Them 'Damned' Catholics

Them 'Damned' Catholics

There are 137 comments on the Free Republic story from Jun 13, 2013, titled Them 'Damned' Catholics. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Throughout the Church’s history, it has warred with Islam. Yet, it has nothing to offer us today. This is the typical answer I get when I discuss Christian history with many Evangelicals ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Maybe

Bruner, MO

#104 Jun 18, 2013
The Catholic Church is nothing more than State Religion conceived by Emperor Constantine not Christ Jesus. If you look at it it is nothing more than a cheap copy of the Roman Empire. Pope (Caesar), Cardinals (Roman Senate), Nuns (Vestal Virgins), Etc, etc...... And lets not forget the selling of worthless indulgences to put money in the Vatican coffers. Oh there is none so blind as those who will not see! Oh and the Rosary a copy of Buddist prayer beads nothing more than ungodly heathen nonsense.
Oh and lets not forget the naming of Saints by the papists when the Bible says all who are in Christ Jesus are saints. And the kissing and worshipping of idol and statutes and calling a pope holy father when Jesus Himself said call no man upon this earth father for One is your Father which is in Heaven!

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#105 Jun 18, 2013
He is Coming Soon wrote:
<quoted text>Do you save yourself? Or does Jesus Christ do it?
There is only one Savior Jesus Christ
Sounds like you don't accept Jesus as your savior/
Sound like your savior is your Church, or some self saved minister or pastor or what ever you are associated with.

Location hidden

#106 Jun 18, 2013
Maybe wrote:
The Catholic Church is nothing more than State Religion conceived by Emperor Constantine not Christ Jesus. If you look at it it is nothing more than a cheap copy of the Roman Empire. Pope (Caesar), Cardinals (Roman Senate), Nuns (Vestal Virgins), Etc, etc...... And lets not forget the selling of worthless indulgences to put money in the Vatican coffers. Oh there is none so blind as those who will not see! Oh and the Rosary a copy of Buddist prayer beads nothing more than ungodly heathen nonsense.
Oh and lets not forget the naming of Saints by the papists when the Bible says all who are in Christ Jesus are saints. And the kissing and worshipping of idol and statutes and calling a pope holy father when Jesus Himself said call no man upon this earth father for One is your Father which is in Heaven!
Maybe you are a moron and don't know it.

Location hidden

#107 Jun 18, 2013
He is Coming Soon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy? By whose standards? Jesus said there is no one good, but God. Don't be fooled by men who dedicate themselves to the service of God. The Pharisees were holy men, too. And who wanted Jesus dead when He pointed out that their works would not justify them with the Lord? By the way, how do you rationalize and justify the wicked lives of many a pope and the murderous Inquisitions?
It sounds to me you are claiming Protestantism with all its baggage and unclean hands of religious wars are the righteous saviors of the world.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#109 Jun 19, 2013
He is Coming Soon wrote:
"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers." For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" - Eph. 4:11-12. Nope, don't see any office of priest. cardinal or pope listed. Hmmmmmm.
So how do you know he's coming soon? And what do you mean by soon?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#110 Jun 19, 2013
Still no pope passages given.

Surly Peter is called pope in the bible, right?

www.roysecitycoc.org
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#111 Jun 19, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
www.roysecitycoc.org
What's in a word or title? I don't see the word "Reverend" in the Bible either and the word Reverend stems from reverence. Leaders are needed for an organization to function. Someone has to be a CEO, but that's just a word or expression as well. The key is to not revere the leader as any better than anyone else. A good CEO will say he is not any better than you are, but that someone has to organize things and therefore lead in order for that business or organization to function. I think it is a mistake for Popes of the past to ask for reverence, but humans make mistakes all of the time. The new Pope Francis seems to get it. Instead of him asking that you kiss his ring, he washes the feet of others. But that said, someone still has to organize and lead if one wants to have an organization. If you think that even having an organization itself is wrong, then that is a different matter that is open for discussion.

Location hidden

#112 Jun 19, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>What's in a word or title? I don't see the word "Reverend" in the Bible either and the word Reverend stems from reverence. Leaders are needed for an organization to function. Someone has to be a CEO, but that's just a word or expression as well. The key is to not revere the leader as any better than anyone else. A good CEO will say he is not any better than you are, but that someone has to organize things and therefore lead in order for that business or organization to function. I think it is a mistake for Popes of the past to ask for reverence, but humans make mistakes all of the time. The new Pope Francis seems to get it. Instead of him asking that you kiss his ring, he washes the feet of others. But that said, someone still has to organize and lead if one wants to have an organization. If you think that even having an organization itself is wrong, then that is a different matter that is open for discussion.
You guys are the ones the use exalting titles.

The new pope said atheist are redeemed. That's about the stupidest thing that has ever come from a pope's mouth.

Proverb 12:1

www.roysecitycoc.org
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#113 Jun 19, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
Reverend is not? Does that word not come from the word reverence?

Location hidden

#114 Jun 19, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>Reverend is not? Does that word not come from the word reverence?
I don't call preachers reverend.

Jesus spoke against religious titles in Matthew 23.

www.roysecitycoc.org
He is Coming Soon

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#115 Jun 19, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
www.roysecitycoc.org
Odd, how Paul forgot to salute Peter, when he wrote his epistle to the Roman Church. And, shouldn't the "first pope of the Roman Catholic Church" have written that letter?
He is Coming Soon

Location hidden

#116 Jun 19, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
So how do you know he's coming soon? And what do you mean by soon?
The 'signs of the times" indicate we are approaching the days of tribulation Jesus, the apostles and prophets spoke of. 7 years after it begins, Jesus Christ will return to set up His kingdom.
He is Coming Soon

Location hidden

#117 Jun 19, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
The new pope said atheist are redeemed. That's about the stupidest thing that has ever come from a pope's mouth.
Proverb 12:1
www.roysecitycoc.org
More like the boldest thing ever said. The RCC is flexing its muscles to see how far she can get with the lost souls of this corrupt planet.
He is Coming Soon

Location hidden

#118 Jun 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>It sounds to me you are claiming Protestantism with all its baggage and unclean hands of religious wars are the righteous saviors of the world.
They had their faults, but pale in comparison to the RCC and its rampant corruption and murderous rampages. I despise mainstream, liberal Protestant churches, also. I do not condone homosexuality, abortion or female ministers.
He is Coming Soon

Location hidden

#119 Jun 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>There is only one Savior Jesus Christ
Sounds like you don't accept Jesus as your savior/
Sound like your savior is your Church, or some self saved minister or pastor or what ever you are associated with.
Sure I accepted Him as my Savior, before I stepped foot into a church: www.scribd.com/doc/31322017 ...
He is Coming Soon

Location hidden

#120 Jun 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>
In Catholic tradition, the foundation for the office of the pope is indeed found primarily in Matthew 16:13-20. Here, Jesus asked the question, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" The Apostles responded, "Some say John the Baptizer, others Elijah, still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." Our Lord then turned to them and point-blank asked them, "And you, who do you say that I am?"
St. Peter, still officially known as Simon, replied, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Our Lord recognized that this answer was grace-motivated: "No mere man has revealed this to you, but My heavenly Father."
Because of this response, our Lord said to St. Peter, "You are 'Rock,' and on this rock I will build My Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." The name change itself from Simon to Peter indicates the Apostle being called to a special role of leadership; recall how Abram's name was changed to Abraham, or Jacob's to Israel, or Saul's to Paul, when each of them was called to assume a special role of leadership among God's people.
The word "rock" also has special significance. On one hand, to be called "rock" was a Semitic expression designating the solid foundation upon which a community would be built. For instance, Abraham was considered "rock" because he was the father of the Jewish people (and we refer to him as our father in faith) and the one with whom the covenant was first made.
On the other hand, no one except God was called specifically "rock," nor was it ever used as a proper name except for God. To give the name "rock" to St. Peter indicates that our Lord entrusted to him a special authority. Some antipapal parties try to play linguistic games with the original Greek Gospel text, where the masculine-gender word "petros," meaning a small, moveable rock, refers to St. Peter while the feminine-gender word "petra," meaning a massive, immoveable rock, refers to the foundation of the Church. However, in the original Aramaic language, which is what Jesus spoke and which is believed to be the original language of St. Matthew's Gospel, the word "Kepha," meaning rock, would be used in both places without gender distinction or difference in meaning. The gender problem arises when translating from Aramaic to Greek and using the proper form to modify the masculine word "Peter" or feminine word "Church."
"The gates of hell" is also an interesting Semitic expression. The heaviest forces were positioned at gates; so this expression captures the greatest warmaking power of a nation. Here this expression refers to the powers opposed to what our Lord is establishing-the Church.(A similar expression is used in reference to our Lord in Acts 2:24: "God freed Him from the bitter pangs of hell, however, and raised Him up again, for it was impossible that death should keep its hold on Him.") Jesus associated St. Peter and his office so closely with Himself that He became a visible force protecting the Church and keeping back the power of hell.
Second, Jesus says, "I will entrust to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven." In the Old Testament, the "number two" person in the Kingdom literally held the keys. In Isaiah 22: 19-22 we find a reference to Eliakim, the master of the palace of King Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:17ff) and keeper of the keys. As a sign of his position, the one who held the keys represented the king, acted with his authority and had to act in accord with the king's mind. Therefore, St. Peter and each of his successors represent our Lord on this earth as His Vicar and lead the faithful flock of the Church to the Kingdom of Heaven.
Petros = Stone
Petra = Rock
"Thou art Peter (a stone) and upon this Petra (rock) I will build my church." No where in Scripture is any man called a rock. Only God is.

Location hidden

#121 Jun 19, 2013
He is Coming Soon wrote:
<quoted text>More like the boldest thing ever said. The RCC is flexing its muscles to see how far she can get with the lost souls of this corrupt planet.
Yes it was bold.

Bold in foolishness.

Lost souls??? Francis said the are redeemed. How could they be lost?

www.roysecitycoc.org

Location hidden

#122 Jun 19, 2013
He is Coming Soon wrote:
<quoted text>They had their faults, but pale in comparison to the RCC and its rampant corruption and murderous rampages. I despise mainstream, liberal Protestant churches, also. I do not condone homosexuality, abortion or female ministers.
"I despise mainstream, liberal Protestant churches, also. I do not condone homosexuality, abortion or female ministers."

Amen!

www.roysecitycoc.org

Location hidden

#123 Jun 19, 2013
HEATH - 72 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't call preachers reverend.
Jesus spoke against religious titles in Matthew 23.
www.roysecitycoc.org
Disciple is a religious title you dumb Christian.
You are as dumb as they come Christian.
Do you smoke pot Christian that your mind is screwed up?
Or are you a Muslim posing as Christian?

Location hidden

#124 Jun 19, 2013
Shamma wrote:
<quoted text>Disciple is a religious title you dumb Christian.
You are as dumb as they come Christian.
Do you smoke pot Christian that your mind is screwed up?
Or are you a Muslim posing as Christian?
God bless you.

www.roysecitycoc.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Turkeyeturns to Islam 4 min Muslim convert 3
Islam not a religion says cardinal 9 min THE UNKNOWN 2
News A few weeks before he died, Malcolm X endured a... 34 min Islam sucks 9
Should Muslim terriosts be given Muslim furnials. 59 min Islam sucks 3
84 year old priest beheaded in France 1 hr Woof 5
Will islam be finished in 10 years? 1 hr ilovedesigirls 212
Rape wave caused by the weather. Not muslims. 1 hr jinxi 4
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 1 hr uyan 490,341
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 3 hr Joel 253,483
More from around the web