What are these "two great lights" in ...

What are these "two great lights" in GEN 1:16?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Fresno, CA

#1 May 2, 2007
1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

“2nd child, lol.”

Since: Apr 07

Salem, MO

#2 May 2, 2007
Hi Weird War,

The two lights mentioned are the sun to rule the day and the moon to rule the night.

peace to you,
Kim

Fresno, CA

#3 May 2, 2007
IAMlives wrote:
Hi Weird War,
The two lights mentioned are the sun to rule the day and the moon to rule the night.
peace to you,
Kim
Last I checked, the Moon was not a light. LOL.

“2nd child, lol.”

Since: Apr 07

Salem, MO

#4 May 2, 2007
C'mon Weird War, we can argue semantics or just accept the fact that the moon emits light by reflecting the sun's light...sheesh!=)

Fresno, CA

#5 May 3, 2007
IAMlives wrote:
C'mon Weird War, we can argue semantics or just accept the fact that the moon emits light by reflecting the sun's light...sheesh!=)
Sorry, if God is creating a "great light" I would expect it to be the Sun or the stars. The Moon is a giant rock, not a light. The passage should read that God created one great light called the Sun and one rock called the Moon.
Dirk

London, UK

#6 May 3, 2007
Weird War wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, if God is creating a "great light" I would expect it to be the Sun or the stars. The Moon is a giant rock, not a light. The passage should read that God created one great light called the Sun and one rock called the Moon.
His mates helped him with the other 70 sextillion stars and all the other ones that have since expired, and they learned to whisk them up into billions of lovely spirally glittery galaxies in little groups evenly moving away from each other for our pleasure and awe.
Cuddles

Louisville, KY

#7 May 7, 2007
Weird War wrote:
1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night:[he made] the stars also.
to rule the day is a sun and to rule the night is a moon and yes the moon gives off life it gets from the sun and extra light it produces itself.
TheRealTruth

Oulu, Finland

#8 May 7, 2007
Cuddles wrote:
<quoted text>to rule the day is a sun and to rule the night is a moon and yes the moon gives off life it gets from the sun and extra light it produces itself.
The moon reflects light from the Sun. Interestingly you may of seen the Earth also reflects light from the Sun onto the moon and back again, so you can just see the entire moon when it's around the new moon phase. This phenomina is called Earthshine.
Cuddles

Louisville, KY

#9 May 7, 2007
TheRealTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
The moon reflects light from the Sun. Interestingly you may of seen the Earth also reflects light from the Sun onto the moon and back again, so you can just see the entire moon when it's around the new moon phase. This phenomina is called Earthshine.
i know, im not stupid, but the moon does have its own light too.
TheRealTruth

Oulu, Finland

#10 May 7, 2007
Cuddles wrote:
<quoted text> i know, im not stupid, but the moon does have its own light too.
I never suggested you were stupid, your defensiveness reveals something I already knew from earlier posts.

Anyway all I was bringing to light so to speak to whoever was interested was the Earthshine phenomina.
The Moon does not officially emit light, however there is something called TLP Transient Lunar Phenonemon, which has been attributed to escaping gas. But this is not definitive and it has not been seen with the human eye. Other than that the moon does not emit light.
Cuddles

Louisville, KY

#11 May 7, 2007
okey doke

Fresno, CA

#12 May 7, 2007
TheRealTruth wrote:
Other than that the moon does not emit light.
So would you define the moon as a light? Yes or no?
Dirk

London, UK

#13 May 7, 2007
Weird War wrote:
<quoted text>
So would you define the moon as a light? Yes or no?
Nope, I would define it as a natural satellite visible by the reflection of sunlight.

Fresno, CA

#14 May 8, 2007
Dirk wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I would define it as a natural satellite visible by the reflection of sunlight.
Disregard the fact that light bounces off it. Sunlight bounces off a lot of things, like trees, mountains, airplanes, cars. But we don't define those things by the light reflecting off of them. The moon is a round rock, a satellite as you pointed out.

Since: Feb 07

Edmonton, Canada

#15 May 9, 2007
Weird War wrote:
<quoted text>
here you are associating the word "light" with the material making up the sun. the sun produces light. the moon reflects light. but both of them light up the space.

i think the context of this statement is to say that the sun lights up the way during daytime and the moon during nighttime. back then the people were not concerned whether or not the moon or the sun produced or reflected light. I would assume they thought that both produced light.

i guess it comes down to the original language of the Bible. maybe there was no way to differentiate in language between light in the sense of reflector of light and light in the sense of producer of light

Edmonton, Canada

#16 May 9, 2007
Young's Literal Translation

And God maketh the two great luminaries, the great luminary for the rule of the day, and the small luminary -- and the stars -- for the rule of the night;

definition of "luminary"

http://www.answers.com/topic/luminary

according to wikipedia ......... it was a naming for both moon and sun regardless of whether they reflect or produce light

so the purpose of the statement is not to state a scientific fact on the nature of the moon and the sun .......... but to say that God created sun and moon ....... he defined "day" as the time during which the sun is lighting up the dark ......... he defined the "night" as the time during which the moon lighting up the dark
TheRealTruth

Finland

#17 May 9, 2007
Weird War wrote:
<quoted text>
Disregard the fact that light bounces off it. Sunlight bounces off a lot of things, like trees, mountains, airplanes, cars. But we don't define those things by the light reflecting off of them. The moon is a round rock, a satellite as you pointed out.
Yes agree, and I didn't read your first entry. Certainly back then most people would have thought that it was just strange cirular lights, the moon must of been extra strange patchy and sliced. We still get the same relative simplistic misunderstandings when it comes other things in nature, such as evolution and the age of the earth etc.

Fresno, CA

#18 May 9, 2007
sam_peace wrote:
<quoted text>
here you are associating the word "light" with the material making up the sun. the sun produces light. the moon reflects light. but both of them light up the space.
I understand what you are trying to say, but you don't make TWO lights by creating a light source (the sun) and a reflective objective (the moon). There is only one light here, the sun. The photons are emitted from that one source. The Bible clearly says there are two lights, when there are not. By the way, "light" and "light source" are interchangeable.

Edmonton, Canada

#19 May 9, 2007
Weird War wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are trying to say, but you don't make TWO lights by creating a light source (the sun) and a reflective objective (the moon). There is only one light here, the sun. The photons are emitted from that one source. The Bible clearly says there are two lights, when there are not. By the way, "light" and "light source" are interchangeable.
but that statement was made by a disciple and not by Jesus ppbuh. and he thought that moon and sun both emitted light.

Fresno, CA

#20 May 9, 2007
sam_peace wrote:
<quoted text>
but that statement was made by a disciple and not by Jesus ppbuh. and he thought that moon and sun both emitted light.
I believe Moses supposedly wrote Genesis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
breath of god, and how we come to light. 14 min Seentheotherside 82
Israel is anti christ, literally 14 min Ben Avraham 258
Why did Christ come to Earth? (Oct '16) 29 min Seen Is Awesome 1,169
Are Your Beliefs TRUE? 8 hr Big Al 250
the essay of mark twain about the jews 8 hr Big Al 74
Early Christianity (Dec '16) 8 hr Big Al 2,623
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 9 hr Big Al 1,942
More from around the web