Was Christ a Liberal?
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

#1 Aug 21, 2013
Why or why not?

Let's make sure you define "liberal" first, then proceed, if you would.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 21, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
Why or why not?
Let's make sure you define "liberal" first, then proceed, if you would.
lol

Next phase of cookies meltdown begins. This is the make a bunch of crazy troll threads phase. This is where she will troll spam a forum and claim they are discussion threads, lol.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#4 Aug 21, 2013
Was Christ a Liberal?
Heck No!
Jesus Christ was a benevolent Conservative, and his parables prove it.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#6 Aug 21, 2013
Norbit buster buster wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO you havent a clue as to what that actually means. You just like sounding like your an adult.
Go look up both and do a little research before spouting off at things you really dont know anything about.
What do you know?
You're just another Frisco Freak with Gender Identity Issues.
Thinking

UK

#7 Aug 22, 2013
Many American people consider the word "liberal" to be a perjorative, in much the same way an Iranian leader might.

Anderson, IN

#8 Aug 22, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
Was Christ a Liberal?
Heck No!
How so?

Please describe a "benevolent Conservative".

Thanks.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9 Aug 22, 2013
Christ knew that the things of the earth are fleeting. Property, ego, holding on to things are futile. To quote a popular movie from the 90's: "You are not your fucking khakis". The things you own end up owning you". Knowing this, we can assume that Jesus was against the squandering of wealth...

Then he said to them,“Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”- Luke 12:15

Jesus answered,“If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”- Matthew 19:21

Liberalism espouses the redistribution of wealth to the more needy. And social equality:

"Love your neighbor as yourself" - Matthew 22:39

"But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just." - Luke 14:13-14

I think that Jesus was NOT a liberal in the political sense. Jesus was not that interested in changing politics. There are many interesting parallels between Jesus and the liberal philosophy, though. Liberalism draws a lot of it's ideas from Christ's words and actions.

My opinion of Conservatism Vs. Liberalism is that Conservatism tries to hold on to the past, and tries to gather resources, while Liberalism tends to embrace or create change while distributing resources. Liberalism is more in line with what Jesus would want.

Anderson, IN

#10 Aug 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
Christ knew that the things of the earth are fleeting. Property, ego, holding on to things are futile. To quote a popular movie from the 90's: "You are not your fucking khakis". The things you own end up owning you". Knowing this, we can assume that Jesus was against the squandering of wealth...
Then he said to them,“Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”- Luke 12:15
Jesus answered,“If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”- Matthew 19:21
Liberalism espouses the redistribution of wealth to the more needy. And social equality:
"But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just." - Luke 14:13-14
I think that Jesus was NOT a liberal in the political sense. Jesus was not that interested in changing politics. There are many interesting parallels between Jesus and the liberal philosophy, though. Liberalism draws a lot of it's ideas from Christ's words and actions.
My opinion of Conservatism Vs. Liberalism is that Conservatism tries to hold on to the past, and tries to gather resources, while Liberalism tends to embrace or create change while distributing resources. Liberalism is more in line with what Jesus would want.
Nicely put...I agree...to vote your "values", if you vote democrat, their values more espouse those of Christ..as the rich are taxes more due to more income and that money is given to those with very little income.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#11 Aug 22, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
Was Christ a Liberal?
Heck No!
Absolutely. Once again, we actually agree :)

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#12 Aug 22, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely put...I agree...to vote your "values", if you vote democrat, their values more espouse those of Christ..as the rich are taxes more due to more income and that money is given to those with very little income.
Yes, the Democrats just love being generous with everyone else's money. What did Paul state? "If a man does not work, then he should not eat."
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#13 Aug 22, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Nicely put...I agree...to vote your "values",

if you vote democrat, their values more espouse those of Christ..

as the rich are taxes more due to more income and that money is given to those with very little income.
Are you outta your mind?
Jesus would condemn outright the current democrat party agenda.

How do you reconcile the democrat agenda of promoting coveting their neighbor's goods, endorsing euthanasia, killing babies and stirring racial divisiveness with Christ's teachings?
SHeeSH!
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#14 Aug 22, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
How so?
Please describe a "benevolent Conservative".
Thanks.
Take one gospel chapter from Matt.25 to explain Christ's endorsement of benevolent conservative.
First the encouragement to gain capital.

"Jesus told his disciples this parable:
“A man going on a journey
called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them.
To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one–
to each according to his ability.
Then he went away.
Immediately the one who received five talents went and traded with them,
and made another five.
Likewise, the one who received two made another two.
But the man who received one went off and dug a hole in the ground
and buried his master’s money.
After a long time
the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them.
The one who had received five talents
came forward bringing the additional five.
He said,‘Master, you gave me five talents.
See, I have made five more.’
His master said to him,‘Well done, my good and faithful servant.
Since you were faithful in small matters,
I will give you great responsibilities.
Come, share your master’s joy.’
Then the one who had received two talents also came forward and said,
‘Master, you gave me two talents.
See, I have made two more.’
His master said to him,‘Well done, my good and faithful servant.
Since you were faithful in small matters,
I will give you great responsibilities.
Come, share your master’s joy.’
Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said,
‘Master, I knew you were a demanding person,
harvesting where you did not plant
and gathering where you did not scatter;
so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground.
Here it is back.’
His master said to him in reply,‘You wicked, lazy servant!
So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant
and gather where I did not scatter?
Should you not then have put my money in the bank
so that I could have got it back with interest on my return?
Now then! Take the talent from him and give it to the one with ten.
For to everyone who has,
more will be given and he will grow rich;
but from the one who has not,
even what he has will be taken away."
==========

Then what is Christ's benevolent conservative supposed to do with the gains of investment?
Be benevolent.

"Then the king will say to those on his right,‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,
naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’

Then the righteous will answer him and say,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?
When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?
When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’

And the king will say to them in reply,‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’"
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#15 Aug 22, 2013
Truthsayer777 wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely. Once again, we actually agree :)
Obviously that must mean we are right.

Location hidden

#16 Aug 22, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
It's arguable whether the Democratic party is liberal in the purest sense of the term. I'm not into politics, but the most ideal party is the one that gives us the most freedom to believe in Christ and do what's required of us as Christians. That may very well be the Libertarian party, since they are hands off about almost everything.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#17 Aug 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
I disagree, Conservatism ideally means not wasteful, preparing for a future by saving, limiting government power over personal finances. Liberalism imposes one person's needs on another, punishes success with higher taxes and forces charity. No incentive to work harder. Jesus never forced anyone to adhere to his teachings, nor was Jesus a Communist. Christianity cannot be compared to any political teaching, God is neither Republican, Democrat or any lesser group.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#18 Aug 22, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
BS...Democrats are just as if not more corrupt than every other political group. I don't know any "poor" politicians. If you feel strongly about a cause use your own money to support it.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#19 Aug 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
It's arguable whether the Democratic party is liberal in the purest sense of the term. I'm not into politics, but the most ideal party is the one that gives us the most freedom to believe in Christ and do what's required of us as Christians. That may very well be the Libertarian party, since they are hands off about almost everything.
Libertarians are not "liberal". They are far too sensible to be categorized in such a way. Liberal used to mean open minded, non oppressive, fair, now it is just misused to divide the American people.

Location hidden

#20 Aug 22, 2013
nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, Conservatism ideally means not wasteful, preparing for a future by saving, limiting government power over personal finances. Liberalism imposes one person's needs on another, punishes success with higher taxes and forces charity. No incentive to work harder. Jesus never forced anyone to adhere to his teachings, nor was Jesus a Communist. Christianity cannot be compared to any political teaching, God is neither Republican, Democrat or any lesser group.
Read my post above yours :).... Liberalism is not a bad thing in it's purest form as long as it's not forced on people. I'm not fond of either party that we have to choose from right now in the USA. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I said that God is of a certain political party, because I didn't mean that at all.

Location hidden

#21 Aug 22, 2013
nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Libertarians are not "liberal". They are far too sensible to be categorized in such a way. Liberal used to mean open minded, non oppressive, fair, now it is just misused to divide the American people.
I don't believe that Libertarians are liberal either... They are who they are... They just believe in limited forms of government. My apologies if I came across as saying that libertarians, as a group, are liberal.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#23 Aug 22, 2013
scambuster wrote:
<quoted text>
Read my post above yours :).... Liberalism is not a bad thing in it's purest form as long as it's not forced on people. I'm not fond of either party that we have to choose from right now in the USA. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I said that God is of a certain political party, because I didn't mean that at all.
Politics has taken two good values, conservatism and liberalism and distorted the meanings. One is not contradictory to the other. The divisiveness of politics is destroying this country. One group demonizing the other. Jesus would want no part of any of this. I wish the politicos would get off the Christian forum. No need to apologize, but I am glad you clarified your position.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Real Fundies 2 min no-one-special 73
What about all these hypocrites that claim the ... 8 min RELIGION OF ARROG... 42
Would Jesus have attended a Gay Wedding? 9 min blacklagoon 2,651
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 12 min waaasssuuup 4,793
Natural Morality As Evidence Against The Existe... 29 min RELIGION OF ARROG... 13
Mathew 5:17 – Why do some Christians not preach... 2 hr Big Al 30
Christians: Is this really Christian theology? 2 hr truthandcommonsense 210
More from around the web