Why evolution is true
First Prev
of 53
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#1 Jun 1, 2013
Evolution is an undeniable fact. There is a lot of misinformation about it, most notably that humans evolved from apes or chimps. No evolutionary biologist has ever made this claim. In fact, every book, paper, and article on human evolution acknowledges that humans, chimps, and bonobos evolved from a common ancestor - a hominid, a species that was neither human nor chimp but contained the DNA that would eventually diverge into human DNA and chimp DNA.

I welcome other posters to use this thread to post articles and other information that demonstrates why evolution is a scientific fact.

To begin, I'd like to offer the deniers a puzzle: the Juan Fernandez archipelago are four small specks of land totaling about forty square miles and lying four hundred miles west of Chile.

The islands are uninhabited by humans, but they are a living museum of rare and exotic plants and animals, with many species that are endemic - found nowhere else in the world. Among them are five species of birds, 126 species of plants, a fur seal, and a handful of insects.

No comparable area anywhere in the world has so many endemic species. But the islands are just as notable for what is MISSING: it harbors not one single native species of amphibian, reptile, or mammal - groups that are common on continents throughout the world.

This pattern of bizarre and efflorescent forms of endemic life, with many major groups strikingly absent, gives striking proof of evolution.

The field of biogeography studies the distribution of species on earth, and the biogeographic evidence for evolution is now so powerful that there isn't a single creationist book, article, or Web site that has tried to refute it.

Creationists simply pretend that the evidence doesn't exist. In other words, they are willfully omitting - lying, if you will - in order to perpetuate the myth that all species were created at the same time, in their present form.

People who deny evolution and embrace creationism need to ask themselves why this field of study is ignored. What are the creationists afraid of?

NDanger

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#2 Jun 1, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Evolution is an undeniable fact. There is a lot of misinformation about it, most notably that humans evolved from apes or chimps. No evolutionary biologist has ever made this claim. In fact, every book, paper, and article on human evolution acknowledges that humans, chimps, and bonobos evolved from a common ancestor - a hominid, a species that was neither human nor chimp but contained the DNA that would eventually diverge into human DNA and chimp DNA.
I welcome other posters to use this thread to post articles and other information that demonstrates why evolution is a scientific fact.
To begin, I'd like to offer the deniers a puzzle: the Juan Fernandez archipelago are four small specks of land totaling about forty square miles and lying four hundred miles west of Chile.
The islands are uninhabited by humans, but they are a living museum of rare and exotic plants and animals, with many species that are endemic - found nowhere else in the world. Among them are five species of birds, 126 species of plants, a fur seal, and a handful of insects.
No comparable area anywhere in the world has so many endemic species. But the islands are just as notable for what is MISSING: it harbors not one single native species of amphibian, reptile, or mammal - groups that are common on continents throughout the world.
This pattern of bizarre and efflorescent forms of endemic life, with many major groups strikingly absent, gives striking proof of evolution.
The field of biogeography studies the distribution of species on earth, and the biogeographic evidence for evolution is now so powerful that there isn't a single creationist book, article, or Web site that has tried to refute it.
Creationists simply pretend that the evidence doesn't exist. In other words, they are willfully omitting - lying, if you will - in order to perpetuate the myth that all species were created at the same time, in their present form.
People who deny evolution and embrace creationism need to ask themselves why this field of study is ignored. What are the creationists afraid of?
Where are all the 'transitional' fossils?

Location hidden

#3 Jun 1, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.livescience.com/3306-fossils-revea...

NDanger

“Third Eye”

Since: Nov 10

You can't get there from here.

#4 Jun 1, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Mere speculation of the 'unobserved' past...

Location hidden

#5 Jun 1, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Not speculation at all, for one simple reason - every prediction based on the models of evolutionary biology has come true.

For example, if we determine that organism A lived 30 million years ago in X part of the world, and we also determine that organism C, which resembles organism A and lived 10 million years ago in location X, then if we propose that a transitional organism, B, lived around 20 million years ago we can verify this very simply: we go to location X and examine the sediment layers that are 20 million years old.

And guess what? Voila!- we find fossils of organism B in that sediment layer.

This is exactly what paleontologists and other evolutionary biologists have been doing for decades.

Meanwhile, we've yet to find Noah's ark, or the ruins of the Tower of babel, or Jesus' birth or death certificate.

The evidence is clearly in my favor and not in yours. Sorry!

Location hidden

#6 Jun 1, 2013
Simply stated, evolution is falsifiable, and Christianity is just plain false.
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#7 Jun 1, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats just trite and about as belligerent to the facts, and thousands and thousands of scientists hard work.

Unobserved past!? What a dumb-arse phrase that we can basically use to negate 98% of all religious claims as all of them are unobserved, and left unreported in most cases, in some cases for hundreds of years and more (cobbled together from folklore and myths) and in many others never actually observed by anyone laying ownership to faith based claims being real. Be they miracles, the tearing of the curtain in the temple - or more importantly the resurrection - which was NOT observed in the actual sense by anyone. No one saw Jesus rise from the dead! No one! As an empty tomb is not proof of rising from the dead - only an empty tomb.

Floyd, VA

#8 Jun 1, 2013
Evolution is just a belief that Atheists and others share who don't share religious beliefs.
We all have to believe in something.
I don't believe everything that scientists says because even they have been known to be wrong or not entirely accurate yet there are those who hangs on to every thing that scientists will come up with and say.
When it comes to religion,for example,I don't look at whether or not to believe Jesus actually walked on water,I specifically look at the message that he brought and study the parables he spoke of.
I don't expect everyone to believe everything that I do nor is it my place to condemn them if they don't.
People has to choose their own path,no one else can choose it for us.
What we all believe or don't believe in is least important than how we live our lives according to what we believe.
A Christian can brag all day long that he or she believes in Jesus Christ but if they don't apply the teachings of what all Jesus taught then bragging about believing in Jesus is all they got.
Same way with those who are not religious and they believe in a form of evolution or moral code that does not consist of any religion at all.
If they do not follow that moral code that they claim to believe in and if they do not strive to evolve to better themselves then then they too have nothing to show for other than express what they believe.
Believing in something is one thing but applying that belief is another.
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#9 Jun 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
Evolution is just a belief that Atheists and others share who don't share religious beliefs.

I don't believe everything that scientists says because even they have been known to be wrong or not entirely accurate yet there are those who hangs on to every thing that scientists will come up with and say.

When it comes to religion,for example,I don't look at whether or not to believe Jesus actually walked on water,I specifically look at the message that he brought and study the parables he spoke of.
I don't expect everyone to believe everything that I do nor is it my place to condemn them if they don't.

What we all believe or don't believe in is least important than how we live our lives according to what we believe.

A Christian can brag all day long that he or she believes in Jesus Christ but if they don't apply the teachings of what all Jesus taught then bragging about believing in Jesus is all they got.
Same way with those who are not religious and they believe in a form of evolution or moral code that does not consist of any religion at all.

If they do not follow that moral code that they claim to believe in and if they do not strive to evolve to better themselves then then they too have nothing to show for other than express what they believe.
I know many Xtians and others of other faiths who do believe that Evo is true. The RCC supports it, as do others.

Plus its not a belief equal to a Religious belief. So be careful how you use the term.

You said; "I don't expect everyone to believe everything that I do nor is it my place to condemn them if they don't."

That POV runs counter to most of Xtianity now and thru history. A true Xtian/s has to condemn that which is deemed unGodly, or they are not a true Xtian.

I'm glad you feel the way you do, but you might not be welcomed in many Xtian churches...
Punisher

Yonkers, NY

#10 Jun 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:

Yet my belief that Evo is the best scientific explanation for the diversity of life on this planet - is not a BELIEF I can apply to life.

This is where the term belief gets into trouble. I can't apply Evo to my life, spiritually, emotionally, or physically. There's nothing in EVO that I can use that way...like I cant apply the theory of gravity - unless of course I jump off the roof. But then I'm simply a victim...

Floyd, VA

#11 Jun 1, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>I know many Xtians and others of other faiths who do believe that Evo is true. The RCC supports it, as do others.
Plus its not a belief equal to a Religious belief. So be careful how you use the term.
You said; "I don't expect everyone to believe everything that I do nor is it my place to condemn them if they don't."
That POV runs counter to most of Xtianity now and thru history. A true Xtian/s has to condemn that which is deemed unGodly, or they are not a true Xtian.
I'm glad you feel the way you do, but you might not be welcomed in many Xtian churches...
Which is why I don't go to church,if you think about this and I know you have,going to church these days is more about anything else but worshiping God.
in the local churches you have gossip,back biting and being judgmental towards those that does not go to suit them or does not bow down to them and believe as they do.
Then on TV you have Evangelists who cries about the gays,talks about politics and indulge in greed by fleecing as many people as they possibly can get away with stealing from.
Getting back to evolution,I do believe that at least some of it has been stretched a little from the truth.
Call me crazy,stupid or whatever you like but I believe that the mammoth was the only true realistic largest prehistoric animal and the velociraptors were the possible only largest reptiles of that time.
I'm not ruling out giant animals entirely for the simple fact that just about all species have been known to have a few oversized animals of the same species but not at all really King Kong or Godzilla size reptiles and such.
To me,if we believe in giant lizards like the T-Rex then we might as well believe in fire-breathing dragons that can fly.
Even if the T-Rex did exist then I'm pretty confident that it's actual size was overly exaggerated.

Floyd, VA

#12 Jun 1, 2013
Punisher wrote:
<quoted text>Yet my belief that Evo is the best scientific explanation for the diversity of life on this planet - is not a BELIEF I can apply to life.
This is where the term belief gets into trouble. I can't apply Evo to my life, spiritually, emotionally, or physically. There's nothing in EVO that I can use that way...like I cant apply the theory of gravity - unless of course I jump off the roof. But then I'm simply a victim...
the true concept of evolution is about evolving,how a person evolves is up to the individual by the tools of knowledge he or she possesses.The only way,in this case,a person can be a victim is by their own stubbornness,meaning their refusal to accept things outside of their beliefs and learn things new makes them out to be a victim of their own discretion.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
Absolutely false, and way off the mark.

Evolution is accepted as fact by many, if not most, religious people.

Not that I'm advocating religion, but the religious folks who accept evolution as fact believe that their God set it all into motion.

When people such as yourself draw a solid line and say, "Those who are with me on the God issue must also believe 100% of this other stuff, and reject 100% of that stuff over there" all they and you are doing is dividing people arbitrarily.

Maybe that's why religious belief is waning - most people are getting tired of being told that they have to accept ancient dogma as the literal truth. More and more people are realizing that religious texts are mythic, that the stories they tell impart a greater truth than a literal interpretation does.

Evolution by mutation and natural selection through adaption is a fact of life. The religious people who know that have an even greater appreciation of their God when they examine just how wondrous and awe-inspiring nature truly is.

Too bad you've decided to stay behind...
Buffy The Atheist Slayer

United States

#14 Jun 1, 2013
HighlyEvolved wrote:
Christians beliefs are based on faith, not scientists.

Psalms 118:8 I
t is better to take refuge in Yahweh, than to put confidence in man.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
<quoted text>
To me,if we believe in giant lizards like the T-Rex then we might as well believe in fire-breathing dragons that can fly.
Even if the T-Rex did exist then I'm pretty confident that it's actual size was overly exaggerated.
So a 40-foot-tall T-Rex is a myth, but the 100-foot-long blue whale isn't?

Come on, Gary, don't be so naive.

I bet you believe that there's no such thing as the Flemish Giant, a rabbit (technically a hare) that is larger than a collie.

Wake up, my friend:

http://twistedsifter.com/2012/04/15-of-the-la...
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#19 Jun 1, 2013
Buffy The Atheist Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians beliefs are based on faith, not scientists.
Psalms 118:8 I
t is better to take refuge in Yahweh, than to put confidence in man.
Really? Tell that to the evangelical Christians at Baylor University, the "largest Baptist University in the world," where the students go on mission trips, etc.

This is from the Biology Department at Baylor:
http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php...

Statement on Evolution
"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously."

Also, here from the Baylor Geology Department:
http://www.baylor.edu/geology/index.php...

Quote:

"Question: Does the fossil record support the idea of biological change over time (biological evolution)?

Yes. The fossil record clearly indicates...

• a progression in complexity of organisms from very simple fossil forms in the oldest rocks (>3.5 billion years old) to a broad spectrum from simple to complex forms in younger rocks,

• that some organisms that were once common are now extinct, and

• that the living organisms inhabiting our world today are similar (but generally not the same) as organisms represented as fossils in young sedimentary deposits, which in turn have evolutionary ancestors represented as fossils in yet older rocks.

Mammals, for example, are prevalent today and can be traced back in the fossil record for approximately 200 million years, but are not present as mammals in the fossil record before that; however, fossil forms that have reasonably been interpreted to be associated with the evolutionary precursors to mammals are found in older rocks.

Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."

End quote
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#20 Jun 1, 2013
Worth emphasizing that last point again -- remember it's from devout Baptist Christians who are also qualified teachers of science at the college level...

"Whether biological evolution occurs has not been a matter of scientific debate for more than a century. It is considered a proven fact."

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#22 Jun 1, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Three or four million in museums and universities around the world and at least as many in private collections.

If you're looking for crocoducks and jackalopes you're an idiot and I don't think you're an idiot. You just don't know anything about evolution except you're against it.

God bless you.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#23 Jun 1, 2013
Gary Coaldigger wrote:
Some folks choose to believe that which is supported by mountains of evidence and some choose to believe superstitious mumbo jumbo.

I'll tell you what, Gary. Trying to fit reality and superstitious mumbo jumbo into one head is indeed difficult but it is not impossible.

God bless you.
Job

Santa Clara, CA

#24 Jun 2, 2013
NDanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen NDanger!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 53
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 2 min Demon Finder 5,769
Questions regarding Hebrew 7 10 min Demon Finder 34
ASK THE LORD of THE SPIRIT REALM 11 min Demon Finder 54
The False Teachings of the Hebrew Israelites, s... (Jan '14) 1 hr Jesus is 277
Do you believe in tolerance for Gay Christians? 2 hr Blodewedd 425
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr Demon Finder 18,667
Let's have a discussion, HG. (Oct '12) 3 hr Demon Finder 190
Scientific Proof Of GOD(for dummies) 7 hr Atheistgirl 1,922
More from around the web