What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

There are 84626 comments on the www.christianpost.com story from Apr 19, 2008, titled What Divides Catholics and Protestants?. In it, www.christianpost.com reports that:

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.christianpost.com.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85226 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked me to look for "similarities". Something "similar" to something else is NOT the same thing as that which it is similar to. You posted two words "savior" and "salvation." Are those the same thing? Are they interchangeable?
Here is the definition of the name Yehoshua from Brown, Driver, Briggs Hebrew lexicon. Note, "is salvation" or "is opulence."
[Hb.]Yehoshua S3091 GK3397, and (later Yeshua S3442, 3443 GK3800, 3801, n.pr.m.(& loc., v. 9 infr.)(' is salvation, or ' is opulence, cf.[Hb.] abyshoa, alyshua, alysha, & NesSK 1892, 573 f.; in any case it came to be associated with [Hb.]ysha, cf. Mat 1:21; on [Hb.] Y'shua v. especially FraVOJ iv, 1890, 332 f. MullSK 1892, 177 f. who cite analog. for change of &#1493;&#1465; to later—,& Nesl.c.)— 1. Moses’ successor, son of Nun,(G Iesous) Y'hoshua Dt 3:21 Ju 2:7; =[Hb.] yuhoshua Ex 17:9, 10, 13, 14; 24:13; 32:17; 33:11 Nu 11:28; 13:16; 14:6, 30, 38; 26:65; 27:18, 22; 32:12, 28; 34:17 Dt 1:38; 3:28; 31:3, 7, 14(×2), 23; 34:9 Jos 1:1 + 167 times Jos; Ju 1:1; 2:6, 7, 8, 21, 23 1 K 16:34 1 Ch 7:27; =[Hb.] Y'shua Ne 8:17 (G Iesous); according to P, name changed by Moses from [Hb.] Hoshua q.v. Nu 13:8, 16 (G Ause') Dt 32:44 (G Iesous).
You are making an ass of yourself......The name JESUS cooresponds to the Hebrew name Jeshua, or in fuller form Jehoshua, meaning salvation (or help) of Jah (Jehovah). Christ is from the Greek Khri-sto's, the equivelant of the Hebrew Ma-shi'ahh (Messiah)and means Anointed one. Easy to understand.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#85227 Nov 17, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making an ass of yourself......The name JESUS cooresponds to the Hebrew name Jeshua, or in fuller form Jehoshua, meaning salvation (or help) of Jah (Jehovah). Christ is from the Greek Khri-sto's, the equivelant of the Hebrew Ma-shi'ahh (Messiah)and means Anointed one. Easy to understand.
You are making an ASS out of yourself. I did not say any different. If you had an IQ above room temperature and could read you would see I said that "Yehoshua" means "Yah[weh] is salvation." It does not mean "savior" and "Yehoshua Ha Meschiach" does not mean "anointed savior."

US 62 @ US 81

#85228 Nov 17, 2012
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Now, it's a lie. You're hilarious.
It's odd, because when I researched the Hebrew name "Yahowshu'a," I was directed to two other terms. One was the name of Father, and the other was "yasha'." First, the meaning of "Yahowshu'a" we accept depends on the source we accept, as some say it means "Jehovah-saved."
Who is "some say?" YOu keep repeating "Yahowshu'a" There is NO name in Hebrew "Yahhowshua'a!" Can you proved an accredited hebrew source which has this name.
I posted the complete definition of "Yehoshua" from one of, if not, the best Hebrew lexicons, BAGD. "Yehoshuah" means "Yah[weh] is salvation."
Evidently while you were trying to out-Hebrew the Jews by translating YHOSHA as "Yahowshu'a" you are not aware of the rules of Hebrew grammar. For instance.
Jewish Encyclopedia-Names of God.
If the explanation of the form above given be the true one, the original pronunciation must have been Yahweh () or Yahaweh (). From this the contracted form Jah or Yah () is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (=), and Jo or Yo (, contracted from ), which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah () in the second part of such names.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11...
So Yahweh in a compound name is shortened to Jeho or Yeho in the first part of a compound proper name.
According to Hebrew grammar rules there is no way the savior's name could be "Yahowshu'a".
Secondly, though, when we read the definition of the term "yasha'," we see the term "save" in it. And after the term "save," it reads: "(-ior)." Yes, "-ior" appears in parenthesis after the term "save." I wonder why this is. Don't you?
Apparently, it's not a lie, after all.
yasha'
Pronounced: yaw-shah'
a primitive root
X at all, avenging, defend, deliver (-er), help, preserve, rescue, be safe, bring (having) salvation, save (-ior), get victory
Hm..."deliver (-er)." I wonder.....
Smokescreen, red herring. Your phony name is not a lie because of the word "Yasha" but because of how you wrongly transliterate Yahweh in the first pat of the name.
You don't get to make up your own definition for Hebrew words. According to BAGD "Yehoshua" means "Yah[weh] is salvation" No amount of twisting words and trying to make it say what you want it to it will never mean "savior." Even if you could find a reliable Hebrew source that says "savior" your interpretation would still be wrong because it must read "Yah[weh] is savior" not just "savior" as you kkeep trying to twist it.
Once again you can use the title "anointed savior" any time, any where you like. But "Yehoshua" means "Yah[weh] is salvation" NOT "anointed savior!"
See my post #85215, above.
[Hb.]Yehoshua S3091 GK3397, and (later [Hb.] Yeshua S3442, 3443 GK3800, 3801, n.pr.m.(& loc., v. 9 infr.)(' is salvation, or ' is opulence, cf.[Hb.] abyshoa, alyshua, alysha, & NesSK 1892, 573 f.; in any case it came to be associated with [Hb.]ysha, cf. Mat 1:21; on [Hb.] Y'shua v. especially FraVOJ iv, 1890, 332 f. MullSK 1892, 177 f. who cite analog. for change of [Hb.]; to later—[Hb.],& Nesl.c.)— 1. Moses’ successor, son of Nun,(G Iesous)[Hb.] Y'hoshua Dt 3:21 Ju 2:7; =[Hb.] yuhoshua Ex 17:9, 10, 13, 14; 24:13; 32:17; 33:11 Nu 11:28; 13:16; 14:6, 30, 38; 26:65; 27:18, 22; 32:12, 28; 34:17 Dt 1:38; 3:28; 31:3, 7, 14(×2), 23; 34:9 Jos 1:1 + 167 times Jos; Ju 1:1; 2:6, 7, 8, 21, 23 1 K 16:34 1 Ch 7:27; =[Hb.] Y'shua Ne 8:17 (G Iesous); according to P, name changed by Moses from [Hb.] Hoshua q.v. Nu 13:8, 16 (G Ause') Dt 32:44 (G Iesous).
See "'[Yahweh] is salvation," and "'[Yahweh] is opulence." second sentence in the definition.
The BAGD is online and my citation can be verified at

http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/Gesenius/

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85229 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making an ASS out of yourself. I did not say any different. If you had an IQ above room temperature and could read you would see I said that "Yehoshua" means "Yah[weh] is salvation." It does not mean "savior" and "Yehoshua Ha Meschiach" does not mean "anointed savior."
It was common in the day to name there offspring Jesus. We believe the same things. Lets move on, you are corrupting this forum with things that really don't matter. Mathew 24...says that we are living in the last days of this system. It had a first fullfillment in Jerusalems destruction and a greater fullfillment in our day NOW. Read the signs, written over 2000 years ago. Rev. 16:16 says Armageddon will take place after the last days. Greater and bigger things should enlighten us now.

US 62 @ US 81

#85230 Nov 17, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
It was common in the day to name there offspring Jesus. We believe the same things.
True but irrelevant to the present point!
Lets move on, you are corrupting this forum with things that really don't matter.
Correcting a lie doesn't matter? I don't care that someone refers to Jesus as "our anointed savior." That is a true statement. The lie is that someone claims that "Yehoshua" means "savior" and "Yehoshua HaMeschiach" means "Anointed Savior." It does not, it means "Yah[weh] is salvation" "the Anointed." If someone insists on propagating this lie one must wonder what other lies he is propagating?
Mathew 24...says that we are living in the last days of this system. It had a first fullfillment in Jerusalems destruction and a greater fullfillment in our day NOW. Read the signs, written over 2000 years ago. Rev. 16:16 says Armageddon will take place after the last days. Greater and bigger things should enlighten us now.
People have been saying that Armageddon is right around the corner for 2000 years.

“Become Love!”

Since: Jan 09

Nowhere/Now here

#85231 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
Who is "some say?" YOu keep repeating "Yahowshu'a" There is NO name in Hebrew "Yahhowshua'a!" Can you proved an accredited hebrew source which has this name.
I posted the complete definition of "Yehoshua" from one of, if not, the best Hebrew lexicons, BAGD. "Yehoshuah" means "Yah[weh] is salvation."
Evidently while you were trying to out-Hebrew the Jews by translating YHOSHA as "Yahowshu'a" you are not aware of the rules of Hebrew grammar. For instance.
If the explanation of the form above given be the true one, the original pronunciation must have been Yahweh () or Yahaweh (). From this the contracted form Jah or Yah () is most readily explained, and also the forms Jeho or Yeho (=), and Jo or Yo (, contracted from ), which the word assumes in combination in the first part of compound proper names, and Yahu or Yah () in the second part of such names.
So Yahweh in a compound name is shortened to Jeho or Yeho in the first part of a compound proper name.
According to Hebrew grammar rules there is no way the savior's name could be "Yahowshu'a".
<quoted text>
Smokescreen, red herring. Your phony name is not a lie because of the word "Yasha" but because of how you wrongly transliterate Yahweh in the first pat of the name.
You don't get to make up your own definition for Hebrew words. According to BAGD "Yehoshua" means "Yah[weh] is salvation" No amount of twisting words and trying to make it say what you want it to it will never mean "savior." Even if you could find a reliable Hebrew source that says "savior" your interpretation would still be wrong because it must read "Yah[weh] is savior" not just "savior" as you kkeep trying to twist it.
Once again you can use the title "anointed savior" any time, any where you like. But "Yehoshua" means "Yah[weh] is salvation" NOT "anointed savior!"
See my post #85215, above.
[Hb.]Yehoshua S3091 GK3397, and (later [Hb.] Yeshua S3442, 3443 GK3800, 3801, n.pr.m.(& loc., v. 9 infr.)(' is salvation, or ' is opulence, cf.[Hb.] abyshoa, alyshua, alysha, & NesSK 1892, 573 f.; in any case it came to be associated with [Hb.]ysha, cf. Mat 1:21; on [Hb.] Y'shua v. especially FraVOJ iv, 1890, 332 f. MullSK 1892, 177 f. who cite analog. for change of [Hb.]; to later—[Hb.],& Nesl.c.)— 1. Moses’ successor, son of Nun,(G Iesous)[Hb.] Y'hoshua Dt 3:21 Ju 2:7; =[Hb.] yuhoshua Ex 17:9, 10, 13, 14; 24:13; 32:17; 33:11 Nu 11:28; 13:16; 14:6, 30, 38; 26:65; 27:18, 22; 32:12, 28; 34:17 Dt 1:38; 3:28; 31:3, 7, 14(×2), 23; 34:9 Jos 1:1 + 167 times Jos; Ju 1:1; 2:6, 7, 8, 21, 23 1 K 16:34 1 Ch 7:27; =[Hb.] Y'shua Ne 8:17 (G Iesous); according to P, name changed by Moses from [Hb.] Hoshua q.v. Nu 13:8, 16 (G Ause') Dt 32:44 (G Iesous).
See "'[Yahweh] is salvation," and "'[Yahweh] is opulence." second sentence in the definition.
Argue argue argue argue, argue argue argue argue. Argue argue argue? Argue argue argue. Argue, argue argue.

Again, I only spell it as I do for pronunciation, for the reader. In the meantime...

"Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua

Or Yhowshua {yeh-ho-shoo'-ah}; from Yhovah and yasha'; Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (i.e. Joshua), the Jewish leader -- Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Compare Howshea', Yeshuwa'.

see HEBREW Yhovah

see HEBREW yasha'

see HEBREW Howshea'

see HEBREW Yeshuwa'"

On page 48 of the "Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary," it transliterates this name as "Yehowshuwa'" and "Yehowshu'a." I spell it "Y-a-h" because, primarily, of what's written at Psalm 68:4.

"Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name YAH, and rejoice before him."

And regardless of what you want to believe, most scholars agree that the name of Father has three syllables, which is why most accept the name "Jehovah."
Patriot

Denver, CO

#85232 Nov 17, 2012
Signs in the sun, moon, and stars and upon Earth, a distress of nations with perplexity:

http://bible.cc/luke/21-25.htm

We are passing through a rare singular series of events in history that are coinciding by occurrence: a total solar eclipse, the peak of the Leonid meteor shower, and a large explosion occurring on the Sun; in effect, signs in the sun, moon, and stars all transpiring within days of each other. It's time to take note of the times we're living in and prepare to meet our Maker.

http://www.spaceweather.com/

The Leonid Meteor Shower is tonight. With no moon, it can produce some good results if one is watching. The map at HAARP STATUS on FB shows the sky conditions (red = best viewing) for the Lower 48 States.

If the weather cooperates, you might see some.

TIME - 2am to sunrise ( ANY TIME ZONE)

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85233 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:

Argue argue argue argue, argue argue argue argue. Argue argue argue? Argue argue argue. Argue, argue argue.

Again, I only spell it as I do for pronunciation, for the reader. And it's "anointed Savior of Yah," or "Yah's Anointed Savior." In the meantime...

Or Yhowshua {yeh-ho-shoo'-ah}; from Yhovah and yasha'; Jehovah-saved; Jehoshua (i.e. Joshua), the Jewish leader -- Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua. Compare Howshea', Yeshuwa'.

see HEBREW Yhovah

see HEBREW yasha'

see HEBREW Howshea'

see HEBREW Yeshuwa'"

On page 48 of the "Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary," it transliterates this name as "Yehowshuwa'" and "Yehowshu'a." I spell it "Y-a-h" because, primarily, of what's written at Psalm 68:4.

"Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name YAH, and rejoice before him."

And regardless of what you want to believe, most scholars agree that the name of Father has three syllables, which is why most accept the name "Jehovah."

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85234 Nov 17, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
It was common in the day to name there offspring Jesus. We believe the same things. Lets move on, you are corrupting this forum with things that really don't matter. Mathew 24...says that we are living in the last days of this system. It had a first fullfillment in Jerusalems destruction and a greater fullfillment in our day NOW. Read the signs, written over 2000 years ago. Rev. 16:16 says Armageddon will take place after the last days. Greater and bigger things should enlighten us now.
Apparently, I'm leading people to their ultimate demise by telling them that "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach" and "Jesus Christ" means "Anointed Savior of Yah," or "Yah's Anointed Savior" and not "Yahweh is Salvation the Anointed". As it is, our anointed Savior is the means of Father's salvation for us, therefore he's our Savior. And for the record, I've never said that "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach," or "Jesus Christ," means only "anointed Savior." I've repeatedly stated that "anointed Savior" is a preference of mine, based on the interpretation of his name into English. Maybe, I should start calling him "Joshua the Messiah." In my humble opinion, all the above produces the same conclusion, and that's what's most important.

I wonder if Mr. Allen Richards blackens out all the terms that are italicized throughout our English translations.

Hell Sucks

“THE HEAT IS ON”

Since: Apr 12

Satan IS in "The Church"

#85235 Nov 17, 2012
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently, I'm leading people to their ultimate demise by telling them that "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach" and "Jesus Christ" means "Anointed Savior of Yah," or "Yah's Anointed Savior" and not "Yahweh is Salvation the Anointed". As it is, our anointed Savior is the means of Father's salvation for us, therefore he's our Savior. And for the record, I've never said that "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach," or "Jesus Christ," means only "anointed Savior." I've repeatedly stated that "anointed Savior" is a preference of mine, based on the interpretation of his name into English. Maybe, I should start calling him "Joshua the Messiah." In my humble opinion, all the above produces the same conclusion, and that's what's most important.
I wonder if Mr. Allen Richards blackens out all the terms that are italicized throughout our English translations.
Troublemaker. LOLOL!!

Just wanted to take a moment to wish you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving week and every other day in this world also.

It's refreshing to see you haven't lost your zeal, and that is an understatement. I am a bit miffed as Ken sent me a copy of his first book and you haven't, although he didn't keep his promise on the republication. I'm crushed.~sniff~. Men .....

Peace and Blessings always!!

US 62 @ US 81

#85236 Nov 17, 2012
Brother Lee Love wrote:
<quoted text>Argue argue argue argue, argue argue argue argue. Argue argue argue? Argue argue argue. Argue, argue argue.
Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies!
see HEBREW Yhovah
see HEBREW yasha'
see HEBREW Howshea'
see HEBREW Yeshuwa'"
"most scholars agree that the name of Father has three syllables" is a logical fallacy. Appeal to authority. Name some of those supposed scholars?
This is from one of, if not, the best Hebrew Lexicons available today Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich, Danker.[BAGD]
[Hb.]YHWH S3068, 3069, 3070, 3071, 3072, 3073, 3074 TWOT484a GK3378c. 6823 i.e.[Hb.] YHWH n.pr.dei Yahweh, the proper name of the God of Israel—

Brown, Francis ; Driver, Samuel Rolles ; Briggs, Charles Augustus: Enhanced Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon. electronic ed. Oak Harbor, WA : Logos Research Systems, 2000, S. 217
Link. http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/Gesenius/
Which "Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary," are you talking about. Who is the author and publisher? I know that it is wrong because the false pronunciation "Jehovah" has been rejected by virtually all modern scholars. See this quote from the 1917 Jewish Encyclopedia.

US 62 @ US 81

#85237 Nov 17, 2012
Brother Lee Love wrote:
Apparently, I'm leading people to their ultimate demise by telling them that "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach" and "Jesus Christ" means "Anointed Savior of Yah," or "Yah's Anointed Savior" and not "Yahweh is Salvation the Anointed". As it is, our anointed Savior is the means of Father's salvation for us, therefore he's our Savior. And for the record, I've never said that "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach," or "Jesus Christ," means only "anointed Savior."
The section above contradicts the section below.
I've repeatedly stated that "anointed Savior" is a preference of mine, based on the interpretation of his name into English. Maybe, I should start calling him "Joshua the Messiah." In my humble opinion, all the above produces the same conclusion, and that's what's most important.
You have said the "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach" ... means "Anointed Savior of Yah," Then you say, "I've repeatedly stated that "anointed Savior" is a preference of mine, based on the interpretation of his name into English."
Which is it? Does "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach mean "Anointed Savior of Yah," or is "anointed savior of Yah" a preference of yours?

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85238 Nov 17, 2012
Hell Sucks wrote:
Troublemaker. LOLOL!!
Just wanted to take a moment to wish you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving week and every other day in this world also.
It's refreshing to see you haven't lost your zeal, and that is an understatement. I am a bit miffed as Ken sent me a copy of his first book and you haven't, although he didn't keep his promise on the republication. I'm crushed.~sniff~. Men .....
Peace and Blessings always!!
You're not the only one. I did send it via eMail, to you and two others (Halycon and Listen To This). Only one of you (Halycon) actually got it. I'm not sure what I did wrong. tMail me your present eMail address and I'll send it to you. I'll look forward to your remarks, too. I only ask this one thing. Read the whole book first, writing notes and questions along the way. Then, share with me your remarks and questions.

Until next time, my friend. May the shalowm of our 'Elohiym remain with you and yours, from everlasting to everlasting.

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85239 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies, Lies, lies, lies, lies!
Foolishness, foolishness, foolishness, foolishness, foolishness, and more foolishness.
Allen Richards wrote:
"most scholars agree that the name of Father has three syllables" is a logical fallacy. Appeal to authority. Name some of those supposed scholars?
The following versions use the rendering "Jehovah."

"king James," "American king James," "Darby Bible Translation," "English Revised Version," "Webster's Bible Translation," and "Young's Literal Translation."

And those are just the ones I can find right away. Regardless, the name "Jehovah" is a transliteration of the Hebrew "Yahoweh." "Yahoweh" is from a combination of two terms. The first is "Yahh," with one syllable," and the second is "hayah," with two syllables. Combined, that makes a three-syllable rendering; "Yahoweh." In the Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary, on page 47, it shows the pronunciation to be "yah-ho-waw."
Allen Richards wrote:
This is from one of, if not, the best Hebrew Lexicons available today Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich, Danker.[BAGD]
Opinion.
Allen Richards wrote:
[Hb.]YHWH S3068, 3069, 3070, 3071, 3072, 3073, 3074 TWOT484a GK3378c. 6823 i.e.[Hb.] YHWH n.pr.dei Yahweh, the proper name of the God of Israel—
Brown, Francis ; Driver, Samuel Rolles ; Briggs, Charles Augustus: Enhanced Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon. electronic ed. Oak Harbor, WA : Logos Research Systems, 2000, S. 217

Link. http://www.tyndalearchive.com/tabs/Gesenius/
Thank you. If you'll notice, all the reference numbers match those from "The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible."
Allen Richards wrote:
Which "Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary," are you talking about. Who is the author and publisher? I know that it is wrong because the false pronunciation "Jehovah" has been rejected by virtually all modern scholars. See this quote from the 1917 Jewish Encyclopedia.

The "Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary" I'm referring to is found in my copy of "The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible," published by Thomas Nelson Publishers.

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85240 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
You have said the "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach" ... means "Anointed Savior of Yah," Then you say, "I've repeatedly stated that "anointed Savior" is a preference of mine, based on the interpretation of his name into English."

Which is it? Does "Yahowshu'a ha'Mashiyach mean "Anointed Savior of Yah," or is "anointed savior of Yah" a preference of yours?
"Anointed Savior" is a preference of mine, BASED on the interpretation of his name into English and, obviously, without the name of Father included. In that and while posting, I prefer "anointed Savior" before and over "Yah's Anointed Savior" and "Anointed Savior of Yah." It's quicker and easier to type.

Oh, yeah. And even scholars agree that the vowel points of "Adonai" and "YHWH" are similar, although not identical.

US 62 @ US 81

#85241 Nov 17, 2012
Brother Lee Love wrote:
The following versions use the rendering "Jehovah."
"king James," "American king James," "Darby Bible Translation," "English Revised Version," "Webster's Bible Translation," and "Young's Literal Translation."
And those are just the ones I can find right away. Regardless, the name "Jehovah" is a transliteration of the Hebrew "Yahoweh." "Yahoweh" is from a combination of two terms. The first is "Yahh," with one syllable," and the second is "hayah," with two syllables. Combined, that makes a three-syllable rendering; "Yahoweh." In the Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary, on page 47, it shows the pronunciation to be "yah-ho-waw."
Your Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary was published in the 19th century and has been superseded by modern scholarship.
You continue to hang on to your false assumptions/presuppositions even when irrefutatble evidence proves you wrong. When Yahweh is used at the beginning of a compound name the vowel changes and it can only be Yeho. It can only be Yah at the end of a compound name. Whether you like it or not that is the way Hebrew grammar works.
Opinion.
Showing your ignorance. Look it up. BAGD is one of the best Hebrew lexicons available today.
Thank you. If you'll notice, all the reference numbers match those from "The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible."
What is your point? The BAGD publisher's included Strong's numbers as a convenience to readers. They could not rewrite Strong's. Read BAGD and the Jewish Encyclopedia. The 19th century Strong's is wrong. In fact there are about 15,000 errors or omissions in Strong's
There is not and never has been a Hebrew word "Jehovah!"
The "Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary" I'm referring to is found in my copy of "The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible," published by Thomas Nelson Publishers.
That dictionary is over 200 years old and does not include modern scholarship. You can choose to remain ignorant or you can read up-to-date scholarship.

US 62 @ US 81

#85242 Nov 17, 2012
Brother Lee Love wrote:
.*.*.*.Oh, yeah. And even scholars agree that the vowel points of "Adonai" and "YHWH" are similar, although not identical.
Who are these imaginary "scholars?" The Jewish Encyclopedia article that I posted documents that the vowel points for adonai were added to YHWH to remind readers to pronounce "adonai" instead of the sacred name when reading aloud.
Flygerian

United States

#85243 Nov 17, 2012
I thought Yah was an egyptian moon god?

I thought Jehovah meant God of mischief/ruin in hebrew?

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85244 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
Your Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary was published in the 19th century and has been superseded by modern scholarship.
Um...I made sure to mention that I have the NEW Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.
Allen Richards wrote:
You continue to hang on to your false assumptions/presuppositions even when irrefutatble evidence proves you wrong. When Yahweh is used at the beginning of a compound name the vowel changes and it can only be Yeho. It can only be Yah at the end of a compound name. Whether you like it or not that is the way Hebrew grammar works.
I can accept that, but I like to retain the vowel sound of His name "Yahh." "Yahowshu'a." "Yehowshu'a." Saul Goode.
Allen Richards wrote:
Showing your ignorance. Look it up. BAGD is one of the best Hebrew lexicons available today.
Still an opinion, nonetheless.
Allen Richards wrote:
What is your point? The BAGD publisher's included Strong's numbers as a convenience to readers. They could not rewrite Strong's. Read BAGD and the Jewish Encyclopedia. The 19th century Strong's is wrong. In fact there are about 15,000 errors or omissions in Strong's
~sigh~ NEW, Mr. Allen Richards. NEW.
Allen Richards wrote:
There is not and never has been a Hebrew word "Jehovah!"
Did I ever say there was? As I recall, I only stated that "Jehovah" is the transliteration of the Hebrew "Yehoweh." NOTE: I spelled it "Y-e-h-o-w-e-h" and not "Y-a-h-o-w-e-h."
Allen Richards wrote:
That dictionary is over 200 years old and does not include modern scholarship. You can choose to remain ignorant or you can read up-to-date scholarship.
Over 200 years old? Really? It was published in 1890. That's only 122 years, isn't it? And it's been revised since, hence my use of the term "new," which does appear on the cover and within the book.

“Become Love!”

Nowhere/Now here

#85245 Nov 17, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
Who are these imaginary "scholars?" The Jewish Encyclopedia article that I posted documents that the vowel points for adonai were added to YHWH to remind readers to pronounce "adonai" instead of the sacred name when reading aloud.
I wish I could remember every book I've read in the past 30 years, but I can't. Regardless, most scholars only accept the modern pronunciation of the two-syllable "Yahweh," but the fact of the matter is, all scholars agree that the actual pronunciation has been long forgotten. So, in that alone, I believe the most High appreciates the idea that some actually take the initiative to refer to Him with a personal name and not just "God," regardless of the preferred pronunciation. You want to continue calling Him "Yahweh?" That's fine with me. But, don't think that you, or anyone for that matter, has the authority to dictate to me the correct and incorrect pronunciation.

What we don't know is the reason(s) the Masoretes chose to combine the vowel-points of "Adonai" and not "'Elohiym" with "YHWH." And if you'll notice, I stated that scholars have agreed that the vowel-points of "Adonai" were only similar to those of "YHWH," but not identical. Perhaps, it's only a few scholars, but what does that matter? Facts aren't always dependent on majority acceptance. None of the scholars of your "Jewish Encyclopedia" believes that one called "Jesus Christ" in our English versions of the bible is either, the only-begotten Son of the most High, or the promised Savior of prophecy. That doesn't mean he's not.

This is, truly, one of the most fruitless discussions I've had in a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence Against God 14 min 15th Dalai Lama 790
DECIEVED Christian who believes in SUNDAY SABBATH. 20 min JesusLover 12
graven images 21 min The Truth Works 5
An Observation 28 min The Truth Works 20
Divorced wife won't reconcile with you? 31 min JesusLover 46
I'M PREPARED TO MEET GOD to defend my rejection... 37 min JesusLover 188
Is Paul a false Apostle? (Sep '13) 44 min JesusLover 4,089
Poll The Greatest Threat to America's Security 2 hr KAB 3,149
Nutter alert - headteacher claims Evolution is ... 2 hr janeebee 103
More from around the web