What is shuruq?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Okey

Stockholm, Sweden

#1 Mar 3, 2007
I was looking at a "prayingtable" for times to pray each date. There was; fajr, shuruq, etc.
But then I counted them as 6? What does shuruq means, does it mean that you are going to pray that hour also? The sum of the prayers will then be 6.:/
Amatullaah

Williamstown, MA

#2 Mar 3, 2007
Bismillaah ir Rahman ir Raheem.
Okey wrote:
I was looking at a "prayingtable" for times to pray each date. There was; fajr, shuruq, etc.
But then I counted them as 6? What does shuruq means, does it mean that you are going to pray that hour also? The sum of the prayers will then be 6.:/
Shuruq is commonly known as salat ad-Duha; it's not an obligatory prayer, but it is a confirmed Sunnah (way of the Prophet -salallaahu alayhi wa salaam). The five obligatory prayers are Fajr (pre-dawn), Dhuhr (just after noon), Asr'(late afternoon), Maghrib (dusk), and Isha (night).

As for the Duha prayer:

Al Qasim bin Muhammad said, "Whenever I went out in the morning, I used to visit Aisha (radhiAllahu `anha)(his aunt and the wife of the Prophet, sallAlahu `alayhi wasalam) and greet her. One day I found her performing Ad Duha prayer, reciting this Ayah repeatedly, crying and invoking Allah:'So Allah has been gracious to us, and has saved us from the torment of the Fire.'[52: 27] I stood there until I felt bored, so I left and went to the market to do something and said to myself that when I finish what I have to do, I will go back (to`Aishah radhiallahu `anha). When I finished and went back to her, I found her still standing in prayer, reciting the same Ayah, crying and invoking Allah.'"
[Al Ihya 4/436]--- taken from "Our Salaf and Their Salah" by Abdul Malik al-Qasim
Amatullaah

Williamstown, MA

#3 Mar 3, 2007

When is the salah ad-Duha to be prayed?

It can be prayed anytime from the end of Fajr up until highnoon or dhuhr (depends on which scholar you ask).

From SunniPath.com :

207. Chapter: Permission to pray Duha from the time the sun is high until noon. It is best to pray it when it is very hot and well into mid-morning

1143. Zayd ibn Arqam said that he saw some people praying at the beginning of the time of Duha. He said, "Do they not know that the prayer at a later time is better? The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said,'The prayer of the repenters is when the young camels have become hot from the sun.'" [Muslim]

[http://www.sunnipath.com/Reso urces/PrintMedia/Hadith/H0004P 0207.aspx]

As well, there's this link that goes more in depth:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp...

Insha'Allaah I hope this helps.
Okey

Stockholm, Sweden

#4 Mar 3, 2007
Salam aleikum.

Thank you, I have one more question. How many rakats are you suppouse to do in shuruq? How many I want to?
Amatullaah

Williamstown, MA

#5 Mar 3, 2007
Okey wrote:
Salam aleikum.
Thank you, I have one more question. How many rakats are you suppouse to do in shuruq? How many I want to?
Wa alaikum salaam.

According to SunniPath.com , the minimun is two, and the maximum is twelve. This is in the link to the article that I gave, but here it is again just in case you need it.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp...
Towhid Khan

Sydney, Australia

#6 Mar 13, 2008
Can I pray Fajar while it is time for Shuruq?
Towhid Khan

Sydney, Australia

#7 Mar 13, 2008
If you are giving the answer, please send that to [email protected]

Since: Feb 08

Amsterdam

#8 Apr 28, 2008
Shuruq is also my name:-)
said

Shoreham-by-sea, UK

#9 Sep 10, 2009
This is all confusing through my reasearch online. Salatul Tasbih or any other prayer should not be performed between Zawal and Sunrise. As I understand the shuruq didnt this prayer time fall in between Zawal and Sunrise PLEASE enlighting me. Also it will be better if there is more clarity in english for those of us who dont speak Arabic about the Zawal and Sunrise time e.g( from sunrise to before zuhr) and Sunset to makrooh times,(when is makrooh is it before Isha) And can one pray Nafilat after Isha to Fajr. Thanks just trying to understand all this properly Regards
Salaam

Rauma, Finland

#10 Feb 11, 2011
Salamou aleykom.

Shuruq is the time when sunrise and it's definitely forbidden to pray at that time.

There's three times in day, when it's forbidden to pray: at sunrise, when the sun is on its highest position in the horizon and at sunset.

Why? This is how we (muslims) separate us from Sun worshippers.

Ma salam.
sylla

Maineville, OH

#11 Mar 18, 2012
Our Imam from the mosque said that if you missed fajr then no question, you can pray it around shuruq time. Anyhow, if you prayed fajr on time then Don't pray during shuruq time as it is to indicate the rising of the sun. The Tahajjud prayer can be counted as the sixth or optional, although it is very good to pray it (If you find it hard to pray, make it a goal to start praying it inshaallah) Rasulallah (sa) was reported to have prayed up to 5hours till his feed hurt. Do research on these prayers your own inshaallah. Asking your local Mosque Imam can be very helpful. Works for me all the time because you might come across couple different answers online. So masjid inshaallah.
Safia

Derby, UK

#12 Jul 29, 2012
Asalaam Aleikum. Why is praying during the sun rise is prohibited. Please help just trying to understand my ways of prayers.
Skhan

Shawnee, KS

#13 Feb 2, 2013
Safia wrote:
Asalaam Aleikum. Why is praying during the sun rise is prohibited. Please help just trying to understand my ways of prayers.
So as to differentiate us from the sun woshiper
Safia

Coventry, UK

#14 Feb 20, 2013
Asalam Aleikum warahmatullahi, is it allowed to curse the shaitan in the middle of prayers" audhu bilahi mina shaitan rajiim" as I am trying to concentrate hard in my prayers but unfortunately shaitan whispers in me and I loose the track of my prayes may Allah forgive me and all Muslims who are experiencing the same problem but I would to like know / learn the best way to expell this problems and inshallah to have 10o% of concetration in my prayer. Help pls. Jazallahu khair.
Hmm

Humble, TX

#15 Jul 12, 2013
Skhan wrote:
<quoted text>
So as to differentiate us from the sun woshiper
Salaam,

What Iyat in the Quran clarifies the sun worshipping is the reason not to pray at sunrise? Ty
3abduLah

Netherlands

#16 Sep 23, 2013
Safia wrote:
Asalam Aleikum warahmatullahi, is it allowed to curse the shaitan in the middle of prayers" audhu bilahi mina shaitan rajiim" as I am trying to concentrate hard in my prayers but unfortunately shaitan whispers in me and I loose the track of my prayes may Allah forgive me and all Muslims who are experiencing the same problem but I would to like know / learn the best way to expell this problems and inshallah to have 10o% of concetration in my prayer. Help pls. Jazallahu khair.
A Salam u alaikum wha rahmatulahi wha barakatuh dear sister, I have the same issues. When I sometimes lose concentration during the salat I say automatically a3udu billah i minna shaytan i rajim, but I am not sure whether this is allowed. I will check it and respond to you in sha Allah. Wha alaikum u salam wha rahmatulahi wha barakatuh
khurshid

Shah Alam, Malaysia

#17 Oct 11, 2013
Asalamalikum.
Can anyone explain if we miss fajr prayer what time we can pray fajr what name it will be fajr or kazah.
Kamal Abubakar

Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia

#18 Jul 1, 2014
Assalamu alaikum wbt.
"The best amongst you is he who people benefit from him more".
The best thing in life is to tell the truth, don't u ever say wat u don't really know...
ashkarslave4ALLA H

Sanaa, Yemen

#19 Jul 1, 2014
Imams al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated that a man came to Allah's Apostle asking him about Islam, Allah's Apostle said, "You have to offer five compulsory prayers in a day and a night (24 hours)." The man asked, "Is there any more compulsory prayers for me?" Allah's Apostle said, "No, unless you like to offer Nawafil (i.e. optional prayers)." Allah's Apostle then added, "You have to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." The man said, "Am I to fast any other days?' Allah's Apostle said, "No, unless you wish to observe the optional fast voluntarily." Then Allah's Apostle told him about the compulsory Zakah. The man asked, "Do I have to give anything besides?" Allah's Apostle said, "No, unless you wish to give in charity voluntarily." So, the man departed saying, "By Allah, I will neither do more nor less than that." Allah's Apostle said, "If he has said the truth he will be successful ".
Every Muslim knows that there are only five obligatory prayers in a day and night.'Shurooq' is not among the obligatory prayers. Shurooq means the Duha (forenoon). Performing optional prayers after Fajr prayer is forbidden until the sun has completely risen to the length of a spear. Therefore, the reason for mentioning the time of Shurooq prayer along with the five prayers in the calendar is only to inform the people that the lawful time of prayers has begun.
Allah knows best.
ashkarslave4ALLA H

Sanaa, Yemen

#20 Jul 1, 2014
Salamu aleykum.

Shuruq is the time when sunrise and it's definitely forbidden to pray at that time.

There's three times in day, when it's forbidden to pray: at sunrise, when the sun is on its highest position in the horizon and at sunset.

Why? This is how we (muslims) separate us from Sun worshippers.
[like in my country, Indonesia, there are Hindus who worship like Sun worshippers]

shuruq is an additional prayer (rather dua) offered after Fajr. This is not an obligatory prayer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Islam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll What Topix Man As The Smallest (P)ENIS ? (Oct '11) 5 min Robespierre 80
News First mosque to open in Athens following 180 ban 17 min Sad 14
Earthquake in Italy how are muslim nation's goi... 32 min Robespierre 5
News German Interior Minister: If We Ban Burqas, The... 1 hr Hym 3
News Islam Will Conquer Italy and the Entire West (Sep '10) 1 hr uyan 491,976
News Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 2 hr Thinking 253,878
Mississippi Man Wanting Join ISIS Sentenced Today. 2 hr Chico 1
Muslim woman is the cleanest woman 6 hr jinxi 49
More from around the web