Why did Jesus Lie?
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Susan

Darlinghurst, Australia

#1 Mar 29, 2010
Matthew 16:24-28

24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save his life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 27For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. 28I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Why did Jesus lie? Jesus said some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom, but we all know that was not true.

So why did Jesus lie?

Since: Jan 10

Indian Hills Colorado

#3 Mar 29, 2010
Susan wrote:
24Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save his life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 27For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. 28I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."
Why did Jesus lie? Jesus said some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom, but we all know that was not true.
So why did Jesus lie?
Good Question!

But the real question is,

"WHY DOES ANYONE WITH AN AGENDA LIE???"

Let's say that you were trying to sell

your car that has a flaw. Why would you

lie and avoid revealing the car's flaw?

It wasn't Jesus that lied. it was his

desperate, power-hungry, and greedy followers

that devised and preached the CARROT STICK DOCTRINE,

"HE'LL BE BACK!" People living and hoping in despair

were and are so susceptible to such wily chicanery.

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#4 Mar 29, 2010
Who told lies, the writers of the gospels or Jesus?
Second Coming of Dave D

Mount Laurel, NJ

#5 Mar 29, 2010
Susan wrote:
So why did Jesus lie?
Jesus didn't lie, since he never existed.

The people who embellished the life story of Rabbi ben-Yeshua lied when they claimed he was born of a virgin, walked on water, etc.

“Jesus forgives..... ”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#6 Mar 29, 2010
Second Coming of Dave D wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't lie, since he never existed.
The people who embellished the life story of Rabbi ben-Yeshua lied when they claimed he was born of a virgin, walked on water, etc.
The same as saying, a pilot can fly.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#7 Mar 29, 2010
Susan wrote:
So why did Jesus lie?
Many possibilities:

Jesus never said it; which, in itself, doesn't mean much unless he shows up and provides some kind of videotaped archive verifying every step he ever made.

The writers lied; quite likely, as they were trying to sell a fanciful product to as many people as they could.

Jesus said it; probably during a "manic", or "up" phase of his bipolar disorder.

The writers misspoke; after hearing it told and retold over fifty (50)-odd years, it might've been an honest goof.
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#8 Mar 29, 2010
Susan wrote:
So why did Jesus lie?
He didn't lie, you just misinterpret that v28. Here is the true interpretation.....

[28] Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

And as an emblem of this, there are some here who shall live to see tho Messiah coming to set up his mediatorial kingdom, with great power and glory, by the increase of his Church, and the destruction of the temple, city, and polity of the Jews.
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#9 Mar 29, 2010
Susan wrote:
So why did Jesus lie?
I know you probably still don't get it? Here is another true interpretation........

28. Shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man. The reference is not to his final coming to judge the world, but to his spiritual coming to establish his kingdom. This was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost. Mark (9:1) shows the meaning by substituting, "Till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." The "coming of the Son of man in his kingdom" means, therefore, the same as "the kingdom of God come with power." Compare Acts 1:8, and Luke 24:49. The kingdom came with power on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1).

So He didn't lie.
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#10 Mar 29, 2010
Susan wrote:
So why did Jesus lie?
Just in case you still can't read the truth in Christ's words, here is another true interpretation....

The near approach of his kingdom in this world, v. 28. It was so near, that there were some attending him who should live to see it. As Simeon was assured that he should not see death till he had seen the Lord's Christ come in the flesh; so some here are assured that they shall not taste death (death is a sensible thing, its terrors are seen, its bitterness is tasted) till they had seen the Lord's Christ coming in his kingdom. At the end of time, he shall come in his Father's glory; but now, in the fulness of time, he was to come in his own kingdom, his mediatorial kingdom. Some little specimen was given of his glory a few days after this, in his transfiguration (ch. 17:1); then he tried his robes. But this points at Christ's coming by the pouring out of his Spirit, the planting of the gospel church, the destruction of Jerusalem, and the taking away of the place and nation of the Jews, who were the most bitter enemies to Christianity. Here was the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Many then present lived to see it, particularly John, who lived till after the destruction of Jerusalem, and saw Christianity planted in the world.

Christ didn't lie.
JESUS is

Doncaster East, Australia

#11 Mar 30, 2010
Susan wrote:
<quoted text>
So why did Jesus lie?
* Who was jesus talking to at the time?......His desciples.
* Can you prove that that they have "tasted death" and are not in Heaven laughing?
* Why did Jesus say only "some" of them?......Judas Iscariot (the friend who pointed him out to soldiers who arrested him) was there.

WHY DID JESUS THEN SAY?:

<< Matthew 24:36 >>
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Location hidden

#12 Mar 30, 2010
bible teacher wrote:
<quoted text>Just in case you still can't read the truth in Christ's words, here is another true interpretation....
The near approach of his kingdom in this world, v. 28. It was so near, that there were some attending him who should live to see it. As Simeon was assured that he should not see death till he had seen the Lord's Christ come in the flesh; so some here are assured that they shall not taste death (death is a sensible thing, its terrors are seen, its bitterness is tasted) till they had seen the Lord's Christ coming in his kingdom. At the end of time, he shall come in his Father's glory; but now, in the fulness of time, he was to come in his own kingdom, his mediatorial kingdom. Some little specimen was given of his glory a few days after this, in his transfiguration (ch. 17:1); then he tried his robes. But this points at Christ's coming by the pouring out of his Spirit, the planting of the gospel church, the destruction of Jerusalem, and the taking away of the place and nation of the Jews, who were the most bitter enemies to Christianity. Here was the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Many then present lived to see it, particularly John, who lived till after the destruction of Jerusalem, and saw Christianity planted in the world.
Christ didn't lie.
What a viciously convoluted little puppet show, filled with fear, death, destruction, and control.

Thankfully, there are many things better to strive for.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#13 Mar 30, 2010
bible teacher wrote:
The kingdom came with power on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1).
Well said. The kingdom of Christ was inaugarated at Pentecost. All the disciples were together on the day of Pentecost, seven weeks after the resurrection of Jesus on Easter Sunday. God poured out his spirit on them. This event was the beginning of the Church.
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#14 Mar 30, 2010
Adam ____ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. The kingdom of Christ was inaugarated at Pentecost. All the disciples were together on the day of Pentecost, seven weeks after the resurrection of Jesus on Easter Sunday. God poured out his spirit on them. This event was the beginning of the Church.
Yeah, its just sad and foolish for some of these people to post a verse out of context and think they have shown a contradiction. Foolish. When all they have to do is google 'bible commentaries' and if they don't understand a verse, they can find sound interpretation, there is even interpretation from hundreds of yrs ago from Calvin, Matthew Henry really good and healthy teachings.
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#15 Mar 30, 2010
twinertia wrote:
<quoted text>
What a viciously convoluted little puppet show, filled with fear, death, destruction, and control.
Thankfully, there are many things better to strive for.
Strive for what? Care to explain what that would be? What is better than striving for God? Nothing.

Look who's on a Christain forum? You. Are you striving to be a Christian too.

Location hidden

#16 Mar 30, 2010
bible teacher wrote:
<quoted text>Strive for what? Care to explain what that would be? What is better than striving for God? Nothing.
Look who's on a Christain forum? You. Are you striving to be a Christian too.
"Strive for what", you ask?

The better times that've accompanied knowledge, reason, and science. PEOPLE have achieved these things (and without the "supernatural"). The concepts of "deity" are as incoherent now as they've always been, so when the futility in striving for them dovetails so nicely into the high historic rates of failure, I'm not surprised.
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#17 Mar 30, 2010
twinertia wrote:
<quoted text>
"Strive for what", you ask?
The better times that've accompanied knowledge, reason, and science. PEOPLE have achieved these things (and without the "supernatural"). The concepts of "deity" are as incoherent now as they've always been, so when the futility in striving for them dovetails so nicely into the high historic rates of failure, I'm not surprised.
So basically striving for better times is what you mean. Well better times are here. What else is there to strive for?

God is greatest one can strive for. Anything else will fade away, unlike God Who is eternal.
Hope

Pleasant Hill, MO

#18 Mar 30, 2010
bible teacher wrote:
<quoted text>I know you probably still don't get it? Here is another true interpretation........
28. Shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man. The reference is not to his final coming to judge the world, but to his spiritual coming to establish his kingdom. This was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost. Mark (9:1) shows the meaning by substituting, "Till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." The "coming of the Son of man in his kingdom" means, therefore, the same as "the kingdom of God come with power." Compare Acts 1:8, and Luke 24:49. The kingdom came with power on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1).
So He didn't lie.
I think the way scripture has been divided into chapters was not always really well thought out and this is an example of an unfortunate break as the topic continues into Chapter 17

"Mat 17:1 Six days later Jesus *took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and *led them up on a high mountain by themselves.
Mat 17:2 And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.
Mat 17:3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
Mat 17:4 Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
Mat 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!"
Mat 17:6 When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground and were terrified.
Mat 17:7 And Jesus came to them and touched them and said, "Get up, and do not be afraid."

They saw Jesus transfigured as He will be coming in His Kingdom.
God Bless

Location hidden

#19 Mar 30, 2010
bible teacher wrote:
<quoted text>So basically striving for better times is what you mean. Well better times are here. What else is there to strive for?
God is greatest one can strive for. Anything else will fade away, unlike God Who is eternal.
What else? Well, the omniverse would be nice to check out, I suppose.....

"Deity" will require extraordinary proof of its existence (which people have yet to provide). There's no good reason for humanity to fade away, so your supposition is a bit premature.
JESUS is

Doncaster East, Australia

#20 Mar 30, 2010
WELL SUSAN,

What are your answers? If you think Jesus lied then why did he also say this?:

<< Matthew 24:36 >>
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Could Jesus have wanted to satisfy the annoying curiosity of his disciples that desperately wanted to know and kept on 'hounding him', so told them that they would "not taste death", meaning their soles would live on to see it?

OH DEAR, HOW COME NOT ONE EVER EDITED THAT?
bible teacher

San Gabriel, CA

#21 Mar 30, 2010
Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the way scripture has been divided into chapters was not always really well thought out and this is an example of an unfortunate break as the topic continues into Chapter 17
"Mat 17:1 Six days later Jesus *took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and *led them up on a high mountain by themselves.
Mat 17:2 And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light.
Mat 17:3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
Mat 17:4 Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."
Mat 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!"
Mat 17:6 When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground and were terrified.
Mat 17:7 And Jesus came to them and touched them and said, "Get up, and do not be afraid."
They saw Jesus transfigured as He will be coming in His Kingdom.
God Bless
Yeah I read that too about the ch break. Well as we know the ch's and verses were not inspired by God when Matthew was writing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
yhwh=ieue=yeshua=jesus (Mar '08) 1 hr dollarsbill 1,233
TOPIX Christian Forum Declared DEAD! 1 hr dollarsbill 14
Pornography and Masturbation - Playing with Ete... 4 hr Alan 9
Bad Experiences When Praying (Jan '11) 4 hr Alan 68
Do Not be Conformed to This World - Porn, Mastu... 6 hr Alan 3
A confession of an Ex-christian (Feb '14) 6 hr Alan 18
Consciousness to be awake 6 hr Alan 16
More from around the web