What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 | Posted by: Paul Zannucci | Full story: www.christianpost.com

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Comments (Page 4,173)

Showing posts 83,441 - 83,460 of83,831
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Jesus=only way into Heaven”

Since: Nov 12

saved by grace through faith

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

continued.....
==========
1 Timothy 1:15- This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2 Corinthians 5:21- For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.

Colossians 1:14- In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
==========
Paul and Silas in prison, Jailer gets saved
Acts 16:25-33

25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.

26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

27 And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.

28 But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.

29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,

30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
The Roman Catholic Church is leading millions upon millions of people straight to the pit of Hell with their false damnable doctrines.
Any saved RCC member reading my post knows what I say is the truth. Please leave the Harlot church and come join a good old fashioned bible believing church, we'd love to have you. Catholics are always welcomed at our bible believing churches, we only have a problem with the false doctrines that your popes and other leaders brought in.
The ONLY way into Heaven is through Jesus Christ! No pope, priest, baby baptism, church membership, good works, prayer to saints, Mary, etc etc etc can save you. Salvation is a free gift from God. Ye must be born again!!!!
==========
John 3:3- Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
==========
John 14:6- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
==========
Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
==========
Romans 3:23- For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Romans 6:23- For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 5:8- But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 10:13-For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:9- That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Catholics are born again.

You must not know what born again means.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics are born again.
Get a new saying. All you unbelievers do is constantly repeat the same gibberish nonsense as the others......learn to think for yourselves.......monkey see monkey do will land you straight into the pit of Hell!
==========
Here's John 3:1-21 where Jesus talks about being born again.

John 3:1-21
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?

10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.

12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>The Catholic Church’s magisterium (teaching authority) is essential in Bible interpretation, plus, the Pope is infallible in the meaning of the scriptures of the Bible, and, this is the only way he is infallible.
Catholics do not independently interpret scripture. The Church, just as the Bible states, has full Authority as to the meanings of scripture.
In the Catholic "magisterium" there is not one Scripture mentioned to support the teaching that it is based on Scripture..

Therefore, it is founded on hot air....same as "oral tradition"...hot air....

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Del Valle, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a new saying. All you unbelievers do is constantly repeat the same gibberish nonsense as the others......learn to think for yourselves.......monkey see monkey do will land you straight into the pit of Hell!
==========
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
Are you talking to yourself again?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>You know I was raised as a Southern Baptist.....
In church and Sunday School also, we were mostly taught what to believe.
Sure, we read our Bibles too, but we were, more or less, instructed as to what to believe....what the Southern Baptists believe.
You left Christianity because you were never saved to begin with.

1 John 2:19- They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics are born again.
How can an infant being sprinkled with water be "born again?"

“It's all in your head”

Since: Dec 12

Del Valle, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
How can an infant being sprinkled with water be "born again?"
Being born again is a state of mind. Don't have to be baptized at all.

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
You know I was raised as a Southern Baptist.....
In church and Sunday School also, we were mostly taught what to believe.
Sure, we read our Bibles too, but we were, more or less, instructed as to what to believe....what the Southern Baptists believe.
Are you trying to say that the RCC is more adamant about what Cathilics must believe than the Southern Baptists or almost any other mainline denomination? See e.g. Cathechism of the Catholic Church.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/wh...

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Correction to above "Are you trying to say that the RCC is NOT more adamant..."

US 62 @ US 81

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

John from Texas wrote:
<quoted text>
Being born again is a state of mind. Don't have to be baptized at all.
Scripture?

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Why not just respond to what she said instead of this jibberish? Are you not aware of what born again means?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not just respond to what she said instead of this jibberish? Are you not aware of what born again means?
Read what I quoted if you want the detailed answer. Jesus explained it in those verses.

Throughout the scriptures, when a person truly gets saved they become a new creature in Christ. We were all born of the flesh, but upon getting saved we are now filled with the Holy Spirit which dwells inside of us. Hence we are born again.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Are Catholics Born Again?

Catholics and Protestants agree that to be saved, you have to be born again. Jesus said so: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

When a Catholic says that he has been "born again," he refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in him during baptism. Evangelical Protestants typically mean something quite different when they talk about being "born again."
The Names of the New Birth

Regeneration (being "born again") is the transformation from death to life that occurs in our souls when we first come to God and are justified. He washes us clean of our sins and gives us a new nature, breaking the power of sin over us so that we will no longer be its slaves, but its enemies, who must fight it as part of the Christian life (cf. Rom. 6:1–22; Eph. 6:11–17). To understand the biblical teaching of being born again, we must understand the terms it uses to refer to this event.

The term "born again" may not appear in the Bible. The Greek phrase often translated "born again" (gennatha anothen) occurs twice in the Bible—John 3:3 and 3:7—and there is a question of how it should be translated. The Greek word anothen sometimes can be translated "again," but in the New Testament, it most often means "from above." In the King James Version, the only two times it is translated "again" are in John 3:3 and 3:7; every other time it is given a different rendering.

Another term is "regeneration." When referring to something that occurs in the life of an individual believer, it only appears in Titus 3:5. In other passages, the new birth phenomenon is also described as receiving new life (Rom. 6:4), receiving the circumcision of the heart (Rom. 2:29; Col. 2:11–12), and becoming a "new creation" (2 Cor. 5:17; Gal. 6:15).
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/are-catholics-...

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
You left Christianity because you were never saved to begin with.
1 John 2:19- They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
Catholics are Christians.

I did not realize how ignorant you are until this post of yours.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics are Christians.
I did not realize how ignorant you are until this post of yours.
Nettiebelle, do YOU have a close and personal relationship with Jesus Christ? I'm not talking about what your Catholic church believes........that is meaningless. Do YOU know that you know that you know that Heaven will be your eternal home? Do YOU believe Jesus shed His blood and died on the cross for YOU? Will you say this prayer with me?

Dear Jesus,
I know that I'm a sinner. I know that I can't earn my salvation, I'll never be righteous enough on my own. Jesus, please come into my life and wash away my sins with your sinless atoning blood. I ask forgiveness for my sins and want to have a close and personal relationship with you Jesus. Today I ask for deliverance and help to live the life that you want me to live. I ask this in Jesus Holy name.......Amen.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Nettiebelle, do YOU have a close and personal relationship with Jesus Christ? I'm not talking about what your Catholic church believes........that is meaningless. Do YOU know that you know that you know that Heaven will be your eternal home? Do YOU believe Jesus shed His blood and died on the cross for YOU? Will you say this prayer with me?
Dear Jesus,
I know that I'm a sinner. I know that I can't earn my salvation, I'll never be righteous enough on my own. Jesus, please come into my life and wash away my sins with your sinless atoning blood. I ask forgiveness for my sins and want to have a close and personal relationship with you Jesus. Today I ask for deliverance and help to live the life that you want me to live. I ask this in Jesus Holy name.......Amen.
Scripture indicates that, indeed, a relationship with God calls us to be people of moral behavior and good works—that is to say, religious people. Christianity is itself a religion and to be religious means to live morally and to do good works. Scripture teaches that, in essence, to be in a personal relationship with Jesus means to be religious. So, yes, my Church, my RELIGION is very important.
Paul also refers to Christianity as a religion in his first letter to Timothy: "Great indeed, we confess, is the mystery of our religion: He was manifested in the flesh, vindicated in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, taken up in glory" (1 Tim. 3:16).
: "As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:18, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."
Jesus died on the cross for all mankind.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Read what I quoted if you want the detailed answer. Jesus explained it in those verses.
Throughout the scriptures, when a person truly gets saved they become a new creature in Christ. We were all born of the flesh, but upon getting saved we are now filled with the Holy Spirit which dwells inside of us. Hence we are born again.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Catholics say this happens when an infant is baptized!!!!!!!!! Go figga....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>Are Catholics Born Again?
Catholics and Protestants agree that to be saved, you have to be born again. Jesus said so: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).
When a Catholic says that he has been "born again," he refers to the transformation that God’s grace accomplished in him during baptism. Evangelical Protestants typically mean something quite different when they talk about being "born again."
The Names of the New Birth
Regeneration (being "born again") is the transformation from death to life that occurs in our souls when we first come to God and are justified. He washes us clean of our sins and gives us a new nature, breaking the power of sin over us so that we will no longer be its slaves, but its enemies, who must fight it as part of the Christian life (cf. Rom. 6:1–22; Eph. 6:11–17). To understand the biblical teaching of being born again, we must understand the terms it uses to refer to this event.
The term "born again" may not appear in the Bible. The Greek phrase often translated "born again" (gennatha anothen) occurs twice in the Bible—John 3:3 and 3:7—and there is a question of how it should be translated. The Greek word anothen sometimes can be translated "again," but in the New Testament, it most often means "from above." In the King James Version, the only two times it is translated "again" are in John 3:3 and 3:7; every other time it is given a different rendering.
Another term is "regeneration." When referring to something that occurs in the life of an individual believer, it only appears in Titus 3:5. In other passages, the new birth phenomenon is also described as receiving new life (Rom. 6:4), receiving the circumcision of the heart (Rom. 2:29; Col. 2:11–12), and becoming a "new creation" (2 Cor. 5:17; Gal. 6:15).
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/are-catholics-...
Garbage.....

Mt 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

Mr 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Ac 18:8 And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

Infants cannot:
A.Confess their sins.
B.Cannot believe.
C.Cannot believe on the Lord.

Since: Sep 08

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Romans Road wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't explain anything. YOU tell us what it shows. "Hence" we are born again just shows that you PRESUME this is the law.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 83,441 - 83,460 of83,831
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 5 min Cookie_Parker 7,105
Was Paul a False Apostle? (May '08) 36 min Barnsweb 1,641
Dollarsbill Is Still Quick To Condemn 1 hr ChristineM 817
At what point during a job interview... 2 hr Cisco Kid 71
New report shows over 80% of homes are unafford... 3 hr Cisco Kid 13
Blame Conservatives for a Godless government 5 hr blacklagoon 74
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 5 hr NDanger 893
•••
•••