Pagans and partygoers celebrate the s...

Pagans and partygoers celebrate the summer solstice at Stonehenge

There are 21 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Pagans and partygoers celebrate the summer solstice at Stonehenge. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Thousands of partygoers, pagans and self-styled druids cheered and banged drums Saturday to greet the dawn at Stonehenge on the longest day of the year, the summer solstice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

#1 Jun 21, 2008
"We heard about it through our really studious friends, but we're going to come and get drunk," said Alison Newcomer, a 21-year-old student from Minneapolis, Minn.

(deep sigh and a shake of the head)
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 21, 2008
If that's all it means to you, why bother?

Twin Cities

#5 Jun 21, 2008
RipSaw88 wrote:
<quoted text>
ZB - she is 21 its none of your &^%^$# business.
go clean out the garage or do something that makes a difference in the world.
How in your young estimation is it not my business? This is, after all, a pulic forum for readers to comment on items in a newspaper. I will, however, take your advice and go do something more meaningful. I hear from my really religious friends that the Vatican is hosting a really rad bash...

“We're all connected”

Since: Feb 08

St Paul, MN

#7 Jun 21, 2008
The fact that she was quoted in a large newspaper doesn't mean that ZB can't make comments. I shared the same feeling she did when I read that one quote. Hopefully the 21 year old will be humbled to be at such an ancient, yet important monument.
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jun 21, 2008
Mellers wrote:
The fact that she was quoted in a large newspaper doesn't mean that ZB can't make comments. I shared the same feeling she did when I read that one quote. Hopefully the 21 year old will be humbled to be at such an ancient, yet important monument.
I agree, she and all the other people who spam us, say we are clueless, or nuts, should remember this monument is not in the United States. The laws in other countries are very different than they are here. She and others from the U.S. should remember that. The fact that this ancient monument has been damaged in the past by people going there, resulted in the monument being closed to the public. This sort of behavior is really childish and disgusting.
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 21, 2008
I meant to say the monument has been damaged in the past by people going there, getting drunk, climbing on the stones, writing their names and other things on the stones. This is a religious place for some people. Their church, and the kind of behavior from people thinking they can go and do whatever they want is really childish and disgusting.
Dan

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jun 21, 2008
Despite being Pagans, the Durids were a heck of a lot better behaved than many Catholic clergys.

As an O'Riordan I'm descended from Cathbad.

“Respect the Great Mother”

Lawrenceville, GA

#11 Jun 21, 2008
One year, I hope to make it there. Would love to experience a sabbat at that ancient site.
RipSaw88

Cottage Grove, MN

#12 Jun 22, 2008
Cindy Stainker wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, she and all the other people who spam us, say we are clueless, or nuts, should remember this monument is not in the United States. The laws in other countries are very different than they are here. She and others from the U.S. should remember that. The fact that this ancient monument has been damaged in the past by people going there, resulted in the monument being closed to the public. This sort of behavior is really childish and disgusting.
CS,
I wish all 21 year old women were as perfect as you .
It must be very trying for you to live in this world with the rest of us.

Currently in MN. Orig. from NJ

#13 Jun 22, 2008
That's a long way to go to "go get drunk." Add on the expense of a plane ticket to England too.

Think her parents can write it off as a school expense on their taxes?

“Religion is a drug say NO”

Since: Jan 08

Mudville OKlahoma

#14 Jun 22, 2008
I would have loved to be there for the Celebration. as Mother Nature needs all the help that she can get. Unfortunately she is being forgotten in the modern world. If more people would pay attention to the planet that we live on instead of dead gods the world would be a better place. Mother Nature is Alive and producing Miracles every Day.
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jun 22, 2008
RipSaw88 wrote:
<quoted text>
CS,
I wish all 21 year old women were as perfect as you .
It must be very trying for you to live in this world with the rest of us.
I never claimed to be perfect in any way. Nor do I want to be. I have no problem living in this world with anyone. Just because she is 21, doesn't mean she should not display a little more respect and common sense. And remember RipSaw, this is a forum for discussion. I have an opinion just like everybody else and I am also allowed to voice it here, just like you or anyone else.

“Just Li'l ol' me....LiLi”

Since: Jun 07

Like many others

#16 Jun 22, 2008
Hmmmmmm.....I wonder how she would feel if a person were to say they were just going to a celebration at her church to just get drunk..........

“Respect the Great Mother”

Lawrenceville, GA

#17 Jun 22, 2008
She would probably say "party on, dude!" or some other brainless expression. Blessed be!!
LiLi LaVeau wrote:
Hmmmmmm.....I wonder how she would feel if a person were to say they were just going to a celebration at her church to just get drunk..........
Catalina

Alton, UK

#18 Jun 22, 2008
I think you guys should probably not just sit there and condemn her expecially since we all know how good the press are at making shit up and/or misquoting someone. Also, if any of you who have been to Stonehenge on the soltice you would know that everyone is high, drunk or worse. Not saying it is right but its a fact. Whether or not the quote is actually true is besides the point, she is young and she said something that she probably regrets, so lay off her. She learned a valuable lesson about talking to the press and saying anything. And you have no idea whether or not she is brainless, she could be in England studying but wanted to have a good time, so unless your Jesus Christ, dont throw stones in glass houses!
Catalina

Alton, UK

#19 Jun 22, 2008
Oh and btw the stones are roped off 363 days of the year to preserve them.. you are not aloud within at least thirty feet of them unless it is the summer or winter solstice...
AlisonsFan

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Jun 23, 2008
I agree with you Catalina! Ms. Newcomer happens to go to a world class institution and is an extremely brilliant young lady. Most importantly she does not take herself too seriously...
True Pagan

United States

#21 Nov 19, 2008
I might be able to respect Catalina more if she could spell.... Not nearly as "brilliant" as you think.

Since: Feb 08

ANOKA, MN

#22 Nov 21, 2008
Just goes to perpetuate the "ugly American" stereotype.

Wonder if she'll send the clipping to her parents? "Guess what mom - they quoted me in this article!" Like that ad for the party-girl video, where the semi-naked girl says into her cell phone
"Guess what daddy - I'm about to be on Girls Gone Wild!"

Their parents must be so proud. Maybe she'll have pictures of herself and her friends passed out on FaceBook. Just what an employer will want to see, in this tight job market!
Anndee

Coeur D Alene, ID

#23 Nov 21, 2008
Worship for things that will be dust.
Makes so much sense...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Druid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New theory on Stonehenge describes it as 'an an... (Mar '15) Dec '16 Lucifer 9
Proof that Christianity stole from Paganism (Apr '16) Apr '16 Famous Amos 1
News Druids in Stonehenge bones protest (Dec '13) Dec '13 alysb 2
The Christian Druid (Nov '09) Sep '13 ArchDruid Paul Ga... 17
27??? (Sep '13) Sep '13 lost 1
News Primrose Hill celebrated by Druids as ancient h... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Jack Skellington 13
News Druids recognized as religion for first time in UK (Oct '10) Feb '12 joX 16
More from around the web