Christianity
What denomination?
Big Al

Grand Rapids, MN

#64 May 1, 2013
Prophet of Jesus Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What denomination?
Suffice it to say I was well indoctrinated.
Prophet of Jesus Christ

San Antonio, TX

#65 May 1, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
Suffice it to say I was well indoctrinated.
What denomination?
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#66 May 1, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity is itself based on pagan symbols, and every fable in the New Testament was taken from an earlier myth or legend.
The virgin birth announced by a star, the slaughter of the innocents, the transformation of water into wine, raising the dead, the twelve apostles, the crucifixion, the resurrection, the ascension into the heavens - all these aspects of the Jesus myth came from ancient Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Persian, and Indian myths and legends.
Christianity is a mythology. You can call it a religion if you like, but then every precursor to Christianity - Mithraism, Buddhism, and all the rest - were religions as well.
And all were just as full of myth and legend as Christianity.
Please don't tell me, you actual believe Christianity and the birth of the messiah was based off the story of Horus.
mztza

Mesa, AZ

#67 May 1, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need to ridicule you, you're perfectly capable of looking stupid every time you post.
In context:
Highly Evolved: If God created the angels as perfect beings, then who or what influenced Satan to rebel?
Little Lamb: Pride.
Really? Where did that pride come from? Was in innate? If so then God made Satan proud. If it was learned behavior then from whom did Satan learn it? You see, you're trapped - If Satan exists then your God either made him evil by design or created the motivation for him to rebel by design. Your demonic imaginary God created all evil.
HighlyEvolved wrote: How could something perfect become imperfect
Little Lamb: Perfect Freedom...the right to choose..
So then you admit that either a) heaven was imperfect, or b) Satan wasn't very smart. Either way, an aspect of God's creation was flawed. By design, or by incompetence?
HighlyEvolved wrote: If God did NOT create the angels as perfect beings, then what is the value of a God who intentionally creates flawed beings whom he later punishes for the very flaws he created?
Little Lamb: God is perfect in all his ways...he knows what he is doing.
That's exactly my point - your God created Satan and evil and allowed all these things to take place just so he could punish the wicked beings he created as wicked in the first place.
Evil cannot exist in something created by a being who is all-good.
Evil could not have entered the world unless it was by the design of God.
Thus your God is demonic.
Or, at the very least, he is an incompetent god, if evil got into the world and he was powerless to stop it.
No matter what, your God is either not as powerful as you believe, or more wicked than you believe.
You cannot have it any other way unless you are an irrational idiot, blind to reason and in love with your own ignorance.
That's why I ridicule you people, because you ENJOY being stupid, which makes you very dangerous to the rest of us.
FREE WILL
just like you and others,
were given
FREE WILL
all can make good or bad decisions thru
FREE WILL
little lamb

Park Orchards, Australia

#68 May 1, 2013
Big Al wrote:
“While Tertullian believed the atonement because it was absurd, I reject it because it is absurd. To accept the most fundamental Christain doctrine, namely that Jesus died for your sins, requires one to believe something that is illogical, immoral, and incoherent. In essence, it requires a sacrificium intellectus, the sacrifice of our own intelligence.”- Ken Pulliam, Ph.D. in Theology from Bob Jones University (1986), "Why I De-Converted from Evangelical Christianity"
You are free to depart..there is no force to make you a believer

The Father allowed the prodigal son, to leave,

the Father did not chase after him..The son wanted to go, and have a good time..so the Father knows that.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#69 May 1, 2013
Ant wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't tell me, you actual believe Christianity and the birth of the messiah was based off the story of Horus.
Not just Horus, no. Osiris, Mithras, the Buddha, Heracles, Odysseus...

Speaking of Odysseus, have you ever read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey? Almost every major aspect of Christianity is in those two books: the hero wandering in the desert for 40 days, resisting temptation, not being recognized by people close to you after a major victory against death, the 12 apostles, visiting the land of the dead for three days, washing of the feet and anointing with oils, the Eucharist - they're all there. And the Odyssey predates Christianity by 800 years.

I'll bet you've never read those books, and I'll bet you've never read any comparative religion or mythology. Of course, you've probably read denunciations of those sorts of books by Christian apologists, but unless you read those books for yourself you have no idea what's in them, and no right to judge them.

I've read your Bible but you're afraid to read something that shows how Christianity came from paganism. Why is that? Are you afraid to?

If you're such a good Christian won;t your God protect you, or will he allow Satan to steal your soul?

Remember, if EVERYTHING is God's will, then anyone who is led astray by Satan is led away because God willed it that way.

Think about that awhile. If your God allows you to become wicked, what does that say about him? And if he isn't powerful enough to prevent it, what does that say about him?

As for "free will" that's bullsh-t. It appears nowhere in the Bible.

Do you know what the Bible DOES say? It says that God knows the future. Which means that you CAN'T have free will, because you can;t select a different future than the one God already knows is in store for you.

Face it, buddy - your God isn't real. He can;t be, because everything about him is contradictory.

Location hidden

#70 May 1, 2013
mztza wrote:
<quoted text>
FREE WILL
just like you and others,
were given
FREE WILL
all can make good or bad decisions thru
FREE WILL
As I just pointed out, if you believe that God knows everything, even the future, then you don't have free will.

If you DO have free will then you can select a different future than the one God already knows will happen, which means God was wrong.

Which scenario makes you feel better:

a) You have free will because God doesn't know the future (and therefore he doesn't know everything, which means he isn't a god.)

b) God knows everything, even the future, and although you think you have free will you really don't. You can't change what God already knows. If you're doomed then God already knew that, which means he planned it that way - which means he's a wicked god.

c) You have free will, and God doesn't exist (which means you are a realist.)

d) You don't have free will, and God doesn't exist (which means you are a nihilist.)

e) You have free will AND God knows the future (which means you belong in a mental hospital because you can't think clearly.)

I pick 'c', How about you?
Uncircumcised Philistine

Jackson, GA

#71 May 1, 2013
Come on now, do you really think ancient Israel would try to copy the same practices the pagans did that God repeatedly said, don't imitate their ways and would punish them for it when they did.

On the Christianity part, you are correct in that Christianity that we have now was started by the church in Rome and the ancient Romans were steeped in paganism and when Rome merged & joined Christianity they didn't want to give up all of their old pagan ways, so they were allowed to bring some of it along and that's where Sunday worship, Christmas and Easter came from as well. But at the same time that was ancient times as Christians do not pray to sun Gods or worship them. They may do things in ignorance thinking its authentic and not knowing its origins, but deep in their heart they are not worship a pagan God.
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#72 May 2, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Not just Horus, no. Osiris, Mithras, the Buddha, Heracles, Odysseus...
Speaking of Odysseus, have you ever read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey? Almost every major aspect of Christianity is in those two books: the hero wandering in the desert for 40 days, resisting temptation, not being recognized by people close to you after a major victory against death, the 12 apostles, visiting the land of the dead for three days, washing of the feet and anointing with oils, the Eucharist - they're all there. And the Odyssey predates Christianity by 800 years.
I'll bet you've never read those books, and I'll bet you've never read any comparative religion or mythology. Of course, you've probably read denunciations of those sorts of books by Christian apologists, but unless you read those books for yourself you have no idea what's in them, and no right to judge them.
I've read your Bible but you're afraid to read something that shows how Christianity came from paganism. Why is that? Are you afraid to?
If you're such a good Christian won;t your God protect you, or will he allow Satan to steal your soul?
Remember, if EVERYTHING is God's will, then anyone who is led astray by Satan is led away because God willed it that way.
Think about that awhile. If your God allows you to become wicked, what does that say about him? And if he isn't powerful enough to prevent it, what does that say about him?
As for "free will" that's bullsh-t. It appears nowhere in the Bible.
Do you know what the Bible DOES say? It says that God knows the future. Which means that you CAN'T have free will, because you can;t select a different future than the one God already knows is in store for you.
Face it, buddy - your God isn't real. He can;t be, because everything about him is contradictory.
I know its all faith in the end that I am going on, but I truly believe the Bible is the preserved word of God. Not the 100% inerrant version, but close to 97% accurate.

Location hidden

#73 May 2, 2013
Uncircumcised Philistine wrote:
Come on now, do you really think ancient Israel would try to copy the same practices the pagans did that God repeatedly said, don't imitate their ways and would punish them for it when they did.
On the Christianity part, you are correct in that Christianity that we have now was started by the church in Rome and the ancient Romans were steeped in paganism and when Rome merged & joined Christianity they didn't want to give up all of their old pagan ways, so they were allowed to bring some of it along and that's where Sunday worship, Christmas and Easter came from as well. But at the same time that was ancient times as Christians do not pray to sun Gods or worship them. They may do things in ignorance thinking its authentic and not knowing its origins, but deep in their heart they are not worship a pagan God.
Facts are facts, and the truth is the truth, no matter what occurs in your heart.

Every single aspect of Christianity was already in vogue for hundreds to thousands of years before the time of Christ.

The virgin birth, the birth of the savior during the winter solstice, the star foretelling the event, the gifts of the Magi, the miracles, the crucifixion, the resurrection, the ascension - all these story elements can be found in the myths of antiquity.

The Christian theology is pagan in origin and pagan in practice. You don;t have to believe it, but it is undeniably true - you worship the sun god.
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#74 May 2, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts are facts, and the truth is the truth, no matter what occurs in your heart.
Every single aspect of Christianity was already in vogue for hundreds to thousands of years before the time of Christ.
The virgin birth, the birth of the savior during the winter solstice, the star foretelling the event, the gifts of the Magi, the miracles, the crucifixion, the resurrection, the ascension - all these story elements can be found in the myths of antiquity.
The Christian theology is pagan in origin and pagan in practice. You don;t have to believe it, but it is undeniably true - you worship the sun god.
Jesus was not born December 25th. All proof in the bible points to September/October during the Feast of Tabernacles. And since he lived 33 1/2 years, 6 months from Passover when he died is The Feast of Tabernacles which proves there was no Winter solstice birth.

There is no Sun God, there is only 1 God(YHWH), the God of Abraham, Issac, And Jacob who created everything. Any other supposed Gods are just Idols created and worshiped by man.
little lamb

Rye, Australia

#75 May 2, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
As I just pointed out, if you believe that God knows everything, even the future, then you don't have free will.
If you DO have free will then you can select a different future than the one God already knows will happen, which means God was wrong.
That's interesting..because it states ' God tested Israel in the wilderness for forty years to find out what was in their heart...

So it appears God gives us an opportunity to choose which way to go..and then his foreknowledge tells us the consequence that choice brings.

Individuals did not enter the promise land, because of disobedience..free will ..yet God still fulfilled his purpose of building a nation...his knowledge and promise to Abraham still worked out..
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>a) You have free will because God doesn't know the future (and therefore he doesn't know everything, which means he isn't a god.)
God does know the future..because when Adam and Eve sinned..

he has foreordained an administration to be set up in the full limit of times, to bring everything back to him..in heaven and on earth,,,so its always been an issue of ruler ship..the future..

That is why Jesus told us to pray for Gods Kingdom to come.

So he has always known the future will be the establishing of his Kingdom..in the full limit of time..so men don't know the time , only the promise.
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>b) God knows everything, even the future, and although you think you have free will you really don't. You can't change what God already knows. If you're doomed then God already knew that, which means he planned it that way - which means he's a wicked god.
God says we can choose ..life or death..because he places it before us,

he has told us 'this is my beloved son..listen to him' about Christ..

God says the barriers between him and men is sin..and Jesus has dealt with sin..but some men prefer sin..and that is their own freewill to choose.

God knows about the two seeds ....the future of the wicked is fire..

But a wicked man can repent.
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>b)c) You have free will, and God doesn't exist (which means you are a realist.)
No we have free will to choose and God does exist..because there are god given Laws with consequences for your choice...eg ..if you jump off a multi- story building of your own free will, the laws God places in nature will take their course
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>a) You don't have free will, and God doesn't exist (which means you are a nihilist.)
Only those who take the broad road end up in destruction..so that's those who choose an easy spacious broad way life-style..
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>a)e) You have free will AND God knows the future (which means you belong in a mental hospital because you can't think clearly.)
I pick 'c', How about you?
Which means he gives us the strength and wisdom, to refute you..without lowing ourselves to be abusive as you have to be...

hallelujah..and still be joyful when being insulted..now that is a skill.
OKAY

Houston, TX

#76 May 2, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that if the religion of Zeus had been declared the only official religion of the Roman Empire and heresy punishable by death for 1,300 years do you would be a Zeus believer today?
Problem is, it's not about 'religion', but about GOD directing.

Location hidden

#77 May 2, 2013
Ant wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was not born December 25th. All proof in the bible points to September/October during the Feast of Tabernacles. And since he lived 33 1/2 years, 6 months from Passover when he died is The Feast of Tabernacles which proves there was no Winter solstice birth.
There is no Sun God, there is only 1 God(YHWH), the God of Abraham, Issac, And Jacob who created everything. Any other supposed Gods are just Idols created and worshiped by man.
I know Jesus wasn't born December 25th, you moron. In fact, back in those days there were 10 months, not 12, in the Roman calendar, and a month in the Hebrew calendar was a LUNAR month. You've computed Jesus' birth using TWELVE SOLAR months, which proves you are incredibly ignorant about biblical matters.

Go away, you idiot. I just proved you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, so your opinions are worthless.
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#78 May 2, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
I know Jesus wasn't born December 25th, you moron. In fact, back in those days there were 10 months, not 12, in the Roman calendar, and a month in the Hebrew calendar was a LUNAR month. You've computed Jesus' birth using TWELVE SOLAR months, which proves you are incredibly ignorant about biblical matters.
Go away, you idiot. I just proved you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, so your opinions are worthless.
Romans 10:9-10

New King James Version (NKJV)

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Atleast I know I wont go to hell like you. But I will still pray for you anyways that you see the light and repent of your unbelief one day. Jesus said to love your enemies9 (sadly that includes you)

Location hidden

#79 May 2, 2013
Ant wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 10:9-10
New King James Version (NKJV)
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Atleast I know I wont go to hell like you. But I will still pray for you anyways that you see the light and repent of your unbelief one day. Jesus said to love your enemies9 (sadly that includes you)
There is no hell, you idiot. That's what we've been trying to tell you!

If the soul exists (which I doubt) then since it doesn't have a brain it cannot think, feel, see, hear, or have memories. All that stuff happens in your brain. Without a brain none of this can take place. I know this for a fact because studies in neuroscience have proved that, by doing certain things to the brain, you can cause a person to be unable to see, hear, speak. feel, touch, have ,memories, or feel emotions.

None of those things take place in the "soul." Even if you believe the soul and brain are connected, you still have to face the fact that every thought, feeling, sensation, memory, etc. is an electrical impulse in the brain. Electricity is a physical thing. The spirit realm is NOT physical in any way, which means that there is no electricity in the spirit realm. Maybe one day JCP&L or some other utility company will find a way to set up a power grid in the spirit realm and make a few extra bucks charging the dead to phone home, but until they do there is NOTHING to fear from hell, and NOTHING to look forward to in heaven.

In other words, when you're dead you won't know it. You won't reunite with loved ones (thank God, since my Uncle Lenny was a freaking bore. I can't imagine spending eternity listening to his corny one-liners over and over and over again.)

There won;t be rejoicing in heaven since sous can't feel emotions. There won't be wailing and gnashing of teeth in hell because souls have no tear ducts or teeth.

Science has shown that everything you believe about the afterlife is bunk.

But I'll give you a chance to prove me wrong: simply describe for me exactly what your soul saw, heard, and thought the moment it entered your body. Describe in detail your day as a human being. Do you have any memories of that moment? Why not? I'll tell you why: because the BRAIN, not the soul, is where sensations are processed and memories stored. And your brain wasn't developed enough at that time to process the sensations and store the memories.

But as I said, I'm willing to give you a chance. No Bible verses, no diversions or deflections - describe in detail what your soul saw, heard, felt, or thought when it first entered your body, or admit that I'm right.

I look forward to either your concession or yet another insipid Bible verse which proves squadoosh.

Location hidden

#80 May 2, 2013
Ant wrote:
<quoted text>
I know its all faith in the end that I am going on, but I truly believe the Bible is the preserved word of God. Not the 100% inerrant version, but close to 97% accurate.
That was a very honest answer, and I thank you for that.

Location hidden

#81 May 2, 2013
little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting..because it states ' God tested Israel in the wilderness for forty years to find out what was in their heart...
So it appears God gives us an opportunity to choose which way to go..and then his foreknowledge tells us the consequence that choice brings.
Geez, what kind of mumbo-jumbo is THAT?

Either your omniscient God knows exactly what will happen in the future or he doesn't. Omniscience means the knowledge of EVERYTHING. Not just about everything, but everything.

If your God knows exactly what we will all do at every moment in our lives, then we are not able to change the future. Which means we have no free will, only the ILLUSION of free will.

If your God doesn't know exactly what all of us will do in the next second or minute, then he isn't omniscient and the intellectually honest thing to do would be to admit that.

If God knows all POSSIBLE futures then of course that's meaningless, because in that case there is no such thing as THE future, only an infinite set of possibilities. Even if you claim God knows ALL of those, what good is that? You'll either make the right choices or the wrong choices. Duh, even I know that. Hell, maybe I'M God!

Foreknowledge of the one specific future that is inevitable means that everything is predestined. And that means you don;t have the free will to change it.

Either God has that knowledge or he doesn't. Again, if he doesn't have that knowledge then he is not omniscient, and therefore an omniscient God doesn't exist. Or maybe one does, and you;re praying up the wrong totem pole.

If God DOES have that knowledge then whatever the future holds it has to be God's will. If I'm damned to hell then I was damned to hell at the moment God created me, which means God is a wicked and sadistic piece of crap. Worship such a God if you please, but I refuse to.

Face it, buddy, your God doesn't exist. There may be some other god but the one you've defined - omniscient AND granting humans free will - is as much an impossibility as a five-sided square.

Location hidden

#82 May 2, 2013
little lamb wrote:
<quoted text>
God does know the future..because when Adam and Eve sinned..
he has foreordained an administration to be set up in the full limit of times, to bring everything back to him..in heaven and on earth,,,so its always been an issue of ruler ship..the future..
Huh?

If God knows the future then he knew that Adam and Eve had no choice but to eat the fruit. It was all planned.

Think about it: God knows the future. He "knows" that Adam and Eve are perfect and will never sin. Then the serpent tempts them, and they sin. That surprises God, because he KNEW, without a doubt, that they would never sin.

What good is a God that knows everything but can still be surprised? Worthless! Not to mention impossible by definition.

So, If God knew the future, he knew Adam and Eve would sin. They had no choice. If they hadn't sin then - once again - God would have been surprised that things didn't turn out the way he "knew" they would.

You have to admit one or the other of these two things:

1) God doesn't know the future, therefore he isn't omniscient, therefore you don't pray to an omniscient god.

2) God knows the future, which means humans have no free will. We have no choice but to do the things God knows we will do before we do it. And that makes your God a sadistic jerk, because he punishes people who sin even though they had no choice - they were damned from the moment he created them.

Pick one, they both suck. Oh wait, there's one more choice:

3) Your God doesn't exist.

I'll go with #3, only because I'm intelligent, literate sensible, logical, rational, and a realist.

How about you?:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why lie about the truth? Christian mistranslat... 3 min messianic114 317
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 5 min 15th Dalai Lama 2,403
BIBLE QUESTIONS to KAB 12 min janeebee 49
I'm YOUR FATHER, IMITATE ME! (Jan '16) 2 hr I love Jesus 20
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 3 hr Big Al 9,539
Why the Earth Was Created in Six Days 3 hr I love Jesus 53
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 3 hr I love Jesus 20,487
More from around the web