How can a gay be a Christian??

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4711 May 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
3800 responses later and no one can justify with the bible how a gay can be a Christian, so Gays need to just admit that their lifestyle is not approved by God as and call it a day.
This thread is ridiculous as asking why a car can't drive under water or why a fish can't swim on the sand. They both go against their purpose just like, Homosexuality is just unnatural.
Jesus never said one word about homosexuality.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#4712 May 14, 2013
Disciple wrote:
3800 responses later and no one can justify with the bible how a gay can be a Christian, so Gays need to just admit that their lifestyle is not approved by God as and call it a day.
This thread is ridiculous as asking why a car can't drive under water or why a fish can't swim on the sand. They both go against their purpose just like, Homosexuality is just unnatural.
You'd be wrong about Homosexuality being unnatural.......because it exists in natural and it's not a lifestyle.......it's no different than being heterosexual!!!
Fremont Rose

San Jose, CA

#4714 May 14, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus never said one word about homosexuality.
Um, yes he did, liar and so did the RCC.

Was your mom gay?
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#4715 May 14, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus never said one word about homosexuality.
If Jesus was silent on a issue, that means he clearly wasn't for homosexuality either, so his fathers commands on the issue in Lev 18 still stands and HOMOSEXUALITY IS AN ABOMINATION.

He didn't speak against screwing animals either, but that doesn't make bestiality right either does it?

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4716 May 14, 2013
Ant wrote:
<quoted text>
If Jesus was silent on a issue, that means he clearly wasn't for homosexuality either, so his fathers commands on the issue in Lev 18 still stands and HOMOSEXUALITY IS AN ABOMINATION.
DOES THE BIBLE PROHIBIT HOMOSEXUALITY, by Rabbi Jacob Milgrom, Professor Emeritus of Biblical Studies at the University of California, Berkeley
Of course it does (Leviticus) 18: 22; 20: 13), but the prohibition is severely limited. First, it is addressed only to Israel, not to other nations. Second, compliance with this law is a condition for residing in the Holy Land, but is irrelevant outside it (see the closing exhortation, 18: 24-30). Third, it is limited to men; lesbianism is not prohibited. Thus it is incorrect to apply this prohibition on a universal scale.
Moreover, as pointed out by my erstwhile student, Dr. David Stewart, both occurrences of the prohibition (18: 22; 20: 13) contain the phrase "as one lies with a woman" (lit. "lyings a woman"), an idiom used only for illicit heterosexual unions. Thus one could argue that carnal relations are forbidden only if their correlated heterosexual unions would be in these lists. For example, the Bible lists the following prohibited relations: nephew-aunt, grandfather-granddaughter, and stepmother-stepson. Thus, according to this theory, nephew-uncle, grandfather-grandson, and stepfather-stepson are also forbidden. This implies that the homosexual prohibition does not cover all male-male liaisons, but only those within the limited circle of family. However, homosexual relations with unrelated males are neither prohibited nor penalized. Admittedly, more than two occurrences of the phrase "as one lies with a woman" (Gen. 49: 4; Lev. 20: 13)[mishkevey eeshah &#1502;&#1513;&#14 99;&#1489;&#1497; &#1488;&#1497;&#15 13;&#1492; -] are needed before accepting this argument as definitive.
As I mentioned above, in the entire list of forbidden sexual unions, there is no prohibition against lesbianism. Can it be that lesbianism did not exist in ancient times or that Scripture was unaware of its existence? Lesbianism existed and flourished, as attested in an old (pre-Israelite) Babylonian omen text (Texts from Cuneiform Sources 4, 194: XXIV 33') and in the work of the lesbian poet Sappho (born c. 612 BCE, during the time of the First Temple), who came from the island of Lesbos (hence "lesbian"). But, in the eyes of the Bible, there is a fundamental difference between the homosexual acts of men and women: in lesbianism there is no spilling of seed. Thus life is not symbolically lost, and it is for that reason, in my opinion, that lesbianism is not prohibited in the Bible.
Thus, from the Bible, we can infer the following: the female half of the world's homosexual population, lesbians, are not mentioned. Over ninety-nine percent of the remaining gays, namely non-Jews, are not addressed. This leaves the small number of Jewish gay men subject to this prohibition. To those who argue that the Bible enjoins homosexuality, a careful reading of the source text offers a fundamentally different view. While the Bible never applauds homosexuality, neither does it prohibit most people from engaging in it.
(LEVITICUS, pgs. 196-197, by Jacob Milgrom, 2004)
* Jacob Milgrom is Professor Emeritus of Biblical Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. The author of five scholarly books, including "Studies in Levitical Terminology" (1970), "Cult and Conscience: The Asham and the Priestly Doctrine of Repentence" (1976), "Numbers" (JPS Torah Commentary- 1990), and "Leviticus (Anchor Bible, 3 vols.,-1991-2001), and more than two hundred articles. He was named a fellow of the Guggenheim Foundation, a fellow of the Institute for Advanced Studies in Jerusalem, and a senior fellow of the Albright Institute of Archaeological Research. Now retired, he and his wife, Jo, live in Jerusalem (as of August 2001).

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#4717 May 14, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
It doesn't say it's not eternal.
"everlasting fire"
Matthew 25:41 (NKJV)
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand,'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Please know that “everlasting” is an English translation of the Greek word “ai&#333;nios.” And if you actually research the intrinsic meaning of this Greek word, you will find that it denotes a “limited duration” of time, as opposed to an “endless duration” thereof.

But then again (and with all due respect), since the doctrine of fear from the thought of burning forever in the “everlasting fire” has been repeatedly used to scare people into becoming believers, I have no good reason to think that you will investigate my claim, right?
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#4718 May 14, 2013
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please know that “everlasting” is an English translation of the Greek word “ai&#333;nios.” And if you actually research the intrinsic meaning of this Greek word, you will find that it denotes a “limited duration” of time, as opposed to an “endless duration” thereof.
But then again (and with all due respect), since the doctrine of fear from the thought of burning forever in the “everlasting fire” has been repeatedly used to scare people into becoming believers, I have no good reason to think that you will investigate my claim, right?
So You're saying what the heck?......You're going to bet against God?

You are hoping you only burn for a year or two, maybe ten years or only a hundred years?
Is that worth satisfying your aberrant inflamed desires for other men?
Fool.

Location hidden

#4719 May 14, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
So You're saying what the heck?......You're going to bet against God?
You are hoping you only burn for a year or two, maybe ten years or only a hundred years?
Is that worth satisfying your aberrant inflamed desires for other men?
Fool.
Perhaps, you were not aware that I am heterosexual male. At any rate, the doctrine of everlasting fire is a NT concept, rather than something that the God of Israel asserted.

By the way, I thought that Jesus taught those calling others a fool was in endanger of what you considered to be hell fire, right?
OKAY

Houston, TX

#4720 May 15, 2013
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Limited vs endless...

Hanging vs Electric chair...

So many choices, so little time...

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#4721 May 15, 2013
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Every English Bible confirms the translation as 'everlasting', I.E. NEVER ending. Are you saying all our Bibles are wrong and you are right?

Location hidden

#4722 May 15, 2013
OKAY wrote:
Limited vs endless...
Hanging vs Electric chair...
So many choices, so little time...
If I may very respectfully ask, "Do you think that there is a difference between being killed and being tortured forever?" If so, then why do you suppose the claim of endless torture is a NT concept, as opposed to being an OT concept?"

Location hidden

#4723 May 15, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
Every English Bible confirms the translation as 'everlasting', I.E. NEVER ending. Are you saying all our Bibles are wrong and you are right?
Please know that the word "everlasting" is an English translation of a Greek word "aionios." Thus, in order to discern what this Greek word means in the Greek language, you cannot use an English bible, right?

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#4724 May 15, 2013
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please know that the word "everlasting" is an English translation of a Greek word "aionios." Thus, in order to discern what this Greek word means in the Greek language, you cannot use an English bible, right?
I get it already. You are saying all our English Bibles are in error and you are right. Do you really believe that?

Location hidden

#4725 May 15, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
I get it already. You are saying all our English Bibles are in error and you are right. Do you really believe that?
Well, actually it was you (not I) who said that all English Bibles are in error and that I am right. At any rate, I am claiming that English Bibles cannot dictate what a Greek word means in the Greek language, regardless of what you believe, with all due respect.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#4726 May 15, 2013
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps, you were not aware that I am heterosexual male.
Yeah,...RIGHT!
Maybe you're fooling yourself, but you ain't fooling anybody else, Bruce.
gundee123 wrote:
At any rate, the doctrine of everlasting fire is a NT concept, rather than something that the God of Israel asserted.
By the way, I thought that Jesus taught those calling others a fool was in endanger of what you considered to be hell fire, right?
Really? You think everlasting hellfire is a new concept?

Do you jut parrot some cult of personality pastor or do you understand God's word?

Gehenna is the Hebrew gê-hinnom (Nehemiah 11:30), or the longer form gê-ben-hinnom (Joshua 15:8), and gê-benê-hinnom (2 Kings 23:10) "valley of the sons of Hinnom".
The Valley of Hinnom is south of Jerusalem and is now called Wadi er-rababi. It was notorious as the scene, in earlier days, of the horrible worship of Moloch. For this reason it was defiled by Josias (2 Kings 23:10), cursed by Jeremias (Jeremiah 7:31-33), and held in abomination by the Jews, who, accordingly, used the name of this valley to designate the abode of the damned (Targ. Jon., Gen., iii, 24; Henoch, c. xxvi).

And Christ adopted this usage of the term.
Besides Hades and Gehenna, we find in the New Testament many other names for the abode of the damned. It is called "lower hell" (Vulgate tartarus)(2 Peter 2:4), "abyss" (Luke 8:31 and elsewhere), "place of torments" (Luke 16:28), "pool of fire" (Revelation 19:20 and elsewhere), "furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:42, 50), "unquenchable fire" (Matthew 3:12, and elsewhere), "everlasting fire" (Matthew 18:8; 25:41; Jude 7), "exterior darkness" (Matthew 7:12; 22:13; 25:30), "mist" or "storm of darkness" (2 Peter 2:17; Jude 13).
Judge Rightly

San Jose, CA

#4727 May 15, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah,...RIGHT!
Maybe you're fooling yourself, but you ain't fooling anybody else, Bruce.
<quoted text>
Really? You think everlasting hellfire is a new concept?
Do you jut parrot some cult of personality pastor or do you understand God's word?
Gehenna is the Hebrew gê-hinnom (Nehemiah 11:30), or the longer form gê-ben-hinnom (Joshua 15:8), and gê-benê-hinnom (2 Kings 23:10) "valley of the sons of Hinnom".
The Valley of Hinnom is south of Jerusalem and is now called Wadi er-rababi. It was notorious as the scene, in earlier days, of the horrible worship of Moloch. For this reason it was defiled by Josias (2 Kings 23:10), cursed by Jeremias (Jeremiah 7:31-33), and held in abomination by the Jews, who, accordingly, used the name of this valley to designate the abode of the damned (Targ. Jon., Gen., iii, 24; Henoch, c. xxvi).
And Christ adopted this usage of the term.
Besides Hades and Gehenna, we find in the New Testament many other names for the abode of the damned. It is called "lower hell" (Vulgate tartarus)(2 Peter 2:4), "abyss" (Luke 8:31 and elsewhere), "place of torments" (Luke 16:28), "pool of fire" (Revelation 19:20 and elsewhere), "furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:42, 50), "unquenchable fire" (Matthew 3:12, and elsewhere), "everlasting fire" (Matthew 18:8; 25:41; Jude 7), "exterior darkness" (Matthew 7:12; 22:13; 25:30), "mist" or "storm of darkness" (2 Peter 2:17; Jude 13).
Excellent.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#4728 May 16, 2013
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, actually it was you (not I) who said that all English Bibles are in error and that I am right.
What a liar you are.
Thinking

Oxted, UK

#4729 May 16, 2013
Hello gundee, dumbbill doesn't do logic.

When he falls flat on his face again, he'll just call you a liar - something I have seen no evidence for, btw.
gundee123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, actually it was you (not I) who said that all English Bibles are in error and that I am right. At any rate, I am claiming that English Bibles cannot dictate what a Greek word means in the Greek language, regardless of what you believe, with all due respect.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#4730 May 16, 2013
Thinking wrote:
he'll just call you a liar
<quoted text>
Gasp! A liar defending a liar.

Have some Truth you will NEVER forget:

Revelation 21:8 (NKJV)
8 , and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#4732 May 16, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Gasp! A liar defending a liar.
Have some Truth you will NEVER forget:
Revelation 21:8 (NKJV)
8 , and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.
Do you know what the worst thing about you is?

You're boring.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Does God Hate? 19 hr Big Al 139
God has Granted Repentance that Leads to Life -... 20 hr Sheriff Joe 529 9
My Dream 1, part 1 and 2, the meaning? Tue rickpilgrim 1
The People's Lounge (Mar '09) Tue Roadie 4,441
Why should God bless America!? (Dec '15) Tue RiccardoFire 199
According to the Bible, is anal sex between a m... (Oct '10) May 21 religiousnuts 191
News New figures show debt crises are growing across... May 19 nanoanomaly 1