Was Jesus a Carpenter or Not?

Was Jesus a Carpenter or Not?

Posted in the Christian Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Oct 7, 2013
Matthew 13:55
55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses,[a] Simon, and Judas?

Mark 6:3
3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.

So which is it, was he a carpenter, or just the son of a Carpenter?

Why no scriptural examples of him ever making anything or any verses describing his daily line of work?
Prophet of Jesus Christ

San Antonio, TX

#2 Oct 7, 2013
Ant wrote:
Matthew 13:55
55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses,[a] Simon, and Judas?
Mark 6:3
3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.
So which is it, was he a carpenter, or just the son of a Carpenter?
Why no scriptural examples of him ever making anything or any verses describing his daily line of work?
Please if you will...answer this question for me.

Are you worth it to God...to save you?

Yes or no?
Ant

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Oct 7, 2013
Prophet of Jesus Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please if you will...answer this question for me.
Are you worth it to God...to save you?
Yes or no?
I forgot about your mentally retarded behind, I thought you died or something. God still loves the wicked like you though.
Prophet of Jesus Christ

San Antonio, TX

#6 Oct 7, 2013
Ant wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot about your mentally retarded behind, I thought you died or something. God still loves the wicked like you though.
How come you sis not answer this questions?

Are you worth it to God...to save you?

Yes or no?
Jesus is

Kirribilli, Australia

#7 Oct 8, 2013
Ant wrote:
Matthew 13:55
55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses,[a] Simon, and Judas?
Mark 6:3
3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.
So which is it, was he a carpenter, or just the son of a Carpenter?
Why no scriptural examples of him ever making anything or any verses describing his daily line of work?
THINK IDIOT!

Matthew was an eye/ear witness, Mark reported what people had told him.
Jesus is

Kirribilli, Australia

#8 Oct 8, 2013
some fools are convinced that Matthew copied from Mark!!!
Cisco Kid

United States

#10 Oct 8, 2013
Ant wrote:
Matthew 13:55
55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Joses,[a] Simon, and Judas?
Mark 6:3
3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” So they were offended at Him.
So which is it, was he a carpenter, or just the son of a Carpenter?
Why no scriptural examples of him ever making anything or any verses describing his daily line of work?
Why would it make a difference if Jesus made stuff out of wood or not?
That's not the point of Jesus' ministry.

He did make wine out of water, which has yet to be duplicated.
But that didn't make Jesus a vintner.
Cisco Kid

United States

#11 Oct 8, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
some fools are convinced that Matthew copied from Mark!!!
Any inspired and educated theologian will tell you that both the synoptic gospels, Matthew and Luke, drew from Marks' gospel, which was a rendering of St.Peter's memoirs.
Cisco Kid

United States

#12 Oct 8, 2013
Jesus is wrote:
<quoted text>
THINK IDIOT!
Matthew was an eye/ear witness,....
Please explain how the evangelist Matthew was an eye/ear witness.
Prophet of Jesus Christ

San Antonio, TX

#13 Oct 8, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how the evangelist Matthew was an eye/ear witness.
Please if you will...answer this question for me.

Are you worth it to God...to save you?

Yes or no?
Prophet of Jesus Christ

United States

#14 Oct 8, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how the evangelist Matthew was an eye/ear witness.
I want to marry you and make you mines. I'm a flamming homo.
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#15 Oct 9, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would it make a difference if Jesus made stuff out of wood or not?
That's not the point of Jesus' ministry.
He did make wine out of water, which has yet to be duplicated.
But that didn't make Jesus a vintner.
Doesn't make a real difference, but its an interesting question. Why did Jesus rely more on fisherman or shepherding lore, a few times farming, over those who labor with their hands with raw materials, the builders, etc...didnt people know of such things, of carpenters and their work, especially among the lower classes Jesus circulated among...?

Why did Jesus completely ignore his alleged step-dad's line of work? Why no fellow carpenter, maybe a mason among his band-mates?
Punisher

Massapequa, NY

#16 Oct 9, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Any inspired and educated theologian will tell you that both the synoptic gospels, Matthew and Luke, drew from Marks' gospel, which was a rendering of St.Peter's memoirs.
So a theologian needs to be inspired? By who? Which God, which of the "People of the Book" versions...?
Cisco Kid

Clements, CA

#17 Oct 9, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't make a real difference, but its an interesting question. Why did Jesus rely more on fisherman or shepherding lore, a few times farming, over those who labor with their hands with raw materials, the builders, etc...didnt people know of such things, of carpenters and their work, especially among the lower classes Jesus circulated among...?
Why did Jesus completely ignore his alleged step-dad's line of work? Why no fellow carpenter, maybe a mason among his band-mates?
For your information, the techton or mechanic/carpenter was not counted among the "low class" of occupations.

That said, Jesus taught in a way that related to peoples understanding.
People of his time and place understood similes about shepherds and fish mongers.
To top it off, Jesus related to carpentry with the climax of the cross.

Next question?
Jesus Is

Kirribilli, Australia

#18 Oct 9, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Any inspired and educated theologian will tell you that both the synoptic gospels, Matthew and Luke, drew from Marks' gospel, which was a rendering of St.Peter's memoirs.
EDUCATE YOURSELF!!!!!!

The gospel of Peter is widely thought to date from after Peter's death. Scholars generally agree on a date in the second half of the 2nd century.

HERE'S A CLUE:
None of the synoptic gospels clearly state the name of the author. They were written to Glorify another person. The Gospel of Peter clearly states the author, without realizing that Peter was dead.
Jesus Is

Kirribilli, Australia

#19 Oct 10, 2013
THE APOCCALYPSE OF PETER IS FAKE:

The Apocalypse of Peter is not part of the canon since it was clearly not written by Peter nor even in the lifetime of the apostles. This is revealed by its use of 4 Esdras in Chapter 3, which was written around 100 AD. This is why the early church leader Origen of Palestine in 240 rejected it as spurious. The only dispute regarding the canon involved marginal books like Revelation, 2 Peter, Clement, The Shepherd of Hermas, the inclusion or exclusion of which would not affect the basic teachings and gospel message of the Church.
Jesus Is

Kirribilli, Australia

#20 Oct 10, 2013
Jesus Is

Kirribilli, Australia

#21 Oct 10, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain how the evangelist Matthew was an eye/ear witness.
a
HE WAS A DICIPLE OF JESUS. HE WAS THERE!
Thinking

Royston, UK

#22 Oct 10, 2013
As he is ~2000 years late, jesus is more likely to be a plumber than a carpenter.
Punisher

Mount Vernon, NY

#23 Oct 11, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
For your information, the techton or mechanic/carpenter was not counted among the "low class" of occupations.
That said, Jesus taught in a way that related to peoples understanding.
People of his time and place understood similes about shepherds and fish mongers.
To top it off, Jesus related to carpentry with the climax of the cross.
Next question?
I'll accept that...fair enough...skilled workers, artisans were deemed a bit higher class...at least among their own peoples...not necessarily the Romans.

But this leaves us with a problem...was Jesus a poser? Was he acting low-rent, when he wasn't? IF he was of a middle-class background - did he abandon it out of shame, disgust? And go about circulating with the lower classes out of some personal issues with his upbringing...as we have see with many people thru history..?(Siddhartha comes to mind.)

The cross is his homage to his carpentry past/skills?(If he actually had skills, we have no idea IF he was any good at the craft? maybe that's why he went off as an itinerant preacher...to many bashed fingers...Poppa Joe ran him off?)

I can see/hear it now...looking over as the guy with the hammer and nails approaches; "You are not gonna use that size nail are you? What are you guys amateurs? I'll fall right off the thing...get the 60d's and maybe some washers...!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BIBLE QUESTIONS to KAB 5 min BARNS Bro 86
The Moral Failure Of Christians 12 min ROG 7
Why the Earth Was Created in Six Days 14 min I love jesus 69
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 20 min Big Al 9,569
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 32 min ROG 20,538
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 55 min Big Al 2,445
Why lie about the truth? Christian mistranslat... 1 hr Barnsweb 346
PAUL OUR FATHER . 1Cor 4: 15 (Feb '16) 4 hr I love jesus 112
A God Who Disagrees With The Data 9 hr KAB 474
More from around the web