Who Is Allah?

There are 219934 comments on the The Brussels Journal story from Aug 24, 2007, titled Who Is Allah?. In it, The Brussels Journal reports that:

“Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? [...] What does God care what we call him?”

From the desk of Soeren Kern on Fri, 2007-08-24 11:56 Europeans love to mock the salience of religion in American society. via The Brussels Journal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Brussels Journal.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#163833 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Buford can quote verses, which are easily understood by all but he is always unable to comprehend. That is the problem with him. We are trying our level best to educate him.
He can easily understand the term 'seven seas' but finds it extremely difficult to understand what seven heavens mean.
We will fix that too.
And weve got a psychologist on board to fix the damage.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#163834 Feb 16, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
This world is full of seas, so the terms 7 seas make much sense.
In other hand, no Muslim here has ever explained what 7 heavens and 7 earths means.
One must have. grin

The thing is that those seas are however connected in one worldspanning ocean.
Ill bet its the same with those heavens and earths.

Have some more reading to do. Whats the estimate for an answer==questionmark lol
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163835 Feb 16, 2013
Shear power wrote:
<quoted text>
can you prove a single verse in the quran to be wrong or illogical?
Yes, it says Abraham offered ishmael instead of Isaac. Major fail!

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#163836 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut that crap out, please. I have already demolished this Word Of God. Mark, Luke, Matthew, Paul, Peter, James and the whole bunch died with out hearing about this ridiculous Word of God.
Read my post again and please prepare a proper rebuttal, if you can and I know you cannot.
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/islam/TT8...
The 'Word of God', according to John, stands DismisseD!
Your brain is to small to accept the truth.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#163837 Feb 16, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
This world is full of seas, so the terms 7 seas make much sense.
In other hand, no Muslim here has ever explained what 7 heavens and 7 earths means.
I knew some one will come and put forward a silly argument.

"I have travelled the seven seas." What does that mean to you?

There are a few oceans and plenty of seas in the world. Which seven seas were on your mind?

In ancient languages, seven meant many.

Have you ever asked a Christian about this? Today, I, a Muslim, will make you understand by giving this extract:

"21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked,Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?

22 Jesus answered,I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times "

What did Jesus mean by that? Up to seventy-seven times? Is that what you think? Does it mean that you keep a count of the number of times you forgave your brother? Does it also mean that on the 78th time, you don't forgive?

Seven, seventy and seven hundred in Semitic languages, means many.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#163838 Feb 16, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Although this is true, but that's the way men called and divided the seas.

I want to see the Muslims came up with an exhaustive answer about the 7 earths and 7 heavens.

If you will answer me that the same way men called and divided the seas, Muslims did with earths and heavens then I have to suggest you to read the Quran.

Meantime I wait for a Muslim to give the answer.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163839 Feb 16, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
When i make a statement like that i at least include some verses and look up if they are weak or strong fiqh...but you sound like a parrot.
No need to post verses for a reading of the koran would prove my contention. allah always bowed his will to the will of mohammad.

Why does allah have to decide with mohammad on a matter? Can't allah make a decision on his own?:

FROM THE QURAN - 33:36
"It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error."

Did allah sit in consoltation with mohammad when making a decision? Is mohammad still advising allah?

allah never talked to mohammad, only a spirit did, so how did allah and mohammad make a decision together or was mohammad allow to make his own dicisions and impose them on the people? The quran is illogical, makes no sense.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#163840 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Seven, seventy and seven hundred in Semitic languages, means many.
Never heard that in semetic language seven, seven hundred means many.

Also since when you're an expert in semetic language when barely know arabic, and out of this world there are many semitic languages, not just arabic or hebrew.

Said this, indicate me what are these "many" heavens?
bmz

Singapore

#163841 Feb 16, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it says Abraham offered ishmael instead of Isaac. Major fail!
Qur'aan does not say that it was Ishmael. It does not name the kid.

We say that because there was no sign of Issac for years, when Ishmael was there and Ishmael was the first-born of Abraham.

So, what is so great about Issac and where does Jesus fit in between Jacob and Esau?

Issac's mother was the Woman of Promise, according to Christian terms. Right?
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163842 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Qur'aan does not say that it was Ishmael. It does not name the kid.
We say that because there was no sign of Issac for years, when Ishmael was there and Ishmael was the first-born of Abraham.
So, what is so great about Issac and where does Jesus fit in between Jacob and Esau?
Issac's mother was the Woman of Promise, according to Christian terms. Right?
So muslims just make up the claim the kid was ishmael and not Isaac. So which is it?

Location hidden

#163843 Feb 16, 2013
Alex123 aka WM wrote:
<quoted text>
The Holy Quran clarifies superstitions and moon worship beautifully....
002:189
Moon....
They ask thee concerning the New Moons. Say: They are but signs to mark fixed periods of time in (the affairs of) men, and for Pilgrimage.
(Just manage with it to keep time until The Patek Caliber 89 or 1942 Rolex Chronograph or Rolex GMT ICE or even Rolex Oyster Perpetual Day Dater arrives!)
Superstitions....
It is no virtue if ye enter your houses from the back:
(as do the idolaters at certain seasons), but the righteous man is he who wardeth off (evil). Enter houses through the proper doors: and observe your duty to Allah, that ye may be successful.
Those verses confirm Muslims were worshiping the moon god Allah.
The advice was given by Muhammad not from God
It was not a revelation, it was common sense.
There is a parallel between those that worship the true God and a false god.
Much of the word usage is the same in worship, except they are different gods.

Allah in the Quran reveals himself differently then the God of the Bible.

That is why the Jews and Christians rejected Muhammad, they knew the difference between Muhammad's moon god and the God of Abraham, and Moses.
bmz

Singapore

#163844 Feb 16, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to post verses for a reading of the koran would prove my contention. allah always bowed his will to the will of mohammad.
Why does allah have to decide with mohammad on a matter? Can't allah make a decision on his own?:
"It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger has certainly strayed into clear error."
Did allah sit in consoltation with mohammad when making a decision? Is mohammad still advising allah?
allah never talked to mohammad, only a spirit did, so how did allah and mohammad make a decision together or was mohammad allow to make his own dicisions and impose them on the people? The quran is illogical, makes no sense.
Actually, the Church should send us some peers, so that we can have some good exchanges.

33:36 along with other verses, goes wayyyyyyyy above the head of Clueless Christians.

People used to ask the prophet questions. many used to ask extremely silly and absurd questions like the stupid disciples of Jesus asked him.

When they did, Jesus gave the reply in figuratives and parables, which went metres high above their heads and they did not understand.

Those, who put questions to him, were told to ask questions when he was receiving revelations. So, the answer was given through revelation and since they were given via revelations, they were told to listen, consider the matter settled and follow.

This was done to discourage silly and absurd questions and arguments, which the people asked Moses and Jesus and annoyed them.

Now, don't ask me any silly question. Consider this matter settled.

Location hidden

#163845 Feb 16, 2013
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
One must have. grin
Ill bet its the same with those heavens and earths.
Have some more reading to do. Whats the estimate for an answer==questionmark lol
In Medieval Arabian usage and literature

The Arabs and their near neighbours considered the Seven Seas &#1576;&#1581;&#15 75;&#1585; &#1575;&#1604;&#15 93;&#1575;&#1604;& #1605; &#1548; &#1587;&#1576;&#15 93;&#1577; &#1575;&#1604;&#15 76;&#1581;&#1575;& #1585; to be the seas that they encountered in their voyages to The East. They were trading routes in ancient times and since the time of the Prophet Mohammed, they are the places where Islam spread and is widely practised.
the Persian Gulf The Sea of Fars (or Pars)
the Gulf of Khambhat The Sea of Larwi (Gujarat, India)
the Bay of Bengal The Sea of Harkand
the Strait of Malacca The Sea of Kalah (Between Sumatra and Malaya)
the Singapore Strait The Sea of Salahit
the Gulf of Thailand The Sea of Kardanj
the South China Sea The Sea of Sanji

Their "Arabian seven seas" &#1576;&#1581;&#15 75;&#1585; &#1575;&#1604;&#15 93;&#1575;&#1604;& #1605; &#1548; &#1587;&#1576;&#15 93;&#1577; &#1575;&#1604;&#15 76;&#1581;&#1575;& #1585; must also have considered other important seas nearby which were navigated by Arabian and Phoenician seafarers:
the Black Sea
the Caspian Sea
the Arabian Sea
the Indian Ocean
the Red Sea
the Mediterranean Sea
the Adriatic Sea
bmz

Singapore

#163846 Feb 16, 2013
Paul WV wrote:
<quoted text>
So muslims just make up the claim the kid was ishmael and not Isaac. So which is it?
We think, it was Ishmael, not Issac, for the very simple reason that Sarah would not have allowed Abraham at any cost to slaughter the child of 'promise'.

I mean the biblical Sarah could not even allow Ishmael to play with his dear younger brother and was so angry that she kicked his mother and the boy out, just for the love Issac.

So, how could she have allowed Pappy to take him out for slaughter. There is nothing in the Bible to show that Sarah knew about the dream and there is nothing to show that she knew that the boy was going to be beheaded like a goat.

Since we do not hear anything from Sarah, we believe she had no objection to Abraham taking out Ishmael to be slaughtered. She must have been happy that it was Ishamel not her Issac.

Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163847 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the Church should send us some peers, so that we can have some good exchanges.
33:36 along with other verses, goes wayyyyyyyy above the head of Clueless Christians.
People used to ask the prophet questions. many used to ask extremely silly and absurd questions like the stupid disciples of Jesus asked him.
When they did, Jesus gave the reply in figuratives and parables, which went metres high above their heads and they did not understand.
Those, who put questions to him, were told to ask questions when he was receiving revelations. So, the answer was given through revelation and since they were given via revelations, they were told to listen, consider the matter settled and follow.
This was done to discourage silly and absurd questions and arguments, which the people asked Moses and Jesus and annoyed them.
Does allah sit in consoltation with mohammad when making a decision? Can allah make a decision with out mohammad? As I said before allah is mohammad's alter egod.

bmz

Singapore

#163848 Feb 16, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
Those verses confirm Muslims were worshiping the moon god Allah.
The advice was given by Muhammad not from God
It was not a revelation, it was common sense.
There is a parallel between those that worship the true God and a false god.
Much of the word usage is the same in worship, except they are different gods.
Allah in the Quran reveals himself differently then the God of the Bible.
That is why the Jews and Christians rejected Muhammad, they knew the difference between Muhammad's moon god and the God of Abraham, and Moses.
It gives me a great pleasure to confirm that Jesus and his disciples also worshipped the moon god.

They were always looking forward to their moon god, the new moon (the Crescent) every month, in order to observe various Jewish festivals. And every month they would gather at the beach to see their moon god and worshipped it when the sun went down. Jesus always watched his moon god by sitting in a boat.
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163849 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
We think, it was Ishmael, not Issac, for the very simple reason that Sarah would not have allowed Abraham at any cost to slaughter the child of 'promise'.
I mean the biblical Sarah could not even allow Ishmael to play with his dear younger brother and was so angry that she kicked his mother and the boy out, just for the love Issac.
So, how could she have allowed Pappy to take him out for slaughter. There is nothing in the Bible to show that Sarah knew about the dream and there is nothing to show that she knew that the boy was going to be beheaded like a goat.
Since we do not hear anything from Sarah, we believe she had no objection to Abraham taking out Ishmael to be slaughtered. She must have been happy that it was Ishamel not her Issac.
What mumbo jumbo, Abraham did not tell Isaac that he was to be the sacrifice so what make you think he told Sarah.

Did islam just make up stuff as it went along? I should not be suprised at this!
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163850 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying that if God wanted Abraham to sacrifice Sarah that Sarah would have stopped him and Abraham would disobey God? If God wanted Isaac to be sacrificed and Abraham offered ishmael, God would not have been pleased with either Abraham or Sarah. Do you think God was afraid to test the faith of Sarah by asking her to offer her only son Isaac?
Paul WV

Beckley, WV

#163851 Feb 16, 2013
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
How many time is the quran does the phrase "allah and his messenger" appear? Are they joined at the hip?

Is the God of the Hebrew Scriptures joined at the hip like this to any of the prophets?
bmz

Singapore

#163852 Feb 16, 2013
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard that in semetic language seven, seven hundred means many.
Also since when you're an expert in semetic language when barely know arabic, and out of this world there are many semitic languages, not just arabic or hebrew.
Said this, indicate me what are these "many" heavens?
I quoted Matthew to give you an example, clueless fool. What did you understand?

How do you know that I do not know? Don't be silly!

So, what did you understand by "I have travelled the seven seas", when I wrote that? Does it mean that the traveller counted the number of seas?

And then you keep on asking silly questions!

Now what does this seven mean in Psalm 12:6?

" The words of the Lord are pure words; As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times."

Does every silversmith refine silver exactly seven times?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amnesty International Faults Muslim Country Qat... 2 min Vote UKIP 3
News No Muslim can think of profaning holy Prophet (... (Jan '11) 18 min harminder 54,461
Islam will conquer Italy and the entire West 25 min Haunted by police 1,223
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 55 min Faith 441,052
News Sunnis Big Losers in Iraq Elections, PM al-Mali... (May '14) 1 hr Thinking 11
News Father's sad regrets follow son's extremist path 1 hr Thinking 2
Dear Muslim friends 1 hr Thinking 814
Hate Crimes against Muslims must stop. 13 hr smart00ni 135
More from around the web