Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#4 Jun 1, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
Christianity scares you because it is inerrant and true. If it were not so, then it would not bother you.
THis is bizarre logic and self-serving nonsense you've been taught by pastors and Bible teachers, etc.

Most of us who argue against your brand of immature, fundamentalist Christianity are not "scared"at all, but puzzled at the irrational silliness that you guys believe.

Just logically, why would something "scare us" if it is inerrant and true?

If Christianity WERE obviously inerrant and true, wouldn't it CONVERT us, effortlessly PERSUADE us, win everyone over? And yet it DOESN'T, does it? And the answer your pastors give you is "Oh, well, they're scared, that's why!"

You should go back and ask Pastor Billy Bob for a much better answer.:)
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#5 Jun 1, 2013
End of Times wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with her. You sound very scared.
He doesn't sound "scared" at all. His post is very matter of fact and rational, whether or not you believe what he says.

Why would you even say that, unless it's the only way you can come up with to TAUNT non-Christians who aren't buying your religion?

And why would that taunt ("Nyah, nyah, you're SCARED! so THERE!") make anyone change their minds and reconsider the value of Christianity?

Seems like it would likely have just the OPPOSITE effect, wouldn't it?

Roland_Deschain

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

UK

#9 Jun 1, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
Christianity scares you because it is inerrant and true. If it were not so, then it would not bother you. I am not talking about the religion, man-made, I am talking about the transformation into Christ's fold and the caterpillar-butterfly state from a sinner to the righteousness of Christ in Jesus. I am talking about being born into the family of God, no longer servants but children of the most high. Being alive.
Genesis 3: 4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
Well, God told the truth, when man ate he died and died to his spirit and satan and his flesh ruled man. Adam had walked with God and communed with him for years.
Genesis 3: 10 He answered,“I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
Why was Adam suddenly afraid? Because, Adam and Eve had died. You all are afraid and scared because you are the living dead.
John 3:3-10
3 Jesus replied,“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.
You see, you are afraid because no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are first BORN AGAIN.
Well gosh darn there Wilbur, has Uncle Festus been playing with your pee pee again?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#11 Jun 1, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>What makes you think that we were taught by pastors and Bible teachers?
Because you all say the same clichéd things and they are readily evidence in Christian pastoral literature, TV preachers, etc. Are you trying to tell me you developed your complete fundamentalist Christian dogma and mindset on your OWN, by osmosis?
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Were you taught atheism by satanic teachers and Voodoo practitioners?
I'm not an atheist. One can certainly think your brand of fundamentalist Christianity is nonsense -- i.e NON sense -- and not be an atheist. THAT would tend to scare YOU, I would think.
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see by your post that Christianity, God, death and eternal salvation scares you.
Uh yeah, my knees are knocking uncontrollably. LOL (((rolls eyes)))

You need a much better taunt. Get on your knees and ask Jesus for one. You are bound to receive a better insult to hurl at us, if you ask sincerely, right?
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>God's word being inerrant and true would and does in fact scare you.
"God's word" is chock full of contradictions, errors of fact, history, geography and science. Aside from that, yeah, I guess you might claim it is "inerrant," assuming you didn't give a sweet fig what words actually MEAN, right?
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text> If your logic made sense, then no one would ever smoke cigarettes, have unprotected sex, do drugs, drink alcohol, speed or engage in gay sex. yet, we know that many continue in these risky behaviors despite all the inerrant truths concerning all of these.
I suspect a lot of you Real Christian™ engage in the above actions quite a bit.
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text> Why should we try to stop you, God can but He won't.
Well, that makes sense since your God is a psycho MONSTER by any rational standard.

See my new thread "BILLIONS of souls."
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text> We simply design to tell you the truth and the truth is that if you die in your sleep, without a savior, you will return to your master, satan in hell.
That truth scares you.
Your religious beliefs, as pathetic and self-serving as they are, are not "The Truth," but merely your opinions -- what you have been programmed to BELIEVE is "The Truth," by Pastor Billy Bob etc.

And your OPINIONS are all about disparaging others and making you and your friends think you are pat of a small, elite little clique who are right and will be forever rewarded, while everyone else is wrong and will be forever tortured for it.

Helps you get through the night, doesn't it? It's called "whistling past the graveyard" by psychologists.
Bud Longneck

Rock Island, IL

#12 Jun 1, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
Christianity scares you because it is inerrant and true. If it were not so, then it would not bother you. I am not talking about the religion, man-made, I am talking about the transformation into Christ's fold and the caterpillar-butterfly state from a sinner to the righteousness of Christ in Jesus. I am talking about being born into the family of God, no longer servants but children of the most high. Being alive.
Genesis 3: 4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
Well, God told the truth, when man ate he died and died to his spirit and satan and his flesh ruled man. Adam had walked with God and communed with him for years.
Genesis 3: 10 He answered,“I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
Why was Adam suddenly afraid? Because, Adam and Eve had died. You all are afraid and scared because you are the living dead.
3 Jesus replied,“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.
You see, you are afraid because no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are first BORN AGAIN.
Did you mean this as a joke? Please don't tell me that you where serious.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#13 Jun 1, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>I could talk to folks about Buddhism, Zen, Judaism, Hinduism, Confucianism and even Catholicism. The many I bring up Christ and Christianity the absoluteness scared them.
You mean their knees knock their faces go white with terror, they scream in horror, etc.?

Or do they just look puzzled and explain to you in detail why your beliefs make no sense to them?

I would think Buddhists in particular would be puzzled by fundie Christian nonsense. Buddhism is about a thousand years ahead of your religion in its understanding of suffering, compassion, love, enlightenment, etc. by comparison to Buddhism, your shallow American Protestant fundamentalist Christianity is at the back of the line of intelligent, thoughtful religions, back there with the crude medieval religions like Islam, your close cousin.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#14 Jun 1, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Yet, I see you as scared. Read your word.
taunt.....buying.......change their mind....reconsider......
I see you as angry and hateful (in a passive-aggressive, "God says this, not ME!") sort of way.

Read your words: "satanic teachers and Voodoo practitioners .... God, death and eternal salvation scares you..... foolish..... smoke cigarettes, have unprotected sex, do drugs, drink alcohol, speed or engage in gay sex [[[[[you just HAD to get that in there, didn't you, "Christian? What's on YOUR mind? Really! LOL]]]]]]....not here to convert you ....Don't care if you're a drunk or drug addict.....die in your sleep,......return to your master, satan in hell.

Gee, whatever happened to those good old "fruits of the spirit"?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#18 Jun 1, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
<quoted text>What is 1+1, 1+2, 1+3, 1+4. 2+3, 2+5, 2+6, 2+8, 2+10.......? WELL, what is it. A lot of people knowing that answer is just a lot of people who are learned.
I don't know if even YOU know what you're talking about here. LOL!

It's quite typical of Proty fundies to look down on people who are learned, isn't it? I mean, it's all ABOUT anti-intellectualism, your religion, isn't it?
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
<quoted text>As for Christianity, there is one God, one Jesus, one Holy Spirit and one salvation, so we all should speak the same language...What disturbs me is when professing Christians speak a different language.
Well, there are 30,000 different denominations in your religion, aren't there? Pretty smug of you to think that everyone within the umbrella of Christianity should believe in exactly the same way as you do, right?
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, no errors in the Bible, regarding facts, science, geography, history, truth, creation and salvation. You thinking so and providing no evidence is further evidence of your fear.
Sure, Pastor Billy Bob, whatever you say. LOL

Except, it's been known for 1600 years since the Bible was canonized that John and Mark have Jesus dying on DIFFERENT DAYS! Whatsamatter? Jesus can't get his own story right?

Genesis is pure bullshit as factual history and science. Never was a worldwide flood, never were two "first humans," nor could there have been, etc. etc. The two creation myths stitched together in Genesis don't agree, etc.
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would we go to your thread? You self promoting it is pathetic and sad.
Because I ask a question there that no Christian can answer and that dozens of you self-righteous Jesus Freaks have run from here on Topix in the past few years. But go ahead, stay away from the thread. NOW WHO'S SCARED!!!! LOL!
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a scared person who label God as a psycho monster.
Any being who would torture his children eternally without ceasing for not loving him enough or by the right name is one sick, demented motherfvcker, wouldn't you say? Good. Say hello to your psycho Jesus! Whatsamatter? Too SCARED to actually look him in his holy face and TELL HIM what he is?
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#19 Jun 1, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
I am not talking about the religion, man-made, I am talking about the transformation into Christ's fold and the caterpillar-butterfly state from a sinner to the righteousness of Christ in Jesus. I am talking about being born into the family of God, no longer servants but children of the most high. Being alive.
Well, if this is anything more than self-serving bullshit, you certainly are a PISS-POOR example of someone "alive in Christ," aren't you?

If it about what YOU"VE got and being LIKE YOU, I doubt anybody wants it. I sure don't. The thought that Jesus would want to be surrounded by hateful weasels like you for ALL ETERNITY chanting God-awful mega-church "praise songs" in his holy ears, day in and day out is just ludicrous.
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
Here is an excerpt from Bible scholar Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted," page 155:

In the Gospel of John, Chapter 3, Jesus has a famous conversation with Nicodemus in which He says, "You must be born again." The Greek word translated "born" actually has two meanings: it can mean not only "a second time" but also "from above." Whenever it is used elsewhere in John, it means "from above" (John 19:11,23). That is what Jesus appears to mean in John 3 when he speaks with Nicodemus: a person must be born from above in order to have eternal life in heaven above.

Nicodemus misunderstands, though, and thinks Jesus intends the other meaning of the word, that he has to be born a second time. "How I crawl back into my mother's womb?" he asks, out of some frustration. Jesus corrects him: he is not talking about a second physical birth, but a heavenly birth, from above.

This conversation with Nicodemus is predicated on the circumstance that a certain Greek word has two meanings (a double entendre). Absent the double entendre, the conversation makes little sense. The problem is this: Jesus and this Jewish leader in Jerusalem would not have been speaking Greek, but Aramaic.

But the Aramaic word for "from above" does not also mean "a second time." This is a double entendre that works only in Greek.

So it looks as though this conversation could not have happened — at least not as described in the Gospel of John.
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#22 Jun 2, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Poor little scared and angry person. Born-again need only have one meaning and that is the foolishness in your defense.
If it simply meant "from above" then it is sufficient and it is meant "a second time" it is still sufficient.
But, here you are scared and angry over something you claim could not have happened.
You seem unable to follow the point that Ehrman is making, namely that the pun that this passage with Nicodemus is built on (of being born twice) only exists in Greek, not in Aramaic, the language Jesus and Nicodemus would have been speaking.

In other words, 60+ years later, the various Greek authors of "John" made up the story and put words in Jesus' mouth in order to make their point.

Bible "inerrant?" How about MADE UP! LOL
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#23 Jun 2, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>1600? yet, you can not offer one thread of proof that John and Mark have Jesus dying on different days.
My thread of proof is Mark 14 and John 19.

From Bart Ehrman's "Jesus, Interrupted" pages 25-27

Jesus and his disciples have made a pilgrimage to Jerusalem for the Passover feast. In Mark 14:12, the disciples ask Jesus where they are to prepare the Passover meal for that evening. In other words, this is on the Day of Preparation for Passover. Jesus gives them instructions. They make the preparations, and when it is evening-the beginning of Passover day-they have the meal. It is a special meal indeed. Jesus takes the symbolic foods of the Passover and imbues them with yet more symbolic meaning. He takes the unleavened bread, breaks it, and says, "This is my body." By implication, his body must be broken for salvation. Then after supper he takes the cup of wine and says, "This is my blood of the covenant, that is poured out for many" (Mark 14:22-25), meaning that his own blood must be shed.

After the disciples eat the Passover meal they go out to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray. Judas Iscariot brings the troops and performs his act of betrayal. Jesus is taken to stand trial before the Jewish authorities. He spends the night in jail, and the next morning he is put on trial before the Roman governor, Pontius Pilate, who finds him guilty and condemns him to death by crucifixion. We are told that he is crucified that same day, at nine o'clock in the morning (Mark 15:25). Jesus, then, dies on the day of Passover, the morning after the Passover meal was eaten.

In the Gospel of John, Jesus goes to Jerusalem in the last week of his life to celebrate the Passover feast, and here, too, there is a last meal, a betrayal, a trial before Pilate, and the crucifixion. But it is striking that in John, at the beginning of the account, in contrast to Mark, the disciples do not ask Jesus where they are "to prepare the Passover." Consequently, he gives them no instructions for preparing the meal. They do eat a final supper together.

After the meal they go out. Jesus is betrayed by Judas, appears before the Jewish authorities, spends the night in jail, and is put on trial before Pontius Pilate, who finds him guilty and condemns him to be crucified. And we are told exactly when Pilate pronounces the sentence: "It was the Day of Preparation for the Passover; and it was about noon" (John 19:14).

On the Day of Preparation for the Passover? The day the lambs were slaughtered? How can that be? In Mark's Gospel, Jesus lived through that day, had his disciples prepare the Passover meal, and ate it with them before being arrested, taken to jail for the night, tried the next morning, and executed on the Passover day. But not in John. In John, Jesus dies a day earlier, on the Day of Preparation for the Passover.

And so the contradiction stands: in Mark, Jesus eats the Passover meal (Thursday night) and is crucified the following morning. In John, Jesus does not eat the Passover meal but is crucified on the day before the Passover meal was to be eaten.

end quote
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#25 Jun 2, 2013
Also, Stop-It-Now or JesusMyLord, or whatever name you decide to use today to agree with yourself (LOL!)...

I wonder if you understand that all the major mainstream Christian seminaries and divinity schools have long since adopted, and now teach, the Documentary Hypothesis, which says that the Pentateuch, the first five books of the Bible was NOT written by someone named "Moses", but by four other writers and an editor/compiler who lived and wrote HUNDREDS of years after Moses supposedly lived.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_tora1.h...

So this certainly doesn't point toward your Bible's "inerrancy," does it?
mztza

Mesa, AZ

#26 Jun 3, 2013
because they think by committing to GOD,
they will miss out and fear to leave their sinfulness on the lifestyle they have now
they'd have to give up being promiscuous
give up being drunk
give up drugs
give up foul language
give up friends with the same lifestyles
give up being tough
because thats all they know
who wants to lose their friends over GOD
the ones who won't have any respect for your decision
call you names, make fun of you
won't hang with you
peer pressure
just like you used to make fun of christians
these are the friends you care about,
being a believer, of our LORD
takes COURAGE, there is no place for cowards in being believers
being christians, have to endure redicule, harrasments, threats, discriminations, spit on, called vulgar names, called liars
to endure all of this takes courage
missionaries threaten, murdered, tortured to death, beheaded
they would tell you,
IT'S WORTH IT
because they didn't do it for themselves,
just like us here on this forum, just the same,
we're not afraid, to share the gospels, and it will not stop us never, so long as we have breath
we will continue to be GODS messingers, delivering
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#27 Jun 3, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>What makes you think that we were taught by pastors and Bible teachers? Were you taught atheism by satanic teachers and Voodoo practitioners?
I can see by your post that Christianity, God, death and eternal salvation scares you.
No, Christianity and God's word being inerrant and true would and does in fact scare you. Your logic is foolish. If your logic made sense, then no one would ever smoke cigarettes, have unprotected sex, do drugs, drink alcohol, speed or engage in gay sex. yet, we know that many continue in these risky behaviors despite all the inerrant truths concerning all of these.
We are not here to convert you or persuade you, that is your first fallacy. Don't even care if you choose to be a drunk or drug addict. Why should we try to stop you, God can but He won't. We simply design to tell you the truth and the truth is that if you die in your sleep, without a savior, you will return to your master, satan in hell.
That truth scares you.
You think you read the Bible and came to the same conclusions that took a few thousand years to work themselves out?

Yeah, okay...keep huffing...its too late now to stop...

By not believing in your silly God does not mean we serve your silly devil. Get some logic in that skull of yours ...
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#28 Jun 3, 2013
mztza wrote:
they will miss out and fear to leave their sinfulness on the lifestyle they have now
they'd have to give up being promiscuous
give up being drunk
give up drugs
give up foul language
give up friends with the same lifestyles
give up being tough
because thats all they know
won't hang with you
peer pressure
these are the friends you care about,
being christians, have to endure redicule, harrasments, threats, discriminations, spit on, called vulgar names, called liars
to endure all of this takes courage
they would tell you,
IT'S WORTH IT
we're not afraid, to share the gospels, and it will not stop us never, so long as we have breath
we will continue to be GODS messingers, delivering
they will miss out and fear to leave their sinfulness on the lifestyle they have now - WRONG!

they'd have to give up being promiscuous - WRONG.

give up being drunk - WRONG!

give up drugs - WRONG!

give up foul language - WRONG!

give up friends with the same lifestyles - WRONG!

give up being tough
because thats all they know - WRONG!

won't hang with you
peer pressure - WRONG!

these are the friends you care about,- WRONG!

to endure all of this takes courage - WRONG!

they would tell you,- WHO CARES?

IT'S WORTH IT

we're not afraid, to share the gospels, and it will not stop us never, so long as we have breath - GOOD FOR YOU! now pat yourself on the back, again, again. Pride goeth before the fall.

we will continue to be GODS messingers, delivering - insults.

Most of what you said above is why so many Xtians stay or keep claiming to be Xtians. Fear of others judgment and their own cowardice.

As for me, I dont give a hamsters sweat gland what others think about my atheism. I didnt become one to hang with anyone, good or bad. I hang with good people of all and no faith, all with morals that trend higher than most Fundy Xtians I have met.(not all, but most)

Fundy Xtians are nothing BUT cowards who love to hide behind their Bibles, making all sorts of high and mighty claims about being saved and on the side of their God. I have rarely met a rational Fundy American Xtian.
mztza

Mesa, AZ

#30 Jun 9, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
they will miss out and fear to leave their sinfulness on the lifestyle they have now - WRONG!
they'd have to give up being promiscuous - WRONG.
give up being drunk - WRONG!
give up drugs - WRONG!
give up foul language - WRONG!
give up friends with the same lifestyles - WRONG!
give up being tough
because thats all they know - WRONG!
won't hang with you
peer pressure - WRONG!
these are the friends you care about,- WRONG!
to endure all of this takes courage - WRONG!
they would tell you,- WHO CARES?
IT'S WORTH IT
we're not afraid, to share the gospels, and it will not stop us never, so long as we have breath - GOOD FOR YOU! now pat yourself on the back, again, again. Pride goeth before the fall.
we will continue to be GODS messingers, delivering - insults.
Most of what you said above is why so many Xtians stay or keep claiming to be Xtians. Fear of others judgment and their own cowardice.
As for me, I dont give a hamsters sweat gland what others think about my atheism. I didnt become one to hang with anyone, good or bad. I hang with good people of all and no faith, all with morals that trend higher than most Fundy Xtians I have met.(not all, but most)
Fundy Xtians are nothing BUT cowards who love to hide behind their Bibles, making all sorts of high and mighty claims about being saved and on the side of their God. I have rarely met a rational Fundy American Xtian.
i agree, to one point,
if said christian, continue in all that, and is a christian only one day of the week,
in reality, they are a phoney christian, just a show,
christians are who are true believers are 24-7 365 days by words and examples
but, also no believer can say
we are perfect, we also can be our own stumbling block,
thats why we as christians have to work on our walk,
no christians, can say this is how it's done, if thats something we can't resolve with in ourselves
as, as yourselves, how can you give advise, when you haven't been able to resolve it, yourself
we are the same, yet differet at the same time
you believe in the carnal world, christians believe in GOD
we both believe in something,
you believe in sarcasm
we believe in hope
you believe we're all liars
we believe that everybody has a chance
you believe in man
we believe in GOD
you believe in your own works
we believe in GODS works
you believe in mans word
we believe in the word of GOD you believe lies, especially your own
we believe in GODS truth
you see, at one time
i also was a non believer
and i see the differences
i was so lost, didn't even know it, until one day,
a message, was sent out by a messenger, delivered, accepted

Flying_Spaghetti _Monster

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#31 Jun 9, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
I love horror movies. Make it into a film and I'll watch. I'm thinking a cross between The Passion of the Christ and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Should be awesome!

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#32 Jun 9, 2013
Stop-It-Now_ wrote:
Christianity scares you because it is inerrant and true.
No, Christians scare us because they are repetitious, redundant, and repetitive.

And because irony and sarcasm are not in your purview.

Location hidden

#33 Jun 9, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>1) What makes you think that we were taught by pastors and Bible teachers? 2) Christianity and God's word being inerrant and true would and does in fact scare you. Your logic is foolish.
1) So, you were born knowing all about God, correct? Of course not. You were born an atheist and someone had to fill your head with unproved nonsense for you to become the freak you are today.

2) "Inerrant" means "not false" which also means "true", you semi-literate boob. You have a poor grasp of English, yet you profess to be able to read and comprehend the Bible, without any help? ROFLMAO! You're truly a self-deluded moron.

Location hidden

#34 Jun 9, 2013
JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>The many I bring up Christ and Christianity the absoluteness scared them.
As I said, you're a semi-literate boob. And this post proves it beyond any doubt.

How can you possibly think yourself worthy of spreading the gospel when you can't even be bothered to proofread a simple sentence?

Get over yourself, freak. Your God is a fiction, and you know it.

Think about it - if he's relying on semi-literate scraps of humanity such as you to spread his word, he's doomed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 4 hr ROG 5,715
Evidence Against God (Jan '16) 4 hr ROG 4,411
Nettie's Pit Stop (Jan '12) 4 hr Poof1 27,327
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 4 hr KAB 1,813
Design, Nowhere Evident 5 hr Skeeeptical 200
Do you believe in tolerance for Gay Christians? 6 hr little lamb 90
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 7 hr Atheistgirl 220
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 8 hr 15th Dalai Lama 9,233
More from around the web