In Islam, can a brother have sex with his sister?

Posted in the Islam Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
letsdance

Bristol, UK

#1 Apr 1, 2010
Jake

Dundas, Canada

#2 Apr 1, 2010
letsdance wrote:
I would believe the answer to this in every religion is No. Including Islam.

bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#5 Apr 1, 2010
letsdance wrote:
No. That is forbidden.

But according to the Bible, that is okay.

The biblical Abraham had sex with his sister, Sarah. They were married.
Jake

Dundas, Canada

#6 Apr 1, 2010
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That is forbidden.
But i thought you said Abraham was the first Muslim?

Tisk Tisk. Can't have it both ways.
Leah

Bat Yam, Israel

#7 Apr 1, 2010
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
In the Old Testament, it's never mentioned that Sarah was Abraham's sister. Actually, her parents aren't mentioned at all. How did you get to this conclusion?

bmz

Singapore

#8 Apr 1, 2010
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
But i thought you said Abraham was the first Muslim?
Tisk Tisk. Can't have it both ways.
I never said that Abraham was the first Muslim.

Yes, we can!

I qualified it well by adding the word biblical to his name.

The comment was made on what the Bible says.
Sathnaam Singh

Quispamsis, Canada

#9 Apr 1, 2010
Muslim males are allowed to marry their cousin sisters. I have seen my Muslim school mate marrying his own cousin.
Sathnaam Singh

Quispamsis, Canada

#10 Apr 1, 2010
The holy prophet Mohamed married his own daughter in law. Daughter in laws are equal to daughters.

bmz

Singapore

#11 Apr 1, 2010
Leah wrote:
In the Old Testament, it's never mentioned that Sarah was Abraham's sister. Actually, her parents aren't mentioned at all. How did you get to this conclusion?
Hello, Leah

Here it is:
Genesis 20 (New International Version)

1 Now Abraham moved on from there into the region of the Negev and lived between Kadesh and Shur. For a while he stayed in Gerar, 2 and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, "She is my sister." Then Abimelech king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her.

3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream one night and said to him, "You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman."

4 Now Abimelech had not gone near her, so he said, "Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation?

5 Did he not say to me,'She is my sister,' and didn't she also say,'He is my brother'? I have done this with a clear conscience and clean hands."

6 Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have kept you from sinning against me.

That is why I did not let you touch her. 7 Now return the man's wife, for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you will live. But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all yours will die."

8 Early the next morning Abimelech summoned all his officials, and when he told them all that had happened, they were very much afraid.

9 Then Abimelech called Abraham in and said, "What have you done to us? How have I wronged you that you have brought such great guilt upon me and my kingdom? You have done things to me that should not be done."

10 And Abimelech asked Abraham, "What was your reason for doing this?"

11 Abraham replied, "I said to myself,'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.'

12 Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.

13 And when God had me wander from my father's household, I said to her,'This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother." ' "

14 Then Abimelech brought sheep and cattle and male and female slaves and gave them to Abraham, and he returned Sarah his wife to him. 15 And Abimelech said, "My land is before you; live wherever you like."

16 To Sarah he said, "I am giving your brother a thousand shekels of silver.

This is to cover the offense against you before all who are with you; you are completely vindicated."
Leah,

Please note that Sarah was a very old lady, not a young woman, when this happened.

bmz

Singapore

#12 Apr 1, 2010
Leah wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Leah

This is from Genesis 12, when she was young. Same story line:
Abram in Egypt

10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe.

11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are.

12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say,'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live.

13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you."

14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that she was a very beautiful woman.

15 And when Pharaoh's officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace.

16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels.

17 But the LORD inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai.

18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. "What have you done to me?" he said.

"Why didn't you tell me she was your wife?

19 Why did you say,'She is my sister,' so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!"

20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.

bmz

Singapore

#13 Apr 1, 2010
Sathnaam Singh wrote:
The holy prophet Mohamed married his own daughter in law. Daughter in laws are equal to daughters.
Prophet's two sons died when they were infants. He had no grown up son. lol!
Leah

Bat Yam, Israel

#14 Apr 1, 2010
Actually, there was a tradition in the place from which they came where a father would adopt a girl to either marry later on or to marry to his son.
If she was really his sister, it would've probably been explained earlier, when their lineage was explained.
And in both cases he lied so he would get killed.
ExMuslim

New York, NY

#15 Apr 1, 2010
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Prophet's two sons died when they were infants. He had no grown up son. lol!
where does it say? any proof?

bmz

Singapore

#16 Apr 1, 2010
ExMuslim wrote:
<quoted text>
where does it say? any proof?
I have read it in Islamic History books.

Prophet had a son from Khadijah and his mae was Wasim but he died when he was a baby.

Another son, Ibrahim, was born of Maria and died when he was a baby.

Try to do some Google Search. You should be able to find something. Did you not know that when you were a Muslim?

bmz

Singapore

#17 Apr 1, 2010
Leah wrote:
Actually, there was a tradition in the place from which they came where a father would adopt a girl to either marry later on or to marry to his son.
If she was really his sister, it would've probably been explained earlier, when their lineage was explained.
And in both cases he lied so he would get killed.
I will leave it at this.
Jake

Dundas, Canada

#18 Apr 1, 2010
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Leah
Here it is:
<quoted text>
Leah,
Please note that Sarah was a very old lady, not a young woman, when this happened.
Nice spin you put on this. To bad you and everyone else knows it isn't true. If you actually read the story you would see he said on both occasions that "She is my sister" to abemilich and the Pharoh of Egypt so that they would not murder him to take his wife away. But i am noticing a patter of spin here.

Why would you go and make that up when i perfectly told the truth about Islam when he asked if a muslim brother can have sex with his sister? I could have easily of slandered it the way you did and just have answered him "Yes, muslims do it all the time," but i at least chose to be honest.
Pawn-King-Nine

Concord, CA

#19 Apr 1, 2010
bmz wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That is forbidden.
Sure it was forbidden long before the birth of Muhammad in the bible.

------
Deuteronomy 27:20 - 23

"Cursed is the man who sleeps with his father's wife, for he dishonors his father's bed." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

"Cursed is the man who has sexual relations with any animal." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

"Cursed is the man who sleeps with his sister, the daughter of his father or the daughter of his mother." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"

"Cursed is the man who sleeps with his mother-in-law." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"
------

Whether Sarah was truely Abraham's half-sister is still up for debate (Gen 20 said Abraham claimed that for their safety), but the question was not whether it is forbidden, but when did it become forbidden. You didn't believe Allah forbate brother-sister marriage in early human did you? Not only was it not forbidden, it was necessary for men to marry their close relative women when there weren't many choices (and we believe the gene was pure at the time that marriage between close relative wouldn't cause problem).

“Terrorism has no religion!”

Since: Jul 09

Saint Catharines, Canada

#20 Apr 1, 2010
What a question...please take the time to think over your questions before asking them. It will really spare us all from foolishness.

The answer is NO! If Islam clearly forbids the marriage of your blood sister in the Qur'an, why would you then have sex with her? It's sickening that you would even think of that!
Jake

Dundas, Canada

#21 Apr 1, 2010
MsDefendIslam wrote:
What a question...please take the time to think over your questions before asking them. It will really spare us all from foolishness.
The answer is NO! If Islam clearly forbids the marriage of your blood sister in the Qur'an, why would you then have sex with her? It's sickening that you would even think of that!
Even though i am not a muslim, that was my exact setiment, with my origional answer.

“Terrorism has no religion!”

Since: Jul 09

Saint Catharines, Canada

#22 Apr 1, 2010
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though i am not a muslim, that was my exact setiment, with my origional answer.
Yes Jake. I agree 101% in your orginal post. All major religions forbid such heinous behaviour. It's actually common sense...for most normal people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The father of Jihadi Jane a liar 2 min Vote UKIP 1
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 4 min Faith 422,223
No such thing as Palestinians 12 min Vote UKIP 41
News Mayor: PEGIDA Islamophobia not welcome here 18 min Vote UKIP 9
Quoting Leviticus is a crime. 26 min Vote UKIP 7
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 30 min Shamma 214,808
We Western Women and the need for real MEN ! _... 37 min harminder 22
Germanwings Flight 4U 9525 1 hr Mikey 106
You will all accept islam 19 hr open minded logician 1,634
More from around the web