What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

There are 84403 comments on the www.christianpost.com story from Apr 19, 2008, titled What Divides Catholics and Protestants?. In it, www.christianpost.com reports that:

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.christianpost.com.

“Call sign: Apache One Six”

Since: Mar 11

US 62 @ US 81

#83455 Sep 16, 2012
t clms wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a fool.. I have gone further than lesson one and that is why I can tell you that lexicons are useless in translating meanings from one language to another, much less historical language translations which expand the contexts of words exponentially.
If you think you can make accurate translations from ancient manuscripts into modern English you are totally ignorant.
You can't tell me anything about languages. I taught myself to speak, read and write German when I was 12. I began to learn Greek when I and Elvis were stationed in Germany It is not my problem or my fault that you are a prejudiced fool, that you have been taught by idiots and you blindly follow those idiots. I speak four languages and read one additional language. Two of them are Biblical, except for English I learned them all the same way. Lexcions are not all but they are a big part. Lots of religious idiots try to keep their followers uninformed about Greek and Hebrew that way they can control them and tell them anything they want. You are free to remain in darkness and blindly follow your blind teachers.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#83458 Sep 18, 2012
this is a test. has this forum died? i can't believe that no one has said anything since sunday.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#83459 Sep 18, 2012
barry wrote:
this is a test. has this forum died? i can't believe that no one has said anything since sunday.
Beats me. My internet server died a gruesome Sunday noon and wasn't resurrected until this evening. I'm not going to waste time praying they pro-rate my bill.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#83460 Sep 19, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Beats me. My internet server died a gruesome Sunday noon and wasn't resurrected until this evening. I'm not going to waste time praying they pro-rate my bill.
all my active threads went dead/silent at once. just my new ones were working. i thought maybe there as something wrong with topix. i just couldn't believe that ox ran out of things to say. i hope that he is alright.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#83461 Sep 19, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>all my active threads went dead/silent at once. just my new ones were working. i thought maybe there as something wrong with topix. i just couldn't believe that ox ran out of things to say. i hope that he is alright.
Appreciate your concern....am well...I did post:

For ITB and like minded...

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
t clms

Victoria, Canada

#83462 Sep 19, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't tell me anything about languages. I taught myself to speak, read and write German when I was 12. I began to learn Greek when I and Elvis were stationed in Germany It is not my problem or my fault that you are a prejudiced fool, that you have been taught by idiots and you blindly follow those idiots. I speak four languages and read one additional language. Two of them are Biblical, except for English I learned them all the same way. Lexcions are not all but they are a big part. Lots of religious idiots try to keep their followers uninformed about Greek and Hebrew that way they can control them and tell them anything they want. You are free to remain in darkness and blindly follow your blind teachers.
Learning juvenile German and "beginning" to learn Greek does not impress me. Simple conversational language skills do not relate to translating complex cultural, analogous, and metaphoric texts which were rooted in their contemporary spiritual contexts. Our current culture and languages are simply not able to contain these historical meanings.(It is like using a rusty slotted screwdriver to fix a computer circuit-board problem.) If you do not grasp this you are simply dumb.

You must be a Jehovah's Witness or Baptist at best.
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#83463 Sep 19, 2012
the perfect idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
REALLY GOD FORCED THEM to eat their BABY.
<quoted text>
GOD FORCED THEM to eat their BABY?
I am SURE GOD PREDICTED They would eat their BABY not forced them to.
The Jews resort to Infant appetite pretty quick, it is why GOD chose them of all the people upon the Earth,
What you are not understanding is the JEWS/Hebrews are the WORST PEOPLE upon the Earth, that is why GOD CHOOSE them, to be the EXAMPLE of GODS LOVE,
GOD found LOVE for the JEW/HEBREW,
It is a Herculean task, BUT GOD found love for the JEW, the person that would eat his own CHILD if faced with 2 weeks of famine.
THE BIBLE is pretty cool to READ, READ IT.
They ATE THEIR OWN CHILDREN, made SOUP out of them and SCRABBLED about it.
IT IS IN THE BIBLE.
and as well with your jerk brainwashing unlawful approach of translations of a book in society for malagenda purpose, Then so did God also force burning ones own children as well. SPERM idiot ...yes we know.
Who were you trying to try psycho command unlawful brain control on. ILLEGAL in life and 10 times worse online. KEEP IT UP moronic pathetic fugative....

US 62 @ US 81

#83464 Sep 19, 2012
t clms wrote:
<quoted text>
Learning juvenile German and "beginning" to learn Greek does not impress me. Simple conversational language skills do not relate to translating complex cultural, analogous, and metaphoric texts which were rooted in their contemporary spiritual contexts. Our current culture and languages are simply not able to contain these historical meanings.(It is like using a rusty slotted screwdriver to fix a computer circuit-board problem.) If you do not grasp this you are simply dumb.
You must be a Jehovah's Witness or Baptist at best.
Learning other languages when I was younger gave me a step up when I formally studied both Biblical languages about 2 decades after Germany. If you have an advanced degree in an appropriate field then you might be qualfied to determine, "Our current culture and languages are simply not able to contain these historical meanings."
t clms

Victoria, Canada

#83465 Sep 19, 2012
Allen Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
Learning other languages when I was younger gave me a step up when I formally studied both Biblical languages about 2 decades after Germany. If you have an advanced degree in an appropriate field then you might be qualfied to determine, "Our current culture and languages are simply not able to contain these historical meanings."
yes, Everyone on our street has a graduate degree including me

but these ideas are taught at the undergrad level one. Eg; how do you translate Inuit symbol for snow....?/

You probably thought you were studying Biblical languages but you were probably skimming along in a delusional fog. finding a few obivous words but not comprehending the real meaning.....

Please go find some compatible minds. If there are such things. Well maybe your spiritual brothers....

You are boring...

Keep railing away... maybe someone else will respond... I have a good idea about what you will say..
""Well, I am an expert.. and have translated the dead sea scrolls one saturday afternoon bla bla""

US 62 @ US 81

#83466 Sep 19, 2012
t clms wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, Everyone on our street has a graduate degree including me
but these ideas are taught at the undergrad level one. Eg; how do you translate Inuit symbol for snow....?/
Yeah, right! Inuit? I have never studied it so I would not know.
You probably thought you were studying Biblical languages but you were probably skimming along in a delusional fog. finding a few obivous words but not comprehending the real meaning.....
Please go find some compatible minds. If there are such things. Well maybe your spiritual brothers....
Meaningless, mindless ranting. You don't know where, when or what I studied. You are just blowing smoke out the other end. I have omitted the rest of your infantile rant.
mztza

Mesa, AZ

#83468 Sep 19, 2012
what makes us divided from catholics, is the bible. thats all. by the way they teach. they only want to teach, certain parts. not the whole bible. i as a child was told that adam and eve was an old wives tale, and not all the bible is not all true. that we should listen to the priest, they have the wisdom of GOD in them. that we should confess to a catholic priest in order for our father to hear our prayers. if at any time we leave the catholic church (not GOD) we are going to burn in hell. don't take my word, check it out for yourselves, in the whole bible. the catholic church is totally contradicting the bible.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#83469 Sep 19, 2012
ITB and the like minded...

Homosexuality (from a Catholic web site)

Although it remains to be determined if homosexuality is a genetic, social or personal stigma, homosexual acts are condemned by God and can never be approved by the Church (1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Genesis 19:1-29, Romans 1:24-27 and CCC 2357).

NOTE: homosexual acts are condemned by God..WHAT YOU ARE SO PROUD OF DOING IS A HOMOSEXUAL ACT...

The act of homosexuality is a “sin that cries to heaven for vengeance (Gen 18:20)” because it separates the unity of sex between two spouses from the procreative element which is necessary to legitimize and bless a marriage. Homosexuality is unnatural because it embraces lust between same-sex partners over the purity of love in a Christian marriage. The Church teaches:

NOTE: The act of homosexuality is a sin....

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#83471 Sep 20, 2012
Oxbow, are you coming out as a bigoted person?

“Land of Entrapment”

Location hidden

#83472 Sep 20, 2012
Pilgrim_ wrote:
Oxbow, are you coming out as a bigoted person?
Pls explain how sharing what the WOrd says as in Holy Scripture is being a bigot. Are you an atheist?

Do you deny God's Word? What shall we call you then? Saying the Bible is not the Truth are you?
Perhaps you should go to a gay forum where you are welcomed with open arms. You can beat up on Christians with your other demon possesed friends there.

Location hidden

#83473 Sep 20, 2012
Hi Nijoni, got nothing against sharing the word. No I'm not an atheist or gay (funny).

What I'm objecting to is the attitude. A lack of charity.

Location hidden

#83474 Sep 20, 2012
I've noticed fundamentalist Christians, at least in the US, have an obsession bordering on neurosis with homosexuality. Why is that?
Reality

Madison, WI

#83475 Sep 20, 2012
Pilgrim_ wrote:
I've noticed fundamentalist Christians, at least in the US, have an obsession bordering on neurosis with homosexuality. Why is that?
Fear of someone that is different.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#83476 Sep 20, 2012
Pilgrim_ wrote:
be careful how you use the term fundamentalist and who you call a fundamentalist Christian.

Location hidden

#83477 Sep 20, 2012
Reality, good morning sir.

barry, please explain
barry

Rainsville, AL

#83478 Sep 20, 2012
Pilgrim_ wrote:
Reality, good morning sir.
barry, please explain
while the term fundamentalist has been hijacked by the media and society in general the term "fundamental Christian" has a distinct definition.
From the Christian perspective, fundamentalist has traditionally referred to any follower of Christ who believes that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and who believes in its literal interpretation and fundamental teachings. The fundamental Christian believes in the experience of the "new birth" which occurs when faith is placed in Christ as Savior and Lord. To the world this may be viewed as radical, but is very basic to the Christian faith.
the five points of fundamentalism: The verbal inerrancy of Scripture, the divinity of Jesus Christ, the virgin birth, a substitutionary theory of the atonement, and the physical resurrection and bodily return of Christ.
however this might be a more accurate definition.

"1. It is an essential doctrine of the Word of God and our standards that the Holy Spirit did so inspire, guide, and move the writers of Holy Scripture as to keep them from error.

"2....that our Lord Jesus Christ was born of the Virgin Mary.

"3....that Christ offered up Himself a sacrifice to satisfy Divine justice and to reconcile us to God.

"4....that on the third day He rose again from the dead with the same body with which He suffered, with, which also He ascended into Heaven, and there sitteth at the right hand of His Father making intercession.

"5....that our Lord Jesus Christ showed His power and love by working mighty miracles. This working was not contrary to nature, but superior to it."

my point is two fold. some who you would accuse of being a fundamental Christian do not clearly hold to the five points. so they really aren't very fundamental.
second as you can see, there is wiggle room between the two lists so some of us eschew the term fundamentalist Christian because for one i believe that the whole Bible is fundamental to my life as a Christian, that there is a pure doctrine, that truth goes beyond five points and i'm not going to compromise truth for anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 32 min Rosa_Winkel 8,063
White People are the Beast of the Field in the ... 35 min Sceptical_Mal 6
False Charity 49 min selatla 6
News UK government urged to show 'basic humanity' ov... 5 hr par five 3
as a fellow christian can i ask 6 hr par five 33
"40 Problems with Christianity" 8 hr little lamb 3
News August: silly season or a time for the challeng... 10 hr Elise Gingerich 1
Here is My Spiritual Dilemma ... 11 hr little lamb 98
More from around the web