What is your view on modalism (onenes...

What is your view on modalism (oneness pentecostal theology)?

Posted in the Christian Forum

Since: Jan 13

Europe

#1 Feb 25, 2013
First of all, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not an advocate of that view. I was raised in this view but have recently rejected it.
Put simply it is the oneness pentecostal view that the father, son and holy spirit are not three distinct persons but simply three roles, manifestations or modes of one person. That there is only one person in the Godhead and this person is the father, the son and the holy spirit.
Its an attempt to keep the deity of the three and not split God into three individuals.
Cisco Kid

Jamestown, CA

#2 Feb 26, 2013
Steonaer wrote:
First of all, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not an advocate of that view. I was raised in this view but have recently rejected it.
Put simply it is the oneness pentecostal view that the father, son and holy spirit are not three distinct persons but simply three roles, manifestations or modes of one person. That there is only one person in the Godhead and this person is the father, the son and the holy spirit.
Its an attempt to keep the deity of the three and not split God into three individuals.
That's a pretty concise description of The Triune Godhead.

But I got news for you, your Trinity teaching comes from Catholic Dogma, the pentecostals borrowed it since they haven't had much time to develop their own kerygma.

In 1910 a minister declared heretic by the Baptists he traveled to preach to, went down to Azusa Street in LA, set up a tent and got people stirred up to shakin and wigglin on the ground, thus inventing the Pentecostal group.

If he would have waited a bit, he could have announced the Grand Opening of his Pentecostal church on TV!
Hardy-Ho-Ho

Jamestown, CA

#4 Feb 26, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks a lot for clearing up that mind-bogglin'and extremely confusing Trinity Doctrine, Mr. Steonaer. I finally got it figured,... and the Trinity finally enters into the realm of reality, like evolution.
Clearly, God is a 3-in-1-er!
He's a sort of Superman, Superboy, and Clark Kent, all in one neat package, and the Bible is his quick-change telephone booth!
Hey, Steon,... I betcha that's exactly where the SPentacosters got the idea,... ehh??
Hardie-Har-Har!
That's what comes to your mind?

Glad I stirred a clear spot in your muddy.

Here, let me level the playing field for the lesser informed reader.

"Faster than a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a locomotive.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Look! Up in the sky!
It's a bird. It's a plane. It's...

No phone booth needed.

Since: Jan 13

Europe

#6 Feb 26, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty concise description of The Triune Godhead.
But I got news for you, your Trinity teaching comes from Catholic Dogma, the pentecostals borrowed it since they haven't had much time to develop their own kerygma.
In 1910 a minister declared heretic by the Baptists he traveled to preach to, went down to Azusa Street in LA, set up a tent and got people stirred up to shakin and wigglin on the ground, thus inventing the Pentecostal group.
If he would have waited a bit, he could have announced the Grand Opening of his Pentecostal church on TV!
Sorry, I should have mentioned that my understanding is somewhat unitarian as of now. Neither trinity nor oneness quiet does it for me. Oneness tries to counter the obvious illogicality of the trinity with an equally irrational system where one person is his own father and his own son (figure that out!).

I now firmly believe that the one God is the father, Jesus is his human son and the spirit is God the father's own essence/power which is his outreach into the world. It makes more sense to me.

“Oneness Christian Preacher”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7 Jun 15, 2013
Triunity and other polytheistic philosophies of the false church.
http://biblefolk.com/forum/topic/111

NDanger

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#8 Jun 15, 2013
Bro Steve Winter wrote:
Triunity and other polytheistic philosophies of the false church.
http://biblefolk.com/forum/topic/111
Great link!
QUITTNER

Markham, Canada

#9 Jun 16, 2013
6:42 am, June 16, 2013:
RE: What is your view on modalism (oneness pentecostal theology)?
..... The religion of Jesus, a Jew, was the Jewish religion. After Jesus was crucified many so-called "Christianities" were invented, and they are free to teach and change anything. Very likely they try to maximize the money intake by their specific theologies that they think will attract the maximum possible number of members.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#10 Jun 16, 2013
Steonaer wrote:
“The difficulties in the study of the infinite arise because we attempt, with our finite minds, to discuss the infinite, assigning to it those properties which we give to the finite and limited...”- Galileo Galilei

"...the religion of Deism is superior to the Christian Religion....Its creed is pure, and sublimely simple. It believes in God, and there it rests." - Thomas Paine
little lamb

Rye, Australia

#11 Jun 16, 2013
Nah..don't buy it

Scripture states " there is only one God, and one mediator between God and men Jesus Christ.

' there is only one God the Father.

Jesus is the Son of god.,,

When Jesus went to the Temple of Jehovah, in Jerusalem, and threw out the money lenders..He said " You have made MY FATHER'S house a den of thieves.'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does God Hate? Fri Cujo 145
God has Granted Repentance that Leads to Life -... Fri Sheriff Joe 529 14
My Dream 1, part 1 and 2, the meaning? May 22 rickpilgrim 1
The People's Lounge (Mar '09) May 22 Roadie 4,441
Why should God bless America!? (Dec '15) May 22 RiccardoFire 199
According to the Bible, is anal sex between a m... (Oct '10) May 21 religiousnuts 191
News New figures show debt crises are growing across... May 19 nanoanomaly 1