Straight to the point... Marijuana/Ha...
Yunus Ali

United States

#84 Jan 4, 2009
The determining factor, in my opinion, of whether a substance is Haram of Halal is if it disrupts one's piety. Look at your use of Cannabis, and if it keeps you from Salat or something like that then you should consider it haram. If not, halal.
Emir Cihan ShpOngLE

Pittsburgh, PA

#85 Feb 16, 2009
I smoke dope and practice sufism..no problem with that

you are just the new generation sufi son.. just like

i have been doing this for 5 years.. insallah in next few years. i am hoping to open up a garden in california..merely for sufi practices and hash for the mind.

as salam..

NOthing is lost, but nothing lasts.

get me to people

i have been juggling with this idea..i wanna restore the Mevlana Rumi's sufism.,.
zhussain

Brooklyn, NY

#86 Mar 14, 2009
Cannabis, marijuana, and hashish, i think should be the same level as tobacco. In many islamic countries, it is allowed and not sinful, but it is discouraged, just like tobacco.
MissesMarijuana

United States

#87 Mar 18, 2009
Many good arguments on here. Marijuana as an intoxicant, I think, should be judged on its potency. There is weed out there that barely does anything, and then there's the stuff that you definately cannot do normal activities on. Either way, it changes your state of mind to some extent (because that's kind of the goal). Modern day pharmaceuticals have been proven to do more harm. I found that when I started smoking weed again, I felt detached from God, particularly because of the notion of what I was doing was considered wrong. Though, there is ambiguity in it all, becuase marijuana specifically is not mentioned, and because of the flexible and subjective definitions of whether it is an intoxicant or not. It could have been my conscience, or it could have been God telling me that it was wrong, as I was missing prayers and feeling less focused when I did pray. Oh yeah, and bad things were happening to me, this I usually attribute to my actions. So anyways, I love weed but have to live without it becuase my parents found out and blackmailed me ie made me swear on the Quran that I wouldn't do it again (otherwise they wouldn't let me out of the house). I don't know if the promise is valid, God knows it wasn't in my heart. But I am not going to do it becuase a promise is a promise and I don;t want to go to hell over something like that. What's my point? I loved weed, but, for me anyways, I found myself at a lesser level of spirituality. I feel more focused now, though I am entirely pissed by the blackmail. I am now clean not only out of obligation but for myself, I'll be healthier and more focused in the long run. Plus, we mature out of weed-smoking eventually.
u all give me jokes

Gillingham, UK

#88 Apr 10, 2009
ANYTHING THAT ALTERS THE NORMAL STATE OF MIND IS HARAM END OF. AND IF ALL THE SCHOLARS SAY IT IS HARAM, WE HAVE TO FOLLOW THEM, WE CANNOT USE OUR OWN INTELLECT TO FIGURE WHAT IS HALAL OR HARAM.
EVERYONE IS JUST TRYING TO JUSTIFY FOLLOWING THEIR DESIRES.
SHAYTAN WILL DO ANYTHING TO LEAD MUSLIMS ASTRAY.

“The Defiant Dhimmi”

Since: Apr 08

Scholar of the Obvious

#89 Apr 10, 2009
"WE CANNOT USE OUR OWN INTELLECT"
That is standard Islam.

No one should use there intelligence.

Muslims are no better than lemmings.
Mustafa Malik

Oviedo, FL

#90 Apr 25, 2009
Marijuana is MAKHRU or however you spell it
meaning its shunned upon but not haram
dont listen to all these straight edge older people saying OH DONT HARM UR BODY BEING MUSLIM IS BEING SUPER CLEAN AND SAYING NO TO EVERYTHING
thats why the rest of the world hates us
we need to get off our high horses and actually relate with the people
smoking weed will not get you sent to hell, alcohol probably will
Mustafa Malik

Oviedo, FL

#91 Apr 25, 2009
also if you were to argue that ANYTHING that alters your state of mind is haram then i would argue that 99% of our parents were sinning because I know our parents drink tea/coffee/pepsi like its nothing

caffeine alters your state of mind
i think that the older muslims, the parents need to stop lying to us the youth

only reason why we're lied to is because they dont want us to smoke weed and they don't know much about it anyways so they write weed off as an intoxicant just as bad as alcohol
we should be told the truth that its makhru and not haram and THEN our parents should see if we smoke or not, that is the true test

quit lying to the youth
a muslim brother

Champaign, IL

#92 Apr 30, 2009
u all give me jokes wrote:
ANYTHING THAT ALTERS THE NORMAL STATE OF MIND IS HARAM END OF. AND IF ALL THE SCHOLARS SAY IT IS HARAM, WE HAVE TO FOLLOW THEM, WE CANNOT USE OUR OWN INTELLECT TO FIGURE WHAT IS HALAL OR HARAM.
EVERYONE IS JUST TRYING TO JUSTIFY FOLLOWING THEIR DESIRES.
SHAYTAN WILL DO ANYTHING TO LEAD MUSLIMS ASTRAY.
Quite the opposite. God gave you your intellect for it to be used, not wasted. Imams can point us in the right direction generally, but in the end you have to decide for yourself, because Imams are only people as well with their own beliefs that they stand by (which are also generally influenced by ways of thinking that have been carried for generations, however Islam is all about your own interpretation and new ways of thinking should not be discouraged as long as they are valid, this is WHY there's so much discussion over important topics and discussions in the Muslim world and so many different opinions on them). If you look at all the things the Quran tells you to do and think about the logical effects of them, in almost all cases it is to preserve yourself both spiritually and physically. For example, praying 5 times a day is done for numerous reasons, only one being to forget about the troubles of the physical world (so as to get closer to God while praying). That's why prayer 5 times a day is such a BLESSING to us rather than a CHORE, but most people don't understand this point and merely do it because they are told they must or were born into it and do it out of routine.

With that in mind, physically, there is little to no harm done by marijuana itself (any lung cancer caused etc, is always due to other things being smoked with it, such as the Resin from a bowl or Tobacco from a blunt wrap or even Paper from a joint paper). That's why smoking a vaporizer is the safest and healthiest way of smoking, since you are essentially extracting the THC from the marijuana without the other carcinogens (and cannabinoids). There have been many studies done and, as stated by others previously, they have actually linked marijuana to helping CURE lung cancer rather than being a cause of it (specifically the THC contained in it). These SCIENTIFIC and therefore technically unbiased studies can be found by merely Googling "marijuana scientific studies". There was even a case of one scientist who was unethically commissioned to find harmful effects from marijuana and ended up producing the opposite results he set out to.

The key point here is that Islam is how you yourself interpret it. While many people have interpreted things already for us, and I believe correctly (especially in terms of many other things like gambling) you should ALWAYS apply your own thought to the matter and verify it for yourself.

I consider myself a practicing Muslim and by applying normal rational thought in conjunction with the beliefs I have been taught my entire life, I believe that in MODERATION Marijuana is permissible.
azim

Japan

#93 Jun 14, 2009
hey i cand feel what you saying dude :) i used to toke up and dance, exercise, draw, read, and weed did help me relax. obvioulsy i quit when i became a muslim, but before that i used to toke up because it was better than alcohol, and obviously different. when i was a catholic i used to pray drunk, or even high, i used to even talk about God while been under the influence of any. if you do managae to reach an acceptable fatwa on marijuana, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. [email protected]
Thinkabit

Walnut Creek, CA

#94 Jun 17, 2009
1. marijuana does not kill brain cells
2. marijuana does not cause lung cancer
3. marijuana has never caused anyone to overdose or die
4. marijuana is not physically addicting, only mentally just like video games, food, basically anything if you abuse it over a long period of time.
5. marijuana actually may help prevent cancer mainly breast with its cannabinoids and thc
6. The dilation of blood vessels in your eyes help with glaucoma.
^ long term effects
1. marijuana puts you in a relaxed state of mind
2. it doesn't change you. instead, it makes you more of yourself. "it reveals you to yourself." Behind all the bullshit, behind the government, media, etc., this is really who you are. When you are sober, you don't sit down and look at the important aspects of your life, your family, god, etc. When you smoke ganja, you focus on the minor and major things in life that normally people ignore.
3. it really just helps you have a great time with your friends. Just chillin out, thinking about life, laughing, having a fun time. Wouldn't you rather do that than drink and throw up on your carpet? Marijuana brings you down to earth.
^short term effects
As for the religious portion, I am a practicing muslim. I didn't pray for a while because for a while I didn't see any reason why I should praise God because of all the evils in this world but then I realized:How could we have good without bad? God gave us a choice. He gave us intellect. This life is a test and intellect is what god gave us to figure out what is good/bad. I totally agree with "a muslim brother" We must use our brain to figure out what is good and what is bad. If marijuana does not go against the words of God, then I believe that with my full thought out interpretations that marijuana is permissible(like i said earlier, marijuana makes you more of yourself. An intoxicant=poison that changes you. Weed is not a poison which we see from science and it doesn't change you to the point where you make bad decisions, rather it makes you more of yourself ignoring the material values of life. I totally agree with TM 031 FL as well, marijuana has gotten me even closer to god. My thoughts flow more easily and i can concentrate on my subjects much more.
Unsaid

Chino, CA

#95 Jul 16, 2009
Salaamalaikum.

"Wings" is on point.
IKA

Huddersfield, UK

#96 Jul 19, 2009
It is not permissible. What do you do when you smoke weed?? you chat rubbish, take piss, laugh excessively, listen to music, think about sex, or just cabbage out. Which of these outcomes of a joint are acceptable??? Infact ecstasy another haram substance is less damaging to practising the faith and time wasting.
Sadath

Colombo, Sri Lanka

#97 Aug 4, 2009
TM 031 FL wrote:
As-Salaam-Alaikum Brother and/or Sister,
My name is Faraz, and I currently live in Florida. In my journey towards finding myself one with Allah, and the many differents paths one can take in finding the way, I have came across something that I may need help from someone that may be more expirenced in the fields of the Islamic way. I have been searching for a long time to find what we call is the 'right way'. I feel as if I am going towards the right direction, but now I am sort of at a stop. I am having trouble figuring out if the way I am practicing my ways of life is wrong or sinful. Through my recent years I began to start the usage of
Salaam, All derivatives of the Cannabis Sativa plant is considered Halal in Islam. The quote from the Quran that prohibits "intoxicants" must be carefully analyzed, as the English word "intoxicant" doesn't directly translate from the Arabic word that is used. As a matter of fact Cannabis is not even considered an "intoxicant" in the English taxonomy, its considered as a "Hallucinogen" for the lack of a more suited category.
Islam has its own categorization of what constitutes an "intoxicant". In the Islamic categorization cannabis is considered as a "relaxant" along with Caffeine and Nicotine!
Marijuana doesn't harm your body. As a matter of fact consumed moderately, it has great beneficial properties. The ill of smoking weed stems from "abuse". Taking quantities that are above normal and regularly. In this sense even ordinary food items should be haram as if consumed in great quantity they will also be detrimental to your health! This point illustrates the care that needs to be used when reasoning on quran ayyah, especially if you are using a translation.
Cannabis has been widely used by physicians in the Islamic world! It is an important herb in Sufism, and especially to the Quadirrya tharikka who are predominantly physicians!
Marcus Matter

United States

#98 Aug 4, 2009
Rayn wrote:
Intoxicants ARE haram in Islam. What is an intoxicant?
Anything that can lead to physical and mental damage and (with some substances) dependence and addiction.
The closest example of an intoxicant is alcohol. Alcohol has been proven to cause physical and mental damage- liver problems, brain problems, etc. If you drink enough of it in one setting then you have a chance of DEATH. It's also very addicting.
Compare this with marijuana... Marijuana does not cause physical or mental damage.(Smoking it might cause some lung problems, but not if you use a vaporizer or eat it). In fact, it is used as MEDICINE in many parts of the world. There is NO chance that you will die if you take too much, and it's not addicting.
Therefore, marijuana is NOT an intoxicant.
SALAAM MALEKUM

Hm. If that's true, then coffee is Haram.

It's addictive, it stains your teeth, and it can kill you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Caffein...

Marijuana is not addictive.

According to which US Government authority you want to believe, the lethal dose of marijuana is either about one-third your body weight, or about 1,500 pounds, consumed all at once.

You can kill yourself by consuming ANYTHING in that large of amount, even WATER!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxicati...
scoda

Sri Lanka

#100 Aug 5, 2009
IKA wrote:
It is not permissible. What do you do when you smoke weed?? you chat rubbish, take piss, laugh excessively, listen to music, think about sex, or just cabbage out. Which of these outcomes of a joint are acceptable??? Infact ecstasy another haram substance is less damaging to practicing the faith and time wasting.
-- I agree with u ,I have come across lot of uneducated guys who have taken treatment and rehab and have come out an enjoying a good life. But most of the educated fools just quote 1000 of litreture and try to prove that M;rvana smoking is not harmful and with that they join the cannabis as well .Sufis are 3 kinds ex;Sufy mushric(Saithan),Sufy Kuffar(Evil),and sufi Kamaliya(Enlightend one)--Other than the sufi k;maliya,all the other sufis misuse M;ruvana and end up in Hell.t''fore M'rvana smokers must be able to thik and take bold an courages steps to get them out from this evil habit.Do not become liares to you and deceive yourselves.
Husayn

Vancouver, Canada

#101 Aug 6, 2009
My name is Rasheed first what sufi's of the past were smoking weed give me a break. What is the point of smoking this stuff none of the greatest shaykhs of Islam were doing these things including the the Shaykh of Shaykhs Abdal Qadir Jilani RA none of them so if you want to be like them you need to mortify the nafs the lower self. By the way when you recite the name of Allaah you should get a spiritual high, Junayd al Bagdadi walked on water
by reciting Allaah smoking weed is not their tradition. If you do it for a sickness I understand and would never judge anyone for this, but what is up with the young people doing it when they have their youth health and strength this behavior is not of the Sahaba or their followers young people recite the Quran this is the best high
Husayn

Vancouver, Canada

#102 Aug 6, 2009
Salaam brother tell me where you came up with notion where Jalaluddeen Ar Rumi was smoking weed he was a big wali when people like this recite the name of Allaah they get into a spiritual high, not one of the saints of the past where involved with this non sense you need to grow up this is not the behavior of our Prophet PBH and his Sahaaba and their followers read the biography of the poles and other saints I have never read any of them resorting to these things for medicinal reasons I understand hash for the mind are you kidding me brother you just need Allaah for the mind body heart and spirit
Rizni

Wilmington, DE

#105 Aug 8, 2009
scoda wrote:
<quoted text>-- I agree with u ,I have come across lot of uneducated guys who have taken treatment and rehab and have come out an enjoying a good life. But most of the educated fools just quote 1000 of litreture and try to prove that M;rvana smoking is not harmful and with that they join the cannabis as well .Sufis are 3 kinds ex;Sufy mushric(Saithan),Sufy Kuffar(Evil),and sufi Kamaliya(Enlightend one)--Other than the sufi k;maliya,all the other sufis misuse M;ruvana and end up in Hell.t''fore M'rvana smokers must be able to thik and take bold an courages steps to get them out from this evil habit.Do not become liares to you and deceive yourselves.
At least the educated fools are quoting 1000 literature, to support your information you have not even quoted one literature. Where do you get your information? So as an educated fool let me quote another literature for you -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism

hope after you read this you will become sufi Kamaliya, and get some of the brains.
CannaSufi

Wilmington, DE

#106 Aug 8, 2009
Sufi chemists were the first to invent food infused with cannabis please read -

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1883....

scoda is and IDIOT! Husayn should read this article as well, if he wants to know where Rumi smokes cannabis!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 5 min Ronnie 248,303
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 8 min Aristophanic Comedy 487,372
Tom W Fontaine _ nothing less than an ICON 14 min Native Militiaman 10
There is no GOD, stupid ! 19 min Native Militiaman 42
News London Set To Elect Muslim Mayor With Ties To E... 23 min Native Militiaman 52
EU backs visa-free accession for Turkish citizens 29 min New Muslim 12
Islamic preacher BANS text emojis 2 hr george whyte 1
More from around the web