Court rules B.A. Discriminated against Christian employee.

Posted in the Christian Forum

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Jan 15, 2013

“so tell me......”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

A British Airways employee suffered discrimination at work over her Christian beliefs, the European Court of Human Rights has ruled.

Judges ruled Nadia Eweida's rights had been violated under Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

She took her case to the European Court of Human Rights after BA made her stop wearing a cross visibly.

Judges ruled that the rights of three other Christians had not been violated by their employers.

Following the rulings, the Archbishop of York said Christians and those of other faiths "should be free to wear the symbols of their own religion without discrimination".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21025332
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

As you posted yourself, 75% of these well funded high profile christian pressure group cases were kicked out of court.
angelinaUK wrote:
A British Airways employee suffered discrimination at work over her Christian beliefs, the European Court of Human Rights has ruled.
Judges ruled Nadia Eweida's rights had been violated under Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
She took her case to the European Court of Human Rights after BA made her stop wearing a cross visibly.
Judges ruled that the rights of three other Christians had not been violated by their employers.
Following the rulings, the Archbishop of York said Christians and those of other faiths "should be free to wear the symbols of their own religion without discrimination".

“so tell me......”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Thinking wrote:
As you posted yourself, 75% of these well funded high profile christian pressure group cases were kicked out of court.
<quoted text>
Morning,
Personally I wouldn't have even bothered to go to court about the right to wear a cross to work. I don't feel we should rely on bits of symbolic jewellery to show our faith.

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Made in Yorkshire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

angelinaUK wrote:
From your link.

"British Airways said: "Our own uniform policy was changed in 2007 to allow Miss Eweida and others to wear symbols of faith and she and other employees have been working under these arrangements for the last six years."
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

The complainant probably got caught up in it all.

Of course she should be able to wear a discrete cross, assuming she's not in a job that brings her face into close proximity of intermeshing blades. Common sense should apply.

However, two of the cases were really petty anti gay cases. The nasty people that give believers a bad name. There are well funded tax exempt religious groups at work here. They should've spent their money on something worthwhile instead.
angelinaUK wrote:
<quoted text>Morning,
Personally I wouldn't have even bothered to go to court about the right to wear a cross to work. I don't feel we should rely on bits of symbolic jewellery to show our faith.
Thinking

Huntingdon, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

To summarise: she wasn't prevented from wearing a cross, she was prevented from wearing a non-BA standard cross?
Roland_Deschain wrote:
<quoted text>
From your link.
"British Airways said: "Our own uniform policy was changed in 2007 to allow Miss Eweida and others to wear symbols of faith and she and other employees have been working under these arrangements for the last six years."

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

angelinaUK wrote:
Corporations have a right to decide how to present their business. If they don't want to offend others of a different religion,or those with NO religion,it is their right. I think it's a good decision. Let the Christians take all that born again evangelical money and create their own airline and discriminate against whom they want.

“Naturalism - Nature is Enough”

Since: Nov 07

Made in Yorkshire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
To summarise: she wasn't prevented from wearing a cross, she was prevented from wearing a non-BA standard cross?
<quoted text>
She was never prevented from wearing a cross. BA merely asked her to keep it under her clothing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

48 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 4 min Nc resident 11,647
A Message from Nettie 12 min Nc resident 1,195
I am him 25 min jesus 28
Satan in my Dream 1 hr howstupidareyou 22
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 1 hr howstupidareyou 1,428
BIBLE CONTRADICTION: Mark 4:11-12, 2 Peter 3:9 1 hr howstupidareyou 28
Stevi Levi's Loony Lying Lair 1 hr Weepy 4
Islam vs Christian heaven 1 hr howstupidareyou 48
WHAT GOD SAID to ME TODAY 1 hr howstupidareyou 276