Who Is Allah?

Who Is Allah?

There are 252783 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

JOEL

Mumbai, India

#175368 May 8, 2013
typo - Are emotions the same AS mind? LOL.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175369 May 8, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>God established a covenant of life thru Moses for the children of Israel and the whole world.
Show me where it said the whole world. I remember it being for the "chosen people" only. OY!! I must be mashugana. I drank too much orange jews this morning and had too many he brews last night.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175370 May 8, 2013
Looks like everybody likes to lie on all sides.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#175371 May 8, 2013
Going out to meet friends at the Under the Over. Classy place to chill. Bye.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175372 May 8, 2013
And lets not forget to mention all of those nasty verses about what to do against non Jews. And it's funny, that Jews claim that if someone does miracles, it must come from Satan. Hmmmm....gee...I seem to remember Moses doing miracles as well. Did they come from satan also? Talk about stubborn hypocrisy.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175373 May 8, 2013
susanblange wrote:
God established a covenant of life thru Moses for the children of Israel and the whole world.

The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,[e]”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another,‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

Jesus brought no book, people merely retold what happened. The law shall be written on the hearts and minds of men. God will remember their sins no more. i take this to parallel Jesus dying for the sins of others.

If there are additions or corruptions in the New Testament, that doesn't bother me one bit. Jesus didn't write these books, it was people merely retelling what happened, and when people do that about anything, that is bound to happen. But the important part of the message is all there.

Muhammad had no ideas how bad his story was when he claimed that Jesus brought the Injeel but it got lost or corrupted. There never was any such thing as a Gospel of Jesus, it was always the Gospel of some Apostle's name. It was merely people putting into writing what happened. If people don't like them, then fine, but it is what it is.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175374 May 8, 2013
then there's the prophecy of the Messiah riding through the east gate on a donkey. That's what Jesus did. now, Jews can say that he merely did that to make it look like he was fulfilling the prophecy, but at least people did ride on donkeys back then. If this prophecy gets filled in the future like Jews are waiting for, wouldn't it look even more suspicious if someone rides on a donkey when people don't really ride donkeys anymore? So how is it going to look less suspicious if someone does this the 21st century than it did when someone did this in the 1st century?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#175375 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, Babbeo, get your tiny brain busy re-solving this grade 7 question that you got wrong the last time you attempted it.
A dealer says that for every 3 empty wrappers returned, he'd hand out 1 sweet.
Each sweet costs $ 1.
With $ 15, how many sweets can one buy?
Give the detailed working.
(smiles)
Answer= 21

$15 gives 15 sweets
15 sweets give 15 wrappers / 3= 5 sweets
5 sweets give 5 wrappers/3= 1 sweet
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#175376 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is correct, HughBe. Good point.
HughBe--I take it that others have the SAME right to strike Israel as a deterrent to a clear threat.

BMZ---Yes, that is correct, HughBe. Good point.

HughBe--- Thanks, BMZ. My point is that fair play and JUSTICE demands it to be so.

I am confident that those so affected will claim that they STRIKE as a deterrent to Israel.

Within the past year, Israel was threatening to bomb Iraq because of it nuclear facilities which Iraq has declared it is for peaceful purposes or energy needs.

In my mind Israel was lucky not to have been BOMBED by Iraq because of a CLEAR and STATED THREAT to its national security. Based on the argument of the poster Iraq could have used the argument of DETERRENCE and self-defence.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175377 May 8, 2013
The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant

Jesus declared a new covenant

with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.

Jesus came to them first and foremost

32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,

Jesus' covenant is not like that

because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,[e]”

Jesus spoke of the bride

declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.

Jesus brought no book. He really had only one main commandment, do to others as you would have them do to you. That's a perfect law from a truly wise person. it's not Jesus' fault that people are so selfish that they can't keep this one simple command

I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

Jesus spoke of his sheep.

34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,

Jesus said do not call anyone Rabbi anymore, for he alone is their Rabbi

or say to one another,‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,

Philip said,“Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered:“Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say,‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

Jesus dies for people's sins.

Whether Jesus is legit or not, one thing is for certain. He was definitely trying to fulfill this prophecy. No question about that.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175378 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, Babbeo, get your tiny brain busy re-solving this grade 7 question that you got wrong the last time you attempted it.
A dealer says that for every 3 empty wrappers returned, he'd hand out 1 sweet.
Each sweet costs $ 1.
With $ 15, how many sweets can one buy?
Give the detailed working.
(smiles)

19?
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175379 May 8, 2013
Wait, whoops, it's 20? Forgot about the last free sweet. Nice puzzle.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175380 May 8, 2013
20 if the question is how many sweets can he get. 15 would be the answer if we take the question literally as to how many sweets can he BUY.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#175381 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is love, why are you on here 24/7 promoting hate?
LOL!!! Good one.

But then again, what is the definition for love? Nobody really knows. There are all sorts of definitions for it, and they seem to be whatever someone wants or needs it to be at any given time. What people think is love and sing all sorts of songs about, is actually possession of someone else. MY girlfriend, MY boyfriend, MY lover. People just fool themselves.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#175382 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--I take it that others have the SAME right to strike Israel as a deterrent to a clear threat.

HughBe--- Thanks, BMZ. My point is that fair play and JUSTICE demands it to be so.

I am confident that those so affected will claim that they STRIKE as a deterrent to Israel.

Within the past year, Israel was threatening to bomb Iraq because of it nuclear facilities which Iraq has declared it is for peaceful purposes or energy needs.

In my mind Israel was lucky not to have been BOMBED by Iraq because of a CLEAR and STATED THREAT to its national security. Based on the argument of the poster Iraq could have used the argument of DETERRENCE and self-defence.
Actually, Iran can also threaten to bomb the reactor at Dimona and other suspected targets but Iran has never done that.

Recently North Korea made very strong statements but it was simply ruled off as a rhetoric. No one dares to interfere in China's backyard.

I don't think Israel will dare attack Iranian nuclear assets. It is Israeli government's rhetoric.

HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#175383 May 8, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Iran can also threaten to bomb the reactor at Dimona and other suspected targets but Iran has never done that.
Recently North Korea made very strong statements but it was simply ruled off as a rhetoric. No one dares to interfere in China's backyard.
I don't think Israel will dare attack Iranian nuclear assets. It is Israeli government's rhetoric.
Noted, BMZ. My point remains, what is good for one is good for all. So if it is good for Israel to SAY or do things because of DETERRENCE or rhetoric then Iraq and ALL others MUST have those SAME rights.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#175384 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If God is love, why are you on here 24/7 promoting hate?
So crucify me is that what you are saying because I showed how God is love?
So now you want to crucify me.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#175385 May 8, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>So crucify me is that what you are saying because I showed how God is love?
So now you want to crucify me.
But I dont have to crucify you. You crucify yourself every time you post one of your rants.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#175386 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Answer= 21

$15 gives 15 sweets

15 sweets give 15 wrappers / 3= 5 sweets

5 sweets give 5 wrappers/3= 1 sweet
Incorrect answer.

The last time you attempted this question that I'd posted months ago, you came up with 20 sweets as the answer. This, too, is wrong. I'd provided the detailed solution then.

So, once again, here goes.

The correct answer is worked out as follows:

QUESTION:

A dealer said he’d gift 1 sweet in exchange for 3 empty sweet wrappers provided the sweets were purchased from his shop. One sweet costs $ 1. If you have $ 15 with you, how many sweets can you get, in all?

SOLUTION:

Total amount available =$ 15

Cost price of 1 sweet =$ 1

Condition: 1 sweet in exchange for 3 empty sweet wrappers.

Now, with $ 15, you can outright buy 15 sweets @$ 1 per sweet.

With the 15 empty sweet wrappers, you can get in return 15/3 = 5 sweets.

Total sweets: 15 + 5 = 20 sweets.

Then, you proceed to eat the 5 extra sweets and get 5 empty sweet wrappers.

From these 5 empty sweet wrappers, you retain 2 empty sweet wrappers and hand over 3 empty sweet wrappers to the dealer and get 1 sweet in return.

Note, you now have 2 empty wrappers (5 – 3 = 2) plus 1 sweet given to you on returning 3 empty sweet wrappers.

Total sweets till now = 20 + 1 = 21

So, next, you proceed to eat the sweet and add its empty wrapper to the other 2 empty sweet wrappers that you'd previously retained to get a total of 3 empty sweet wrappers which you then hand over to the dealer for an extra sweet.

The dealer gives you an additional (1 sweet) in exchange for the 3 empty sweet wrappers.

Final total of sweets = 20 + 1 + 1 = 22.

Correct answer = 22 sweets.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#175387 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Iraq? It should be Iran.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank you for calling me A FRIEND, Isreality. (Dec '11) 23 min AussieBobby 240
Achievements Of Science Vs Islam 25 min Muslim answer 2
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 34 min Hope 489,367
Where is Darth Yoda gone? 46 min Ismail 6
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 1 hr ImFree2Choose 580
Elizabetta? 2 hr The Prophet MO Sm... 1
New Poster using many Alias Monikers.. BEWARE. 2 hr The Prophet MO Sm... 6
UK doors will close to Islam 2 hr The Prophet MO Sm... 53
News Oklahoma Lawmaker Shares Article Arguing Islam ... 4 hr Anymay 115
More from around the web