Christianity is absurd

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#85 May 2, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>1. Path of Salvation? Compared to your knowledge of the path to damnation. Simply, you must be born again and receive Christ. First step, without it, there are no others.
Do I need to repeat myself?

There is no consistent Christian account of how humans are supposed to be saved, although this is of the utmost practical urgency. It is absurd that the aim of Christianity is human salvation and yet Christian doctrine does not make clear how this is achieved. Indeed, there are conflicting ideas of salvation suggested by the creeds, the gospels and Paul's letters. For example, one view of salvation presented in the Synoptic Gospels is that a person is saved by following a moral code. A second view, one maintained by Paul, John, and the Creeds, is that a person is saved by having faith in Jesus. In other words, the first path to salvation seems to be through works, whereas the second path to salvation is by faith alone.

Prove me wrong. I doubt you can. Show me for a fact that Scripture only ever speaks of one specific path to salvation. It doesn't, but hey - knock yourself out trying to make it seem so.

Location hidden

#86 May 2, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>Huh?
Wrong.
But, based on your analogy then your mom is an evil murderer.
Think about it: She knew you would some day die, she knew this. Yet, she gave birth to you anyway and she knew you would die. She also knows you might die from a gun shot, cancer, AIDS, stroke, etc., so she knew this and that makes her a murderer according to you.
Even worship a mom who has a child die a tragic death, she knows this might happen and does happens, so according to you she must be evil.
By the same analogy all Christians ought to murder their children the moment they are baptized. Better to send a child's soul directly to Jesus then allow it to live and risk Satan stealing its soul.

Your analogy is deeply flawed, because my mother couldn't be 100% sure that I wouldn't grow up to be a scientist who invented a machine that granted eternal life. As long as there was that slim possibility, the worst you could say about her is that she took a risk.

But hey, many thanks for saying my mom knows as much as God. I'll tell her you said so the next time I see her. She will be tickled pink.

To which address should she send the mittens and the carrot cake?

Location hidden

#87 May 2, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>
2. Concept of Heaven? Well, since everyone dies it must be an evolutionary concept which has happened over 20 billion times. Scientist must have observed it millions of times and in order to get to heaven one must first die, right. Yet, scientists and you atheists can not even explain what happens one second after you die. It seems that the concept of heaven is not your issue, it would appear your issue is not having a concept about dying.
You're pretty close on this one. Evolutionary biologists have provided clues as to why the human mind is "wired" for religious belief.

We're also wired to be afraid of the dark, and many other silly things. We've not been around long enough to scuttle the limbic system and its primitive survival mechanisms.

But hey, we're working on it. A million years from now let's have this conversation over a beer. I have a funny feeling it'll be your turn to buy a round...
little lamb

Maribyrnong, Australia

#88 May 2, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
If God knows the future then he knew that Adam and Eve had no choice but to eat the fruit. It was all planned.
Think about it: God knows the future. He "knows" that Adam and Eve are perfect and will never sin. Then the serpent tempts them, and they sin. That surprises God, because he KNEW, without a doubt, that they would never sin.
What good is a God that knows everything but can still be surprised? Worthless! Not to mention impossible by definition.
So, If God knew the future, he knew Adam and Eve would sin. They had no choice. If they hadn't sin then - once again - God would have been surprised that things didn't turn out the way he "knew" they would.
You have to admit one or the other of these two things:
1) God doesn't know the future, therefore he isn't omniscient, therefore you don't pray to an omniscient god.
2) God knows the future, which means humans have no free will. We have no choice but to do the things God knows we will do before we do it. And that makes your God a sadistic jerk, because he punishes people who sin even though they had no choice - they were damned from the moment he created them.
Pick one, they both suck. Oh wait, there's one more choice:
3) Your God doesn't exist.
I'll go with #3, only because I'm intelligent, literate sensible, logical, rational, and a realist.
How about you?:)
I believe god knows the future..and I believe he allows us to choose which path to go

After all he is our law maker ..and he created the Law of probability......

Quote...
In probability theory, the law (or formula) of total probability is a fundamental rule relating marginal probabilities to conditional probabilities. It expresses the total probability of an outcome which can be realized via several distinct events, hence the name.

Location hidden

#89 May 3, 2013
little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe god knows the future..and I believe he allows us to choose which path to go
After all he is our law maker ..and he created the Law of probability......
Quote...
In probability theory, the law (or formula) of total probability is a fundamental rule relating marginal probabilities to conditional probabilities. It expresses the total probability of an outcome which can be realized via several distinct events, hence the name.
If God knows THE future, that means there is ONE future.

If he knows ALL possible futures, then duh - so do I. The fact that there are infinite possibilities means there is no such thing as "the future."

If God knows THE future, meaning he knows the path you will choose, then you have no choice but to follow that path - which means you have no free will.

It's idiotic to say that there are multiple paths available but God knows which one you will choose before you choose it. The fact that you have to choose the path he already knows you will choose is tantamount to saying you don;t have a choice.

Your reply only proves what I have been saying all along - Christians who believe that God knows the future and that humans have free will are a stupid bunch, incapable of simple logic and reason.
Big Al

Grand Rapids, MN

#90 May 3, 2013
Oscar Wilde_ wrote:
<quoted text>Huh?
Wrong.
But, based on your analogy then your mom is an evil murderer.
Think about it: She knew you would some day die, she knew this. Yet, she gave birth to you anyway and she knew you would die. She also knows you might die from a gun shot, cancer, AIDS, stroke, etc., so she knew this and that makes her a murderer according to you.
Even worship a mom who has a child die a tragic death, she knows this might happen and does happens, so according to you she must be evil.
If your omniscient “God” already knew that Adam and Eve would eat the apple it would be absurd for “Him” to tell them not to. It implies that “He” had an expectation that they would not eat the apple. There is no such thing as expectation for an omniscient being.

Location hidden

#91 May 3, 2013
I agree - Christians are mentally retarded, incapable of comprehending that an omniscient being who knows the future cannot grant free will to humans to change the future that he knows in advance will take place.

Instead of laws against gay marriage, why don't we institute the death penalty for morons?

Christians would probably welcome the opportunity to go hang with surfer Jesus.
Thinking

Decatur, GA

#92 May 3, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
I agree - Christians are mentally retarded, incapable of comprehending that an omniscient being who knows the future cannot grant free will to humans to change the future that he knows in advance will take place.
Instead of laws against gay marriage, why don't we institute the death penalty for morons?
Christians would probably welcome the opportunity to go hang with surfer Jesus.
You would be the 1rst to be put to death for stupidity.

Location hidden

#93 May 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be the 1rst to be put to death for stupidity.
Stupid people are people who accept outrageous claims with no evidence to back them up.

You claim your God exists, but you have no evidence.

I'd be stupid if I believed your claim, but I don't.

I'm intelligent, rational, and logical.

And you suck.
Thinking

Decatur, GA

#94 May 3, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid people are people who accept outrageous claims with no evidence to back them up.
You claim your God exists, but you have no evidence.
I'd be stupid if I believed your claim, but I don't.
I'm intelligent, rational, and logical.
And you suck.
You have no evidence he doesn't exist so you are just as stupid.

Location hidden

#95 May 3, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no evidence he doesn't exist so you are just as stupid.
Do you have any evidence that invisible monkeys don;t exist, you clueless pile of vomit?

No? Then I guess you must believe they do.

You're an absolute joke.

For the record, I've already proved your God doesn't exist. I proved he is a five-sided square, meaning that BY DEFINITION it would be impossible for him to exist.

An omniscient being can't grant free will to humans, BY DEFINITION, yet you think your omniscient God gave humans free will.

I know you have no clue why that's so, but trust me - it is.
little lamb

Mentone, Australia

#96 May 3, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
If God knows THE future, that means there is ONE future.
If he knows ALL possible futures, then duh - so do I. The fact that there are infinite possibilities means there is no such thing as "the future."
If God knows THE future, meaning he knows the path you will choose, then you have no choice but to follow that path - which means you have no free will.
It's idiotic to say that there are multiple paths available but God knows which one you will choose before you choose it. The fact that you have to choose the path he already knows you will choose is tantamount to saying you don;t have a choice.
Your reply only proves what I have been saying all along - Christians who believe that God knows the future and that humans have free will are a stupid bunch, incapable of simple logic and reason.
You are the one having a problem understanding...

god allows freedom of choice...and God knows the outcome of whatever choice you make.

Blessings and cursings are put before us..life or death..

what you choose ..god foretells your outcome.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#97 May 3, 2013
little lamb wrote:
God knows the outcome of whatever choice you make.
So do explain how this allows freewill.

Location hidden

#99 May 4, 2013
little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one having a problem understanding...
god allows freedom of choice...and God knows the outcome of whatever choice you make.
Blessings and cursings are put before us..life or death..
what you choose ..god foretells your outcome.
I'll make this as simple as I can for you. If you can't grasp this then I give up.

You have two choices, A or B.

God knows you will choose B.

If you choose A then God was wrong.

Since God can never be wrong you have to choose B.

Since you had to choose B you didn't have a choice, only the illusion of one.

I think you're implying that whether you choose A or B God knows what will happen next. If so, then God didn't know whether you would choose A or B. He left that choice up to you. That means that God doesn't know everything. If God knew everything he would have known whether you would choose A or B.

It's really that simple. An omniscient God is an impossibility if humans have free will.

And if humans do not have free will, then any God that damned people for not having a choice in their own destiny is an unjust and sadistic monster.

That's how I know your God doesn't exist, because you insist that he is omniscient AND that he granted humans free will.

If you said that your God doesn't know the future then at the very least he wouldn't be an impossibility (at least not on that count) and I would admit that a God that gave humans free will and didn't know the future could possibly exist.

As I said, this is my last attempt to get you to understand that an omniscient God that granted humans free will cannot exist. Either you will comprehend that and agree and we move on, or I will simply shake my head at your stupidity.
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#100 May 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh?
If God knows the future then he knew that Adam and Eve had no choice but to eat the fruit. It was all planned.
Think about it: God knows the future. He "knows" that Adam and Eve are perfect and will never sin. Then the serpent tempts them, and they sin. That surprises God, because he KNEW, without a doubt, that they would never sin.
a
THINK ABOUT IT:
GOD KNEW HE WOULD EVENTUALLY BEAT SIN!
IT'S FREE-WILL THAT GOD WANTS TO PROVE HE CAN MASTER!

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#101 May 4, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
a
THINK ABOUT IT:
Who created sin?

Location hidden

#102 May 4, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
a
THINK ABOUT IT:
If God knows everything then he knew that Adam and Eve would sin. Since he knew it advance of it happening, it had to happen or he would have been wrong.

Since God is never wrong, then Adam and eve were destined to sin, which means they could not have chosen any other path.

So your God punished the entire human race because the first two humans, whose destiny was predetermined, did what they had no choice but to do.

God is therefore a sadistic demon. It's a good thing he isn't real.
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#103 May 4, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Who created sin?
Is sin a thing or an action?
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#104 May 4, 2013
HERE'S MY THEORY:

When God created angels He didn't give them free-will. They had to obey Him.
Except satan.
Satan rebelled against his creator and wants to take over.

When God created makind He gave them free-will also. Probably to prove that He can beat free-will.

That's why He allowed sin,(which is an absence of good and an absence of God), to enter mankind's world. AND KNOWING THE EVENTUAL FUTURE, HE KNOWS HE WILL BEAT IT!
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#105 May 4, 2013
I wish you would go to the Islam Forum for a while, and debate with them.

Stay registered here but also register there and you can go back and forth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why lie about the truth? Christian mistranslat... 8 min KAB 309
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 8 min Big Al 9,524
BIBLE QUESTIONS to KAB 25 min KAB 46
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 42 min 15th Dalai Lama 2,383
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 45 min KAB 5,937
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 1 hr Laci Ann 7 20,510
News Mass hunger 'a moral scandal' Bread president t... 2 hr I love jesus 73
More from around the web