POLYGAMY: More people seeking help fr...

POLYGAMY: More people seeking help from polygamist support group

There are 228 comments on the Fox13Now story from Aug 5, 2010, titled POLYGAMY: More people seeking help from polygamist support group. In it, Fox13Now reports that:

Efforts to reach out to people in Utah and Arizona's polygamous communities are showing more success.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox13Now.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
moorman man

Omaha, NE

#2 Aug 6, 2010
if these guys want 5 or 6 wives,more power to them.i personally couldn't handle all the drama and headaches.
ohio

Van Wert, OH

#3 Aug 6, 2010
The wives at the FLDS PRISON are not allowed to have or show any emotions, they are taught since birth. So it isn't a problem like in main stream America would be.
the bee lady

Pikeville, TN

#4 Aug 6, 2010
only in utah will the state attorney not prosecute what in the rest of the 49 states is a crime. what makes utah think that they are better than the rest of the states. All of those criminals actually flock to Utah and bordering states just for this reason. I visited Utah once and Salt Lake, wasn't impressed and it is doubtful I will return. Freaks
Steve

Tempe, AZ

#5 Aug 6, 2010
bee lady, you make such a comment and you are from tenn?? Give me a break not all Utah residents are even mormon. silly stereotype and please stay away from our beautiful state. On the other hand I agree all polygamists should be prosecuted,
Father Paul

Sparkman, AR

#6 Aug 6, 2010
The Attornies General of several States are involved in this project Bee lady, not just Utah. Did you read the article. Many FLDS women were and are in attendance Ohio, did you read the article.

For some reason polygamy stirs the pot of everyone not involved in the practice of a religion not their own.
I can't wait for more comments, we already have a prison analogy, what is next, dead babies, arsenals of weapons, waterboarding, or do we need to go directly to sex in order to get more attention from the anti flds fringe?
ohio

Van Wert, OH

#7 Aug 6, 2010
Father Paul wrote:
The Attornies General of several States are involved in this project Bee lady, not just Utah. Did you read the article. Many FLDS women were and are in attendance Ohio, did you read the article.
For some reason polygamy stirs the pot of everyone not involved in the practice of a religion not their own.
I can't wait for more comments, we already have a prison analogy, what is next, dead babies, arsenals of weapons, waterboarding, or do we need to go directly to sex in order to get more attention from the anti flds fringe?
I'm sure all your topics have been discussed. No not religion, it isn't religious to rape young girls.Yes they are in a prison of hell with guards.
wellreadone

Rimrock, AZ

#8 Aug 7, 2010
Can you imagine a divorce? The alimony and child support would be fatal. Can you imagine the synchronized p m s ?
bleh

San Diego, CA

#9 Aug 7, 2010
and they think gays undermine the sanctity of marriage
wellreadone

Rimrock, AZ

#10 Aug 7, 2010
The states rights are not being bullied by the feds? Good for the states.
teremist

High Springs, FL

#11 Aug 7, 2010
Polygamy, where it promotes underage "Marriage," is a thin disguise for child rape. Where the partners are legally adults, women are regarded as property, whose purpose is to serve the man, and breed. It is tantamount to slavery. It is offensive to every legal and moral standard, and should NEVER be tolerated. It offends women everywhere, but most importantly, it OFFENDS God. SHAME ON THE STATES THAT ALLOW IT.
Michelle

Overton, NV

#12 Aug 7, 2010
Polygamy shouldn't be the focus. Child brides, incest, rape and abuse is the problem. And what about the "Lost boys"? The sons of "lesser" members of the FLDS, who are booted out of the fold around the age of puberty for minor infractions, to make sure the favorites get their choice of child brides.

In reality, polygamy isn't even a factor, as there is only one actual marriage. The other "brides" are merely done by ceremony. No legal forms filed. Which brings up another crime. Welfare fraud. Often, the "celestial brides" will made to apply for state welfare and medicaid, claiming the father of their born and unborn children to not be around.

Who really gives a damn if adults wish to be involved in these so called celestial marriages? Lets focus on the actual crimes being committed. And, the FLDS is not the only LDS offshoot involved in these crimes. Just the most prominent.
Dagobert II

Killeen, TX

#13 Aug 7, 2010
Why not?

With legal barriers against same sex marriages falling, I think it's only a matter of time before legal barriers against polygamous marriages fall as well.

The bottom line is that marriage is a partnership of consenting adults, any number, any sex.
Girl

Toledo, OH

#14 Aug 7, 2010
FLDS people are not truly LDS, in fact, after Manifesto was issued by Heber J. Grant, polygamy became outlawed and anyone who does it now as part of the LDS church is excommunicated. We only practice monogamy. The FlDS church is not even a part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Same goes for the RLDS church ( Community of Christ).
Michelle

Overton, NV

#15 Aug 7, 2010
@ Girl from Ohio

First of all, I don't recall anyone stating that the FLDS or other offshoots were still a part of the core LDS membership.

Second, since you brought it up, polygamy IS still Doctrine. The manifesto was merely signed to allow Utah to be entered into the union. Similar to the "revelation" to the leadership to allow black men into the bishopric, in the late '70s I believe it was.
Harold

Muskogee, OK

#16 Aug 7, 2010
WOW!!!! lots of mothers in laws! Lots of kids! lots of problems! WOW lots of food, lots of laws, lots of OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH WWWWWWOOOOOOWWWWWWs
Harold

Muskogee, OK

#17 Aug 7, 2010
WOWWWWW
Father Paul

Sparkman, AR

#18 Aug 7, 2010
The right to consensual sex between adults is no longer an issue for the courts, so says the SC. The issue of religion and "marraigeaaaaaaaa' is a matter for the various religious institutions. If yopu disagree with a religion don't join. If you wish to be monomogous then be monogamous. Degradation of women is quite a stretch when the women who chose polygamy do so of their own free will just as they have a right to chose not to be in a relationship.

The degradation of any sex seems to be the rallying cry for those that either don't agree with the free choice of others or have left relationships or institutions that they disagree with.

No flds woman that attends the meetings that are a subject of this article have been prevented from attending the meetings and they return to their husband of their own free will, which in and of itself shoots the idea of a prison down as much as it shows that they chose to be in exactly the relationship that they want.

Freedom to practice ones religion may be an argument for those that want to practice the polygamy but shacking up with a group of friends is condoned by our courts, what a hypocracy.
Roxie

Gonzales, LA

#19 Aug 7, 2010
As a free woman living life just fine for 58 years without marrying a man (not to say I haven't enjoyed the services of a few), I don't have any use for the institution of marriage which is just a convenient way to subjugate women. My problem with these men having numerous women is that they are not supporting these women and their children. The women are getting government assistance for themselves and their kids and the men hold the purse strings which keep these women in bondage to these men. This is not what I pay my taxes to support. This is fraud on the government, state and federal. It is organized crime and needs to be dealt with.
ladijules

United States

#20 Aug 7, 2010
I couldn't care less about what consenting adults do. That is their business. If the adult women who consent to this kind of slavery wish to do so and are stupid enough to do so, that is their business.

What I DO object to is these groups abandoning boys on the street to fend for themselves, because the older members want the little girls and don't want competition. I object to the fact that they think 12 year olds are perfectly acceptable to be offered to be made a sex slave of some 54 year old. OH AND BEFORE you give me the B.S. about "they are not sex slaves" the what the heck are they? NOthing except property! NO more important that a cow or a goat, made to be raped and impregnated.

I do not like the fact they are stealing government money left right and center, given the opportunity. Nor the fact that they deliberately engage in incest, not caring about the birth defects they will give their children when big brother knocks up little sister.... with the full consent of the parents!

And as for the person who said something about "the girls have a choice" who the HELL are you LYING to? They most definitely do not!!! Nor do they have the choice of getting married period! They are handed off just like a cow... with out as much consent as we ask a cow!

I KNOW PEOPLE who have come out of these cults! What they do in these places make Jim Jones look sane!!!
Father Paul

United States

#21 Aug 7, 2010
To assume that a citizen of this country that applies for food stamps is a crook is about as out of line as saying that someone that takes a mortgage deduction for their home is a crook. The women qualify for assistance based on their income, or lack of income and and with or without a husband their income is the issue.. legal wives or not it is a matter of income.
If you want to read the attitudes of those involved in this religion and their willingness to continue to worship as they please the flds has a web site. Slavery and other such buzz words are about as far from reality as it gets and not a single woman considers herself a victim.
Propagateing wild accusations is what began this mess and so far a vast majority of sensationalist accusations havwe been proven false and those that stand convicted of following their beliefs were "targeted" by changes in sexual consent and marraige laws that were good enough for all Texans before the church was "targeted".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FLDS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FBI Offering $50K Reward For Lyle Jeffs' Capture (Sep '16) Jan 29 Counterpoint 6
News Polygamy No Longer a Crime in Utah (Dec '13) Sep '17 robinginnette 27
News $50K reward for capture of fugitive polygamist ... (Sep '16) Apr '17 danzig152 10
News Three Mormon Polygamists Back In Prison For Foo... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Texxy the Selfie Cat 2
News Polygamous sect leader says he's not guilty of ... (Dec '16) Feb '17 MeSo 3
News Nephew: Polygamist Sect Leader Raped Me At Age 5 (Aug '11) Feb '17 Phart For Heaven 87
News Two of three people found guilty in B.C. child ... (Feb '17) Feb '17 no Wynne situatio... 1
More from around the web