Why do Atheists care more for humanit...
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#86 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
We atheist spend a lot of money on the fight for real and permanent separation of church and state and many more worth while fights for:
End Religious Discrimination in the Military
Protect Foreign Women from U.S. Religious Extremist Policies in Foreign Aid
Eliminate Religiously-Based Laws Interfering with Contraception Access
Eliminate Health and Safety Standard Exemptions for Religious Child Care Centers
Protect Teen Students’ Rights to Form Atheist Clubs
End Marriage Discrimination and Oppose Theological Definitions of Marriage
Revoke Public Funding to the Boy Scouts Due to Religiously-Based Discrimination
Eliminate Religious Control of Sex Education in Public Schools
Remove “Under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance
End Public Funding of Religious Schools
Eliminate Taxpayer-Funded Housing for ‘Ministers of the Gospel’
Do not allow tax money to be used to mislead children for religious reasons
End Employment Discrimination by Religious Groups via ‘Faith-Based’ Initiatives
So we already have a full plate.
Small plate.

In fact, Catholic-church-related organizations offer more AIDS care than any other institution in the world.
https://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/ ...

"The Catholic church is among the many religious institutions responding to the immense suffering that has accompanied the
spread of HIV/AIDS. Today, it claims to provide 25 percent of all AIDS care throughout the world through its ministries and
its 110,000-plus health-care organizations."

United Nations General Assembly, Special Session on HIV/AIDS, June 27, 2001

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#87 Apr 21, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk is cheap and often people will say what castes them in a good light. Secular progressives have always promoted compassion as long as they were using other people's money.
In contrast, one out of every seven hospital beds in the United States is found in a catholic hospital and Catholic Charities USA has over 400,000 unpaid volunteers.
And I be one of them...

NDanger

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#88 Apr 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>
But please explain how so many Americans continue to vote for candidates that are clearly not working for their best interests (of the voters)????
I am continually amazed when I talk to fellow voters, that so many are rabid supports of candidates who keep working against their (the voters) best interests...its like they've chosen a favorite flavor and are too weak (?) to change their minds, that they cant see they don't really like that flavor after all...but they keep eating it.
I just dont get it. I dont see how anyone can still be listening to 90% of the GOP right now...they must be expert at mass-hypnosis is my only conclusion.
Disclaimer; I'm not that happy with the Dems either, but as a lesser of two evils...I gotta go with them right now.
I believe it's the power of advertising...brainwashing people thru the barrage of BS...

One of the issues I have is 'who do you believe'? too many spindoctors, analysts, etc...and unless you go thru a candidates history with a microscope to see what they've done in office...you will only hear about what will get their vote...and as for the newbies, we have been burned so many times with their promises...

Like you said...the lesser of 2 evils...I liken it to a choice of the gas chamber or the electric chair...

I am all for single term / no bennies Govt...
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#89 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
And I be one of them...
Neat!

NDanger

“Third Eye”

#90 Apr 21, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Now that's funny. I know youre kinda kidding...but I do hope you know that?
What the test shows, IMO - is how different we all process information. I see stuff like this and go, "Wow, thats cool, let me see it closer." I'm the one in the group who is rarely grossed out and will touch, investigate the thing everyone runs from. I see a dead animal in the yard, and call the kids over to show and explain it to them. Better still if its maggot infested.:)
Spiders still freak me out sometimes...especially big juicy ones...yuck. Which might go back to the old Sci-fi, Creature Features TV shows of my youth, where spiders were always causing havoc someplace...
But IMO, there are people who react negatively to such things because they are not very curious about life and stuff in general. Then there are the curious ones. And I do think those types align to certain ideological sides. And I think Conservatism, the GOP, etc tend to attract people, but mostly their leaders - who not very curious about Life and its myriad wonders. IMO. I have no real facts to back that up, just experiences...
Well, spiders are on my radar...lol...I live on a hobby farm and the place is lousy with yelo crab spiders hanging from 'every' rafter... you know the ones...big friggin' hairy body...

Interestingly, The only ones I don't mind are the Daddy Longlegs which I remember as a child hanging out by the RR tracks with Stella. One walked over my bare thigh...I screamed bloody murder...

The rest is history...

Snakes I don't mind, mice...no biggy...rats on the other hand? Not so...had an infestation a few yrs back after neighbor destroyed old barn...had a few visitors...they don't go easily...

I am in awe of nature. Just spent 2 weeks on a road trip in the SW...My biggest disappointment was that I didn't see a rattler, tarantula, mtn lion or grizzly. I did see 2 lizards about as long as my pinky, but they wouldn't have nothing to do with me and my camera...they were gone before I could say pic...

Did see 3 dead dear tho...roadkill...no consolations however...oh, and a few buzzards...and 1 squirrel that my wife thought was going to attack her...that was funny...not sure who was more frightened...

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#91 Apr 21, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neat!
As a granddaddy I have cut my charity hours to be a granddaddy.Charity starts at home...

NDanger

“Third Eye”

#92 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many billions of this (charitable given) money went to pay for the raping of young boys by priest?
Children raped by priests in America has resulted in more than $3.3 billion in settlements over the past 15 years.
What the Catholic Church’s finances look like.Estimate that the church spends about $171,600,000,000 a year. Of that less than 5% went to charities.
http://media.economist.com/sites/default/file...
5%= 8.5 Billion... that's a drop in the 'proverbial' bucket...

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#93 Apr 21, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, spiders are on my radar...lol...I live on a hobby farm and the place is lousy with yelo crab spiders hanging from 'every' rafter... you know the ones...big friggin' hairy body...
Interestingly, The only ones I don't mind are the Daddy Longlegs which I remember as a child hanging out by the RR tracks with Stella. One walked over my bare thigh...I screamed bloody murder...
The rest is history...
Snakes I don't mind, mice...no biggy...rats on the other hand? Not so...had an infestation a few yrs back after neighbor destroyed old barn...had a few visitors...they don't go easily...
I am in awe of nature. Just spent 2 weeks on a road trip in the SW...My biggest disappointment was that I didn't see a rattler, tarantula, mtn lion or grizzly. I did see 2 lizards about as long as my pinky, but they wouldn't have nothing to do with me and my camera...they were gone before I could say pic...
Did see 3 dead dear tho...roadkill...no consolations however...oh, and a few buzzards...and 1 squirrel that my wife thought was going to attack her...that was funny...not sure who was more frightened...
I've lived in the west my whole life only seen one mountain lion in the wild and he was stalking me. I felt him,knew I was being watched feeling for quit some time before I saw him. I grabbed a big stick and started making as much noisy as I could hitting stuff and yelling. I had a gun on hip but never pulled it from holster. Lion simply walked away after he knew I knew he was there.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#94 Apr 21, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
5%= 8.5 Billion... that's a drop in the 'proverbial' bucket...
I agree, the church should be able to give far more.

he article also notes that there isn’t a long line of future priests, donations are dropping, and pensions are underfunded. All of that means the future doesn’t look very good for the Church.

NDanger

“Third Eye”

#95 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
I've lived in the west my whole life only seen one mountain lion in the wild and he was stalking me. I felt him,knew I was being watched feeling for quit some time before I saw him. I grabbed a big stick and started making as much noisy as I could hitting stuff and yelling. I had a gun on hip but never pulled it from holster. Lion simply walked away after he knew I knew he was there.
WOW...good thing you noticed him...

My sister in law in SLC has a friend who lives in the hills. She and her daughter came home, parked in carport under house. They walked up the steps all the way around to back and went into house. The mom put here stuff down, turned around to close the door when a mtn lion sprung at the door. They had all they could do to close the door...another stalker that was too close for comfort...

NDanger

“Third Eye”

#96 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
he article also notes that there isn’t a long line of future priests, donations are dropping, and pensions are underfunded. All of that means the future doesn’t look very good for the Church.
I was inferring that 8.5 billion isn't chump change and yes, they could give more...

NDanger

“Third Eye”

#97 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
The RCC is going to have to reinvent themselves to continue...ie, marriage for clergy, etc...

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#98 Apr 21, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
The RCC is going to have to reinvent themselves to continue...ie, marriage for clergy, etc...
Marriage for clergy would be a good place to start. They had it at one time but got rid of it because when a married clergy dies the family got his money not the church.
downhill246

Pompano Beach, FL

#99 Apr 21, 2013
Gillette wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheist-act...
Atheist Activist Who Became Christian Returns to Atheism

That is funny. "He got caught up in all the excitement." Christians may leave their religion but I doubt if they would ever leave it for "the excitement of atheism." LOL

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#100 Apr 21, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
I was inferring that 8.5 billion isn't chump change and yes, they could give more...
I know what you meant. 8.5 billion sound like a lot but not so much when you have 170 billion not so much. When you have priest like Jesse Duplantis with a 3 million dollar house over 22,000 square feet and a 12,000 SF garage sitting on 3 million dollar property it nothing. He is not the only priest living high on the hog off other people charity...

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#101 Apr 21, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is funny. "He got caught up in all the excitement." Christians may leave their religion but I doubt if they would ever leave it for "the excitement of atheism." LOL
The numbers of priest that no longer believe in god is growing fast.
http://www.clergyproject.org/
downhill246

Boca Raton, FL

#102 Apr 21, 2013
Jammercolo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you meant. 8.5 billion sound like a lot but not so much when you have 170 billion not so much. When you have priest like Jesse Duplantis with a 3 million dollar house over 22,000 square feet and a 12,000 SF garage sitting on 3 million dollar property it nothing. He is not the only priest living high on the hog off other people charity...
He is a minister, not a priest.

NDanger

“Third Eye”

#103 Apr 21, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
True that!
WhiteDevil KingOfTrolls

High Springs, FL

#104 Apr 22, 2013
Prophet of Jesus Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you accept me as a prophet of God?
A. Yes
B. No
B.Definitely B.

“Invisible Pink Unicorn”

Location hidden

#105 Apr 22, 2013
downhill246 wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a minister, not a priest.
Six in one hand half a dozen in the other.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our time is here, prophecy fulfilled! 1 hr ROG 34
Why did Christ come to Earth? (Oct '16) 1 hr ROG 1,602
jesus will never return 1 hr ROG 477
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 22 hr ZDF 601
America is a constitutional republic, based on ... Fri Bloodflower 43
Gambler's Abyss: Deuteronomy Fri Bloodflower 2
>>>>>>>>>>>> ASK the PROPHET <<<<<<<<<<<< (Nov '13) Fri Bloodflower 25
More from around the web