“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#3098 Apr 7, 2013
Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you read that the USA's laws are not biblically based?
There are many places that clearly show that the laws of this Country are NOT based on the bible nor religion in general.

No where in the Constitution is God, Jesus or any reference to the bible mentioned and in fact our founding fathers made it clear that this Country was NOT going to have a state religion!!!

If the U.S. was founded on the Christian religion, the Constitution would clearly say so--but it does not. Nowhere does the Constitution say: "The United States is a Christian Nation", or anything even close to that. In fact, the words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, Creator, Divine, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution-- not even once. Nowhere in the Constitution is religion mentioned, except in exclusionary terms. When the Founders wrote the nation's Constitution, they specified that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

(Article 6, section 3) This provision was radical in its day-- giving equal citizenship to believers and non-believers alike. They wanted to ensure that no religion could make the claim of being the official, national religion, such as England had.

Most of the Founders were Deists, which is to say they thought the universe had a creator, but that he does not concern himself with the daily lives of humans, and does not directly communicate with humans, either by revelation or by sacred books. They spoke often of God,(Nature's God or the God of Nature), but this was not the God of the bible. They did not deny that there was a person called Jesus, and praised him for his benevolent teachings, but they flatly denied his divinity. Some people speculate that if Charles Darwin had lived a century earlier, the Founding Fathers would have had a basis for accepting naturalistic origins of life, and they would have been atheists. We'll never know; but by reading their own writings, it's clear that most of them were opposed to the bible, and the teachings of Christianity in particular.
http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers...
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#3099 Apr 7, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>NorCal is happily married to a woman, legally.
I never questioned that.
He seems like a good fellow.

Nothing like a 'legal' marriage to a woman.
Specially if she knows which end of a shovel is the handle or maybe comes with a fishin boat and trailer.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3100 Apr 7, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
I never questioned that.
He seems like a good fellow.
Nothing like a 'legal' marriage to a woman.
Specially if she knows which end of a shovel is the handle or maybe comes with a fishin boat and trailer.
NorCal is a female, dear.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#3101 Apr 7, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>NorCal is a female, dear.
That must be lack-luster.
Kinda like goin to a wiener roast with buns and no hot-dogs.
Talk about losing the heat from the bonfire!
bummer.
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#3102 Apr 7, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>NorCal is a female, dear.
Which one knows the business end of a shovel?
Phoenix

Humble, TX

#3103 Apr 7, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>There are many places that clearly show that the laws of this Country are NOT based on the bible nor religion in general.

No where in the Constitution is God, Jesus or any reference to the bible mentioned and in fact our founding fathers made it clear that this Country was NOT going to have a state religion!!!

If the U.S. was founded on the Christian religion, the Constitution would clearly say so--but it does not. Nowhere does the Constitution say: "The United States is a Christian Nation", or anything even close to that. In fact, the words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, Creator, Divine, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution-- not even once. Nowhere in the Constitution is religion mentioned, except in exclusionary terms. When the Founders wrote the nation's Constitution, they specified that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States."

(Article 6, section 3) This provision was radical in its day-- giving equal citizenship to believers and non-believers alike. They wanted to ensure that no religion could make the claim of being the official, national religion, such as England had.

Most of the Founders were Deists, which is to say they thought the universe had a creator, but that he does not concern himself with the daily lives of humans, and does not directly communicate with humans, either by revelation or by sacred books. They spoke often of God,(Nature's God or the God of Nature), but this was not the God of the bible. They did not deny that there was a person called Jesus, and praised him for his benevolent teachings, but they flatly denied his divinity. Some people speculate that if Charles Darwin had lived a century earlier, the Founding Fathers would have had a basis for accepting naturalistic origins of life, and they would have been atheists. We'll never know; but by reading their own writings, it's clear that most of them were opposed to the bible, and the teachings of Christianity in particular.
Don't states mention God in their preambles?
Phoenix

Humble, TX

#3104 Apr 7, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>There are many places that clearly show that the laws of this Country are NOT based on the bible nor religion in general.

I don't believe the USA was created to be a Christian nation.

I do believe that Judaic Christian beliefs were also incorporated in the constitution and building of this nation to some extent.
Phoenix

Humble, TX

#3105 Apr 7, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>No, I believe the bible to be the words of mere mortal men who wanted to have the power to be Gods and wanted to control the masses!!!
I understand.

I however believe the bible to be the Word of God.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#3106 Apr 7, 2013
Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Massachusetts reference to the "Great Legislator of the Universe", refers to Billy Bulger, and if you don't believe it, his brother will kill you.

In almost all cases, states mention God in the preambles to their constitutions. Only a few do not. New Hampshire, Vermont, and Virginia do not have preambles. Tennessee's only mentions "Lord" in the context of dates. Oregon's preamble is decidedly neutral.
The use of the term "in the year of our Lord" is very common.
Many states mention God in sections that refer to religious freedom, but many of those refer to "Almighty God," which, by all objective standards, is an endorsement of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity (several of the religious freedom sections mention Christianity specifically).
A handful of states have provisions that deny elective office to anyone who does not believe in God. Some also prohibit non-believers from serving as witnesses in trials. These provisions are probably not enforceable. See Specific Denials for more detail.
The oaths of office codified in the various constitutions often include the closing statement, "So help me God." Several states allow an alternate statement such as "Under the pains and penalties of perjury." Several do not allow an alternate closing, and several have no such closing whatever.

#3107 Apr 7, 2013
Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of whether a State mentions God either in their Preamble or at the beginning of their Constitution does not mean that it makes laws according to the bible!!!

There is a separation of Church and State and no State can MANDATE that the Citizens of that State believe in God or even accept God......nor can they demand that those running for a political office need to believe in God!!!

So, what's your point in asking these questions? How do you define a "TRUE" or "REAL" Christian? Do you believe that the bible is the Word of God?

#3108 Apr 7, 2013
Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand.
I however believe the bible to be the Word of God.
That's your right, but your right does not mean that I must believe as you do!!!

Your bible also does not make the laws of this Country and can not dictate morals either.

Peace!

#3109 Apr 7, 2013
Phoenix wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe the USA was created to be a Christian nation.
I do believe that Judaic Christian beliefs were also incorporated in the constitution and building of this nation to some extent.
Well, regardless of what you believe, no Judaic Christian beliefs were incorporated into our Constitution.......however there are religious cultural art incorporated into certain Court Buildings!!!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#3110 Apr 8, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your right, but your right does not mean that I must believe as you do!!!
Your bible also does not make the laws of this Country and can not dictate morals either.
Peace!
Actually,you're wrong on one part.
The Bible does dictate morals but it is up to the individual to follow that sense of morality that is put forth and The Bible has indeed influenced laws in this country.
For example,"Thou Shalt Not Kill" murder is a capital offense and there is punishment that is enforced by law on those who violate that law.
"Thou Shalt Not Steal",stealing is a misdemeanor and sometimes its a felony,depending on the circumstances and where you live and,again,there is punishment that is enforced by law on those who violate that law.
Of course,the method of punishment is more civilized and modern.
Even though in some states we put murderers to death,however,we don't amputate hands as a method of punishment in this country for stealing.
Not everything in the Bible has been a means to make laws in this country but what influence it made to write some laws are commonly known as Criminal Law.
Unlike those Muslim countries in the Middle East,here in the states no one is required to worship and follow one particular religion.
We,as citizens of the free world,has the freedom to choose to believe what we want and worship how we want or not believe in any religion and not worship anything at all.

#3111 Apr 8, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does dictate morals but it is up to the individual to follow that sense of morality that is put forth and The Bible has indeed influenced laws in this country.
For example,"Thou Shalt Not Kill" murder is a capital offense and there is punishment that is enforced by law on those who violate that law.
"Thou Shalt Not Steal",stealing is a misdemeanor and sometimes its a felony,depending on the circumstances and where you live and,again,there is punishment that is enforced by law on those who violate that law.
Sorry, but your belief in that book you call the bible does NOT dictate morals or values to anyone except those who want it to......my morals and values do not come from the bible, nor does the bible dictate to me how I should live my life!!!

Our laws are also NOT guided or governed by the bible....they are guided by and governed by what society has decided based on years of experiences from other Countries.

Thou Shall Not Kill is a Commandment given by God, however there are many times in the bible where God commanded women, children and others to be murdered......but that's not why we have enacted laws against murder today. The same is true for not stealing.....and we try to enact punishments that fit the crime, but that doesn't always happen.......and just because those two examples are mentioned in the 10 Commandments, that doesn't mean that they influenced our laws strictly because they came from the bible.

From an article about What is the law:
We enact laws because we live around other people and need to understand that we just can't do what we want to do, when we want to do it!!!

If we did not live in a structured society with other people, laws would not be necessary. We would simply do as we please, with little regard for others. But ever since individuals began to associate with other people -- to live in society --laws have been the glue that has kept society together.

Even in a well-ordered society, people have disagreements and conflicts arise. The law must provide a way to resolve these disputes peacefully. If two people claim to own the same piece of property, we do not want the matter settled by a duel: we turn to the law and to institutions like the courts to decide who is the real owner and to make sure that the real owner's rights are respected.

In our society, laws are not only designed to govern our conduct: they are also intended to give effect to social policies. For example, some laws provide for benefits when workers are injured on the job, for health care, as well as for loans to students who otherwise might not be able to go to university.

Another goal of the law is fairness. This means that the law should recognize and protect certain basic individual rights and freedoms, such as liberty and equality. The law also serves to ensure that strong groups and individuals do not use their powerful positions in society to take unfair advantage of weaker individuals.

However, despite the best intentions, laws are sometimes created that people later recognize as being unjust or unfair. In a democratic society like Canada, laws are not carved in stone, but must reflect the changing needs of society. In a democracy, anyone who feels that a particular law is flawed has the right to speak out publicly and to seek to change the law by lawful means.
https://www.oas.org/juridico/mla/en/can/en_ca...

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#3112 Apr 8, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course,the method of punishment is more civilized and modern.
Even though in some states we put murderers to death,however,we don't amputate hands as a method of punishment in this country for stealing.
Not everything in the Bible has been a means to make laws in this country but what influence it made to write some laws are commonly known as Criminal Law.
Unlike those Muslim countries in the Middle East,here in the states no one is required to worship and follow one particular religion.
We,as citizens of the free world,has the freedom to choose to believe what we want and worship how we want or not believe in any religion and not worship anything at all.
Laws against murder and stealing are also laws in other countries that are not Christian nations at all.
In fact, when the Ten Commandments were written, there WAS NO Christianity at that time.

Location hidden

#3113 Apr 8, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Laws against murder and stealing are also laws in other countries that are not Christian nations at all.
In fact, when the Ten Commandments were written, there WAS NO Christianity at that time.
Just like there was no Catholicism at that time either and besides that,I wasn't talking solely of "Christian Law".
I was speaking of the influence thereof that it expresses and therefor indicates the foundation of Criminal Law in general.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#3114 Apr 8, 2013
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus limited His powers as God while He was in His incarnation. That means He did not know everything while in such a state.
It amazes me the nonsense crap you come up with when you have no answer.

Location hidden

#3115 Apr 8, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but your belief in that book you call the bible does NOT dictate morals or values to anyone except those who want it to......my morals and values do not come from the bible, nor does the bible dictate to me how I should live my life!!!
Our laws are also NOT guided or governed by the bible....they are guided by and governed by what society has decided based on years of experiences from other Countries.
Thou Shall Not Kill is a Commandment given by God, however there are many times in the bible where God commanded women, children and others to be murdered......but that's not why we have enacted laws against murder today. The same is true for not stealing.....and we try to enact punishments that fit the crime, but that doesn't always happen.......and just because those two examples are mentioned in the 10 Commandments, that doesn't mean that they influenced our laws strictly because they came from the bible.
From an article about What is the law:
We enact laws because we live around other people and need to understand that we just can't do what we want to do, when we want to do it!!!
If we did not live in a structured society with other people, laws would not be necessary. We would simply do as we please, with little regard for others. But ever since individuals began to associate with other people -- to live in society --laws have been the glue that has kept society together.
Even in a well-ordered society, people have disagreements and conflicts arise. The law must provide a way to resolve these disputes peacefully. If two people claim to own the same piece of property, we do not want the matter settled by a duel: we turn to the law and to institutions like the courts to decide who is the real owner and to make sure that the real owner's rights are respected.
In our society, laws are not only designed to govern our conduct: they are also intended to give effect to social policies. For example, some laws provide for benefits when workers are injured on the job, for health care, as well as for loans to students who otherwise might not be able to go to university.
Another goal of the law is fairness. This means that the law should recognize and protect certain basic individual rights and freedoms, such as liberty and equality. The law also serves to ensure that strong groups and individuals do not use their powerful positions in society to take unfair advantage of weaker individuals.
However, despite the best intentions, laws are sometimes created that people later recognize as being unjust or unfair. In a democratic society like Canada, laws are not carved in stone, but must reflect the changing needs of society. In a democracy, anyone who feels that a particular law is flawed has the right to speak out publicly and to seek to change the law by lawful means.
https://www.oas.org/juridico/mla/en/can/en_ca...
That is where you are wrong.
Take the conflict of carnal structure vs. religion out of the equation.
Humanity revolves around evolution and the desire to ascend one's self to be better,to improve.
Without the sense of morality to govern one's self and the maturity to accept responsibility,Humanity would be
self- destructive.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

#3116 Apr 8, 2013
Gary has resorted to cut and paste without giving the source.
Naughty, naughty Gary.

Location hidden

#3117 Apr 8, 2013
Nettiebelle wrote:
Gary has resorted to cut and paste without giving the source.
Naughty, naughty Gary.
I haven't cut nor pasted anything on this forum,Nettie.
Are you drunk or high on dope or something?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 9 min Justice League 3,380
LGBT in the Christian Forum 10 min dollarsbill 9
Would Jesus have attended a Gay Wedding? 11 min flame of truth 371
Bruce Jenner, super-freak 28 min dollarsbill 8
Before The Big Bang 32 min River Tam 3,774
Are World Events Pointing to End Times (Aug '14) 50 min dollarsbill 2,463
Jesus is comimg > GET READY < 58 min dollarsbill 10
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 4 hr truthandcommonsense 2,691
More from around the web