of 2
Next Last

“Troll Mod 666 GS”

Since: Oct 09

Leiden, Netherlands

#26 Oct 21, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard it's great. I know Curves has added them to their routine, too.
There are many Zumba youtubes I have been trying to memorize. Might be easier to just join the class at my fitness club, though.
I am not a big fan of work out and dance videos. I believe it is best to join a class so you will have an instructor there to make sure you learn and maintain proper posture and do not try attempt to do something that your body is not flexible enough to do. Also,the instructor is there for encouragement. I make videos sometimes for my
advanced students to give them some extra study at home if they are having problems perfecting a move. But,they already know the basics and know the importance of warming up and cooling down. A lot of beginners just want to get to the shimmies, waves and camels and be-damned the practical stuff.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#27 Oct 21, 2013
paganbirdkeeper666 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a big fan of work out and dance videos. I believe it is best to join a class so you will have an instructor there to make sure you learn and maintain proper posture and do not try attempt to do something that your body is not flexible enough to do. Also,the instructor is there for encouragement. I make videos sometimes for my
advanced students to give them some extra study at home if they are having problems perfecting a move. But,they already know the basics and know the importance of warming up and cooling down. A lot of beginners just want to get to the shimmies, waves and camels and be-damned the practical stuff.
Good advice, really. I'll check when I go into the club tomorrow and see when they offer Zumba.

Like with belly dancing, huh? Best to get the right posture with an instructor than my trying it on video.

Location hidden

#31 Oct 24, 2013
Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01...

Know the benefits

Physical activity doesn't need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live a healthier life.

For example, regular brisk walking can help you:

Maintain a healthy weight
Prevent or manage various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes
Strengthen your bones
Lift your mood
Improve your balance and coordination

The faster, farther and more frequently you walk, the greater the benefits.
Consider your technique
Image of woman using proper walking technique Proper walking technique

Turning your normal walk into a fitness stride requires good posture and purposeful movements. Ideally, here's how you'll look when you're walking:

Your head is up. You're looking forward, not at the ground.
Your neck, shoulders and back are relaxed, not stiffly upright.
You're swinging your arms freely with a slight bend in your elbows. A little pumping with your arms is OK.
Your stomach muscles are slightly tightened and your back is straight, not arched forward or backward.
You're walking smoothly, rolling your foot from heel to toe.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#32 Oct 24, 2013
I do Zumba sometimes, and I have three favorite songs that I dance to that will have you wringing wet! Whitney Houston's "I'm Every Woman", Jonathan Fritzen's "If You Want It" and "Feelin' The Groove"....To listen to those songs....
LoudTronix.me. Hope this link goes through for you Cookie.

Kale, uncooked mustard green, collard green, with a little bit of iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, a sprinkle of feta cheese, a few pieces of purple onion, a few tiny piece of roasted chicken or turkey breast and squeezed lemon-honey vinagret make a tastey salad....Yum :)

“Creole Coated!”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#33 Oct 24, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
NorCal game me this idea.
I am losing weight, albeit slowly. I wonder if that's age, or my not putting enough effort.
Anyone have some great diet food recipes or some super exercises you swear by? I LOVE dancing to songs...that's somewhat of a good exercise.
A tiny trick of mines..is to drink about a teaspoon of apple vinegar in an ounce or two of warm water before and after your meals (please use a straw)..

Location hidden

#34 Oct 25, 2013
Proud Sis wrote:
<quoted text>A tiny trick of mines..is to drink about a teaspoon of apple vinegar in an ounce or two of warm water before and after your meals (please use a straw)..
I've read that....why the straw?

“Creole Coated!”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#35 Oct 25, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read that....why the straw?
To avoid damage to your tooth enamel..
You can always start off with less vinegar to "require" the taste..and then gradually increase it. It works wonders for me.. I always do this before and after I eat anything..snacks..whatever...L et me know your results?
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#37 Oct 26, 2013
Punisher wrote:
- con't -
sees a lot of sprains and stress fractures when people start them and do too much. The learning curve can be steep depending on the type of "dance/exercise" and/or the instructor...too often in a gym setting the instructor is teaching towards the better students, or showing off their own prowess. The good ones teach to the beginners more than the show-offs.
There's an old exercise cliche - No pain, no gain. Thats a cliche that the truth of never gets explained. When you push the body it should be uncomfortable, but NOT painful! If there's real pain stop! Sore muscles are one thing, My legs are sore right now from yesterdays squat session - but its not real injury related pain.
Right now there are dozens and dozens of different and interesting exercise programs...many of them great, many of them not so much.
Oh back to diet. Cut out the carbs. Period. You dont need them. Carbs and their relation to our energy needs is way overblown. You cant force the body to use carbs - sugar - when its not necessary. The body doesn't store sugars as a ready supply of energy (carbo loading is myth, except for elite runners)- thats what the muscles are for. Protein in its basic chemical forms is the thing the body uses most. If for example, you're overweight, and you start eating a low calorie diet, and exercise at the same time...your body will store whatever you eat as fat, while cannibalizing your muscles (protein) for energy needs. Because the low cals trigger that metabolic response where the body thinks its starving so it reacts by storing all incoming foods as fat. So you're losing critical muscle mass (which will make you more tired) while putting on fat - so not the goal.
Well I think Ive gone on enough.
Basic rule; learn what works for you, as no one program works for all people. But dont get discouraged...if exercise has never been a major part of your life, its takes time for the adult to adjust to it...but once you hit that rhythm...its transcending...!
Make meal time enjoyable. taste your food. turn off tv, phone, computer. too many empty calories gobbled up, tasteless crap. Meal planning, shopping with a list, routine all help. setting a nice table even when dining alone. Dieting is all about treating ourselves better not punishment. As for carbs, moderation. I make a helluva good sandwich so giving up bread is inconceivable.
nc resident

Charlotte, NC

#38 Oct 26, 2013
My advice on getting healthy/ losing weight...Be Happy!
Punisher

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Oct 26, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT advice and more for my journal. I have learned that you need to eat more, but my thing it not eating the bulk at night. I try to stop by 6 pm. And then I add water so I feel full. I have heard I should be eating about 1200 calories a day...and that's really a lot compared to what I was eating.
I also heard that getting your metabolism up and then changing it to down and then up is good. When I now ride the stationary bike at the fitness club, I go 12.7 mph for about 5 minutes, then rev it up to 16.9 mph for about 3 minutes, and then slow it down.

They say if you keep your metabolism changing, you lose more weight. True, or wives' tales?

Thanks for the hint on the cravings. That is some great advice.

Hey, wanna go bicycle riding to raise awareness for homelessness and raise some money for shelters and foodbanks? Talk about a challenge.
Sorry I have not gotten back...I forgot about this thread.

Yes its good to raise your exercise intensity level up and down - its called intervals - which is getting a lot attention lately in the press and exercise research industry. Intervals are great. But they too can be over done. But you're not likely to do that.

Suggestion. Between the high and low do some strength exercises. Get off the bike and do push-ups, lift some weights - then back on the bike.(which makes it a kind of circuit training) Also do more higher sets. Do say, 5 mins at 12mph, then go to 15mph for only two mins, then drop down...then go back to the 12 for 7 mins, then 15mph for two mins...more of an up, up, down, up, up, up, down...sort of thing.

But I cant stress the strength training enough! Its really imperative especially for women...especially women in the western cultures who have been told to shy away from such manly things. Its a ridiculous meme.

BTW; You're really not bumping up/down your metabolism...thats sort of already set, and can only be changed over time. Thats why heavy people struggle with weight loss. There level is way down already and when they start restrictive diets without intense exercise the level drops more! Serious. The overweight/sedate body reacts negatively (metabolic wise) to exercise at the start, which can last some time - and causes the body to store more fat for later use. Especially carbs! Carbs have to converted to something useful as they are not useful in their "natural" state. And that means fat fr most people.(I'm avoiding all the techy terms on purpose)

Case in point, why are so many people who have active jobs - construction, etc - overweight? Or become overweight? Because their body has adjusted to exactly that energy need - and when they go home they likely do very little in the way of activity, they sit down watch TV and eat a lot of cr/p. And id they did exercise - after gaining weight - they will still add on the pounds till they go past that metabolic threshold and start to actually raise it again...

And that's the real trick for the overweight, especially the seriously obese like those we see on Worlds Biggest Loser, etc. They will lose weight for that period of time, but it doest mean they are out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, they are in more danger of a return of weight than ever before. That new lifestyle for them is now permanent! Unlike me, who can let my training lapse for a few months and return to it with little to no weight gain.(If I eat properly!)

When those folks leave the Resort, they have not usually up-ticked their metabolism, they have just gotten ahead of it! Its chasing them like a rabid dog, and a mere month or two of backsliding could wreck their gains/losses.

The human body is a crazy thing - its has an innate drive to survive no matter what it might do to itself...like consume its self. That's why we see those starving people of the world and wonder how they can even move, they're just bones...their body simply wont give up till it has to!
Punisher

Brooklyn, NY

#40 Oct 26, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
<quoted text>
If I may, Cookie,... I'll barge my 2-cents worth onto "Proud Sis's" helpful suggestion:
(Ahem,... If U read this, Sis, Please,... I'm not a raincloud....
Your suggestion is wonderful and I'm a health-nut of good intent!)
Raw apple cider vinegar, helps regulate blood sugar levels when taken before *starchy meals!(The "After Meals" suggestion is new to me.... Seems it'd ruin tasty after-glows?)
BUT,... every silver lining has a cloud! The acids in vinegar, while offering many health benefits, can also do serious damage,... like, it'll wear away the enamel on your teeth!...
There are ways to ensure that you get the full benefits of taking vinegar as a supplement without any of the drawbacks....
One protective measure is to only drink the diluted vinegar solution thru a straw, as Proud Sis suggests,... it'll help protect tooth enamel from the erosive affects of Apple Vinegar, Cookie,... i.e., provided that U swallow directly and not swish it around in the mouth....
I prefer putting Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (avoid all White Vs!) on my first-course salad along with Virgin Olive/Sesame Oil (see why below!) as a more palatable method!...
----------
*The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is known to help regulate your body’s insulin response to starchy foods. When you eat something with a high glycemic index,... like white bread or polished rice,... your body converts the starch into sugar....
High glycemic index foods produce a lot of sugar, so your pancreas sends out insulin to round up the extra sugar and store it. The more sugar in your system, the more insulin is needed, and it is possible to secrete so much that your liver cannot process it.... Vinegar helps slow up the insulin response,... an importance when dealing with sugar diabetes.
Precautions:
Dilute apple cider vinegar in a 1-to-10 concentration with juice, water or tea. This is important to keep the malic and acetic acids from burning your mouth and throat, as well as to protect your tooth enamel. Mix apple cider vinegar with olive oil for use as a salad dressing. The olive oil will both dilute the vinegar and coat your teeth, making a protective layer between your enamel and the acids. Always rinse your mouth and brush your teeth after consuming apple cider vinegar.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/529504-is-a...
A better way (IMO)... is to avoid those starchy (processed) foods that contain complex carbohydrates (simple carbs in most fruits and veggies are good and easy to assimilate!).
Sugars come in three molecular packages;
> Polysaccharides (extremely complex-bonded cells; bad and indigestible carcinogens!)
> Disaccharides (double-bond molecules; bad,... but tolerable in moderated amounts!)
> Monosaccharides (The GOOD SUGAR, and The ONLY and best kind necessary!)
The human body loves the simple sacchars (sugars) produced only in natural foods!
The MONOS are one-ringed molecular glucose,... which is much easier to assimilate and convert into blood sugar.... Consuming ONLY monosaccharides prevents diabetes,... among other (now common) crippling human maladies,... My Lady!
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-monosacchari...
Hardie!
Actually Har-Har- you have things a ittle backwards - its the complex carbs in natural foods that we should eat - not the simple ones in the processed foods.

Regular baked Potato = complex carb.
White bread = simple carbs.(even pasta now falls into this category - which should be off the avg dieters food-lists. pasta is a diet killer! Its been given too much industry driven hype as a healthy food!)

Apple = complex carb.
Apple sauce - simple carbs.

basic rule; is that if the body has to digest and break the food down to access the carbs/sugars that's the best choice. If the food has already been broken down - thru processing - its a bad choice. Thats why corn syrup is NOT equal to real raw sugars.
Punisher

Brooklyn, NY

#41 Oct 26, 2013
nc resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Make meal time enjoyable. taste your food. turn off tv, phone, computer. too many empty calories gobbled up, tasteless crap. Meal planning, shopping with a list, routine all help. setting a nice table even when dining alone. Dieting is all about treating ourselves better not punishment. As for carbs, moderation.

I make a helluva good sandwich so giving up bread is inconceivable.
Good points. Meal time should should be stop and recharge time, not another thing to pass thru on the way to something else. Even when eating solo! Stop and eat!

yeah I used to feel that way about bread. Good bread, not industrial bread. Good bread and good butter (unsalted grass fed cow butter!) is the food of the gods! LOL! But now I eat it so rarely I dont notice it, or miss it. Even my BLT's are now bread-less...lettuce wraps!

My carb treat are pretzels. Cant seem to live without them...Utz brand...I eat them when I need to munch like while prep'n dinner, etc. I do most of the meal prep in my household as I get home from work earlier than the wife. She takes that wheel on Fridays and weekends.
Punisher

Brooklyn, NY

#42 Oct 26, 2013
<quoted text>
That is a very interesting idea for a fusion. Martial arts moves would
be good too.
They might be, but they are tricky for the novice and intermediates - and not to be taught by a non-martial arts taught trainer. Same with boxing. Throwing a proper punch must be learned, its not natural (like pitch'n a baseball) A proper punch is subtle and requires discipline. I've been boxing since I was a teen and lost a fight and my dad got me lessons that lasted to this day. I've seen a lot of boxing-style classes (style being the operative word) and a lot of the teachers are doing their students a disservice. Three critical areas of potential aches and strains and even sprains. Elbow, from being snapped over and over (which leads to bicep and forearm issues) the whole of the complex shoulder region, and the pelvis/hip-lower back where the torso twists with great force, esp. if the student is improperly throwing a punch.

If you want to include these moves, go seek a trained pro for some instruction. Seriously. Especially martial arts kicks and such...which all have balancing issues.

Aside; IMO and lifelong experience, the average gyms are perhaps the worst places for people to learn how to exercise properly! Watching other members is about as helpful as a novice golfer going to a putt-putt course...or listening to their weekend warrior friend as how to swing a club.

The exercise industry is pumping out trainers and instructors at an alarming rate - where most the certifications are pretty useless. Even the higher rated ones like ACE and ACSM should be viewed carefully as qualifying a trainer/instructor...as they like too many are simply test driven, and one need not take any real practical classes/instruction to pass them. They might be part of a package Lesson deal but one need not take them to take the tests. I'm not dismissing them or those certified by them, but the rate by which the industry is making a profit off these "students" is at a critical stage.

Add that there are now all these non-certified required new modalities and regimes popping up every few months...and the old adage "Buyer Beware" has never been more pertinent...

(BTW I'm in no way casting that net towards you...just say'n this to everyone reading.)
Punisher

Brooklyn, NY

#43 Oct 26, 2013
Oops!- pitching a baseball is NOT natural. It might seem like I said it was...but that's not what I meant. Its not natural like a properly thrown punch is not natural. The shift from an improperly thrown punch to a proper one is subtle but critical.
Punisher

Brooklyn, NY

#44 Oct 26, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm so with you on this as my last post indicates.

Isn't that the truth...damn the practical stuff.(Rather American in attitude as well!) The basics are SOOOOO important. In fact, IMO they are the whole thing! Without the basics you got nothing but something that makes you sweat a little and maybe tones you up a little. But its the basics that cement it all together and make it work and help the individual take it with them thru life. How many times have we heard about elite athletes focusing on the basics and re-charging their careers, making a comeback or beating back the new-kids...?!?!?!

Basics are THE key!

I used to be a trainer, back when it wasn't the "latest thing" to be - and I knew immediately if a student/client was gonna make-it, would be a tough one to wrangle, or would be a good one - by how they accepted and responded to my "basics" training. Simple thing like a push-up needs to be taught to most adults as they improperly learned how-to in their grade school gym class. Picking up a weight, finding ones center of balance, properly shifting ones weight and remaining stable, properly extending to reach, to whatever...modern Western adults are clueless in most cases as how-to move their bodies. Watch the avg adult pick something up and see how many strain or then reach for their lower back...!

Which is now where I can bring up Religion! LOL! Nah, I wont, but lets just say the Westerns mind-set - derived from Xtian morality and hate of the flesh - is where the mind and body disconnected a few centuries ago and is to blame. And its not really changed.

One of things that exampled this disconnect for me was when I visited a friend in Japan many moons ago and one day watched as about 30 seniors went thru a Qi-Gong/Tai Chi regimen. They were standing on one foot, they were pivoting off one foot, spinning and squatting and all sorts of things the avg Western (American for the most part) senior would fall over from doing! All because of the Western mind-body disconnect! Especially that disconnect with the bodies power house of the core center - the hips/pelvis, abdomen region - where the evil genitals reside.

Keep up the good work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 3 min 15th Dalai Lama 2,425
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 33 min 15th Dalai Lama 9,555
2000 Year old TOMB OF JESUS and no one speaks a... 1 hr Jesus is 8
Design, Nowhere Evident 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 502
PAUL OUR FATHER . 1Cor 4: 15 (Feb '16) 1 hr Jesus is 96
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 2 hr I love Jesus 20,514
A God Who Disagrees With The Data 2 hr messianic114 453
More from around the web