#1069 May 20, 2013
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
<><
True! But then the bulk wrap begins.
<><
<quoted text>
<><
That some figurative language was used on some occasions is not license to dismiss the entire Bible as allegory/hyperbole.
<><
When a parent tells a disobedient child, "If you don't behave, I'm going to knock you into next week." The child knows that is not literally true but he does know that something very unpleasant and likely painful is going to happen.
<><
<quoted text>
<><
Ah yes the ubiquitous irrelevant quote.
Even the writers of the New Testament acknowledged the use of allegory Old Testament.

“For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.”- Galatians 4:22-24 (KJV)

"...we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason.- Christopher Hitchens

dollarsbill

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1070 May 20, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
dollarsbill
Is Jesus your redeemer?
Yes or No?
Lord have mercy. How many 'socks' do you have?

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#1071 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I am assuming you don't know much about the Old Testament. I can quote entire chapters verbatim from memory. The bible is like a jigsaw puzzle, it all fits together into a big picture. I'm guessing you pretty much are like other Christians and only read the new testament which is not in any way inspired by God. You are the one who is biblically ignorant and may rot in hell. I had a vision of my own death 30 years ago and there's no fire in hell, you don't burn you rot. The fire is going to be on earth.
I have studied the OT. Satan has deceived you. OT does not overrule NT. NEVER!

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#1072 May 20, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
So when God makes people lie, they have a choice? They can undo God's will?
"Again he said, Therefore hear the word of the LORD; I saw the LORD sitting upon his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and on his left. And the LORD said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner. Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entice him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entice him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so. Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee." (2 Chronicles 18:18-22)
You're a nitwit.
Your Biblical illiteracy noted.

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#1073 May 20, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a fraud.
No proof? LOL!
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#1074 May 20, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
I have studied the OT. Satan has deceived you. OT does not overrule NT. NEVER!
The real Messiah won't need a new testament. Everything has already been written in detail. Writing it again would be redundant. The NT differs from the OT and it never fulfilled it. Everything including the resurrection is in the OT. "and in your book all my members were written". "Then said I, lo, I come, in the volume of the book it is written of me".

dollarsbill

Location hidden

#1075 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The real Messiah won't need a new testament. Everything has already been written in detail.
Written where?

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1076 May 20, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
No proof? LOL!
Your posts are all the proof I need to show that you're a fraud.
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#1077 May 20, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Written where?
The Hebrew bible, what you call the old testament.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1078 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say there was an Israel or Hebrew nation, I in essence said they spoke a semitic language, today called Hebrew. Beginning with Adam and Eve they spoke something. Adam comes from the Hebrew adamah which means "out of the ground".
The fact that the Hebrew story of Adam and Eve is written in the language the Hebrews spoke at the time of the Babylonian conquest (when the story was written) does NOT prove or even indicate that particular language was spoken since the beginning of semitic history, or as you indicate, the beginning of human language. You obviously didn't bother to read the references I posted from the language encyclopedia. There were other languages around when the language that we call Hebrew was being spoken. I wonder who the first man and woman of their language were?
susanblange

Norfolk, VA

#1079 May 20, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
<quoted text> The fact that the Hebrew story of Adam and Eve is written in the language the Hebrews spoke at the time of the Babylonian conquest (when the story was written) does NOT prove or even indicate that particular language was spoken since the beginning of semitic history, or as you indicate, the beginning of human language. You obviously didn't bother to read the references I posted from the language encyclopedia. There were other languages around when the language that we call Hebrew was being spoken. I wonder who the first man and woman of their language were?
The story was written by Moses along with the rest of the Torah long before Babylon. It survived the tower of babel incident and Abraham was probably it's first modern speaker. The first Hebrew was Eber, where we get the term Hebrew. I Chronicles 1:25.
Big Al

Grand Rapids, MN

#1080 May 20, 2013
“The historical saga contained in the Bible – from Abraham’s encounter with God and his journey to Canaan, to Moses, deliverance of the children of Israel from bondage, to the rise and fall of the kingdoms of Israel and Judah – was not a miraculous revelation, but a product of human imagination. It was first conceived – as recent archaeological findings suggest – during the span of two or three generations, about twenty-six hundred years ago.” – Archaeologist Israel Finkelstein, Ph.D., director of the Sonia and Marco Nadler Institute of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#1081 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The story was written by Moses along with the rest of the Torah long before Babylon. It survived the tower of babel incident and Abraham was probably it's first modern speaker. The first Hebrew was Eber, where we get the term Hebrew. I Chronicles 1:25.
Sorry, but Moses never wrote the story.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/jepd_gen.ht...

"According to Jewish and Christian tradition, the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament)-- the Pentateuch --were written by Moses under the inspiration of God. God inspired Moses to write the truth and prevented him from making any errors. The Bible itself states that Moses was the author. Many conservative Christians and Jews continue with this belief today.

However, mainline and liberal theologians generally accept the "Documentary Hypothesis" which asserts that the Pentateuch was written by five authors or groups of authors, from diverse locations, over a period of centuries. Each wrote with the goal of promoting his/her/their own religious views The five individuals or groups are commonly called:

bullet J: a writer(s) who used Yahweh/Jehovah as the divine name.
bullet E: a writer(s) who used Elohim as the divine name.*
bullet P: a writer(s) who added material of major interest to the priesthood.
bullet D: the author of the book of Deuteronomy.*
bullet R: a redactor(s) who welded the contributions of J, E and P together into the present Pentateuch.

* Did not contribute to Genesis.

The authors of Genesis seem have picked up part of their story from Hindu legends of the creation and early history of humanity. Stories of Hindu heros Adimo, Heva, Sherma, Hama and Jiapheta apparently were replicated into legends about Adam, Eve, Shem Ham, and Japeth. 1 "
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#1082 May 20, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a liar. I sincerely do not believe that your God exists.
SINCERELY TELL ME HOW ANYHING CAN CREATE ITSELF FROM NOTHING BEFORE IT EXISTS.

Then consider the fact that God controls all the evidence and wants to keep life a test.
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#1083 May 20, 2013
tickedoffchic wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but Moses never wrote the story.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/jepd_gen.ht...
"According to Jewish and Christian tradition, the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament)-- the Pentateuch --were written by Moses under the inspiration of God. God inspired Moses to write the truth and prevented him from making any errors. The Bible itself states that Moses was the author. Many conservative Christians and Jews continue with this belief today.
a
WHY DID GOD PUNNISH MOSES BY NOT LETTING HIM ENTER THE 'PROMISED LAND'?
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#1086 May 20, 2013
ILUVSATAN wrote:
<quoted text>
really... and you got your information from which orifice?....and who created your god, retard?
go learn some basic physics....
FROM GOD!!!!!!!!
And if something had to have created God, then something else would have had to have created that something, and so on until you reach eternity! SOMETHING HAD TO HAVE ALWAYS EXISTED! WHY NOT GOD??
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#1087 May 20, 2013
BEELZEBUBlives wrote:
<quoted text>
and he shared all this you while your were sucking him off?
a
YOU DIRTY MINDED SCUM!!!!!
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#1088 May 20, 2013
Big Al wrote:
The doctrine of the atonement implies the absurdity of God punishing himself to appease his own wrath.
GOD 'PUNNISHED HIMSELF' IN OUR TERMS WHICH IS NOTHING TO HIM!
Because He is far greater human punishment, and has something much better to offer!
Candid

San Diego, CA

#1089 May 20, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
SINCERELY TELL ME HOW ANYHING CAN CREATE ITSELF FROM NOTHING BEFORE IT EXISTS.
You claim the Bible god always existed..Let's save a step and say the universe always existed..If you say the latter is not possible, please explain why..

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1090 May 20, 2013
susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The story was written by Moses along with the rest of the Torah long before Babylon. It survived the tower of babel incident and Abraham was probably it's first modern speaker. The first Hebrew was Eber, where we get the term Hebrew. I Chronicles 1:25.
Moses never existed, and the Pentateuch had several authors, not one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unwanted Thinking is Caused by Sex Demons and T... 1 hr AlertChristians 1
How I Know People are Being Demonized, Oppresse... 11 hr AlertChristians 1
Dangerous Sex Demons Express Emotion by Causing... 12 hr AlertChristians 2
A confession of an Ex-christian (Feb '14) 16 hr BRAMH MISHRA 15
Do You Have Dangerous Sex Demons? - Athlete's F... 16 hr AlertChristians 1
yhwh=ieue=yeshua=jesus (Mar '08) 20 hr dollarsbill 1,221
Believers are not to judge non-believers. (Dec '11) Thu Joseph kuzara 80
More from around the web