Do you really think...?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Punisher

Bronxville, NY

#1 Feb 20, 2013
That every time you say, "May God bless you..." to whomever for whatever reason...do you You really think/believe your God stops and does what you say...?

Isn't it sort of silly and a toss off phrase - like "Have a Good Day!" - that truly means nothing as its so frequently and casually used...?
Cisco Kid

Columbia, CA

#2 Feb 20, 2013
Punisher wrote:
That every time you say, "May God bless you..." to whomever for whatever reason...do you You really think/believe your God stops and does what you say...?
Isn't it sort of silly and a toss off phrase - like "Have a Good Day!" - that truly means nothing as its so frequently and casually used...?
Go fly a kite.

ps: that's not intended as casual usage.
Thinking

Ilminster, UK

#3 Feb 20, 2013
I tend to say "take care" to people that I know rather than say "have a nice noun" to those that I don't.
Punisher wrote:

NDanger

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#4 Feb 20, 2013
Punisher wrote:
No, I mean it every time...Gesundheit, Have a Great Day, God Bless You, etc, etc...

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Buda, TX

#5 Feb 20, 2013
Punisher wrote:
1. No

2. It should not be said if don't mean it. So it should not casually tossed around.

John from Texas

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Buda, TX

#6 Feb 20, 2013
typos! Arrgghh

Cookie_Parker

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#7 Feb 20, 2013
John from Texas wrote:
typos! Arrgghh
Ah, you're among friends..typos are okay.
Punisher

Bronxville, NY

#8 Feb 21, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I mean it every time...Gesundheit, Have a Great Day, God Bless You, etc, etc...
But do you believe/think God actually stops and does what you ask, when you say, "May God bless you"...?

If a persons idea of a great day was way in the other direction as yours - you might be condoning it...
Punisher

Bronxville, NY

#9 Feb 21, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Go fly a kite.
ps: that's not intended as casual usage.
I'd love to go fly a kite...but its too damn cold here...kites are cool. Kids and I enjoy watching the local kite club do their kite battles at a local park each summer. Fun stuff.

“Just another face”

Since: May 08

in the cloud

#11 Feb 21, 2013
No. I think it's said more of a statement of intentions. A socially acceptable "I care".
The opposite of the (somewhat) socially acceptable FO. People don't actually expect that person to walk away doing that, do they?
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#12 Feb 21, 2013
it's all in your technique. The blessing should be audibly proportionate to the sneeze. A small sneeze gets a quiet bless you, a LOUD sneeze gets a bellowing GOD BLESS YOU. try it...it's fun.
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#14 Feb 22, 2013
nc resident wrote:
it's all in your technique. The blessing should be audibly proportionate to the sneeze. A small sneeze gets a quiet bless you, a LOUD sneeze gets a bellowing GOD BLESS YOU. try it...it's fun.
Why bless the sneeze'r, and not the sneezee...?

If the sneeze'r is sick - they're already past a blessing, its the one/s in the vicinity of their explosive act...that might need a blessing.

:)
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#15 Feb 22, 2013
SisTeresa wrote:
No. I think it's said more of a statement of intentions. A socially acceptable "I care".
The opposite of the (somewhat) socially acceptable FO. People don't actually expect that person to walk away doing that, do they?
But do you expect your God to act each time someone says it?
little lamb

Maribyrnong, Australia

#16 Feb 22, 2013
" Life and death are in the power of the tongue."
Cisco Kid

Jamestown, CA

#17 Feb 22, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>But do you expect your God to act each time someone says it?
Why not?
Do you question the ability of God to multi-task?

I knew it!
You ARE descended from a chimp.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#18 Feb 23, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Why bless the sneeze'r, and not the sneezee...?
If the sneeze'r is sick - they're already past a blessing, its the one/s in the vicinity of their explosive act...that might need a blessing.
:)
That would be fun.. when someone Else sneezes would say ," God Bless Me!" then shudder. In all seriousness... those sick are never past a blessing.
Punisher

Mount Vernon, NY

#19 Feb 23, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not?
Do you question the ability of God to multi-task?
I knew it!
You ARE descended from a chimp.
More nonsense from the Literally-A-Kid. Lovely how you will now try to derail things by bringing in an irrelevancies...

The point is not a Super Beings ability to multi-task (gessus, how much of a stupid meme is that term, like its a virtue now to do more'n one thing at a time.)but for he/she/it to do as You say. The Q is all about how much control to direct their gods actions do Xtians truly think/believe they have.

A rather easy concept, that Believers tend to over-think, which is odd that they do such a thing at all...think.
Punisher

Mount Vernon, NY

#20 Feb 23, 2013
nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be fun.. when someone Else sneezes would say ," God Bless Me!" then shudder. In all seriousness... those sick are never past a blessing.
how about we say, "May God bless you with manners" - when people sneeze and do not cover-up..?

"May God give you the good sense to stay the F home and not go out, go to work to infect others."

;)
Job

United States

#21 Feb 23, 2013
Punisher wrote:
This is a ligitimate question, and I think there's another thing to ocnsider here (or 2 specific things) as with concerning God.

To start off with "God", yes, it is possible. Of course He doesn't have to "stop" in the sense that responding to this statement is an inconvenience. God has heard/hears every word ever spoken in history. And it 'is' God's 'desire' to bless everyone. There are conditions that prevent that from happening, but it 'is' the intent of God to bless any human willing to respond to His invitation of Grace.

"May God bless you" would certainly appear far more casual than when Stephen, the man stoned in the Book of Acts, stated "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.". But one can easily draw suspicion assuming that even that was a quaint statement to come up with a plea/last minute prayer to look good before arriving into Heaven. And even if we take that as a heartfelt prayer, we could wonder if God would/did answer that prayer? The Bible doesn't say specifically that this specific prayer was answered, but we know that many people were 'saved' afterwards, so it's quite likely that God 'did' respond to that prayer.

Which gets us to the second party (other than God Himself), and that's the person making the statement. At times there may not be much behind it other than to win you over, not really caring whether God blesses you or not. But there are probably times where the statement is a genuine desire addressed both to you 'and' God.

In this latter case, I think it's a person who prefers the best for you 'eternally', as well as in the present. And even if you don't believe in God, I think it may be beneficial to understand that there are Christians who genuinely prefer things go well for you. Not just eternally, but in the present.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#22 Feb 23, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>how about we say, "May God bless you with manners" - when people sneeze and do not cover-up..?
"May God give you the good sense to stay the F home and not go out, go to work to infect others."
;)
then we would have to be able to distinguish between contagious disease sneezes and allergy sneezes. Why don't we bless people when they cough?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 10 min ZDF 608
jesus will never return 1 hr ZDF 499
Why has God stop communicating with man? 14 hr horror girl 219
Why did Christ come to Earth? (Oct '16) 14 hr horror girl 1,611
How long is an age exactly? (Apr '12) Mon blacklagoon 3 48
Our time is here, prophecy fulfilled! Sun blacklagoon 3 36
America is a constitutional republic, based on ... Nov 17 Bloodflower 43
More from around the web