Christianity is absurd
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#351 May 8, 2013
I realize that the words translated as 'slave' from Hebrew are not the same as we understand the word 'slave' to be. There were no paid servants back then because people couldn't affort to pay for any work. God allowed them to 'sell their daughters' as a way of earning.

EXODUS: 21:7-11 (New International Version)

7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant,(IF HE SELLS HER, IT WAS NOT AN ORDER) she is not to go free as male servants do.(AFTER SEVEN YEARS, BECAUSE THEN HER FOOD, SHELTER AND PROTECTION WOULD BE TAKEN FROM HER AND SHE'D BECOME DESPERATE AND PROBABLY BE FORCED TO SELL HERSELF)

8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed.(BY HER FAMILY, NOT JUST THROWN INTO THE STREET TO STARVE). He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her.(WHICH WAS PROBABLY DONE ANDHAD TO STOP)

9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter.(AND STOP TREATING LIKE A SERVANT)

10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights.

11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.(IF HE IS NOT WILLING TO DO IT THIS WAY, THEN HE CANNOT HAVE HER.
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#352 May 8, 2013
Which one of you was it that didn't even know the New Testament was originally Koine Greek??????

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#353 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
I realize that the words translated as 'slave' from Hebrew are not the same as we understand the word 'slave' to be. There were no paid servants back then because people couldn't affort to pay for any work. God allowed them to 'sell their daughters' as a way of earning.
EXODUS: 21:7-11 (New International Version)
7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant,(IF HE SELLS HER, IT WAS NOT AN ORDER) she is not to go free as male servants do.(AFTER SEVEN YEARS, BECAUSE THEN HER FOOD, SHELTER AND PROTECTION WOULD BE TAKEN FROM HER AND SHE'D BECOME DESPERATE AND PROBABLY BE FORCED TO SELL HERSELF)
8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed.(BY HER FAMILY, NOT JUST THROWN INTO THE STREET TO STARVE). He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her.(WHICH WAS PROBABLY DONE ANDHAD TO STOP)
9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter.(AND STOP TREATING LIKE A SERVANT)
10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights.
11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.(IF HE IS NOT WILLING TO DO IT THIS WAY, THEN HE CANNOT HAVE HER.
You are bending over backwards to justify slavery.

Here, try this:

"The Bible was written in an earlier time. We have matured socially since then. Things that the Bible supported or opposed in the past don't necessarily apply today. It is not the infallible word of a Wizard, but rather a collection of wisdom handed down for generations. Like all wisdom, some of it remains relevant, some does not."

If Christians would approach all conversations from THAT starting point, people could deal with them as adults.

Instead, you guys come at us sounding like this:

"Everything in this book is 100% correct, even the typos. If you don't believe what I TELL YOU it says (not what it actually says) then an invisible wizard might kill you and will certainly punish you after you die. Now, here's a list of things I hate..."
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#354 May 9, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
You are bending over backwards to justify slavery.
I AM NOT DEFNDING SLAVERY!!!!!!!
I am considering the fact that 'slavery' is a word that has been translated from Hebrew into English. Some people in those days willing became 'slaves', or they would have died slowly on the streets with nothing to eat, wear and no shelter.
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>Here, try this:
"The Bible was written in an earlier time. We have matured socially since then. Things that the Bible supported or opposed in the past don't necessarily apply today.
TRUE!!!!! THAT'S WHY CHRISTIANS DON'T LEAN MUCH ON THE OLD TESTAMENT. YOU'RE STARTING TO UNDERSTAND.
CONGRADULATIONS!
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#355 May 9, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
If Christians would approach all conversations from THAT starting point, people could deal with them as adults.
I have never been to a Christian Church yet, that gives out Bibles with the Old Testament included.
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>Instead, you guys come at us sounding like this:
"Everything in this book is 100% correct, even the typos.
I have never heard a Christian say that. and:

I can't work out why the Old Testament has books where it gives the death penalties for disobeying the commandments, then in the book of Ezekiel at the end of the OT God says "I TAKE NO PLEASURE IN THE DEATH OF THE WICKED, REPENT AND LIVE" (EZEKIEL 18 AND 33 AT LEAST).
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#356 May 9, 2013
EZEKIEL 18:27

But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life.
28 Because they consider all the offenses they have committed and turn away from them, that person will surely live; they will not die.
9 Yet the Israelites say,‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ "ARE MY WAYS UNJUST, PEOPLE OF ISRAEL? IS IT NOT YOUR WAYS THAT ARE UNJUST?"

30 “Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall.
31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel?
32 FOR I TAKE NO PLEASURE IN THE DEATH OF ANYONE, declares the Sovereign Lord. REPENT AND LIVE!"

EZEKIEL WAS A PROPHET. SORT OF PUTS A NEW MEANING ON JESUS SAYING HE CAME TO FULFILL THE LAWS OF THE PROPHETS. DOESN'T IT?
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#357 May 9, 2013
EZEKIEL 33:10

“Son of man,(EZEKIEL) say to the Israelites,‘This is what you are saying:“Our offenses and sins weigh us down, and we are wasting away because of them. How then can we live?”’

11 Say to them, "AS SURELY AS I LIVE, declares the Sovereign Lord, I TAKE NO PLEASURE INTHE DEATH OF THE WICKED, BUT RATHER THAT THEY TURN FROM THEIR WAYS AND LIVE. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?"
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#358 May 9, 2013
a
THAT WAS BEFORE GOD SENT HIS SECOND COVENANT!
Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#359 May 9, 2013
JESUS IN MATTHEW 13:7 TO THE TEACHERS OF THE LAW:

"7 You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8 This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Jesus is

Rowville, Australia

#360 May 9, 2013
MATTHEW 23:13

"But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees,(FOLLOWERS OF THE MOSAIC LAW) hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in."

Sceptical_Mal

“Born again atheist”

Since: Jun 12

Melbourne

#361 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
a
Do you have a brother from San Antonio, Texas?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#362 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
NO DARLING,
I read commentaries and understand better than you. Who said I like bacon?
MATTHEW 15:11 &#9658;
"What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."
And look at what comes out of the mouths of christians, hate, hate, "I am better than you" boasting, calls for violence hate hate hate

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#363 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
EZEKIEL 18:27
But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life.
28 Because they consider all the offenses they have committed and turn away from them, that person will surely live; they will not die.
And yet the christian cult does not stop disobeying their god but continue to do the same things claiming that the bible does not apply to them and they are forgiven so it is OK for them to continue to sin with out repenting or turning away from their sin.

More proof that your cult is not about worshiping a god but about elevating yourselves above others, power, wealth, and social status

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#364 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
"OVER AND OVER AGAIN"??????????
JOHN 10:16 &#9658;
"I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."
Yes, Jesus said OVER AND OVER AGAIN that his message was only for the Jews. Haven't you read the Holy Babble?

John 4:22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."

Matthew 15:22-26 And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying out after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." And he answered, "It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."

John 12:15 "Fear not, daughter of Zion; behold, YOUR king is coming, sitting on a donkey's colt!"

Matthew 10:5,6 These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Luke 22:25-30 And he said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves. You are those who have stayed with me in my trials, and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

Your quote from John 10:16 is suspect, for throughout his entire ministry and right up to the point just before the ascension Jesus said that he was the Messiah of the Jews and no one else.

You cited ONE verse. I cited FIVE.

I win, idiot.

Location hidden

#365 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
a
If God is infallible, what was wrong with the first one?

Checkmate, squid.

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#366 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
I AM NOT DEFNDING SLAVERY!!!!!!!
I am considering the fact that 'slavery' is a word that has been translated from Hebrew into English. Some people in those days willing became 'slaves', or they would have died slowly on the streets with nothing to eat, wear and no shelter.
Of course you are defending slavery.

Even your own quotes say things like "set free".

It is true that male Jews had the option of indentured servitude (much like Europeans had up until about 200 years ago), but the fact that the Bible mentions a different set of rules for Male Jewish Slaves means that it is condoning the existing rules for EVERYONE ELSE.

The Bible talks about how you can beat a slave to within an inch of his life.

Slavery, OF ALL KINDS, is a simple moral question. It's wrong. It's wrong in all forms. It's wrong in all cases.

The Bible does not come out and say: "Slavery in all forms is wrong".

This puts people like you in a strange position. Either the Bible is RIGHT and slavery is moral (which you know is false)
-or-
Or the Bible is not right about slavery which calls into question everything in the Bible.

So, you are trying to cheat your way out by saying that slavery is "sometimes right".

Except it isn't. AND, even if it was, the Bible says nothing about the "other kind of slavery" being wrong.

Location hidden

#367 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
I realize that the words translated as 'slave' from Hebrew are not the same as we understand the word 'slave' to be. There were no paid servants back then because people couldn't affort to pay for any work.
Nope, not true at all.

The Talmud contained two sets of laws, one for Canaanite slaves, and a more lenient set of laws for Hebrew slaves.

The laws governing non-Jewish slaves were more harsh than those governing Jewish slaves: non-Jewish slaves could be owned permanently, and bequeathed to the owner's children, whereas Jewish slaves were treated as servants, and were released after seven years of service.

The main source of non-Jewish slaves were prisoners of war. Jewish slaves, in contrast to non-Jewish slaves, became slaves either because of extreme poverty (in which case they could sell themselves to a Jewish owner) or because of inability to pay a debt.

Items found by Jewish slaves were owned by the slave, but items found by a non-Jewish slave belonged to the slave owner.

The Talmud explicitly prohibited the freeing of a non-Jewish slave, which was stricter that the biblical law which was silent on the issue, and simply permitted slaves to be owned indefinitely.

You can't possibly understand the Old Testament unless you're familiar with Jewish history. A really good book to read would be "A History of the Jews" by Paul Johnson.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#368 May 9, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
I realize that the words translated as 'slave' from Hebrew are not the same as we understand the word 'slave' to be. There were no paid servants back then because people couldn't affort to pay for any work.

Then why does your bible say that the workman is worthy of his wage, how did men pay 30 shekels of silver for sex slaves (other mens daughters)???
You got caught in your lie
little lamb

Saint Albans, Australia

#369 May 9, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Jesus said OVER AND OVER AGAIN that his message was only for the Jews. Haven't you read the Holy Babble?
John 4:22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."
Matthew 15:22-26 And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying out after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." And he answered, "It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."
John 12:15 "Fear not, daughter of Zion; behold, YOUR king is coming, sitting on a donkey's colt!"
Matthew 10:5,6 These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
Luke 22:25-30 And he said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves. You are those who have stayed with me in my trials, and I assign to you, as my Father assigned to me, a kingdom, that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."
Your quote from John 10:16 is suspect, for throughout his entire ministry and right up to the point just before the ascension Jesus said that he was the Messiah of the Jews and no one else.
You cited ONE verse. I cited FIVE.
I win, idiot.
But then Paul tells us Jesus came to his own people and they rejected him...and only a remnant turned up

And then God turned to the nations...and in Romans we are told

Romans 11 [12] Now their false step means riches to the world, and their decrease means riches to the nations, For as much as I am an Apostle to the nations I glorify my ministry.'

[17] However if some of the branches were broken off , but you though being a wild olive was grafted in among them...

We are grafted into the Israel of God...because a true Jew we are told is not one circumcised on the flesh , but whose circumcision is of the heart...

We are grafted into the Israel of God, and are in the new covenant that was promised to Israel...
little lamb

Saint Albans, Australia

#372 May 9, 2013
ILUVSATAN wrote:
Remarriage is Adultery
Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and the one who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.(Luke 16:18 NAB)
that is true..no wonder God states the world is sinking in its pollution and the land will vomit out the sinners in it.

but he gives us all an opportunity to repent..and he says he ' forgives us in a large way'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What religion was Enoch, Noah, and Abraham? (Oct '12) 32 min adelaide 1,567
judgment coming to america 35 min adelaide 115
Early Christianity (Dec '16) 2 hr Big Al 2,327
is it me or who else can see demons and angels ? (Nov '11) 2 hr Taranis 396
SUPER SERVERs 3 hr Neo Neo Neo 5
MECHANICAL TECHNICAL PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES o... 4 hr Neo Neo Neo 2
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 5 hr Ben Avraham 1,363
More from around the web