Child marriage still an issue in Saud...

Child marriage still an issue in Saudi Arabia

Posted in the Islam Forum

Since: Oct 06

Location hidden

#1 Mar 13, 2010
Child marriage still an issue in Saudi Arabia

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...

'Now a spate of new cases has been thrown up for public scrutiny. Last month, a 12-year-old girl, fighting to divorce an 80-year-old man who paid her father $22,000 for permission to marry her, suddenly dropped her divorce request. She failed to appear in court on the day the judge was supposed to issue his decision. One can only guess what happened, but most 12-year-olds would find it difficult to reject adult advice or commands about something like this.

Saudi Arabia is hardly the only state facing this problem. Last year, Turkey made it legal for 12-year-olds to marry, if their parents agree. The Turkish Statistical Institute estimates that one-third of the state's brides are under 18. In Yemen and Bangladesh, even among some sects in Burma, child marriage is commonplace. The victims, in those places and elsewhere: little girls who are forced into wasted, often miserable, lives.

Saudi Arabia has publicly committed to change its law, to protect the children. For the Kingdom, this is hard. But if Saudi Arabia, of all places, can change the law and recognize that little girls have the right to grow up normally, that will be an act heard around the world.'

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#2 Mar 14, 2010
"Saudi Arabia has publicly committed to change its law, to protect the children. For the Kingdom, this is hard. But if Saudi Arabia, of all places, can change the law and recognize that little girls have the right to grow up normally, that will be an act heard around the world."

Blimey, if they do that I will be impressed. Islam can change and make advancements.

Since: Oct 06

Location hidden

#3 Mar 15, 2010
supersonic boom wrote:
"Saudi Arabia has publicly committed to change its law, to protect the children. For the Kingdom, this is hard. But if Saudi Arabia, of all places, can change the law and recognize that little girls have the right to grow up normally, that will be an act heard around the world."
Blimey, if they do that I will be impressed. Islam can change and make advancements.
Could this be too good to be true?

It's been a long time already for them to work this out. Those Saudi 'men' must have a truly warped sense of morals for them to be holding out so long on this issue of children being married to them.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#4 Mar 17, 2010
Trisha wrote:
<quoted text>
Could this be too good to be true?
It's been a long time already for them to work this out. Those Saudi 'men' must have a truly warped sense of morals for them to be holding out so long on this issue of children being married to them.
Put it this way, I won't be holding my breath. ;)
Dinar

Kazan, Russia

#5 Mar 18, 2010
"But if Saudi Arabia, of all places, can change the law and recognize that little girls have the right to grow up normally, that will be an act heard around the world."
correct is not to disallow to marry but to save right of girls and boys to not marry if they do not want.
george whyte

Leeds, UK

#6 Mar 26, 2010
never am i
steve

UK

#7 Mar 26, 2010
Ban on Child Marriage Deemed Un-Islamic

The paedophilic zealots of the Prophet can breathe more easily now. Islam consitently resists modern trends and holds fast to the tradition of marrying little girls. Islamic clergy declared lately that a ban on child marriage is un-Islamic and an endorsement for apostates.

http://www.pi-news.org/2010/03/ban-on-child-m...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 27 min Faith 533,908
News Maryland Muslims brace for life under Trump (Nov '17) 57 min Donald Trump 4
News Why are black people turning to Islam? (Oct '09) 3 hr Khan 52
News CAIR tries to ban professor's speech on 'The Is... (Aug '13) Wed C Kersey 3
The Questions No Christian Wants to Answer (Mar '07) Tue mahasn sawresho 3,252
News Jesus & the Consumption of Pork (May '09) Tue mahasn sawresho 2,380
Islam is the religion of peace (Jan '10) Nov 10 mahasn sawresho 453