During the reign of the evil King Ahaz, war brok out between Judah and Israel. Pekah, the king of Israel, entered into an alliance with the King of Syria (Rezin). The latter two went to Jerusalem to besiege it.

When Judah’s King Ahaz learned of the coalition against him, his heart sank along with his people. He was an evil king and could not reasonably expect God’s intervention for him. But God had not given up on Judah. God sent the prophet Isaiah to Ahaz to give him a promise of the perpetuity of Judah.

The message from Isaiah was one of comfort. Even though the kings of Israel and Syria formed a confederacy against him, God will intervene. Isaiah told Ahaz to ask for a sign to authenticate the promise from God. He refused. So Isaiah gave a sign from God,“and shall call His name Immanuel”(Isaiah 7:14).

shall call His name “Immanuel”

The word “Immanuel” means God with us. The virgin’s son was God manifest in the flesh. This sign was not fulfilled during the days of Ahaz. This is a promise that God will be true to the line of David. Judah will have a future. That future will be established through “Immanuel.” This was a sign for the perpetuity of the nation.

The New Testament clearly saw this passage fulfilled in Christ. At the end of the genealogy of Jesus Matthew makes this statement,“So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:‘Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,’ which is translated,‘God with us’”(Matthew 1:23).

Both the Old and New Testaments promise the coming of Jesus Christ. God keeps his word. God indeed came in flesh and was born of a virgin. He was supernaturally conceived without a human father,“Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, and did not know her (have sex with her) till she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name Jesus”(Matthew 1:24-25)

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#194153 Nov 1, 2013
@ Stefano Colonna
Malachias 1:10-11
hosts.[10] Who is there among you, that will shut the doors, and will kindle the fire on my altar gratis? I have no pleasure in you, saith the Lord of hosts: and I will not receive a gift of your hand.

[11] For from the rising of the sun even to the going down, my name is great among the Gentiles, and in every place there is sacrifice, and there is offered to my name a clean oblation: for my name is great among the Gentiles, saith the Lord of hosts.

[12] And you have profaned it in that you say: The table of the Lord is defiled: and that which is laid thereupon is contemptible with the fire that devoureth it.[13] And you have said: Behold of our labour, and you puffed it away, saith the Lord of hosts, and you brought in of rapine the lame, and the sick, and brought in an offering: shall I accept it at your hands, saith the Lord?[14] Cursed is the deceitful man that hath in his flock a male, and making a vow offereth in sacrifice that which is feeble to the Lord: for I am a great King, saith the Lord of hosts, and my name is dreadful among the Gentiles.

[11] A clean oblation: Viz., the precious body and blood of Christ in the eucharistic sacrifice.

[13] Behold of our labour: You pretended labour and weariness, when you brought your offering; and so made it of no value, by offering it with an evil mind. Moreover, what you offered was both defective in itself, and gotten by rapine and extortion.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194154 Nov 1, 2013
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>so yes there is, something you all can do, that you all so far refuse to do. Believe in G-D, and Worship G-D here in Only TheTorah is in TheHappening. change your attitude, against G-D here in TheTorah.
I do believe in God and worship God. So what else do I have to do? Are you saying that anybody who questions YOUR claims automatically does not believe in God and cannot believe in God? Is that the key part that is missing?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194155 Nov 1, 2013
HughBe--- Is your Jesus found only in the Gospels?
HughBe--- YOU spoke of Jesus of the Gospels and I spoke of MY Jesus of the scriptures. Now as far as I am concerned the concept of scriptures is not CRYPTIC.

I'm guessing that the Quran is considered a legitimate book. I don't know how a Christian can claim that a book that denies Jesus' crucifixion is a legitmate, true book and consider it to be part of the scriptures. That would mean that it's claim that Jesus was not crucified is true.

Seeker---Now, he also CLEARLY said that he would NEVER convert to Islam

HughBe--- I am now asking you, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, to PROVE your FALSE assertion above.

Alex---Wow..for one moment the "lie- Seeker" got me there, dear HughBe!
I have gone back and checked up. This is what you said. Correct me if I am wrong:
QUOTES:
Seeker-- Have you ever considered converting?
HughBe--- To Judaism, Islam or Hinduism? The answer is NO for all 3.

Seeker--
That was a capital NO not just a regular one. That means you are giving a very strong NO, and most would interpret that to mean that not only have you NEVER considered converting to Islam, with a strong NO like that, it means you never would.

HughBe---The how on earth can you claim that the messenger of Allah went against the Quran?
Can't you see a tiny problem there?
There are many writers and many books like the Gospel writers who NEVER met Jesus.
Do you get the hint?

This is where I DID start to get the hint. And more hints to come.

HughBe---Greetings to my brothers and fellow Muslims meaning those who submit to God. Let US not deny the wrongs committed by those amongst US who call themselves Muslims.
As Muslims WE shall NEVER use wrong done against US to justify doing wrong.

I don't know why a Christian would ever refer to himself as a fellow Muslim

HughBe--- As I understand my own words above I NEVER spoke about the correctness of Islam or for that matter any other religion. On the matter of correctness there are a lot of WRONGS in Christianity. Let me illustrate, there are an overabundance of FALSE doctrines, LIES and downright exploitation of people and here I am thinking about the SUCKING out of the disciples money.

So you never spoke about the incorrectness or correctness of Islam or any other religion, and then you immediately turn around and speak of the incorrectness of Christinity.

HughBe -- I have an unwavering conviction that Jesus, the Christ, was killed because of envy, jealousy and bad mind but such were the necessary conditions for the fulfillment of Isaiah 53.

Seeker--So Jesus was not lifted up to God before his crucifixion and someone else was crucified instead of him as the Quran states?

HughBe--- I see 2 parts to your question. I have not addressed the first part and such a thing has never entered my mind. Explain Jesus being lifted up before His crucifixion.

Seeker--- And if not, how do you feel about the Quran's claim that he was?

HughBe--- I believe that my position is clear. How do you feel about Judaism's hostility to Jesus.

Seems like a complete refusal to comment about the Quran's claim about Jesus' crucifixion, which is the most important aspect of Christianity. Instead, the focus gets shifted to Judaism. Seems like Islam really gets a lot of protection and Judaism, and even Christianity gets a lot of criticism.

HughBe---I can relate to Seeker in some ways.
The more I resisted Islam the greater the attraction became, so I was a bit like Seeker.......going completely Anti until I submitted the Will of my creator in peace and humility.

I would think that anybody would take that as a statement of Islam being a true religion. At first Islam was resisted, then it was accepted and submitted to. So if Islam is a true religion, then how does a Christian reconcile the fact that Islam clearly denied Jesus' crucifixion?

Don't worry, I know you are not going to talk about that. Only Judaism, and even Christianity, may be criticized.
Truth Seeker

New Delhi, India

#194156 Nov 1, 2013
Dear Mr. Hammad,

Telling some others bad, will not make Your Quran a pieceful book. It is true that Quran is extremely hostile towards non-muslims especially towards the end (Chronologically and not traditionally based on revelation). The proper wasy of really understanding Quran in in it's chronological order, revelation by revelation and also along with the relevant portions of Shira(Prophet's Biography). Please do that yourself first and I am sure you will know the truth about Quran.

You will find, as Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) and muslims became more in noumber and more powerful, Quran and "Allah" also became more and more hostile towards the non-muslims. If the "Allah" of Quoran is the real Almighty God, I could not find any explanation for displaying this kind of human emotion in him. It seems more likely that these words were not actually by Almighty, but by Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) himself as only a human can feel more secure as he becomes more and more powerful and not all powerful god. Just think about it rationally.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194157 Nov 1, 2013
HugeBe, forget about that long recap post that I posted and if I could remove it, I would. Let me keep things simple and explain my confusion and you can clear it up for me. Sound reasonable?

How can I or others reconcile the following "seemingly" contradictory statements that you have made?

"I am called a Christian"

"I am a Wayite"

"I am a Christian"

"I have an unwavering conviction that Jesus, the Christ, was killed because of envy, jealousy and bad mind but such were the necessary conditions for the fulfillment of Isaiah 53."

"I NEVER spoke about the correctness of Islam or for that matter any other religion. On the matter of correctness there are a lot of WRONGS in Christianity."

"The more I resisted Islam the greater the attraction became, so I was a bit like Seeker.......going completely Anti until I submitted the Will of my creator in peace and humility."

"Greetings to MY brothers and FELLOW Muslims meaning those who submit to God. Let US not deny the wrongs committed by those amongst US who call themselves Muslims. As Muslims WE shall NEVER use wrong done against US to justify doing wrong."

So to help clear up my confusion:

What is a Wayite?

How does a Christian refer to Muslims as his FELLOW Muslims?

How does a Christian speak about Islam becoming more attractive until he finally submitted to that attraction?

How is a Christian attracted to a religion that denies that Jesus was crucified?

I don't understand how this is possible and I cannot reconcile these seemingly contradictory statements. So if you could just offer some explanations to clear up my confusion, I will drop the issue. Thank you.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194158 Nov 1, 2013
Truth Seeker wrote:
Dear Mr. Hammad,
You will find, as Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) and muslims became more in noumber and more powerful, Quran and "Allah" also became more and more hostile towards the non-muslims.
That is an interesting point. When Muhammad was in a disadvantaged position and had no army, it was "no compulsion in religion", but when he later had a big army, that idea seems to have been abrogated by verses in Sura 9, which was one of the later suras.
Truth Seeker wrote:
If the "Allah" of Quoran is the real Almighty God, I could not find any explanation for displaying this kind of human emotion in him. It seems more likely that these words were not actually by Almighty, but by Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) himself as only a human can feel more secure as he becomes more and more powerful and not all powerful god. Just think about it rationally.
It seems that way to me as well. If God had such hostility towards non Muslims, then why didn't he just say so from the beginning rather than saying no compulsion in religion, or to you your religion and to me mine? But as Muhammad's army grew, THEN the statements became more hostile. So why does that change seem to happen as Muhammad's army grew?

Another odd thing is that Allah has Muslims facing Jerusalem to pray, when Muhammad was hoping the Jews would follow him. But after it became apparent that they would reject him, THEN the prayer direction changes to Mecca. Why wouldn't Allah just clear that up right in the beginning of the Quran if Jerusalem was and had always been the wrong prayer direction?

This touches on the fact that the Quran was not just revealed right up front in a matter of months, but instead it took 23 years to reveal it. Is it possible that it was revealed that way because it was Muhammad adding a new Sura each time his circumstances changed, that would give him the authority to do what he wanted about his circumstances? And that he could not know of what his circumstances would turn out to be in advance?

Then we have Sura 66. This deals with a personal matter of an oath that Muhammad himself took with his wives. Sura 66 gives Muhammad permission to dissolve those oaths. Now why would a book that is supposed to be a guidance for all of mankind for all times, be dealing with specific matters of Muhammad, and just so happen to allow him to do what he wanted about a specific personal matter of his?

Anybody with any reasoning abilities would start to see a clear pattern going on when you start to put the pieces together. Maybe each piece "might" be able to be answered on their own, and I say "might", but when one steps back and starts to put things together, how do they ALL get explained and how is someone not supposed to see the clear pattern?
OneWhoCaresDeepl y

Oakland, CA

#194159 Nov 1, 2013
The religion of Islam practices Monolatry. This is the belief in a multiplicity of gods with one main god.

This is evidenced for example where Muhammond made reference to the goddess al-‘Uzz&#257;.

The word Allah actually just means god. I use the lower case because the word "god" in this sense denotes one of many gods.

But this Monolatry contradicts the GOD of Abraham as it states in the Torah:

"Hear oh Israel, the LORD our GOD, the LORD is ONE"

The GOD of Abraham is omnipresent and is One. This was held to be true even before Muhammond was born and it still holds true to this day.

Allah on the other hand is simply a variation of a primitive patriarchal tribal god created by a warrior for warriors that competes on the field of war against the warriors of other gods.

This contradicts the claim of Islam that it supports the prophets.

It does the precise opposite. It contradicts them!

This concept of a god, worshiped as "Allah" is why Islam is so barbaric.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194160 Nov 1, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you when you say no one fits the prophecy, and that no body met what Isaiah said; therefore Yeshua is not a valid option.
But actually, if Jesus returned to rule the world, as he promised, then he WOULD be a fulfillment of the prophecy, if we say that there is nothing conclusive in the prophecy as to when and how this was to be fulfilled. So it seems to me, that we have one of three choices.

1) The prophecy itself is wrong, and everything else Isaiah said is called into question, so there's no need to even talk about anything that Isiah says. And yet we are.

2) The prophecy could possibly finally be fulfilled by a Messiah that has yet to come

3) The prophecy will be finalized and completed when Jesus returns to rule the world.

Now, I would gather that you would select number one. But why even bother to even talk about Isaiah or anything he said if it is all bogus anyway? Why even suggest the possibility that he was talking about something that did happen by suggesting that he could have been talking about the King's son?

But we could both agree that this prophecy certainly was not fulfilled in Isaiah's time, so that possibility is a non starter. So it is either bogus, or Jesus' return would be the most likely possibility of it being fulfilled at this point.
truth

Melbourne, Australia

#194161 Nov 1, 2013
who is thrsty over righteousness soul..is god want thaty

evilllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllll
satanic evil killers

pro-life or pro-death
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194162 Nov 1, 2013
OneWhoCaresDeeply wrote:
The religion of Islam practices Monolatry. This is the belief in a multiplicity of gods with one main god.
Where is that idea found in the Quran?
OneWhoCaresDeeply wrote:
This is evidenced for example where Muhammond made reference to the goddess al-‘Uzz&#257;.
Can you quote the verse including the surrounding verses for proper context?
OneWhoCaresDeepl y

Oakland, CA

#194163 Nov 1, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That idea is just one of many examples that reveals the primitive cosmology of Islam but here is a website that might be helpful to you if you wish to examine the religion from the outside:

http://commonright.tumblr.com/post/3120124483...
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#194164 Nov 1, 2013
OneWhoCaresDeeply wrote:
<quoted text>
That idea is just one of many examples that reveals the primitive cosmology of Islam but here is a website that might be helpful to you if you wish to examine the religion from the outside:
http://commonright.tumblr.com/post/3120124483...
I already am examining the religion from the outside. I am not a Muslim at all and if you read other posts of mine, that will become abundantly clear. I only asked the question because I am fair about things, and I believe in accuracy first and foremost. So even if a statement is a negative claim about Islam, if I do not think it is accurate, I question it. Your link has some points, but I still wouldn't go as far as saying that the Quran suggests multiple gods. But maybe that can be discussed further. I never considered the angles the link brings up and was never even aware of them.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#194165 Nov 1, 2013
HughBe wrote:
I am a Wayite.
Greetings, dear HughBe

Read the exchanges and find it surprising that no one could guess what Wayite meant.

For example, the true followers of Jesus followed the way that he showed. They never followed what the Church fathers taught four hundred plus years later.

It simply means a person, who follows the true way to God Almighty. Am I right on this?

Have been extremely busy. Will try to be back soon.
ibn

Latham, NY

#194166 Nov 1, 2013
may you all find the path to Islam
bmz

Location hidden

#194167 Nov 1, 2013
OneWhoCaresDeeply wrote:
The word Allah actually just means god. I use the lower case because the word "god" in this sense denotes one of many gods.
But this Monolatry contradicts the GOD of Abraham as it states in the Torah:
"Hear oh Israel, the LORD our GOD, the LORD is ONE"
The GOD of Abraham is omnipresent and is One. This was held to be true even before Muhammond was born and it still holds true to this day.
Allah on the other hand is simply a variation of a primitive patriarchal tribal god created by a warrior for warriors that competes on the field of war against the warriors of other gods.
This contradicts the claim of Islam that it supports the prophets.
It does the precise opposite. It contradicts them!
This concept of a god, worshiped as "Allah" is why Islam is so barbaric.
There are no capital letters in Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic.

The English word god or God does not really fit in any scripture.

Even in Hebrew, the word LORD is simply lord. LORD is used in English to differentiate from other lords.

For example, "The Lord said to my Lord", puts both at same level. Those well-grounded in Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic would easily differentiate and read it as "The LORD said to my lord.", not "The LORD said to my Lord".

The verses that you could not comprehend, are there in Surah 53 Al-Najam. If you read and try to understand, it is ridiculing those, who ascribed divinity to Lat, Manat and Uzzah and called them daughters of God.

Ridiculing the pagans that they want males (sons) for themselves and assign females to God. The verses do not say that Allah says that Allah has three daughters.

Just read the whole Surah and you should be able to understand.

It is the modern world of yours that is truly barbaric in nature, not Islam. Christianity has the darkest and the filthiest history in the world. This is a fact, which even the Church and Christians cannot deny.
bmz

Location hidden

#194168 Nov 1, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Good question.

The absurd idea comes from not reading and understanding Surah 53.

Good night
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#194169 Nov 1, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings, dear HughBe
Read the exchanges and find it surprising that no one could guess what Wayite meant.
For example, the true followers of Jesus followed the way that he showed. They never followed what the Church fathers taught four hundred plus years later.
It simply means a person, who follows the true way to God Almighty. Am I right on this?
Have been extremely busy. Will try to be back soon.
Hi BMZ, you are perfectly correct in your understanding of my coined word Wayite. In addition, the use of the word Wayite does not preclude the use of the commonly used word Christian.

I shall illustrate the principle NOT for your benefit but for the benefit of others like the Seeker of Darkness. I have 3 names and they all refer to the same person. Calling me Hugh does not prevent anyone from calling me Mr. Be and there would be no contradiction.

It is clear to me that a simpleton like Seeker is ignorant of the fact that Christians were not always called Christians. It is my hope that even he knows that those who were once called Israelites are now called Jews and even Israelis.

Blessings, BMZ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
America is not a Democracy 1 hr Name 2
Jews use pornography “to destroy gentile morals” 1 hr Name 6
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 5 hr Faith 521,955
Jerusalem is not the capital of Israel 6 hr Rebecca 59
JERUSALEM==>>BELONGS TO lSRAEL! NOT to MUSLIM S... 7 hr MOONies r Afraid ... 9
JM: Anti-american sentiments SOARING in Europe (Jun '14) 8 hr J_a_n 141
The Bible has millions of errors & contradictio... (Jun '17) 18 hr J_a_n 45
More from around the web