Why evolution is true

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#945 Jul 4, 2013
Cliff09 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only ONE type of Christian. They may go by the name of Baptist, Evangelist, or whatever name they choose to distinguish their group, but their Christianity does not vary! Christianity is just one!
a) believe Jesus is the son of God
b) believe what Jesus tells/teaches you that you MUST do.
c) do what Jesus tells you to do.
d) repent
e) baptize in the name of Jesus.
This is all men is called to do, and all that do this are christians.
There is no progressive or whatever you may call it that diverts from the above facts, that qualifies as CHRISTIAN!
Read what a Christian is.
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/christi...
Read about the Gospel of accommodation
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/David-W...
It's a hate site, Cliff.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#946 Jul 4, 2013
Punisher wrote:
1. <quoted text>Kudos to the natives who saw thru the Xtian teachings. Which is what you seem to be referring to...a case of the Evangelists simply preaching...words, ideas, POV.
I was talking about and referring to the other times...when the advanced weaponized White men enforced their POV, and destroyed the Natives'. Obliterated it, stole it, trampled them and it into the dirt. We, our ancestral Americans nearly obliterated the Native American cultures. Plural. There were a lot of them.
You speak of the kinder, gentler more loving Xtians - in many cases ruled by the Rule of Law. Where the indigenous peoples were not just in the way.

2. You Xtians love to forget that part of the History and legacy of the Xtian Churches...
1. I think you have to kind of admit that when referring to the early American-Native American conflict that the wording can get a bit tough to choose. When to day "Christian", and when to say "White man" for instance. Sort of like my having to choose when to use the terms "religion" and "Christian". We all I think instinctively know that Native Americans don't merely take issue with Christians/Christianity. They are not going to, on many occasions, get too impressed about a White American's lack of religion/Christianity.

2. Realizing you are speaking in general terms, I don't think it needs to be forgotten at all. Quite the opposite. But I also don't think it should be used as a means to develop a scapegoat.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#947 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
1. <quoted text>
If that were true then our prisons would be flooded with atheists,
They aren't.
In fact, less than 1% of our prison population are atheist, agnostic, or non-religious. Compare that to the 15% of Americans who openly state that they are atheist, agnostic, or non-religious.
Meanwhile, 73% of Americans are Christians, and 92% of our prisoners are Christians. Would you like to debate whether Christianity or non-belief is a better indicator of tendency toward crime? You'll lose.
1. I have been to jail a few times, but admittedly never prison. If jail holds any similarity to a prison (which we all know it does), then I can tell you that prison ministry is not an easy occupation as it's not unusual for prison/jail 'ministers' to experience harsh rejection, which probably includes verbal abuse towards "God".

This is an example of twisting facts and stats that I mentioned earlier to give a false impression of superior morality. High-profile, organized, activist 'atheism' comes across as consisting of the more educated because they are the one's who specifically 'are' "high-profile", "organized", "activist", etc. There are obviously 'many' agnostics and atheists who don't wear their atheism on their sleeve. The way Christians are identified in the U.S. is by church membership. Now we know that there are "theologians" that are agnostic and even atheist, so how much more casual church members are going to be less out-spoken agnostics and atheists?

Another problem with your prison stats is that if it were actually 'true', why would there be 'need' of prison ministries? By prison ministries, I'm not talking about prison church services to minister to those who are already Christian. They are there to introduce the One who came to set them free. The irony is that prison ministries are effective. We don't see a whole lot of Separation Of Church And State lingo when it comes to changed lives of criminals.

In other words....why are there a good number of 'converts' to Christianity within prisons if there are 'already' so many Christians?
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#948 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
1.<quoted text>

Among the countries with the lowest crime rates and/or rates of incarceration are Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Finland, and Denmark, which coincidentally have the largest percentage of non-religious citizens.

2. Another country with an almost non-existent crime rate is Macau, where only about 7% of the people are Christian. Most of its citizens are Taoists and Buddhists.

Here's a fact that you probably will not care for: the most violent people among us are the one who hold most closely to the fundamentalist creeds.
Extremist Muslims fly planes into buildings, not moderate Muslims.
Extremist Christians assassinate abortion doctors and commit mass suicide in anticipation of the return of Jesus, not moderate and liberal Christians.
Extremist Jews blow up religious buildings and commit acts of terror in the Middle East, not moderate and liberal Jews.
Show me someone who committed such an act in the name of atheism. You can't.
Are there violent people who are atheists? Definitely. But atheism itself has never been a rallying cry to take up arms or explosives and commit massive acts of violence.
Sorry, but you're very misguided about this issue. Atheists as a group are more peaceful and less likely to commit violent acts than are religious people, especially religious extremists.
1. These countries also have a relatively small population density considering their geographical size, and have relatively 'less' poverty than many countries with a higher crime rate.

2. Macau is basically a city in "China". And not even a big one at that. It only took me about an hour or so to walk across one end to the other. It's referred to as a country because of it's prior colonial status, and it's current "Special Administrative" status. We could easily take a city somewhere in the U.S. with a relatively low crime-rate, a relatively high church attendance, and use it to "prop" Christianity. We just couldn't call it a "country".

3. Please refer to post# 96, reference# "6".
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#949 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
1. <quoted text>
I have read all three Humanist Manifestos, and nowhere in any of them is there the slightest indication that secular humanism is a religion.
A proper religion must include reverence to an unseen deity. Secular humanism rejects the existence of any such deities and does not encourage belief in any, much less worship or reverence towards any unseen deity or deities.

2. "Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."
Religious belief include acknowledgement of a supernatural entity, so clearly secular humanism, by rejecting supernaturalism in the very first sentence of its manifesto, cannot be considered a religion.
Lost of religious folks can't imagine how anyone can live well and happily without a religious belief of some sort, so in order to assuage their cognitive dissonance they opine that atheism, or secular humanism, must therefore be religions themselves.
They aren't.
1. Okay. But that doesn't do much for the communist god-king/deity theme when attempting to veer them away from the "atheist camp" into a "religious camp".

2. I'm not implying that there aren't good atheist/agnostic people. Not at all. I have family members that are in that category.

I have to say though, I do kind of wonder about some people's view of human life in a more specific relation to anti-theistic atheism. I have encountered someone who speaks the "love/humanism" language (a professed 'anti-theist'), and believes that the mentally retarded should be eliminated at the time of birth (and maybe even after?). He honestly seems to think it would be doing them a favor.

What is evident to me is that Jesus Christ's standards are far above humanist standards.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#950 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a link?
http://www.amazon.com/review/R26K81716YWSQO
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#951 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to the looting after a natural disaster. Did your God cause the natural disaster? If not why did he allow it to happen?
Why did he allow the looting that followed the natural disaster?
Without getting into the whole "fall" theme and it's effect on nature, the Bible seems to indicate that at times there's a more 'direct' involvement, and at times it may be more circumstantial. As far as 'looting', obviously like anything else, it's a decision one makes. In this case, it's more "mass" coerced. A sort of collective 'frenzy' that hits a group of people. It's still however a 'personal' decision to take part in.

I just can't help but ponder certain ironies. For instance, if you see a picture of the Tambora volcano which killed many people, do you hang it on your wall, draw a bulls eye on it, throw darts at it, etc.?

Do atheistic scientists abhor that volcano, placing it in infamy with Adolph Hitler?

I guess God could have made every non-living object rubber, styrofoam, cotton, etc. That may have lessened the number of natural disasters. "What? You say there's an avalanche coming? No worries, the rocks are made out of sponge. They'll bounce right off of us".

Basically, it seems, nature, including it's extremity is fascinating just so long as God has nothing to do with it.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#952 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your God intervene in human affairs? If so, how does he pick his spots?
For instance, why does he reverse the skin cancer of a 90-year-old man but allows the four-year-old to suffer an agonizing death from brain cancer?
Better yet, why does he "save" an inmate on Death Row but allow Hitler to rack up 13 million kills?
Your God is a fiction. And if he is real, he's really bad at his job.
If God is real (which I know He is), He has created probably a number of things that interest you. Why do some get miraculously healed and some don't? The ultimate healing for one is eternal life. The passing from life on earth into the next life for a believer is going to happen at one time or another. There are 2 people in the Bible that never died (Enoch and Elijah). They were however taken away from life on earth. Was that unfair? They certainly could have remained on earth for a longer period of time. Was Elijah's departure better than Elisha's who died of an illness? They both entered into eternal life.

I know that you don't believe these incidences happen. But since you do base some of your anti-biblical thoughts based 'on' actual scripture, you can't just completely look over what the Bible states concerning the life after death of a believer.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#953 Jul 4, 2013
You can't just completely overlook what the Bible states concerning the life after death of a believer.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#954 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
I should have been more clear. I was thinking about how evangelical Christians are trying to turn America into a theocracy, and my response to that would be my preference to vote for secular humanism as a guiding philosophy instead.
Sorry about the confusion.
That's quite alright.

However....the idea that evangelical Christians are trying to turn America into a theocracy I would say is where the major flaw would exist.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#955 Jul 4, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
1. <quoted text>
In general, the people who are most educated are the least religious, and those that are religious are the least dogmatic.

2. So yes, liberal Christians are better educated, on average, than evangelical Christians.

3. They also tend to stay married longer and have a lower divorce rate than evangelical Christians. Bet you didn't know that...
1. Those that are religious are the least dogmatic? Am I reading this right?

2. I wasn't so much emphasizing your opinion between evangelical Christians and liberal Christians, as your opinion between atheists and liberal Christians. Here's what you stated:
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious belief - or ANY supernatural belief - is indeed a crutch. it's for weak people who need to believe that there is a "higher power" looking out for them, or that there is an "afterlife" wherein their departed loved ones dwell and wait for them.
Religion and spirituality speak to the emotions, whereas logic and science speak to the mind.
If the world had no religion or spirituality of a supernatural sort it would be a better place. Why? Because once you realize that human life is finite, and that we all have to look out for ourselves and each other, then life becomes precious for its finiteness and human cooperation becomes essential to our survival.

This would probably (I would) think 'include' liberal Christians because they do, by your own words, need a crutch. Of course in your opinion they are higher up the ladder than evangelical Christians. But not as high as atheists (which by no strange coincidence a category you seem to fall into). Or am I wrong?

3. Something I've heard 'many' times over. What stats 'do' reveal, is that evangelicals who are "committed" to the faith divorce "less"! That is, apply their life to actual Biblical principles divorce less. Being a Christian involves a certain amount of "work/practice". If Christian principles are not applied, they benefit little.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#956 Jul 5, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
<quoted text>
So Satan, egomaniac that he is alleged to be, operates in secret? That's so laughable!
Only to those whom Satan is leading to Hell.

Revelation 20:10 (NKJV)
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Location hidden

#957 Jul 5, 2013
Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-religious people don't hope hell isn't real, that's a figment of your imagination.
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Big Al

Hibbing, MN

#958 Jul 5, 2013
Job wrote:
You have the wrong Joey. I believe HighlyEvolved was referring to Joey Gallo also known as "Crazy Joe" and "Joe the Blond" of the Profaci crime family, who was murdered on April 7, 1972. Your link says…

“’Joey's’ real name was Max Kurschner. Although his co-writer David Fisher was coy about disclosing that in the forward to the reissue of the book (he refers to him by his alias ‘Joey Black’), his identity had been known since 1976 when he pled guilty to tax evasion charges for failing to declare $92,000 in income he received from royalties for the three books he 'wrote' with Fisher."

A man murdered in 1972 could not have pled guilty to tax evasion in 1976 unless he had risen from the dead.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#959 Jul 5, 2013
Big Al wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the wrong Joey. I believe HighlyEvolved was referring to Joey Gallo also known as "Crazy Joe" and "Joe the Blond" of the Profaci crime family, who was murdered on April 7, 1972. Your link says…
“’Joey's’ real name was Max Kurschner. Although his co-writer David Fisher was coy about disclosing that in the forward to the reissue of the book (he refers to him by his alias ‘Joey Black’), his identity had been known since 1976 when he pled guilty to tax evasion charges for failing to declare $92,000 in income he received from royalties for the three books he 'wrote' with Fisher."
A man murdered in 1972 could not have pled guilty to tax evasion in 1976 unless he had risen from the dead.
I know who HighlyEvolved was referring to. I was referring to "Joey The Hitman" (I'm the one who brought this up), who kept his identity hidden. And he was "hit" himself in 1982. I remember when this happened:

"In January,1982 he was killed by a shotgun blast to the back as he walked to his car in the parking lot of a motel in San Mateo, CA".

“praying for you!”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#960 Jul 5, 2013
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Monkeys have tails. We are not descended from monkeys.
Just thought you should know.
trust me i know that. we were wonderfully and fearfully created by God.
Conservative

San Diego, CA

#961 Jul 5, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says we have free will. It also says, if we don't except it on faith, we will be "tormented in hell day and night forever" after we die. That's not free will, it's coercion.

A man toting the Bible walked up to me on my front lawn about 2 months ago. He asked if I was a Christian and I said no. He said I would be tortured in hell when I die if I don't except the free gift and become a believer. I simply told him to get off my property if you're going to threaten me with your beliefs..I'm sure he was a very nice but deluded man and he lift.

When Christians post these threats of torment on topix, like you just did to me, they never answer the non-believers post back to them to debate the issue. Your buddy poster "Job" is a perfect example of not answering posts to him. He too is a typical delusional believer.

_________

Definition of coercion:

To force to act or think in a certain way by use of pressure, threats, or intimidation; compel.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coerced

Location hidden

#962 Jul 5, 2013
Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says we have free will. It also says, if we don't except it on faith, we will be "tormented in hell day and night forever" after we die. That's not free will, it's coercion.
Call it whatever you like. Hell fire is real.
Conservative

San Diego, CA

#963 Jul 5, 2013
Job wrote:
<quoted text>
What stats 'do' reveal, is that evangelicals who are "committed" to the faith divorce "less"!
Can you provide a link to those "stats" or is the reading public supposed to believe it because evangelical "Job" said so.
Conservative

San Diego, CA

#964 Jul 5, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Call it whatever you like. Hell fire is real.
The hell fire you love to post means the Bibles free will is coercion rendering it meaningless. If you disagree please explain why which I know you won't do..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you believe in tolerance for Gay Christians? 6 min little lamb 172
Dead Sea Scrolls Fail To Mention Jesus 20 min KAB 41
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 38 min Demon Finder 1,844
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 39 min KAB 5,734
News Religion, higher education and critical thinking (Aug '15) 57 min Trevor McDonut 9,308
Jesus admitted he isn't God, so why do Christia... (Oct '11) 1 hr Demon Finder 56
God Has Preordained All Things 1 hr Demon Finder 4
Design, Nowhere Evident 4 hr messianic114 255
More from around the web