Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2013

What does this mean and what is the answer?

Genesis 4:8 or 9

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

The Stairway To Heaven wrote:
Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
Sometimes as believers our "brother or sister" is in Christ and not of blood. I hold little relevance to blood ties over bonds of faith.
In this situation it is more pointing out Cain's dishonesty for his evil acts.
Yes, we are to care for all, but murder none.
And what does "care" mean?

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
To me it means to picture ourselves in the position of others, especially those that are oppressed, in poverty, suffering physical or/and mental anguish, or maybe one of the worst many face, DEPRESSION.
Not all of us are in the position to offer others something we also need and have no resources, but we can give what we can, in any way we can. All gave some, some gave all. Love, it is the answer.
Promoting tolerance, compassion, love and good will to all?

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

<quoted text>
Basically, yes. But no one can do that to all. Maybe in their local, even then, as humans we will not accept all strangers nor will they accept us. I would rather be left alone in my despair except for those I know are sincere and their concern is genuine.
But with Soddom and Gomorrah, the test was how to treat strangers. All failed in what God wanted. Don't you think the strangers are the ones who may need you the most?

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
That is NOT what Sodom and Gomorrah's destruction from God's wrath was about. That's a cop-out.
Recently, on the History Channel, was aired another video in the "Histories Mysteries" series titled "Sodom and Gomorrah." The video features the ancient Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, and presents information from skeptics who doubt the Bible's accuracy concerning what led to the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. One of the main skeptics, Dr. Carole Fontaine, a feminist theologian and faculty director at Andover Newton Theological School, states...
"We sometimes find when we look at Bible stories that people think they know what they say. When we look more closely we sometimes find that the text is ambivalent."
Ambivalent? According to Dr. Fontaine, the greatest sin of the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah may have been their lack of hospitality towards guests visiting their city, and not sexual deviance (never mind the mob of queers about to break down lot's front door and rape the guests - Genesis 19:4-9). Unbelievably, Fontaine claims that homosexuality in Sodom and Gomorrah may not have been the sin which brought God's judgment.
God Destroyed Sodom Because of Fornication and Homosexuality
However, miss Fontaine needs to look at the entire Word of God, not just Genesis. The Bible plainly states in the New Testament, in Jude 1:7...
"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange (Greek: different, other) flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire."
I don't see any mention of "hospitality" miss Fontaine, but I do see "fornication" and "going after strange flesh." The term "going after strange flesh" is explained to us in Proverbs 7:5 and Romans 1:26-27...
"That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words."
"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."
"Going after strange flesh" in the Bible is not necessarily homosexuality, as we are warned about the "strange" adulterous woman in Proverb 5:20; 7:5; but, the context of Jude 1:7 clearly implies homosexuality. "Going after strange flesh" means going after flesh "different" than what is rightfully ours to claim (our spouse's body -1st Corinthians 7:4). Notice that Jude mentions both "fornication" and "going after strange flesh."
Obviously, Sodom's sins were more than fornication, and certainly more than a "lack of hospitality." The "strange" flesh simply refers to that which is forbidden by God for us to have, it is flesh outside the bounds of God's laws; hence, the term "sexual deviance" (to deviate from what is acceptable to God).
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/sodom.h...
She's right...it's about how you treat strangers..NOT homosexuality, which was a live and well in the Jewish community...they just did not display it in public...

You really should read historical books of the Jews...it will enhance your understanding of the bible so much more...the bible cannot be taken literally...not only because it is based on mythology and hundreds of different authors spanning over 2,000 years, but because it will highlight for you the laws and times of each part of the bible.
brotherskeeper

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

love thy neighbor as thyself
that should be sufficient enough to be your brother's keeper.
Love will not let a brother go hungry or naked or be left out in the cold.
brotherskeeper

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

you're a smart cookie you answer your own questions without input ha ha

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

brotherskeeper wrote:
you're a smart cookie you answer your own questions without input ha ha
Sometimes they just do the work for you...and yes, Love they neighbor as thyself does make everyone your brother...thanks!!!!

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

<quoted text>
Garbage. I have posted proof. You are lame and without any defense. The Bible says otherwise, and that is what God's Word consists of, void of the RCC. Try the Muslim forum. You can even go veiled, which your posts have proven to be.
YOu haven't posted any proof...just an opinion....and you ignored the only proof that Soddom and Gomorrah was about how you treat strangers.

What a lame comment..."Try the Muslim forum." I was a Christian for 45 years...I feel at home on the Christian forum...just can't find that many Christians in this nation anymore....you born again evangelical Dominionists and Christian REconstructionists turn off too many Christians.
brotherskeeper

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes they just do the work for you...and yes, Love they neighbor as thyself does make everyone your brother...thanks!!!!
:) no problem, you are quite welcome take care
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

I think the question of Cain, "Am I my brother's keeper", goes to the same point as the parable of the good Samaritan. Samaritans were despised by the Jews and the idea that a Samaritan would do a good deed when priests and Levites (brothers in faith) passed by the needy traveler would have been shocking to those Jews hearing the story.

Cain despised his brother and because of his jealousy. His question was saying "I despise my brother why should I care what happens to him". I think the point of both stories is that whether or not we dislike someone or believe differently than they do they are human beings just like us and we should care about them and treat them as we would like to be treated. Nearly every religious tradition espouses the "Golden Rule" but few practice it.
brotherskeeper

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

hey Big Al, yeah so sad but true that very few practice the Golden Rule.
What a wonderful world it would be if every man, woman and child put the Golden Rule into daily practice.
No more lying to your neighbor, no more stealing, no more senseless acts of murder. If only God's people would pray more not.

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Big Al wrote:
I think the question of Cain, "Am I my brother's keeper", goes to the same point as the parable of the good Samaritan. Samaritans were despised by the Jews and the idea that a Samaritan would do a good deed when priests and Levites (brothers in faith) passed by the needy traveler would have been shocking to those Jews hearing the story.
Cain despised his brother and because of his jealousy. His question was saying "I despise my brother why should I care what happens to him". I think the point of both stories is that whether or not we dislike someone or believe differently than they do they are human beings just like us and we should care about them and treat them as we would like to be treated. Nearly every religious tradition espouses the "Golden Rule" but few practice it.
Nicely said....and good traditions gone by the wayside with the advent of the pro-rich rise in born again evangelism..the latest group of the Dominionists and Christian Reconstructionists trying to destroy this nation since 1940's.

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Helpful Hints wrote:
Question: "Am I my brother’s keeper?"
Answer: The phrase “my brother’s keeper” occurs in the context of the story of Cain and Abel in Genesis 4:1-9. After the Lord God had expelled Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden for their disobedience, Cain killed his brother Abel out of jealousy that God had found Abel’s sacrifice acceptable, but He had rejected Cain’s. After the murder, the Lord, knowing full well what had happened, asked Cain where Abel was. Cain’s response was "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?"
There is a grain of truth in this brazen lie, despite the surly response Cain offers to the God who created him. While no one is the absolute “keeper” of others in that we are not responsible for everyone’s safety when we are not present, every man is his brother’s keeper in that we are not to commit violent acts against them or allow others to do so if we can prevent it. This sort of “keeping” is something God rightfully demands of everyone, on the grounds of both justice and love. But Cain’s reply indicates a total lack of any kind of feeling for another human being—not to mention the absence of brotherly love—and the overriding presence of the kind of selfishness which kills affection and gives rise to hatred.
So are Christians to be the keepers of other Christians? Yes, in two ways. First we are not to commit acts of violence against one another. This includes violence of the tongue in the form of gossip and “quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder”(1 Corinthians 12:20). Second, we are to exhibit brotherly love toward our brothers and sisters in Christ with a tender heart and a humble mind (1 Peter 3:8). In this way, we “keep” those for whom Christ gave His life.
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/brothers-keeper.h...
Nah....you're to be that way to ALL people....not the born again crap about it's okay for republicans to commit adultery, but NOT okay for democrats to do it.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Helpful Hints wrote:
<quoted text>Believe it, this does not make sense. Why? Because, what you see as the Golden Rule may be a lie. For instance, the Golden Rule is from the Christian Bible, so do you follow the precepts of the rule, Christianity? Yes, God's people must pray more and act more and make earth as it is in heaven.
You don’t have to be a Christian to see the wisdom and benefits of the Golden Rule it was around long before Jesus and the New Testament.

"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." Udana-Varga, 5:18 The Bhudda (563 BCE to 483 BCE)

"This is the sum of Dharma: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you". Mahabharata, 5:1517 – Hindu (8th and 9th centuries BCE)

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. This is the whole Torah”- Hilel (Jewish Rabbi, 110 BCE – 10 CE)

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
You don’t have to be a Christian to see the wisdom and benefits of the Golden Rule it was around long before Jesus and the New Testament.
"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." Udana-Varga, 5:18 The Bhudda (563 BCE to 483 BCE)
"This is the sum of Dharma: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you". Mahabharata, 5:1517 – Hindu (8th and 9th centuries BCE)
"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. This is the whole Torah”- Hilel (Jewish Rabbi, 110 BCE – 10 CE)
Absolutely...thanks for that, Big Al.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Cookie_Parker wrote:
You're only his keeper if you can get him into a cage.

“Jesus is Lord”

Since: Aug 11

Greenwood, Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Cookie_Parker wrote:
It means this...This is the first murder-taking a life by shedding human blood. Blood represent life (Lev.17:10-14). If blood is removed from a living creature, it will die. Because God created life, only God should take life away....

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

ThePreacherman01 wrote:
<quoted text>It means this...This is the first murder-taking a life by shedding human blood. Blood represent life (Lev.17:10-14). If blood is removed from a living creature, it will die. Because God created life, only God should take life away....
And you should NEVER take the life of a person you consider your brother..and all men are your brothers..you left that out.
buck

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

what a topic to discuss
Cookie I think you just like talking lol
nonetheless, most people today look out for #1, yeah themselves and don't give a hoot about anyone else, true not.
btw preacherman gives the big hint that he is a Jehovah Witness, he got an issue with the blood. You can give blood and not die duh. Unless preacherman is a vegetarian, where does he think all meat comes from that man consumes. God never said it's a "sin" to kill animals to eat.
btw in order to atone for sin back then, men had to sacrifice animals without spot or blemish. It was God's way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WHAT GOD SAID to ME TODAY 6 min Anonymous Girl 177
GOD is A RACIEST 6 min Seriously__ 54
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 8 min 10uhsee 1,222
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 8 min Chelsee11 9,931
A Message from Nettie 30 min Laci Ann 7 744
Church of England to have women bishops 37 min joe 7 2
If Jesus said few would find the "road that lea... 39 min Old GT 237
•••
•••