Since: Aug 08

Somewhere in Ireland

#975 Mar 10, 2013
cvor wrote:
<quoted text>
For someone that stresses spelling so much you would think they would know when not to use capital letters.
Allen is really big on spelling. Apparently he gets a lot of tips on spelling and the use of rude words by reading scribblings on public toilet walls, so he knows a thing or two when it comes to that sort of thing. His talent doesn't stop there though, he can also, as he so often keeps reminding us, conjugate Greek verbs. Perhaps that's because he uses public toilets frequented by Greek immigrants. Who knows?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#976 Mar 10, 2013
"Leviticus was written by jewish priests. You can't be a jewish priest and be gay."

lol

Location hidden

#978 Mar 10, 2013
prince0fdarkness wrote:
WHO WAS THIS GOD?
- God was his father
- He was born in a cowshed.
- A human woman, a virgin, was his mother.
- His birth was prophesized by a star in the heavens.
- At a marriage ceremony, he performed the miracle of converting water into wine.
- He was powerless to perform miracles in his hometown.
- His followers were born-again through baptism in water.
- He rode triumphantly into a city on a donkey. Tradition records that the inhabitants waved palm leaves.
- He had 12 disciples.
- He was accused of licentious behavior.
- He was killed near the time of the Vernal Equinox, about MAR-21.
- He died "as a sacrifice for the sins of the world."
- He was hung on a tree, stake, or cross.
- After death, he descended into hell.
- On the third day after his death, he returned to life.
- The cave where he was laid was visited by three of his female followers.
- He later ascended to heaven.
- His titles: God made flesh. Savior of the world Son of God.
- He is "God made man," and equal to the Father.
- He will return in the last days.
- He will judge the human race at that time.
- Humans are separated from God by original sin. The godman's sacrificial death reunites the believer with God and atones for the original sin.
Did you guess Jesus Christ? Well, again you'd be WRONG!! HE WAS... OSIRIS-DIONYSUS, an Egyptian God that existed thousands of years before Christ allegedly came around
I guessed Jesus!!!!!!!!!!

Location hidden

#979 Mar 10, 2013
Lord Raglan's Hero Scale

http://tam-lin.org/abby/raglan.html

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#980 Mar 10, 2013
prince0fdarkness wrote:
WHO WAS THIS GOD?
deleted because it was stupid
Summary:

1. There is no evidence that Osiris/Dionysus rose bodily from the dead.

2. There was no idea of of a bodily resurrection in the Osiris/Dionysus myths but only mummification. Instead, Osiris/Dionysus became a god of the netherworld. As one put it, Osiris is not a dying god, but a dead god, always depicted as a deceased, mummified king. He may be "alive" in the spirit realm according to the myth, but this would have been true for anyone who died and had their body entombed. In fact, Egyptian religion had not concept of resurrection, only of immortality beyond the grave. These are two entirely different concepts [Lee Stroebel, The Case for the Real Jesus (Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 2007), 163, 177-78.

3. There is no evidence of a virgin birth in the Osiris/Dionysus myths.

4. Neither the Bible nor Christianity claims that Jesus was born on December 25th, so any parallels with ancient myths are completely inconsequential. This date was chosen by emperor Aurelian in the third century.

5. It is true that Dionysus/Bacchus came to be associated with wine-making and that worship of these gods involved "eating them", but the association is tied to drunken pagan ecstatic orgies and cannabalism common in ancient mystery religions that disappeared long before Jesus and Paul arrived on the scene. In other words, there is no "striking parallel" to Christ's miracle at the wedding at Cana or the celebration of communion in the Lord's Supper with the use of wine. Instead, the foundational parallels are to be found in the Jewish rite of the O.T. passover meal and God's provision of manna for Israel in their wilderness wanderings.

Tryggve Mettinger in the Riddle of the Resurrection sums it up best:

There is, as far as I am aware, no prima facie evidence that the death and resurrection of Jesus is a mythological construct, drawing on the myths and rites of the dying and rising gods of the surrounding world. While studied with profit against the background of Jewish resurrection belief, the faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus retains its unique character in the history of religions.[Tryggve Mettinger, The Riddle of the Resurrection - "Dying and Rising Gods" in the Ancient Near East (Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell International: 2001), 221.]

IN CONCLUSION, there is no historical evidence whatsoever that Christians borrowed from the teachings of the Isis, Osiris/Dionysus cult to make their claims about Jesus of Nazareth nor do any supposed parallels actually exist.

http://graceinthetriad.blogspot.com/2011/06/d...

Location hidden

#981 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Summary:
There is no evidence that Jesus rose from the dead. The point is that these types of STORIES are not uncommon. The christian myth is not ORIGINAL.

Location hidden

#982 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>

2. There was no idea of of a bodily resurrection in the Osiris/Dionysus myths but only mummification. Instead, Osiris/Dionysus became a god of the netherworld. As one put it, Osiris is not a dying god, but a dead god, always depicted as a deceased, mummified king. He may be "alive" in the spirit realm according to the myth, but this would have been true for anyone who died and had their body entombed. In fact, Egyptian religion had not concept of resurrection, only of immortality beyond the grave. These are two entirely different concepts [Lee Stroebel, The Case for the Real Jesus (Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 2007), 163, 177-78.
Point is there are similarities. The tooth fairy can have 2 wings...4 wings....comes from here come from there....

Location hidden

#983 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Summary:

There is no evidence of a virgin birth in the Jesus myth. The point is the CLAIM is in both myths.

Perhaps you should review the company your god keeps as the story is clearly not all that unique at all.

http://tam-lin.org/abby/raglan.html

Location hidden

#984 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>

4. Neither the Bible nor Christianity claims that Jesus was born on December 25th, so any parallels with ancient myths are completely inconsequential. This date was chosen by emperor Aurelian in the third century.
Christians hijacked December 25 from another religion that celebrated their god on that day.

Location hidden

#985 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>

5. It is true that Dionysus/Bacchus came to be associated with wine-making and that worship of these gods involved "eating them", but the association is tied to drunken pagan ecstatic orgies and cannabalism common in ancient mystery religions that disappeared long before Jesus and Paul arrived on the scene. In other words, there is no "striking parallel" to Christ's miracle at the wedding at Cana or the celebration of communion in the Lord's Supper with the use of wine. Instead, the foundational parallels are to be found in the Jewish rite of the O.T. passover meal and God's provision of manna for Israel in their wilderness wanderings.
Tryggve Mettinger in the Riddle of the Resurrection sums it up best:
There is, as far as I am aware, no prima facie evidence that the death and resurrection of Jesus is a mythological construct, drawing on the myths and rites of the dying and rising gods of the surrounding world. While studied with profit against the background of Jewish resurrection belief, the faith in the death and resurrection of Jesus retains its unique character in the history of religions.[Tryggve Mettinger, The Riddle of the Resurrection - "Dying and Rising Gods" in the Ancient Near East (Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell International: 2001), 221.]
IN CONCLUSION, there is no historical evidence whatsoever that Christians borrowed from the teachings of the Isis, Osiris/Dionysus cult to make their claims about Jesus of Nazareth nor do any supposed parallels actually exist.
http://graceinthetriad.blogspot.com/2011/06/d...
You completely evade the similar story arc, plot points, props, and common themes and instead split hairs. I'm sure we acknowledge the differences.....but the christian myth shares strikingly similar elements to other myths.
CWU

Tinley Park, IL

#986 Mar 10, 2013
“Religion is like a pair of shoes .... Find one that fits for you, but don't make me wear your shoes.” &#8213; George Carlin

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#987 Mar 10, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
But you're a liar. Satan is your father. You're a loser forever.
LOL. You're calling me a loser after telling me that your imaginary fairy tale god (which completely violates the entire premise of your religion - btw) is actually my father.

Seriously. What next? The boogey man under my bed is going to get me?

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#988 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Summary:
Ditto Jesus
The point is that, like the other features of ancient mythology, the Jesus myth has been shifted to line up with existing beliefs.

Location hidden

#990 Mar 10, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. You're calling me a loser after telling me that your imaginary fairy tale god (which completely violates the entire premise of your religion - btw) is actually my father.
Seriously. What next? The boogey man under my bed is going to get me?
Well - that is Satan-- right? So wait for it....

LMFAO

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#992 Mar 10, 2013
cvor wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence that Jesus rose from the dead. The point is that these types of STORIES are not uncommon. The christian myth is not ORIGINAL.
Sure there is...Doubting Thomas was proved wrong

Location hidden

#993 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there is...Doubting Thomas was proved wrong
Assertion without valid evidence. Using an unfounded claim to support another unfounded claim.

Care to prove your assertion about doubting thomas? I know you can't. You don't have the original writing ---- and you can't prove who wrote it -- or that they were telling the truth. It is no different than using a comic book to assert the existence of a superhero.

Location hidden

#995 Mar 10, 2013
NDanger....here is evidence of Darth Vader......

do you believe he really existed in a galaxy far far away?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FHdZHxDiqwQ/T0jtx_6...

Location hidden

#996 Mar 10, 2013
If not -- it would be wise to not use unsupported CLAIMS to prove other unsupported claims.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#997 Mar 10, 2013
Gays can be Christian, they just must not sleep with another man.
Truth Be Told

Anonymous Proxy

#998 Mar 10, 2013
cvor wrote:
<quoted text>
Assertion without valid evidence. Using an unfounded claim to support another unfounded claim.
Care to prove your assertion about doubting thomas? I know you can't. You don't have the original writing ---- and you can't prove who wrote it -- or that they were telling the truth. It is no different than using a comic book to assert the existence of a superhero.
I bet your mom was he first to know you were a fool. Original writings, now you thought that you could spew something you though obvious but you are wrong. We indeed do have the original Dead Sea scrolls, so you are just lame.

Comic books and telling the truth, yeah Darwin even tried to tell you idiots that what he wrote may not be true. Much of what is attributed to Darwin, he never wrote, said or theorized.

Perhaps when I was young and in school, I relied solely on the Bible, but like any student, you learn and utilize. Sorry Charlie, the original writing of the Bible is true every time that I use it and apply it.

Do you believe that 1+1 =2 and why? What ever you say becomes the answer to the truth in the Bible according to your mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Heathen's Home Page (Jun '13) 12 min janeebee 4,264
Are World Events Pointing to End Times (Aug '14) 27 min Mr Ironhart 2,399
Before The Big Bang 52 min susanblange 1,017
Keep Calm: It's All An Illusion 1 hr susanblange 16
How long is an age exactly? (Apr '12) 1 hr Seentheotherside 24
36 foot giant human skeleton prooves the bible ... (Nov '11) 1 hr Seentheotherside 16
God's Love Vs God's Wrath 1 hr Seentheotherside 105
For Atheist, Agnostics, Whoever... 2 hr Seentheotherside 360
The post count of Dollarsbill 3 hr COOTERDOG 1,108
More from around the web