angelina

Chatham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

I have found it interesting to see how each of us Christians react differently to non christian posters which of course is to be expected due to the varying personalities here.

In Matthew 5.39 Jesus instructs us to "turn the other cheek."

I'd be interested to know what the Christians on this forum feel about how we should react to ridiculing posts from non believers.
How far do you feel we should go when turning the other cheek?
Should we fight back with a like for like attitude?

I would be interested in other christians thought here and if possible it would be good if you could back up your views with a scripture or two so that maybe this can be a bit of a bible study for us all:)
Thanks
Teresa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Hi, Angelina

My thoughts are that we should not react in a like-for-like for manner. We should react in the way in which we always should. Unfortunately when you offer an opposing or differing point of view all to often it is read with the same sarcasm that the original comment that prompted the response was made with. That's because it was there to begin with, in the eyes of one or both parties.

Then again- to lighten it up a little- some would say that in responding we are indeed offering up the other cheek! lol No doubt, you'll get another slap...or two.....or three...or....
Mechanic45

Wartburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

angelina wrote:
I have found it interesting to see how each of us Christians react differently to non christian posters which of course is to be expected due to the varying personalities here.
In Matthew 5.39 Jesus instructs us to "turn the other cheek."
I'd be interested to know what the Christians on this forum feel about how we should react to ridiculing posts from non believers.
How far do you feel we should go when turning the other cheek?
Should we fight back with a like for like attitude?
I would be interested in other christians thought here and if possible it would be good if you could back up your views with a scripture or two so that maybe this can be a bit of a bible study for us all:)
Thanks
Just don't lose heart, Angelina!

Romans 12:21...be not overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good...

Galatians 6:10...as we therefore have opportunity, let us do good unto all men,especiially those that are in the household of faith...

Jeremiah 23:29...is not My word like as a fire? saith the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock into pieces
Mechanic45

Wartburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

Teresa wrote:
Hi, Angelina
My thoughts are that we should not react in a like-for-like for manner. We should react in the way in which we always should. Unfortunately when you offer an opposing or differing point of view all to often it is read with the same sarcasm that the original comment that prompted the response was made with. That's because it was there to begin with, in the eyes of one or both parties.
Then again- to lighten it up a little- some would say that in responding we are indeed offering up the other cheek! lol No doubt, you'll get another slap...or two.....or three...or....
What I find interesting, Teresa, is that every time they scoff at us, they are only confirming our faith (1Pet 4:4-16)

Since: Sep 07

tampa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

Mechanic45 wrote:
<quoted text>What I find interesting, Teresa, is that every time they scoff at us, they are only confirming our faith (1Pet 4:4-16)
No one has exposed, what hypocrits they are, more than you christian pretenders....It proves that the more you try to see the world from the pattern you are programmed to stare at, the more dulled and in denial of your actions you become...So your words are your focus, that help live in the world of denial...THIS SICKNESS HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED AS GOD DELUSION...I have healed many from this delusion, Iam your physician...NO CHARGE...24 HOUR SERVICE...
angelina

Chatham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

zazenmind wrote:
<quoted text>..THIS SICKNESS HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED AS GOD DELUSION...I have healed many from this delusion, Iam your physician...NO CHARGE...24 HOUR SERVICE...
Well you're certainly humble, NOT!!
Teresa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

Mechanic45 wrote:
<quoted text>What I find interesting, Teresa, is that every time they scoff at us, they are only confirming our faith (1Pet 4:4-16)
Indeed!
And scripture is shown to hold more and more truth, added to the first that we found.

Thanks for the scripture- that was exactly what I needed to hear today. You do (His) good work.
angelina

Chatham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Mechanic45 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just don't lose heart, Angelina!
Romans 12:21...be not overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good...
Galatians 6:10...as we therefore have opportunity, let us do good unto all men,especiially those that are in the household of faith...
Jeremiah 23:29...is not My word like as a fire? saith the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock into pieces
Thanks Mr. Mechanic:)
Its not that I'm losing heart, its more a case of wondering just how other Christians react to negative comments about their faith.
Those are good scriptures for the subject.

I'm inclined to think that if we fight back with the same weapons as the non believers, i.e. harsh words and anger then we achieve nothing much.

Psalm 19.14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight O Lord.

I think maybe it would be good to consider whether the words we use on our posts would be acceptable in Gods sight before we hit the send key:)
Thanks again for your thoughts M45,

tampa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Teresa wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed!
And scripture is shown to hold more and more truth, added to the first that we found.
Thanks for the scripture- that was exactly what I needed to hear today. You do (His) good work.
Escapism is not going to heal or cleanse you pretenders of those things hidden by the mask you have been given to wear and the scriptures, that come with it...If it was going to work, you would not half the problems you have within your religion and those outside, that you all claim you are not of or in, I forget what scripture you given as a way of insolating and isolating yourselves from reality...WAKE UP..
Heather

Stockton-on-tees, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

angelina wrote:
<quoted text>Well you're certainly humble, NOT!!

With Z.Z. there is not much point in acknowledging him. Some of the things he has said on other forums I once agreed with. After a while, I came to learn he has become the very same thing he disliked Christians for.
To put it bluntly, if you were to come onto a forum where he was innocently talking about something exclusively Atheist and preached the Bible - it is not unreasonable to expect him to go nuts. Yet what he is doing is pretty much the same.

Sorry this is off topic. I wouldn't call myself a huge religious believer although I have recently supported theist arguments. If I have ran into anybody here during a debate then you must realise that I have no problem with Christians at all. My very best friends are usually either Christian theist or atheist, only one other is Pagan like me.
However, there is never any debate so it seems between us. We put it aside and we all enjoy being together.

Some things Christian stories or quotations really do get to me on a spiritual level and I will not deny that or dumb it down.
Some of you here are severely misrepresented and so have many non-believers. I hope we can understand and sppreciate each other's beliefs.:)
Teresa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

zazenmind wrote:
<quoted text>Escapism is not going to heal or cleanse you pretenders of those things hidden by the mask you have been given to wear and the scriptures, that come with it...If it was going to work, you would not half the problems you have within your religion and those outside, that you all claim you are not of or in, I forget what scripture you given as a way of insolating and isolating yourselves from reality...WAKE UP..
Some years ago, just before my salvation, I sat down with my super sized sketch pad. I absolutely love a blank page. I started sketching and next thing I know I'm drawing a self portrait- something I'd never even entertained the thought of (most artists hate trying to do this, because it requires the utmost degree of honesty). I was saddened when I saw the painful expression I had drawn onto my face, it was absolute agony. I used my eraser just a bit and added a few lines here and there and viola! it was now a mask. It was one I had been given to wear, apparently on the inside I still had it on. Making it something real but temporary was very freeing.
angelina

Chatham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Heather wrote:
<quoted text>
With Z.Z. there is not much point in acknowledging him. Some of the things he has said on other forums I once agreed with. After a while, I came to learn he has become the very same thing he disliked Christians for.
To put it bluntly, if you were to come onto a forum where he was innocently talking about something exclusively Atheist and preached the Bible - it is not unreasonable to expect him to go nuts. Yet what he is doing is pretty much the same.
Sorry this is off topic. I wouldn't call myself a huge religious believer although I have recently supported theist arguments. If I have ran into anybody here during a debate then you must realise that I have no problem with Christians at all. My very best friends are usually either Christian theist or atheist, only one other is Pagan like me.
However, there is never any debate so it seems between us. We put it aside and we all enjoy being together.
Some things Christian stories or quotations really do get to me on a spiritual level and I will not deny that or dumb it down.
Some of you here are severely misrepresented and so have many non-believers. I hope we can understand and sppreciate each other's beliefs.:)
I too have a good friend who is more into new age type thinking but we also don't tend to discuss our beliefs. We both know vaguely where the other stand faith wise but its not a problem for us. We discuss our gardens, children, food and of course, being english, the weather:)
It is possible to get along with a bit of effort on both sides.

tampa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

If you were normal but you christians are supernatural spirit chasers, and Iam just a ordinary human being...But of course I will only be accepted if I entertain your so called supernatural beliefs....WAKE UP..

“Straight Shooter”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

Teresa wrote:
<quoted text>
Some years ago, just before my salvation, I sat down with my super sized sketch pad. I absolutely love a blank page. I started sketching and next thing I know I'm drawing a self portrait- something I'd never even entertained the thought of (most artists hate trying to do this, because it requires the utmost degree of honesty). I was saddened when I saw the painful expression I had drawn onto my face, it was absolute agony. I used my eraser just a bit and added a few lines here and there and viola! it was now a mask. It was one I had been given to wear, apparently on the inside I still had it on. Making it something real but temporary was very freeing.
Hi Teresa. Once there was a man---a very cruel man who lived in a small town in the distant country. Being so, he was attracted to women without scruples and without morals. They hated him, because he was powerful and took from them what he desired. One day, a very beautiful woman rode into their town, and he immediately thought he would take her under his wing. But she was far more than beautiful, and as he watched her, he began to fall in love with her, but his past would surely make this impossible. He went home to think about what he could do, knowing she would be leaving within three weeks. He made a mask---a mask resembing the perfect gentleman---after all, she was the perfect lady. For hours each day he practiced in front of the mirror his speech, inflexions, style, etc. The day drew near. He had to talk to her, and when he did, she too began to fall in love with the masked man, and soon enough they spent much time with each other, eventually marrying and living in a cottage out in the country. Things could not have been better until one afternoon, as he gazed out of his front, living room window, he began hearing what sounded like hoof prints. Sure enough, from the distance came galloping what soon enough was to be seen an old, immodest relationship with one of the town prostitutes...
She would surely recognize his voice and find him out. He became frightened and did not know what to do. His wife, coming out from the bedroom, and standing behind him asked what was wrong, but he did not know what to say, and began trembling---trembling so hard that his mask fell off in front of him. He picked it up, and in terror ran into the bathroom and shut the door. But when he turned on the lights and lookat himself in the mirror, his face had changed into the face of the mask.

God tells us not only to know our Savior, but to be like Him. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey my commands." In doing so, we begin to change and act just like Jesus. It becomes us!

Regards,
Stoobee

“Life Force One”

Since: Jul 07

The Spiritual Universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Mechanic45 wrote:
No, you're deluding yourself by saying that. For it is only your pride and arrogance that gets confirmed.

The main problem with Christians is that they've been brainwashed into believing everything they've been told. And it is a very effective reward/punishment brainwashing system at that, I see the effects of it every day on these forums.

Thus, when confronted with some fact showing the falseness of their religion they automatically become defensive and lash out. Mostly through fear, but also their pride doesn't want to admit they could be wrong, and they don't want to give up that holier than thou arrogance that's been driven into their heads.

Although all you Christians deny it, you've been brainwashed over and over and over, to blindly accept the Jesus myth and everything else about Christianity. And you're "saved" if you do and damned if you don't. AND YOU CANNOT GET BEYOND THAT BRAINWASHING!

And that's why you absolutely cannot allow yourself to see the evil truths of your religion or agree with any other belief. Your pride and arrogance blinds you from seeing the truth or any other spiritual path. And the biggest problem with that is that you're being lied to.

Every minute of every day you all have the opportunity to learn, understand, and evolve. You do this by listening to others, exchanging ideas, observing the world around you etc. And you can't spiritually evolve by doing nothing more than shutting everything out and living your entire life based upon some awesomely corrupted primitive old books of inane gibberish. You should not be "turning the other cheek" (hiding), you should be listening, exchanging ideas, and be part of and observe the world around you, to spiritually evolve.

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Teresa wrote:
<quoted text>
Forget the blank paper, for me it would be more freeing getting a blank check.

“Life Force One”

The Spiritual Universe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

stoobee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Teresa. Once there was a man---a very cruel man who lived in a small town in the distant country. Being so, he was attracted to women without scruples and without morals. They hated him, because he was powerful and took from them what he desired. One day, a very beautiful woman rode into their town, and he immediately thought he would take her under his wing. But she was far more than beautiful, and as he watched her, he began to fall in love with her, but his past would surely make this impossible. He went home to think about what he could do, knowing she would be leaving within three weeks. He made a mask---a mask resembing the perfect gentleman---after all, she was the perfect lady. For hours each day he practiced in front of the mirror his speech, inflexions, style, etc. The day drew near. He had to talk to her, and when he did, she too began to fall in love with the masked man, and soon enough they spent much time with each other, eventually marrying and living in a cottage out in the country. Things could not have been better until one afternoon, as he gazed out of his front, living room window, he began hearing what sounded like hoof prints. Sure enough, from the distance came galloping what soon enough was to be seen an old, immodest relationship with one of the town prostitutes...
She would surely recognize his voice and find him out. He became frightened and did not know what to do. His wife, coming out from the bedroom, and standing behind him asked what was wrong, but he did not know what to say, and began trembling---trembling so hard that his mask fell off in front of him. He picked it up, and in terror ran into the bathroom and shut the door. But when he turned on the lights and lookat himself in the mirror, his face had changed into the face of the mask.
God tells us not only to know our Savior, but to be like Him. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey my commands." In doing so, we begin to change and act just like Jesus. It becomes us!
Regards,
Stoobee
I give a thumbs up for Teresa's story because it was real. Your's gets a thumbs down because it's not real and delusional.

“Straight Shooter”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Judged:

Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
I give a thumbs up for Teresa's story because it was real. Your's gets a thumbs down because it's not real and delusional.
Put your thumbs away. People all over the world, all the time, use parables and analogies to present a point. If I used a toy automobile to explain the simple concept of wheel rotation, is that not sufficient---or must I purchase a real autombile to make my point. BTW, check out the parables in the Bible---Jesus offers them as examples to validate his teaching. If an ant is smart, it moves aside when an elephant approaches---and while the ant is neither smart nor fast enough, the underlying truth of that proverb is just as real. You are playing word games to suggest that the analogy I am trying to make isn't valid. Or...maybe you do not understand the point, in which case I would be most happy to explain it.

But so that you know, I am unwilling to argue this back and forth with you; most people who read the story understand its simple, intended meaning.

Stoobee

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

zazenmind wrote:
If you were normal but you christians are supernatural spirit chasers, and Iam just a ordinary human being...But of course I will only be accepted if I entertain your so called supernatural beliefs....WAKE UP..
If we offend you so much, then you must ask yourself why you hang around us so much. You have to know that you do nothing but make our faith stronger by what you do. So, again, why do you hang around us so much?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2008

Seentheotherside wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're deluding yourself by saying that.
And just how would you know? Hmmmmm?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of126
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Does God exist? (Aug '11) 10 min Gary Coaldigger 5,845
Mormons are cool 13 min NorCal Native 34
JESUS DID NOT TAKE YOUR PLACE on THE CROSS 18 min xian_kim 90
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Dec '12) 18 min NorCal Native 77,379
Matthew 121:40 (Jan '13) 1 hr rstrats 14
Who Believes The Planet Is 6000 Years Old? 3 hr Thinking 16
Did Jesus die on Good Friday??? Nope 4 hr 15th Dalai Lama 14
•••
•••