Falun Gong's Shen Yun - Art or Propag...

Falun Gong's Shen Yun - Art or Propaganda?

Posted in the Falun Gong Forum

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 Oct 9, 2012
Sometime in the near future (I believe mid-February), at Pittsburgh's Benedum Centre for the Performing Arts, there will be a performance by the Shen Yun Performing Arts group, an acrobatics and dance routine which promises to resurrect 'the essence of 5000 years of Chinese culture' or somesuch. I was initially somewhat interested in going until a.) I saw the price tag (starting from $55-ish; usually Benedum performances start from $10 or $20, with big names starting from $40) and b.) I saw the fine print at the bottom of the poster:'Sponsored by the Pittsburgh Falun Dafa Association', which got me scratching my head.

I decided to read several reviews of Shen Yun performances online, and, as expected, viewers were split down the middle between those who thought it was an inspiring piece of art and those who saw it as very thinly-veiled anti-CCP propaganda. Naturally, I'm not the most impartial of people when it comes to the likes of Falun Dafa - I've seen the heart-rending results of these 'new religions' first-hand as well as hearing of them second-hand, and reading the doctrines of Mr Li I've grown more and more convinced that it's basically Scientology in Chinese drag.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Falun Gong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 'living dead': Chinese prisoners executed f... Jun '17 True Christian wi... 3
News Falun Gong practitioners want your helpThe grou... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Adam 1
News Confucius Classrooms: Chinese government agency... (May '16) May '16 Dutch expat 1
News Miss World Canada says visa to China delayed be... (Nov '15) Feb '16 NYPD 6
News Lynnwood woman relishes freedom of religion ban... (Oct '15) Jan '16 Lindsay Killed Elise 2
Shen Yun show: The Worst show in my life (Jan '13) Dec '15 pgh 2
News The Case of Wang Yu, Emblem of China's Human Ri... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Kai 2
More from around the web