Diet and Exercise
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1 Oct 19, 2013
NorCal game me this idea.

I am losing weight, albeit slowly. I wonder if that's age, or my not putting enough effort.

Anyone have some great diet food recipes or some super exercises you swear by? I LOVE dancing to songs...that's somewhat of a good exercise.

Location hidden

#2 Oct 20, 2013
Walking is really good for you. And it seems to be the number one choice of persons who are over weight to start with to lost weight. Swimming is also another one.

Location hidden

#4 Oct 21, 2013
Thanks Hardie-Har-Har

I've been doing the Push Aways. That does help. And when eating out, all I get is a side salad and soup, or soup and a half-sandwich.

I'll keep in mind the "sex taste sensation" and Zumba sounds great!!!!

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#7 Oct 21, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
NorCal game me this idea.
I am losing weight, albeit slowly. I wonder if that's age, or my not putting enough effort.
Anyone have some great diet food recipes or some super exercises you swear by? I LOVE dancing to songs...that's somewhat of a good exercise.
Bicycle to Detroit.

“Bad but perfectly good at it. ”

Since: Oct 09

Leiden, Netherlands

#8 Oct 21, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
Thanks Hardie-Har-Har
I've been doing the Push Aways. That does help. And when eating out, all I get is a side salad and soup, or soup and a half-sandwich.
I just started teaching a ZUMBA class, you should def try it. I have people of all ages in my classes and Maddy is my assistant teacher.
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#10 Oct 21, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
Thanks Hardie-Har-Har
Sex taste...!
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#12 Oct 21, 2013
Cookie_Parker wrote:
Thanks Hardie-Har-Har
Ah, now this is my area of expertise. Fitness and nutrition. I've been training and competing in various athletic endeavors for three plus decades now.(marathons, rock climbing, a few triathlons, strength competitions - Crossfit being the newest of them, but I'm not at that fitness level any more - I now enjoy these new obstacle course events, Tough Mudders, Spartan runs, etc)

One thing most "new" dieters do is under-eat. Side salads are fine, but dont make it a habit, it only leaves you hungry and under-nourished. Restaurant/take-out salads are pretty nutritionally empty...home made and packed with good-stuff are another story. Undernourishment is the main cause of most diet fails. Not will-power, or even temptation - its because your starving, and your body "tells" you to forgo the diet food for something denser and satisfying...plus the lower calories triggers a metabolism response that makes your body store more fat...no matter that you might already have enough fat stores. That's one thing about the body it has no self-awareness of such things. There is no ideal fat storage level - its just keeps accumulating...

Another issue new dieters face is figuring out what and how much to eat. Thinking that they eat too much (thus are overweight) or eating little to none healthy nutritionally dense foods - so they go too extreme at the beginning and try to completely change their habits in one fell swoop. You need to really evaluate what you normally eat, see whats there and not, and make adjustments that are not extreme. If you dont eat enough veggies, you cant go from none to all veggies all the time. It will be boring, and be counter-productive.

One thing that always amazes people who first get to know me is they think from appearances that I eat twigs and sticks, and rabbit food all the time. When they see what I do eat, they are shocked. I eat well.

My main theme is to eat what I need, not what I want. Everything I eat I eat with intention. Nothing I eat is eaten without a purpose. For breakfast I eat the same thing everyday, except on some weekends and vacations...for lunch I limit it to a few choices, usually leftovers from last nights dinner - and dinner is always based around a protein and lots of veggies.

But the other thing is making it all taste good. You have to want to eat it, not have to eat it...cause if its lunch time and you're having a bad day, or even a good day and you open that lunch-bag, and you make a face at whats there...you're soon going to trade up for something tastier/satisfying...

Hint; if you're craving sweets, you need some protein. Eat some protein when you're craving those cookies.

As to exercise - woman MUST do strength training! No escaping it! Its the best and fastest way to losing weight, gaining muscle and keeping the weight off. Muscles are always burning calories...even when at rest. Don't worry about bulking up like a guy - if you want to do that get bigger, etc, it takes some serious efforts. Yes, at the beginning you might feel bigger, but that will pass as you lose weight and go back to a more natural shape.

Push-ups! Do them and learn to enjoy them! Dont expect to do a lot, do four, do three...but do them, and keep at it. Do three sets of three everyday till you can do more. Women especially need weight bearing exercise as it builds strong bones and helps shape the body.

Go to youtube and find some weight training instructionals. Learn the correct form, dont do more than you should...its about a steady climb, not a race to the top.

Dance exercise like Zumba is good - but many of them can be difficult for beginners who tend to do more than they should. My friend is a PT, and he sees a lot of sprains -
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#13 Oct 21, 2013
- con't -

sees a lot of sprains and stress fractures when people start them and do too much. The learning curve can be steep depending on the type of "dance/exercise" and/or the instructor...too often in a gym setting the instructor is teaching towards the better students, or showing off their own prowess. The good ones teach to the beginners more than the show-offs.

There's an old exercise cliche - No pain, no gain. Thats a cliche that the truth of never gets explained. When you push the body it should be uncomfortable, but NOT painful! If there's real pain stop! Sore muscles are one thing, My legs are sore right now from yesterdays squat session - but its not real injury related pain.

Right now there are dozens and dozens of different and interesting exercise programs...many of them great, many of them not so much.

Oh back to diet. Cut out the carbs. Period. You dont need them. Carbs and their relation to our energy needs is way overblown. You cant force the body to use carbs - sugar - when its not necessary. The body doesn't store sugars as a ready supply of energy (carbo loading is myth, except for elite runners)- thats what the muscles are for. Protein in its basic chemical forms is the thing the body uses most. If for example, you're overweight, and you start eating a low calorie diet, and exercise at the same time...your body will store whatever you eat as fat, while cannibalizing your muscles (protein) for energy needs. Because the low cals trigger that metabolic response where the body thinks its starving so it reacts by storing all incoming foods as fat. So you're losing critical muscle mass (which will make you more tired) while putting on fat - so not the goal.

Well I think Ive gone on enough.

Basic rule; learn what works for you, as no one program works for all people. But dont get discouraged...if exercise has never been a major part of your life, its takes time for the adult to adjust to it...but once you hit that rhythm...its transcending...!
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#14 Oct 21, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a great moonshot, paganbirdkeeper666,... I hope it flies!
My gal Zumbas 3-times a week.... Along with yoga and walking it keeps here fit and trim,... most important, she loves doin' it!
... That means she'll stick with it.
I volunteered to make some video for her teacher (whose pic is displayed on the video),... and I tried it, but couldn't keep the pace....
Besides,... all those bobbin' boobs made me dizzy turned on.(lol)
Since U R starting a class I'm linking U to the video to view....
U will notice there's one man (in green shirt);
... Hmm,..guess who?
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
Hardie-Har-Har!
I'm a decent dancer...Irish ancestry...drinking and dancing was all the adults did in my clan, but that Zumba is tough! My only way to last is to turn some of the moves into boxing moves...some of its the same footwork and upper body moves. Throw some punches, shadow box...

Good job!
Punisher

Tuckahoe, NY

#15 Oct 21, 2013
One of the problems in the US concerning our relationship with food and eating - is that "we've" made eating into a Fun event! Or so we're told by how food is shilled on TV, etc...

Commercials make it out that eating should be fun, and that what we eat should be the best damn thing we ever ate and taste like paradise in our mouths.

As a culture we've made eating not something we do to maintain our health - but a form of entertainment. And a form of entertainment that should be at the ready 24/7. Pop it in the microwave and viola! Hell skip the micro, just rip open this special package and here's a three course meal!

basic food advert; "Mom, no time to make dinner from shuttling the kids all around and doing all that other inane stuff - no problem, not only can you eat in three minutes but its gonna blow your taste-buds away and be super jazzy fun too!"

"What the kids wont eat that real food you prepared? No problem, here's a box of flavored shredded cardboard made into the shape of a superhero!"

Eating is not a form of entertainment, nor should it be all fun and games - its something to do to nourish the body, not dazzle your taste-buds with artificial flavorings, slat and sugars.

Real food beats processed food all the time. Once you get yourself off a processed food diet, and prepare your meals with real foods in their natural state you will not go back.

And prep'n ones meals is super critical to all people seeking to lose weight, change their habits, etc...not only do you take control of the food intake, you start to see the prep time as important to your mental well-being.

Plus its a great lesson for the kids. To see what real food is, and how to prep it...how to take care of oneself and not just reach for a box/container that is prepared by a company that doesn't give a hamster nut hair for your well being - even if they're named "Moms", or have some long past reputation for quality.(Stouffers, Marie Callenders, Progresso, Swanson, etc...all cr/p! in a box or can!)

Food is not a form of entertainment, eating is not a special event that should be celebrated with whistles and bells or toys...! Not every meal should be a taste-bud sensation, or some form of seduction for the finicky, most times it should just be a meal of needed nutrition!

Diatribe done...for now...lol!

Location hidden

#16 Oct 21, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
<quoted text>
Cookie,
From what you say,... you'll do ok on your weight control plan.
Do follow Dr. Chopra's "six taste sensations" eating plan!... it's a great trick and I've managed to control my weight easier!
The idea is that if, at each meal, you satisfy all six tastes, then your cravings to snack are greatly diminished in between meals.... If, say, you fail to satisfy your salty or sweet taste at mealtime, then those unsatisfied taste buds will begin to nag at you in between meals and you reach for the chips or the cookies.
That was exactly what my problem was in the main... IBM-snackin'!
... esp if U stare at the boob-tube and are subjected to all the snack food ads; ... that's a sure way to activate those taste buds!
Another tip that helped me greatly (esp for good digestion!),...
"NEVER MIX CARBOS WITH PROTEINS!!" ...
I was a diehard steak-and-potato man, and other C-P mixed foods!
That is what causes much indigestion and weight gain....
The science behind the rule is based on the fact that all carbs require an ALKALINE-BASED stomach digestive juice; ... whereas,
all proteins require an ACID-BASED digestive juice.... Well now,
as any chemist will tell you,... "acid and alkaline cancel each other out!" They neutralize each other in the stomach when you are eating both kinds of foods at the same meal!... the food sits there, undigested!
The sure result will be, Indigestion and its accompanied problems!
Your taste buds (they're spoiled brats!) work along with your appetite-control center in the brain stem, and your glandular sys,
to determine what type of digestive juices your alimentary canal requires,... based on what foods you shove down the gullet!...
Eat a bite of potato or pasta or bread or, or, or,...(any carb), and your taste sense sends a signal for your stomach to produce and alkaline-base digestive juice!...
Your next bite is say, a piece of meat, or egg, or some dairy, or, or, or,...(any protein)... well your digestive-juice controller says,... "Uhh,... cancel that alkaline-juice order, guys,... now we need to give the stomach a shot of acid-juices for protein!"
And back and forth we go with out multi-course dining (bad) habits!
That's why the maker of "Alka-Seltzer" is a good stock to buy!...
Indigestion, in America esp, causes major health and weight probs,... and much of it could be solved by not mixing the Cs & Ps when we eat!
That trick really saved my life and its good quality, Cookie!...
Now I only eat one or the other (C or P) at all my meals!...
Sorry if I bore you with this diatride,... but I hope it helps!
Hardie!
This is all such great advice. It's going in my diet/exercise journal. You are SUCH a big help, Hardie-Har-Har..thanks.

Location hidden

#17 Oct 21, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Bicycle to Detroit.
LOL!!

Well, Cedar Falls, Iowa, and possibly NE next year. If a get an earlier enough start and keep up the conditioning I have been doing, I'll try Albuquerque. I'm still trying to copy the sandbur removal for the tires. AND find thicker tires, as well.

Location hidden

#18 Oct 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Sex taste...!
LOL!!!!

Darn my mind wanderings...;)

Location hidden

#19 Oct 21, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
PS to Cookie:
I went all the way and became a Certified Natural Hygienist, dedicated to avid promo of good health!
When people ask me if I worship a god,... I say,
"Yes!" ...
"What god do you worship?", they'll ask....
"YAWYE", I reply!
"You mean Yahweh?", they think to correct me....
I say, "Nope!... Y-A-W-Y-E!... YAWYE!...
It stands for,... You Are What You Eat!" ...
and YAWYE is the good god that I now worship!
It's on my business card, and causes much inquiry!
Hardie-Har-Har!
Now THAT is true. NOTHING makes me feel more full and better (except for the occasional bloating, of course) than fresh veggies and fruits.

Location hidden

#20 Oct 21, 2013
paganbirdkeeper666 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just started teaching a ZUMBA class, you should def try it. I have people of all ages in my classes and Maddy is my assistant teacher.
I've heard it's great. I know Curves has added them to their routine, too.

There are many Zumba youtubes I have been trying to memorize. Might be easier to just join the class at my fitness club, though.

Location hidden

#21 Oct 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, now this is my area of expertise. Fitness and nutrition. I've been training and competing in various athletic endeavors for three plus decades now.(marathons, rock climbing, a few triathlons, strength competitions - Crossfit being the newest of them, but I'm not at that fitness level any more - I now enjoy these new obstacle course events, Tough Mudders, Spartan runs, etc)
One thing most "new" dieters do is under-eat. Side salads are fine, but dont make it a habit, it only leaves you hungry and under-nourished.-
GREAT advice and more for my journal. I have learned that you need to eat more, but my thing it not eating the bulk at night. I try to stop by 6 pm. And then I add water so I feel full. I have heard I should be eating about 1200 calories a day...and that's really a lot compared to what I was eating.

I also heard that getting your metabolism up and then changing it to down and then up is good. When I now ride the stationary bike at the fitness club, I go 12.7 mph for about 5 minutes, then rev it up to 16.9 mph for about 3 minutes, and then slow it down. They say if you keep your metabolism changing, you lose more weight. True, or wives' tales?

Thanks for the hint on the cravings. That is some great advice.

Hey, wanna go bicycle riding to raise awareness for homelessness and raise some money for shelters and foodbanks? Talk about a challenge.

Location hidden

#22 Oct 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
- con't -
sees a lot of sprains and stress fractures when people start them and do too much. The learning curve can be steep depending on the type of "dance/exercise" and/or the instructor...too often in a gym setting the instructor is teaching towards the better students, or showing off their own prowess. The good ones teach to the beginners more than the show-offs.
There's an old exercise cliche - No pain, no gain. Thats a cliche that the truth of never gets explained. When you push the body it should be uncomfortable, but NOT painful! If there's real pain stop! Sore muscles are one thing, My legs are sore right now from yesterdays squat session - but its not real injury related pain.
Right now there are dozens and dozens of different and interesting exercise programs...many of them great, many of them not so much.
Oh back to diet. Cut out the carbs. Period. You dont need them. Carbs and their relation to our energy needs is way overblown. You cant force the body to use carbs - sugar - when its not necessary. The body doesn't store sugars as a ready supply of energy (carbo loading is myth, except for elite runners)- thats what the muscles are for. Protein in its basic chemical forms is the thing the body uses most. If for example, you're overweight, and you start eating a low calorie diet, and exercise at the same time...your body will store whatever you eat as fat, while cannibalizing your muscles (protein) for energy needs. Because the low cals trigger that metabolic response where the body thinks its starving so it reacts by storing all incoming foods as fat. So you're losing critical muscle mass (which will make you more tired) while putting on fat - so not the goal.
Well I think Ive gone on enough.
Basic rule; learn what works for you, as no one program works for all people. But dont get discouraged...if exercise has never been a major part of your life, its takes time for the adult to adjust to it...but once you hit that rhythm...its transcending...!
I think I was in returning to college when the No Pain No Gain thing fell through. I want to push myself to a few more reps or more weight or longer on the bike/treadmill, but not to the point I hurt myself. I can't afford that at my age.

Thanks for the advice on the diet, exercise and protein versus carbs. I have a weakness for carbs and unless I am out of the craving, I won't lose weight. I've been on cutting down on them for a while, but the letting them go sounds good.

I have exercised off and on. I am active, but that doesn't mean I exercise. Thanks for the pointers...and the words of gentle encouragement.

Location hidden

#23 Oct 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
One of the problems in the US concerning our relationship with food and eating - is that "we've" made eating into a Fun event! Or so we're told by how food is shilled on TV, etc...
Commercials make it out that eating should be fun, and that what we eat should be the best damn thing we ever ate and taste like paradise in our mouths.
As a culture we've made eating not something we do to maintain our health - but a form of entertainment. And a form of entertainment that should be at the ready 24/7. Pop it in the microwave and viola! Hell skip the micro, just rip open this special package and here's a three course meal!
basic food advert; "Mom, no time to make dinner from shuttling the kids all around and doing all that other inane stuff - no problem, not only can you eat in three minutes but its gonna blow your taste-buds away and be super jazzy fun too!"
"What the kids wont eat that real food you prepared? No problem, here's a box of flavored shredded cardboard made into the shape of a superhero!"
Eating is not a form of entertainment, nor should it be all fun and games - its something to do to nourish the body, not dazzle your taste-buds with artificial flavorings, slat and sugars.
Real food beats processed food all the time. Once you get yourself off a processed food diet, and prepare your meals with real foods in their natural state you will not go back.
And prep'n ones meals is super critical to all people seeking to lose weight, change their habits, etc...not only do you take control of the food intake, you start to see the prep time as important to your mental well-being.
Plus its a great lesson for the kids. To see what real food is, and how to prep it...how to take care of oneself and not just reach for a box/container that is prepared by a company that doesn't give a hamster nut hair for your well being - even if they're named "Moms", or have some long past reputation for quality.(Stouffers, Marie Callenders, Progresso, Swanson, etc...all cr/p! in a box or can!)
Food is not a form of entertainment, eating is not a special event that should be celebrated with whistles and bells or toys...! Not every meal should be a taste-bud sensation, or some form of seduction for the finicky, most times it should just be a meal of needed nutrition!
Diatribe done...for now...lol!
Really true. THanks...

Leiden, Netherlands

#24 Oct 21, 2013
Hardie-Har-Har wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a great moonshot, paganbirdkeeper666,... I hope it flies!
My gal Zumbas 3-times a week.... Along with yoga and walking it keeps here fit and trim,... most important, she loves doin' it!
... That means she'll stick with it.
I volunteered to make some video for her teacher (whose pic is displayed on the video),... and I tried it, but couldn't keep the pace....
Besides,... all those bobbin' boobs made me dizzy turned on.(lol)
Since U R starting a class I'm linking U to the video to view....
U will notice there's one man (in green shirt);
... Hmm,..guess who?
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...
Hardie-Har-Har!
Oh it will fly. I have been a dance instructor for yrs and have studied dance since I was a kid. Started with ballet,then modern dance and then belly dance. The Zumba class is just another exp. to offer my students.

That is a nice class your gal teaches. You seemed to be having fun too but then you vanished.

This is one of my belly dance classes.
http://youtu.be/f_jmo-0LRxc

Leiden, Netherlands

#25 Oct 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a decent dancer...Irish ancestry...drinking and dancing was all the adults did in my clan, but that Zumba is tough! My only way to last is to turn some of the moves into boxing moves...some of its the same footwork and upper body moves. Throw some punches, shadow box...
Good job!
That is a very interesting idea for a fusion. Martial arts moves would
be good too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 7 min messianic114 8,260
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 18 min 10uhsee 1,344
Who else wants to go back and stop the fall of ... 32 min Blodewedd 42
Evidence Against God 1 hr rog 3,828
+++++++++++ THE SECRET to IMMORTALITY +++++++++++ (Nov '14) 1 hr Atheistgirl 31
A God Who Disagrees With The Data 1 hr Blodewedd 170
Spirit bodies. 2 hr little lamb 25
Why do you really believe in a god? 2 hr Big Al 621
More from around the web